Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I saw while flipping through FN today that the Sandwich King guy is finally getting a prime-time show, $24 In 24. Basically, $40 A Day on a tighter budget.

With today's economy (compared to when $40 was still being filmed), I can only imagine what he has to rustle up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I predict a lot of food trucks.

Rachel Ray blew half her cash on drinks and salads.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Mu Zeta posted:

I predict a lot of food trucks.

Rachel Ray blew half her cash on drinks and salads.

She made up for it by being a terrible tipper.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I don't think I will be watching any other Food Truck Races after this is over. This is my first full season watching and the show just seems bland, even with the exaggerated drama.

I think it is BS that that one truck was charged for that lamp post. That think could have smashed her, and obviously wasn't installed properly. If a slowly opening door was enough to knock it clean ( and I mean clean, look at how smooth the cut is where it "broke") of it's base, then anyone leaning on that think or a strong wind might have as well. It didn't bend, and slowly crack, it just clean popped right off. I actually had to pause and rewind when they first teased it because I wasn't even sure the thing had wires on it, given how easily it fell over. Of course it ended up needing to have wires cut and crap, but still.

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is
On the subject of food trucks, one of my favourite comedians is hosting Eat St. which is just basically him touring around North America, showcasing interesting food trucks everywhere. It's much more easy to watch, because they give the truck owner enough time and freedom to showcase their dishes and the quirks of their truck.

And You Gotta Eat Here! hosted by yet another comedian, Jon Cartucci. I really enjoy his presence on screen and the way he and the guest restaurant owner get along. I think it's a good turn to have a non-cooking talent host something, allowing the the featured chef to just relax and do their thing without feeling like some chef personality is grading their actions and recipes.

The link to you gotta eat here has my favourite clip, from a poutine shop in Stratford, Ontario. If you can make it through TWO ads, you'll fall in love with Boomer's owner, too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think I will be watching any other Food Truck Races after this is over. This is my first full season watching and the show just seems bland, even with the exaggerated drama.

I think it is BS that that one truck was charged for that lamp post. That think could have smashed her, and obviously wasn't installed properly. If a slowly opening door was enough to knock it clean ( and I mean clean, look at how smooth the cut is where it "broke") of it's base, then anyone leaning on that think or a strong wind might have as well. It didn't bend, and slowly crack, it just clean popped right off. I actually had to pause and rewind when they first teased it because I wasn't even sure the thing had wires on it, given how easily it fell over. Of course it ended up needing to have wires cut and crap, but still.

I thought it was that the door was already open, and she moved the truck forward, hitting the lamp. Still seemed unreasonably frail, though.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

criscodisco posted:

I thought it was that the door was already open, and she moved the truck forward, hitting the lamp. Still seemed unreasonably frail, though.

I thought lamp posts were made to be frail and fall over when hit by something. So that in an accident the impact isn't so deadly.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I was watching Restaurant Impossible yesterday and noticed way too many times how much of the staff was trying not to laugh during the segments with Robert. What a sham.

Has anyone even watched Justin's show? I assume it comes on at dark 'o thirty on Saturday.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cavenagh posted:

I thought lamp posts were made to be frail and fall over when hit by something. So that in an accident the impact isn't so deadly.

Yeah, this is the case. They're designed to break away at the bottom like that as a safety feature.

Slamming into a rigid object has a greater chance of driver fatality.

I couldn't even get through one episode of the food truck race this season. Its just bad.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The dick factor of the judges is what keeps my wife and I glued to Chopped.

"No, don't put raw red onions in!"
"Its not sweet enough for her!"
"That plate is too small for their pompous eating techniques!"
"Slice your steaks, the judges are too uppity to cut their own food!"

E: I think the lampost problem was that they told her to pull forward and she backed up instead. Only the front blind was open.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 23, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

What up food network viewers. I do not count myself among you but am instead dropping in to do a little bit of showing off :D

Tomorrow, October 1, Episode 2 of 24 in 24 with Jeff Mauro premieres.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/24-in-24/los-angeles/index.html

I'm showing off because I got to be a Production Assistant for the Los Angeles episode over the course of the two day shoot. I had an absolute blast and the entire cast/crew were great. Jeff is a hilarious and down to earth guy with zero hint of arrogance. Over lunch he and I shot the poo poo about my Hawaii tattoo and he's also a Game of Thrones fan so we sperged about that for a bit at lunch. Lastly, the food was fantastic as you might expect. I'm especially lucky because the lunch bit at a place called Portos is about 3 blocks from my apartment. So I just thought you guys might get a kick out of my little adventure.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
And so the Korean truck wins. I didn't think this season was all that impressive. Which is sad since the idea of fighting for a truck did seem like a good motivating force.

The winners seem to be skipping the whole food truck anyway as they're opening a brick and mortar location in Los Angeles. later this month. I'm sure the truck will be on the road and they are good, but way to go food truck race.

Though, also the first winners, Grill 'em all, is opening a store front as well later this year.

Chopped Teens was just strange as one of the kids looked like Andy Sandberg

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Life after Top Chef tonight with Fabio :swoon: , Blais :swoon: , Jen Carroll :swoon: and Spike :effort:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Two things:

First, how loving awful is Halloween Wars? Its like Cupcake Wars with the few interesting elements ripped out and replaced with poo poo.

Second, how long does it take until FNS shows come to air? I don't follow Cooking Channel's schedule.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 7, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jscolon2.0 posted:

Life after Top Chef tonight with Fabio :swoon: , Blais :swoon: , Jen Carroll :swoon: and Spike :effort:

Blais is incredibly unhappy and acts like a douche to the other guys. Spike is still the arrogant rear end in a top hat. Jen is depressed too. Fabio is the only guy enjoying his fame and loving life.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The dick factor of the judges is what keeps my wife and I glued to Chopped.

"No, don't put raw red onions in!"
"Its not sweet enough for her!"
"That plate is too small for their pompous eating techniques!"
"Slice your steaks, the judges are too uppity to cut their own food!"

I don't really see how any of those are unfair criticisms. Except for the last one, but I don't know remember the context and based on how you framed the others I'm sure it was fair.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over Scott Conant not liking raw red onions? I guess maybe he was a little harsh the first time that contestant put raw red onions in the appetizer. But then the contestant put raw red onions in the next drat dish. That's just stupid.

I haven't watched the show in the while so maybe they really have gotten petty, but when I watched it the judges always seemed pretty fair to me, at least in their final judgements. Maybe even a little too fair for me. I mean yeah, if they were just out at a restaurant telling this poo poo to the chefs then they'd be dicks. But they're judges on competition.

What really sucked was the editing. I'm betting a lot of the things that seemed like dick criticisms were just throwaway comments that had little bearing on the judges' final decision but the editing made it seem like they were the crux of their judgements.

My favorite part of the show was how the cockiest douchebags always did the worst. Every single time someone said something like "this is gonna be easy" or "I'm clearly the best chef here" in their intro segments they'd be out in one, maybe two rounds. It's nice seeing douchebags get shat on for once in reality tv, instead of constantly rewarded.

I also loved the episode a while back with the contestant who was :smith: as gently caress. He made some awful appetizer that wasn't even completed I don't think, but the judges let him through to the next round for some reason and he got his confidence back and blew the judges away. It was such a :unsmith: episode and you could really tell it changed the dude's life.

e: my biggest complaint about the show was the constraints the contestants were put under. The secret ingredients were alright when it was quality ingredients, but what is the point in seeing what a chef can do with a box of macaroni and cheese or strawberry milk powder? I think it would've been better if they had just given them one (good quality) secret ingredient per course, or just a theme for each course. They were already under crazy time constraints.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 7, 2012

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
They're not unfair in the context of the show, and that's why we like it. We like saying "oh poo poo, man, you can't just put raw onions in a salad with that guy as a judge."

I agree with you about some of the crazy ingredients. Lemonheads or cotton candy in an entree is just insane, and the judges have to pull some major mental acrobatics to justify their taste in the meal.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Arms_Akimbo posted:

First, how loving awful is Halloween Wars? Its like Cupcake Wars with the few interesting elements ripped out and replaced with poo poo.

It was great to see somebody, somewhere getting excited about Rob Zombie like he actually matters. :laugh:

Mu Zeta posted:

Blais is incredibly unhappy and acts like a douche to the other guys. Spike is still the arrogant rear end in a top hat. Jen is depressed too. Fabio is the only guy enjoying his fame and loving life.

Last night I fell asleep on the couch while drunk because I'm a classy individual. At some point my boyfriend wrestled the remote away from me and switched to that show, so I kept having drunk dreams about Richard Blais whining to me. I woke up and opened my mouth to articulate my surprise/rage over having so many awful drunk dreams about something that stupid when I realized oh god, no, those weren't really dreams.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like Halloween Wars way more than Cupcake wars. They're both poo poo but the people on Halloween wars seem to have some sort of talent.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

axleblaze posted:

I like Halloween Wars way more than Cupcake wars. They're both poo poo but the people on Halloween wars seem to have some sort of talent.

Last year was fun but it was so obvious that Bling Bats were going to win that it was sort of anticlimactic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Christopher Irvine posted:

Last year was fun but it was so obvious that Bling Bats were going to win that it was sort of anticlimactic.

It was funny that the other team pretty much had that amazing Pumpkin Carver and that was it. Like the main struggle they had was that the Pumpkin carver was crazy talented and the rest of his team were mediocre at best.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

I caught like the last 2 episodes of it this weekend and they really were way ahead of everyone else.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
And season 2 is off to a thudding start with yet another team dominating from the jump. I do like the redemption angle they're giving the girl from last season though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

And season 2 is off to a thudding start with yet another team dominating from the jump. I do like the redemption angle they're giving the girl from last season though.

They didn't seem really dominating, just that they were slightly ahead of the teams in both challenges so this season could be more interesting. It was obvious that the fat cake was going to get kicked off first though.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Was I the only one ecstatic over the chopped judges telling the healthy chef that her food was boring?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Frot Lesnar posted:

Was I the only one ecstatic over the chopped judges telling the healthy chef that her food was boring?

Haha yeah that was awesome.

Almost as good as the look on her face when the fat dude proudly stated that he just fed his two young kids Spaghettios earlier that week.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Owsla posted:

Haha yeah that was awesome.

Almost as good as the look on her face when the fat dude proudly stated that he just fed his two young kids Spaghettios earlier that week.

Although I have no way of proving this I went 4/4 this week on predicting order of elimination during the chef walkouts. In a good week I can get 1, maybe 2 in a row correct before someone decides "I'm gonna clear out the pantry" in the entree round.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

Although I have no way of proving this I went 4/4 this week on predicting order of elimination during the chef walkouts. In a good week I can get 1, maybe 2 in a row correct before someone decides "I'm gonna clear out the pantry" in the entree round.

It strikes me as funny that pure pastry chefs always seem to lose in the dessert round.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like just like Restaurant Stakeout, FN are also relaunching Mystery Diners for god knows what reason. The ads somehow make it look faker than it did before (the acting in the ads is atrocious and the cameras are now even closer and much higher quality).

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Plus they're adding in some sort of food inspectors show. Ughhhh enough already, I'll take more guy fieri over that.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I'd rather see more of the "gently caress you poor people" shows about places I could never afford than exposés about how unsanitary the restaurants I can afford to eat at are.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Sweet Genius season 3 this Thursday, glad to have Ron-Ben Israel back in the house. :chef:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm looking forward to more sweet genius but geez was season two just a handful of episodes or something?

Also, :lol: sandra lee shilling for Smirnoff

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Also, :lol: sandra lee shilling for Smirnoff

I have a feeling alcohol is an integral part of Sandra Lee's "cooking". Well, for the people eating it anyway.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Speaking of Restaurant Stakeout, that show is fake right? I don't usually harp on reality TV for that but good Christ is that show bad at it. The boss leaves and suddenly the employees are throwing food and making meth in the freezer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I have a feeling alcohol is an integral part of Sandra Lee's "cooking". Well, for the people eating it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMNZ6xY6YY&t=83s

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It's an integral part of watching, too.

Seriously, that endorsement deal is probably the most realistic one ever. It's hardly shilling if you actually use their product constantly.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
A few years ago, my wife and I watched a few shows on Food Network. Then the schedule shifted from people cooking stuff to competitions and reality. As a side note Fieri is 0/4 on the DDD recommendations he made (Studio Diner in San Diego was the worst).

The cooks they actually did retain often sucked at what they did. Sandra Lee, Rachel Rey, and the black woman that shills for Viva towels (Sunny something) were among the worst, and they almost looked like they were cooking directly out of the Betty Crocker cookbook.

We gave up on Food Network.

Recently, we changed our TV service and are now receiving the Cooking Network. Looks like Food Network part 2, very disappointing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Cooking Channel reminds me alot of MTV2. It was launched when the original network realized it wasn't doing the thing they found the network to do. Slowly they realized they stopped doing that because it was getting bad rating so they just started rerunning stuff from the other network and eventually they became the same thing. Cooking Channel isn't fully far gone yet but you can see it slowly going in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Fieri showed his own restaurant on a DDD episode and that place looked terrible. It was in the same realm of TGI Fridays or Chevy's. During the recipe demos the camera also zoomed in on the knives and of course it was the Guy Fieri brand,

• Locked thread