Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yes, thank you. The game has competitive multiplayer there's no excuse for no online component. gently caress.

Yeah that really disappoints me. This definitely sounds like the kind of thing I'd love to screw around with in a direct fashion online. Wii U supports DLC, right? Maybe they could update it with that? Some games lately have been getting online play updates (i.e. Scott Pilgrim, Double Dragon Neon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah that really disappoints me. This definitely sounds like the kind of thing I'd love to screw around with in a direct fashion online. Wii U supports DLC, right? Maybe they could update it with that? Some games lately have been getting online play updates (i.e. Scott Pilgrim, Double Dragon Neon)

It could be patched in, but stating there are no plans for online this late in development, I don't think it's happening.

I can't see that doing anything but impacting this game's sales though, especially those who don't know what to expect out of this game. Imagine reading the back of the box of a zombie shooter on a new console that boasts a robust online component and it says "Single player only."

I hope IGN and such other sites make a huge stink about this so that maybe they'll add it in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"If you don't have real friends, don't play a Nintendo game!" ~Wario (WarioWare: Mega Party Games manual)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

"If you don't have real friends, don't play a Nintendo game!" ~Wario (WarioWare: Mega Party Games manual)

This is absolutely hilarious, but c'mon. We're all adults now with jobs and responsibilities, and gas is expensive. Can't be semi-living at eachother's houses playing Smash all day.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho
I saw some info on the upcoming Animal Crossing in a gaf thread ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492197 ) and now I want to start a band named Shank the Skunk. And I want a Wii U Crossing game that interacts with the 3DS game.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

I saw some info on the upcoming Animal Crossing in a gaf thread ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492197 ) and now I want to start a band named Shank the Skunk. And I want a Wii U Crossing game that interacts with the 3DS game.

Miiverse seems made for Animal Crossing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

quote:

Clothing types: Tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes, socks, hats, accessories

Holy poo poo, my mind was blown when I heard that the Wii one had separate tops and bottoms, this one is gonna have separate shoes and socks?!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm absolutely baffled that Nintendo still has not revealed anything other than Miiverse about their online strategy at all. Seriously we are like 2 months away and we know nothing. Local multiplayer is cool and all but I barely play local multiplayer at all ever. Goddamn man

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PonchAxis posted:

I'm absolutely baffled that Nintendo still has not revealed anything

The answer is closer than you think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo does this every time with every single thing they release, so it's not that surprising.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PonchAxis posted:

I'm absolutely baffled that Nintendo still has not revealed anything other than Miiverse about their online strategy at all. Seriously we are like 2 months away and we know nothing. Local multiplayer is cool and all but I barely play local multiplayer at all ever. Goddamn man

Not trying to be contrary or anything here, but what do you want to know?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Finally get the confirmation that there will be Live-ish tags instead of being 99% sure due to Third Parties spilling the beans left and right during interviews.

-Cross-game voice chat and text chat

-Voice chat with strangers online

These are all things we don't know, of Nintendo's new console, which claims to have a great online system, 2 months away from release.

It's nothing short of impressive in this day and age, where any employee can snap a quick video with their smartphone and "STAR FOX U TRAILER LEAKED!!!", but gently caress Nintendo and their extremely tight lid on everything.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 20, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Has there been any talk of a WiiU Endless Ocean? If this thing really can make games that look better than 360 games, I really want to see a super pretty Endless Ocean on it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

-Finally get the confirmation that there will be Live-ish tags instead of being 99% sure due to Third Parties spilling the beans left and right during interviews.

These are all things we don't know, of Nintendo's new console, which claims to have a great online system, 2 months away from release.

It's nothing short of impressive in this day and age, where any employee can snap a quick video with their smartphone and "STAR FOX U TRAILER LEAKED!!!", but gently caress Nintendo and their extremely tight lid on everything.

Am I wrong or did they imply that you could voice chat with strangers during the miiverse or perhaps the video chat demonstration?

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

This thread alone has gotten me excited for ZombiU, I am still one of those with a Best Buy pre-order though and still slightly worried about it. I definitely have had a lot of issues with them before, but there is not much other choice in my area at this point.

Edit: On the whole online solution front of things I really do not think people should keep their hopes that high with so little released at this point. Actual "gamer tags" would be a nice improvement, but I am not expecting them coming close to PSN/Xbox Live offerings. I think they would be missing out though because being able to keep your friend's list up on the controller while watching TV on a different input would be a welcome change. I would love to be able to get invites while doing something else and decide on if I want to jump in or not.

Evil Queen Bee fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 20, 2012

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Considering it's Nintendo we're talking about if nothing else I just want to be reassured they have some competently handled multiplayer. The longer they go without showing the ins and outs of it the more I expect there to be a major feature I've grown accustomed to missing or there is some weird limiting factor on it. I mean they certainly haven't changed my opinion that Nintendo doesn't care about online multiplayer yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Nintendo has this weird attitude of "trust us, it will be comparable. It's not worth talking about online, it would be like talking about breathing air. Trust me, you'll have air". But the fact is they have done nothing to earn that trust and companies who have, still go into great detail about their online systems.

They act like even providing such information would be against their marketing strategy. No one is asking for a press conference that gits over everything in painstaking detail, just a few clarifying press releases with a couple of screen shots would be fine.

My bet would be NOA is butting heads with Nintendo, Ltd as much or more over this as western press is butting heads with NOA. You can see the frustrations on their face sometimes about what they are not allowed to say.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 20, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Yeah Nintendo has this weird attitude of "trust us, it will be comparable. It's not worth talking about online, it would be like talking about breathing air. Trust me, you'll have air". But the fact is they have done nothing to earn that trust and companies who have, still go into great detail about their online systems.

Companies with dev kits know exactly what they can do. It's only potential buyers who don't know.

That said, I completely agree Nintendo should be 100 per cent open and be ready to educate everyone on everything Wii U related.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Companies with dev kits know exactly what they can do. It's only potential buyers who don't know.

That said, I completely agree Nintendo should be 100 per cent open and be ready to educate everyone on everything Wii U related.

Kotaku had an interview (or posted one) with the Tekken lead developer and he said he had no idea how the online infrastructure worked. His game has online. That could be a mistranslation, though, or him taking a question o literally and just not being a net code guy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

Kotaku had an interview (or posted one) with the Tekken lead developer and he said he had no idea how the online infrastructure worked. His game has online. That could be a mistranslation, though, or him taking a question o literally and just not being a net code guy.

I wonder about this quote. Does this guy have someone on staff who's job it is to get the online component working? ( Yes). Just because a lead developer doesn't know the ins and outs of a new system doesnt really matter. I think it's a bit out of context. Maybe not context, but the immediate implication is off. Does a random middle management stooge know how the mail room works in a new building? No there's guys that do that.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I just want to see Nintendo put enough confidence in their own online infrastructure to show it's worthwhile. I'd have expected, at bare minimum, a title announcement with the tag "It has online", even for something that's expected to have it, like the inevitable Mario Kart 8. I don't need screenshots or anything, just confirmation that they're doing something with online besides DLC or Miiverse stuff.

The fact that, as far as I know, no Nintendo titles use online outside of Miiverse is disconcerting, and makes me think Nintendo still sees online as an enhancement rather than an important way to play games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

This exactly, I feel like that would come straight out of Reggie's mouth. No one with half a brain would buy it until we see some proof.

I'm definitely optimistic with all the stuff third parties have said, but I'm scared there will be something so arbitrarily backwards in there. Like "Oh yeah miiverse and you can do cross-game chat and form parties with your friends seamlessly just like on xbox live no voice chat with strangers, it's gonna be great!"

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
We know the OS can do video calls, so there's certainly software present for voice chat. All Nintendo really needs to do is make it Friends Only or With Strangers depending on the ESRB rating of the game in question.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Isn't that why there's a warning that says "online interactions not rated by the ESRB"?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

We know the OS can do video calls, so there's certainly software present for voice chat. All Nintendo really needs to do is make it Friends Only or With Strangers depending on the ESRB rating of the game in question.

You mean dependant on user setting, I hope. Every online game has disclaimer online interactions not rated by esrb.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
It seems Kotaku is pretty awesome as usual.

quote:

What I hate is the Wii U Pro Controller.

You might be saying, "Well, you hate the Wii U Pro Controller because it looks like the Xbox controller." No. Rather, what I don't like about the Wii U Pro Controller is that it's too light. It feels like the first PS3 controller, the SixAxis, which was also too light. There's no heft to it—and the Wii U controller feels as though it's going to float out of your hand.

Thank you Mr. Ashcraft, I am glad you have informed us that the Wii U controller is filled with helium and will fly. There's a new gameplay mechanic Nintendo kept secret!

I wonder if it's really true that the force feedback is incredibly weak and unnoticable. I can't imagine why that would be the case. Maybe it's a piece of poo poo test unit or something? Though I kind of wonder why he hates the controller being so light. As for it feeling like it would "easily snap in half." ... I don't think Nintendo has a track record of releasing hardware like that.

Also, apparently a bunch of people got pissed recently at Kotaku. Something about when they released some screenshots of PS3's Batman to Wii U's Batman, they doctored the images to make the Wii U not look like as much of an improvement? I never heard anything about this, and kind of doubt it... but thought it was funny to hear a claim of this against Kotaku.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His complaints sound valid if true. The weight of the 360 controller is much better than the PS3 one. I do like to feel the rumble too. Maybe he was low on battery. I don't really plan on getting a classic pro because I would hope I can just use the gamepad for anything I want.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Sixaxis was gross and felt like a 3rd party knockoff controller, so if correct it's not the usual Kotaku complainews.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Agreed, I prefer a heavier controller. Back in the N64 days, I kept the rumble pack plugged in even when playing games without rumble because I liked the extra weight it added.

Also, the Sixaxis does feel awful with how light it is.

MaxDuo posted:

Also, apparently a bunch of people got pissed recently at Kotaku. Something about when they released some screenshots of PS3's Batman to Wii U's Batman, they doctored the images to make the Wii U not look like as much of an improvement? I never heard anything about this, and kind of doubt it... but thought it was funny to hear a claim of this against Kotaku.

Really? Does anybody have these pictures?

Edit: Never mind, found the article. Apparently it was caused by some crappy software they use for constructing articles, or something.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 20, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

It's Brian Ashcraft. Take anything he says with a few barrels of salt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It sounds like the dude wanted more of a PS3 button consistency. I wouldn't worry about the controller, the track record for hardware durability with Nintendo is usually crazy good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I've used a lot of controllers on a lot of systems. I have never noticed or cared about weight. Erganomics are much more important. The best feeling controller ever was the GameCube :colbert: they should slap a proper second analog and another shoulder button on that

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chaltab posted:

It's Brian Ashcraft. Take anything he says with a few barrels of salt.

The only thing Brian Ashcraft knows is the BWH of every Japanese idol and high school girl just by eye-balling them. That is the extent of his "gaming knowledge".

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

zenintrude posted:

The Sixaxis was gross and felt like a 3rd party knockoff controller, so if correct it's not the usual Kotaku complainews.

Yeah, a light controller is pretty annoying. I only recently got a Dualshock 3 controller and the difference between that and the Sixaxis is pretty big.
That said, I have never seen a Nintendo controller that had that "light" feeling (compared to competitors).

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

The best feeling controller ever was the GameCube :colbert: they should slap a proper second analog and another shoulder button on that

I agree on this. The wavebird is one of the best feeling controllers I've ever used. Which is funny, because I remember when the controller was announced... people were bitching that it was the worst controller ever, stupid, babby toy, etc... then the super long handles were reduced in length and people were bitching about how it was now impossible to hold and not designed for Americans. People were saying Japanese had hands half the size of most Americans so the controller was designed only for them and not for anyone in America etc etc... and then the controller was just so comfortable.

Someone did post a comment on that article of a black colored GC controller with an extra stick and the -, home, and + buttons in the center. I would love that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mercury Crusader posted:

The only thing Brian Ashcraft knows is the BWH of every Japanese idol and high school girl just by eye-balling them. That is the extent of his "gaming knowledge".

Yup, the guy is useless. After the whole FF-XIII Versus fiasco (and poo poo before that) he deserves no attention. But, y'know, Kotaku.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Yup, the guy is useless. After the whole FF-XIII Versus fiasco (and poo poo before that) he deserves no attention. But, y'know, Kotaku.

Not trying to derail, but I've tended to stay away from Kotaku. What FF13V fiasco?

As for the WiiU, what is the official word on having the Wii Sensor Bar? I've heard they all have it, I've heard none of them have it, I've heard only the Premium has it, I've heard the GamePad IS the Sensor Bar...

EDIT: whoop, looks like the front page updated last I looked at it (or I am blind). So the American releases will both have the sensor bars?. I suppose that's a relief; I'm hoping to get a WiiU to play all the good Wii games I missed out on this last generation; and I only have so much cash that can be saved up in time for the WiiU.

Aeros Wilhelm fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 20, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Veotax posted:

Agreed, I prefer a heavier controller. Back in the N64 days, I kept the rumble pack plugged in even when playing games without rumble because I liked the extra weight it added.

I'm in the same boat as you; I love when a controller has some heft to it. Hell, I like the added weight my Power Pak+ put on my 3DS. Don't like how light the Classic Controller or SixAxis controllers are, they feel so cheap.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Basically this and just how the online system will work. Will I be able to send invites to friends and they can automatically join my game like on Live/PSN/Steam.

How will the eShop work and how frequent will games be up on the service? In Japan the 3DS is getting tons of games, but the US almost barely has anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Liku posted:

I'm in the same boat as you; I love when a controller has some heft to it. Hell, I like the added weight my Power Pak+ put on my 3DS. Don't like how light the Classic Controller or SixAxis controllers are, they feel so cheap.
To be fair, the Classic Controller IS cheap. All the expensive stuff is in the Wiimote, and even the joysticks aren't very solid compared to the Gamecube versions.

• Locked thread