Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, once you can go to Daguerreo, you can basically power up all your eidolons. (Aquamarines are obtained from the shrine there rather than synthing. Lapis Lazuli are used to power up Ark.) Besides the plethora of ore sources, there's also Eiko's Jewel spell.

Worth noting is that Odin's chance of successfully killing something increases with (among other variables) the amount of ore you have. On the flip side, if using the ability Odin's Sword (so he damages if he doesn't kill), the damage he does decreases with the amount of ore you have. Whether to run around with 99 or 0-or-1 ore depends on whether you want to emphasize Odin's insta-kills or his direct damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

Yea I believe you're right about the AI. They have always been programmed to value survival above all else and 1.3 just gives them a much greater set of tools to keep themselves going. FFT actually has some really awesome AI in that they actively try to win the match.

Here's the thing though, for 99% of FFT players, 1.3 is just too hard to be any fun. The margin for error in any given match is razor thin and there is literally no way to give yourself an advantage. Leveling up actually hurts you more than helps you due to the scaling equipment and story battles.

The FFT mod community is pretty strong and there are a lot better mods out there that increase the difficulty, rebalance the game and manage to be a lot more fun than 1.3. LFT is a popular one around here (the creator is a goon) and I enjoyed FFT+ quite a bit. Hell even the EZ mode version of 1.3 is infinitely more playable and a lot of the balance changes are actually quite good.

I've played both Insane and Content versions of the PSX FFT, and am about halfway through the Insane version of WotL. I think Content is actually a better game than vanilla FFT, specially as it limits the AI in story battles without kneecapping it, and balances the jobs out so Calculator/Samurai/Black Mage/Orlandu don't obliterate any semblance of challenge and jobs like Archer/Knight/Geomancer can pull their weight.

Actually, Insane Difficulty would be way, way less dick punchy if the special AI only jobs and boss characters weren't immune to all status effects, didn't come with inherent job Def/MagDef Up stacked on top of defensive support abilities, illegal gear setups, and had less ludicrous stat multipliers.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 20, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man Adrammelech doesn't unlock anything really interesting in IZJS. I guess it makes sense for it being such an easy fight. With a Glacial staff Penelo spammed Blizzara, doing a large chunk of his HP bar each attack, and wiping out the zombie horde.

And the only interesting thing was Souleater for Fran when she's not healing. :v:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mister Roboto posted:

If people REALLY love reading about FF6, this site analyzes why FF6 is considered by many as the pinnacle of the SNES era:

http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_ff6_1.html

WHOA this is a good article. The design & mechanical analysis are solid and I really like the discussion of Kefka & the narrative "goal"--

quote:

Killing Kefka means removing a crazed demigod from power, but there's absolutely no guarantee that this will restore balance to the world. Rather, just before the final showdown, each character tells Kefka what gives him or her the strength to go on living in a ruined world. Inasmuch as this is the structural "conclusion" of the game, it stands to reason that the game is "about" the characters finding their strength and reasons for living in a broken world. So, in a sense, the quest is not to save the world, but to struggle with and overcome the tragedies and monsters that inevitably arise in it...

Kefka embodies disaster: impersonal, chaotic, incomprehensible. Much like a disaster, he brings disparate people together, including the 14 player characters.

Kefka also frames the theme of the game in a question during the final encounter. He says, "Why do people rebuild things they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr Pepper posted:

Man Adrammelech doesn't unlock anything really interesting in IZJS. I guess it makes sense for it being such an easy fight. With a Glacial staff Penelo spammed Blizzara, doing a large chunk of his HP bar each attack, and wiping out the zombie horde.

And the only interesting thing was Souleater for Fran when she's not healing. :v:

I think the Adrammelech fight is there to catch would-be explorers off guard. Wandering down there at a low level is already dangerous, then you zone in the room and you're wondering what the hell is wrong with your map. Surprise! Boss fight time!

His true purpose is of course to steal High Arcanas from, but any esper will do for that, he's just the easiest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

swamp waste posted:

WHOA this is a good article. The design & mechanical analysis are solid and I really like the discussion of Kefka & the narrative "goal"--

I think it spends too long breaking down the character stats when they practically start off by saying "with this huge cast they designed it so you could pretty much use whoever you want," but the stuff about narrative structure and leitmotifs and who gets how much dialogue was interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't usually use the word "ambitious" for gamesbut FFVI is definitely deserving of that term.

I just got done with the Opera and of course I knew it was coming. Even still, as I passed through Zoo and then went to do the opera, I reflected on how this agame is just really, really well-directed. They pull out all the stops in this game.

The locations are stunning and blow everything I saw in FFIV out of the water. (never played through V) The Phantom Forest was quite memorable even though it was really short. I dunno what they did but they made something special out of like, three or four short screens.

And I know I can't say anything about the Opera that hasn't been said dozens of times over.

It's all just really well-put together I guess is what I'm saying.

On the topic of characters, Setzer seems cool. Who doesn't like a guy who goes around abducting women with style? I'm sure there's more to him than that so that'll be interesting.

I think Shadow was somewhere around but I got him way back in Sabin's scenario and then he just left randomly. What's the point of even having him in your party if he just takes off like that?

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Shadow was somewhere around but I got him way back in Sabin's scenario and then he just left randomly. What's the point of even having him in your party if he just takes off like that?

Because he's a ninja. Everyone wants to play as the ninja.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

NikkolasKing posted:

He's just really good, that's why you'd use him. He avoids physical attacks half the time because of his dog. Plus you can get him permanently later on.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

It is my solemn belief that if you didn't grind for hours to get Rapid Fire in that room where you get the World Map in the Ship Graveyard that you played FFV the wrong way.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

glod posted:

He's just really good, that's why you'd use him. He avoids physical attacks half the time because of his dog. Plus you can get him permanently later on.
I don't remember; it's been a while. Does anyone else have passive abilities nearly as good as Shadow's 50% Evade + Interceptor? I think everyone else has pretty humdrum stats by comparison.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I resumed FFXIII today on a whim. I left off six or so months ago at the Sunleth Waterscape, and you know what? For as stupid as this game is it's a ton of fun. It's just got nice flow, you know? And I'm totally all about removing towns. I just wish upgrading weapons wasn't the most obtuse poo poo ever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CloseFriend posted:

I don't remember; it's been a while. Does anyone else have passive abilities nearly as good as Shadow's 50% Evade + Interceptor? I think everyone else has pretty humdrum stats by comparison.

Yeah the only downside to Shadow is that Throw is comparatively kind of lame since it costs resources whereas Tool/Blitz/Rage are free, and despite being expensive to fund anything but baseline shurikens it's much less versatile than Magic.

Honestly the secret to FF6 is that pretty much every one of the 14 characters is awesome for some reason or other.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Honestly the secret to FF6 is that pretty much every one of the 14 characters is awesome for some reason or other.
I think so too. I enjoyed that Game Design Forum article, but I think he exaggerated the diminution of classes. I think the game's most fun battles took place near the end of the World of Balance, when all the characters had a small, common pool of abilities but their individual special abilities/"classes" still remained relevant.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

On the other hand, petulant rear end in a top hat who makes "unbeatable" bosses and throws a shitfit like a baby when they're beaten.

So the SE development team, then. :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

So the SE development team, then. :v:

At least the FFXI dev team, certainly.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Time Mage gets Cura and Raise which is a pretty nice boost, and Hunter gets Shades of Black IIRC. Probably the most valuable thing is being able to fight more Shambling Corpses without a wroth god descending on you, though, because you can get Blood-stained Necklaces and Platinum Daggers, the latter of which is really good for your Hunter. You have a Hunter, right?

It's really starting to piss me off that, right after the game gives you the Main Gauche and encourages you to keep your Hunter decoyed so nothing will ever hit you, like 2/3 of the new marks start to ignore Evasion. Antlion is a devil unless you Aeroga spam it, let me tell you.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

At least the FFXI dev team, certainly.

Was that the Absolute Virtue boss, or Pandaemonium Warden?

I can never remember which is which.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 21, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

CloseFriend posted:

I think so too. I enjoyed that Game Design Forum article, but I think he exaggerated the diminution of classes. I think the game's most fun battles took place near the end of the World of Balance, when all the characters had a small, common pool of abilities but their individual special abilities/"classes" still remained relevant.

It's also pretty much the only part of the game that could be considered difficult, where you have to use your characters' abilities to their fullest, instead of just using whatever spell/tool kills things instantly. So that is definitely a contributing factor.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pesky Splinter posted:

Was that the Absolute Virtue boss, or Pandaemonium Warden?

I can never remember which is which.

Absolute Virtue, if I'm remembering the folktales correctly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gamma Nerd posted:

Time Mage gets Cura and Raise which is a pretty nice boost, and Hunter gets Shades of Black IIRC. Probably the most valuable thing is being able to fight more Shambling Corpses without a wroth god descending on you, though, because you can get Blood-stained Necklaces and Platinum Daggers, the latter of which is really good for your Hunter. You have a Hunter, right?

Nope. My classes are

Red Mage (Vaan)
Black Mage (Penelo)
Machinist (Balthier)
White Mage (Fran)
Breaker (Basch)
Knight (Ashe)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

The thing about that event is how ludicrously hard it is. I think last time I played on an emulator and slowed it down, and it was still tricky.

Every time I replay IX, I refuse to move on until I get it perfect. Sometimes it takes a while for me to get past the introduction.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I believe I did it the real man's way, savestating after every few button inputs.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

McDragon posted:

Every time I replay IX, I refuse to move on until I get it perfect. Sometimes it takes a while for me to get past the introduction.

That's probably the #1 reason I haven't beaten that game all the way though more than once. gently caress knows how many times I tried to run through it but got obsessed with the jumprope game, failed, and quit.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The problem with pleasing the nobles is not only that you have to press the right buttons but that you have to press them quickly. For some reason I have a harder time doing this for the command after a left/right movement than I do after the other actions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Absolute Virtue, if I'm remembering the folktales correctly.

Yeah, it was AV. I only heard half the story, but Absolute Virtue has a chance of spawning after you kill one of the endgame notorious monsters (Jailer of Love, I think?). If it does, it floats around until someone engages it or it despawns. It has every pre-Aht Uhrgan class's two-hour ability except for whatever replaced Call Wyvern and uses them all in prearranged orders, most notoriously Chainspell and Benediction. Chainspell removes the casting time and cooldown from casting spells so you can just blitz the enemy with spells for thirty seconds. AV uses it for spamming meteors like it's going out of style. Benediction I'll get to in a second.

On top of all of this bullshit, AV has approximately a 2000 hp/tick regen rate, so if you're not dealing shitloads of damage constantly it'll heal it all back pretty quickly. Considering Meteor has a good chance of wiping large swathes of your alliance each cast, this can be kind of tricky. Assuming you manage to pull it off, though, there's always Benediction to deal with. Benediction is a full party heal; that is, it heals the entire party to 100% health or 55 thousand health, whichever is less, but really at that point who cares, it's 100%. Before the devs finally caved and revealed the strategy there was an endgame linkshell on my server, Odin, that fought the thing for 23 hours, getting it to fifty percent health. At that point it Benedictioned twice in a row, healing itself to full, then Chainspelled and wiped the entire alliance currently engaging it. Needless to say, they were kind of annoyed by the whole thing.

Finally, people figured out a glitchy way to kill the thing. Basically, there was a wall somewhere in the zone that it could get stuck on and if you found the right range from there an alliance of Black Mages could spam spells at it in perfect absolute safety. Next patch, the devs gave AV a vortex ability that drew you closer to it whenever it used it, so that was effectively removed. I'd have been OK with that, personally, it was a stupid cheesy strategy that should have been removed. The problem started when people figured out another couple strategies to kill it, only for the devs to patch them out because they weren't the "official" strategy. No one had actually figured out the official strategy because it was needlessly obtuse arcane bullshit that you would have no reason to try ever, but the devs didn't care. They'd drop stupid coy little hints occasionally that weren't helpful at all, then ignore it for a while. This was about the point I stopped paying attention, so maybe someone else can fill in the rest, but I think they finally caved and revealed how to kill the fucker eventually.

Point is, gently caress AV, gently caress SE, and gently caress everything else

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Boten Anna posted:

That's probably the #1 reason I haven't beaten that game all the way though more than once. gently caress knows how many times I tried to run through it but got obsessed with the jumprope game, failed, and quit.

FFIX is actually the game that cured me of my OCD need to get 100% completion files on games. I was in my final year of university when it came out and I had better things to do than jump ropes, race Hippaul and try to get the Excalibur II.

...at least until FFXII came out and I loved it so much I spent every evening for six months exploring EVERYTHING. :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

FFIX is actually the game that cured me of my OCD need to get 100% completion files on games. I was in my final year of university when it came out and I had better things to do than jump ropes, race Hippaul and try to get the Excalibur II.
Racing Hippaul still only takes like thirty minutes, fifteen if you used to play piano, and like five if you have a programmable autofire thing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Man, if getting a perfect score is keeping people from playing FF9, just imagine how they'd be playing FF2nes for the first time back then.

I HAVE GOT TO WIN THIS FIRST BATTLE DAMMIT, RESTARTING AGAIN.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 21, 2012

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, it was AV. I only heard half the story, but Absolute Virtue has a chance of spawning after you kill one of the endgame notorious monsters (Jailer of Love, I think?). If it does, it floats around until someone engages it or it despawns. It has every pre-Aht Uhrgan class's two-hour ability except for whatever replaced Call Wyvern and uses them all in prearranged orders, most notoriously Chainspell and Benediction. Chainspell removes the casting time and cooldown from casting spells so you can just blitz the enemy with spells for thirty seconds. AV uses it for spamming meteors like it's going out of style. Benediction I'll get to in a second.

On top of all of this bullshit, AV has approximately a 2000 hp/tick regen rate, so if you're not dealing shitloads of damage constantly it'll heal it all back pretty quickly. Considering Meteor has a good chance of wiping large swathes of your alliance each cast, this can be kind of tricky. Assuming you manage to pull it off, though, there's always Benediction to deal with. Benediction is a full party heal; that is, it heals the entire party to 100% health or 55 thousand health, whichever is less, but really at that point who cares, it's 100%. Before the devs finally caved and revealed the strategy there was an endgame linkshell on my server, Odin, that fought the thing for 23 hours, getting it to fifty percent health. At that point it Benedictioned twice in a row, healing itself to full, then Chainspelled and wiped the entire alliance currently engaging it. Needless to say, they were kind of annoyed by the whole thing.

Finally, people figured out a glitchy way to kill the thing. Basically, there was a wall somewhere in the zone that it could get stuck on and if you found the right range from there an alliance of Black Mages could spam spells at it in perfect absolute safety. Next patch, the devs gave AV a vortex ability that drew you closer to it whenever it used it, so that was effectively removed. I'd have been OK with that, personally, it was a stupid cheesy strategy that should have been removed. The problem started when people figured out another couple strategies to kill it, only for the devs to patch them out because they weren't the "official" strategy. No one had actually figured out the official strategy because it was needlessly obtuse arcane bullshit that you would have no reason to try ever, but the devs didn't care. They'd drop stupid coy little hints occasionally that weren't helpful at all, then ignore it for a while. This was about the point I stopped paying attention, so maybe someone else can fill in the rest, but I think they finally caved and revealed how to kill the fucker eventually.

Point is, gently caress AV, gently caress SE, and gently caress everything else

Eventually SE dev released a video of themselves killing it to prove it could be done. The immediate impact was figuring out how to deal with the regen. It involved doing a thing with the boss you killed before AV spawned that was hella obtuse and would have never been figured out. You could either get the regen down to manageable or negate it.

Then SE released Alexander for summoners, which could make everybody in a party immune for a long rear end time, and people started to zerg AV down while immune. SE decided to just say gently caress it at that point and didn't try to "fix" it. I think it was a little bit after Alexander zerging was fashionable that people confirmed how to lock AV's 2hrs. Turns out, if you have a member of your party use the corresponding 2hr whenever AV 2hrs right after he uses it, it locks that 2hr. Also, it turns out there's a pattern to his 2hr usage. I don't know if anybody has ever bothered to legitimately kill him, since Alexander zerging him is so, so much easier.

Aisar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 21, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mister Roboto posted:

Man, if getting a perfect score is keeping people from playing FF9, just imagine how they'd be playing FF2nes for the first time back then.

DAMMIT RESTARTING AGAIN.

It's a lot easier to do when you're a teenager, and have too much free time on your hands and no friends. :smith:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aisar posted:

Eventually SE dev released a video of themselves killing it to prove it could be done. The immediate impact was figuring out how to deal with the regen. It involved doing a thing with the boss you killed before AV spawned that was hella obtuse and would have never been figured out. You could either get the regen down to manageable or negate it.

Then SE released Alexander for summoners, which could make everybody in a party immune for a long rear end time, and people started to zerg AV down while immune. SE decided to just say gently caress it at that point and didn't try to "fix" it. I think it was a little bit after Alexander zerging was fashionable that people confirmed how to lock AV's 2hrs. Turns out, if you have a member of your party use the corresponding 2hr whenever AV 2hrs right after he uses it, it locks that 2hr. Also, it turns out there's a pattern to his 2hr usage. I don't know if anybody has ever bothered to legitimately kill him, since Alexander zerging him is so, so much easier.

Every story I hear about FF11 sounds like some variety of MMO horror story.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

AV is such a small part of FFXI that's been blown way, way out of proportion. The thing you have to remember about FFXI is that it has way, way more relevant content at both 75, when AV was relevant, and 99, now, than any MMO short of EQ1 did. You could literally average 10 hours a week for a whole year back at 75 cap with an already level capped character, never even step into the zone where AV exists, and still have tons of relevant untouched content that would have meaningful upgrades to your character. Very few people actively involved in endgame gave a poo poo because they had tons and tons of things to do besides dick around with an unbeatable boss.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Apparently Final Fantasy III is coming to PSP on Tuesday. Yeah, they're just going to put it up on the Sony store on Tuesday. Just like that, with no fanfare.

It's the same as the DS version I believe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That's because of selection bias. The bullshit nightmare fuel stuff makes for better stories than the fun content does so you hear about it more. There was actual enjoyable content in the game.

e: or yeah what Aisar said

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 21, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Belzac posted:

Apparently Final Fantasy III is coming to PSP on Tuesday. Yeah, they're just going to put it up on the Sony store on Tuesday. Just like that, with no fanfare.

Looks like a SLIGHT visual update, but that just be because of the PSP's screen quality.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fungah! posted:

That's because of selection bias. The bullshit nightmare fuel stuff makes for better stories than the fun content does so you hear about it more. There was actual enjoyable content in the game.

"Nightmare fuel" is selling it a little high. Whenever people tell me about the "fun content" it always sounds eye-rollingly pre-WoW, Asian MMO fodder with a terrible UI and lots of auto attack that makes me wonder who approved the design docs.

This thing with the unkillable boss is just the pinnacle of that mindset, that's all.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 21, 2012

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

"Nightmare fuel" is selling it a little high. Whenever people tell me about the "fun content" it always sounds eye-rollingly pre-WoW, Asian MMO fodder with a terrible UI and lots of auto attack that makes me wonder who approved the design docs.

This thing with the unkillable boss is just the pinnacle of that mindset, that's all.

FFXI has way more in common with Everquest than with any other Asian MMO save FF14 perhaps. I guess that's pre-WoW, but it's certainly nothing like any other Asian MMO I've played.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Belzac posted:

That's because it's IIIDS. It deserves no fanfare and shall get none.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Belzac posted:

It's FFIII, what do you expect? I mean, it's not as bad as 2 or 8, but are you really surprised they don't give a drat? Meanwhile, FF Type-0 still remains in the state of Schroedinger's Localization, a game people actually want to see released in the West.