Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does Classic Controller Pro have any better heft to it? Because I have a regular CC and I'd prefer to grab a CCP for my copies of Xenoblade and Last Story when the Wii U drops.

Unrelated topic but MAN was Xenoblade hard to find. I had to drive out like 2 hours to some EB Games in the middle of nowhere to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The CCPro feels a bit sturdier just because the grips make holding it more natural. It makes using the sticks feel better. And the Z button placement is vastly better. I don't think it weighs enough more to be noticeable, though I haven't used a straight non-bootleg (don't ask) version in several years.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The CCPro is a bit heavier but altogether it's just a very comfortable controller regardless of weight. At least, that was my experience.

Good to hear you got Xenoblade, it definitely helped provide a monster hunting fix especially once you get out to the Gaur Plains / Bionis Leg. There are characters that let you pretend you're SnS, Lancer/Hammer, Gunner, even :v:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

Not trying to derail, but I've tended to stay away from Kotaku. What FF13V fiasco?
Basically, Kotaku reported that Versus had been cancelled, and a whole bunch of people saw it and commented. Their sources: absolutely nothing, Kotaku apparently made it up, and Square-Enix said "yeah no it's still happening".

I've not tried the CCPro, but the CC is kinda annoying to use since it really doesn't mesh in your hands, and it always has this really long Wiimote extension lead on it which, while not a big factor, does get kinda annoying after a while.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Allan Assiduity posted:

Basically, Kotaku reported that Versus had been cancelled, and a whole bunch of people saw it and commented. Their sources: absolutely nothing, Kotaku apparently made it up, and Square-Enix said "yeah no it's still happening".

I've not tried the CCPro, but the CC is kinda annoying to use since it really doesn't mesh in your hands, and it always has this really long Wiimote extension lead on it which, while not a big factor, does get kinda annoying after a while.

To be fair, that game will probably never come out.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
When Miiverse was first announced, I'm pretty sure Iwata mentioned that it would be the backbone for invites, voice chat, user-generated content, DLC, etc. It seems obvious for a console built around social networking. I remember reading Friend Codes still exist, but the process is "dramatically easier" or something. I think I read that the friend code process is now more or less like sending a Facebook friend request. It's confirmed that there will be different parental control settings, so it will probably hinge on what setting you choose when you set up the console.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 21, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

I've used a lot of controllers on a lot of systems. I have never noticed or cared about weight. Erganomics are much more important. The best feeling controller ever was the GameCube :colbert: they should slap a proper second analog and another shoulder button on that

N64 is my favorite followed by the 360 controller. I Could never get a handle on the game cube one, some of the main buttons were really hard to hit or had poor travel.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Policenaut posted:

Does Classic Controller Pro have any better heft to it? Because I have a regular CC and I'd prefer to grab a CCP for my copies of Xenoblade and Last Story when the Wii U drops.

The shoulder buttons have better placement and the handles are a must, but the shoulder buttons are a bit too mushy and the controller still weighs nothing and feels hollow (because it is). Still, the best controller for the Wii though.

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 21, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rake Arms posted:

When Miiverse was first announced, I'm pretty sure Iwata mentioned that it would be the backbone for invites, voice chat, user-generated content, DLC, etc. It seems obvious for a console built around social networking. I remember reading Friend Codes still exist, but the process is "dramatically easier" or something. I think I read that the friend code process is now more or less like sending a Facebook friend request. It's confirmed that there will be different parental control settings, so it will probably hinge on what setting you choose when you set up the console.

The thing is there's a lot of "probably" and "most likely" when anyone talks about the U's online, and all signs point to yes when you look at third party interviews, but as others have said Nintendo has done nothing to generate trust in their online policy.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The thing is there's a lot of "probably" and "most likely" when anyone talks about the U's online, and all signs point to yes when you look at third party interviews, but as others have said Nintendo has done nothing to generate trust in their online policy.

I know, that's why I'm reduced to over-analyzing everything they have said. I just really want them to do this one right :smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/20/tgs-dragon-quest-x-wii-u-gameplay-demonstration

It's good to be a Wii U owner. :smug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Has Nintendo said anything about localizing DQ10? This looks like something I'd love to play on Wii U but they were really quiet about the Wii version.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Has Nintendo said anything about localizing DQ10? This looks like something I'd love to play on Wii U but they were really quiet about the Wii version.

I think it's safe to say the Wii version is dead. I mean what would be the point of releasing it when the console will be several months obsolete?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

That honestly doesn't look much better than DQ8 on the PS2 that released back in... 2006 I think? I don't know if that's a knock against the Wii U or a testament to how good DQ8 is though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

That honestly doesn't look much better than DQ8 on the PS2 that released back in... 2006 I think? I don't know if that's a knock against the Wii U or a testament to how good DQ8 is though.

It is a knock against the Wii U. But I mean, it's loving dragon quest. Plus this poo poo is online and massive and probably has hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't heard anything, but Nintendo's strategy with DQ seems to be not saying a word about them until a month before release.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to seeing something streamed to the gamepad. That footage of DQX on it was so smooth and gorgeous. I have never once played an MMORPG in my life, but DQX will be my first.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is a knock against the Wii U. But I mean, it's loving dragon quest. Plus this poo poo is online and massive and probably has hundreds of hours of gameplay.

It's more a knock against the Wii since isn't the Wii U version pretty much just the Wii version with a few easy graphical upgrades and gamepad support?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Commissar Ken posted:

It's more a knock against the Wii since isn't the Wii U version pretty much just the Wii version with a few easy graphical upgrades and gamepad support?

It's basically DQX Wii but at a higher resolution, so yeah.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't heard anything, but Nintendo's strategy with loving everything seems to be not saying a word about them until a month before release.

That fits pretty well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If the WiiU version of DQX supports running on just the gamepad, then wouldn't that make it, in a limited sense, the first handheld MMO? I guess there are some that run in browsers that can be played on a smartphone, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^^Phantasy Star Online 2 is getting a Vita version, which they showed off footage for at TGS as well.

Dragon Quest has always bathed in simplicity. I see nothing wrong with DQX's graphics.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Isn't that Enix' style with Dragon Quest? They don't really have any history of going graphic heavy with those games as far as I remember.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

If the WiiU version of DQX supports running on just the gamepad, then wouldn't that make it, in a limited sense, the first handheld MMO? I guess there are some that run in browsers that can be played on a smartphone, though.

iOS has had that Order and Chaos WoW clone for awhile now.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

Policenaut posted:

iOS has had that Order and Chaos WoW clone for awhile now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Kingdom:_Own_the_World

There was an MMO for the N-gage.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Sega should really bring back Pocket Kingdom for 3DS or Vita. More games need to get all meta like that.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The N-gage was a fever dream I had once after being stung by a radscorpion in the brain. I will hear no different explanation.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

N64 is my favorite

Really? I've been called a nintendo fanboy before, but I didn't even like the N64 controller. There was always a third of it that was just pointless (usually the left third)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't heard anything, but Nintendo's strategy with DQ seems to be not saying a word about them until a month before release.

They put a fair amount of promotion into DQ9 but it was all really weird poo poo like getting middle-aged women to play it at their book club meetings, and throwing DQ-themed slumber parties for pre-teen girls.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They put a fair amount of promotion into DQ9 but it was all really weird poo poo like getting middle-aged women to play it at their book club meetings, and throwing DQ-themed slumber parties for pre-teen girls.

I'll hand it to them for doing something different. They really put an :effort: in their promotion for DQVI and DQMJ2 though. I'll hope they do something more for DQX and Terry's Wonderland. I'll take a short tweet from NOA just announcing their existence at this point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Were those the commercials with Seth Green? They were loving awesome. :colbert:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nintendo with its lame celebrity ads. They should just back off, Square knows what it's doing.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Holy poo poo, they managed to cram the menu from the very first game into a real-time RPG. I guess you move with the left stick and choose menu options with the d-pad? I guess Xenoblade did something similar.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

It's basically DQX Wii but at a higher resolution, so yeah.

Still looks purty though. I hope they use really excessive heat blur and frame buffer effects in fights like they did in DQ8. poo poo had very satisfying but simple special effects.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

A thought: if Nintendo TVii ever supports TiVo Stream, it could theoretically stream live TV through the console (since TiVo can replace your cable box).

AgentF
May 11, 2009

kater posted:

Nintendo with its lame celebrity ads. They should just back off, Square knows what it's doing.

You call that a Dragon Quest celebrity ad? This is a Dragon Quest celebrity ad!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Almost Smart posted:

No the character models are all a much higher polygonal count and the textures are a higher resolution. While DQ8 had cell shading, the models were not that smooth and refined.

boom boom boom posted:

Has there been any talk of a WiiU Endless Ocean? If this thing really can make games that look better than 360 games, I really want to see a super pretty Endless Ocean on it.

I want the ability to run in the next game. While the Fish and Marine mammal models were very well done, the human ones walked and looked like they were made of wood. Endless Ocean 1 and 2 were really one of the more demanding games that pushed the Wii to the full extent. Having a third one do the same to the Wii U would be wonderful. However nothing has been said about a sequel, alot of magazines did not like the second game because they found it too boring or whatever.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 21, 2012

LtOrange
Apr 3, 2012
At the moment the only game I want is MH 3 ultimate but that is a long time coming. A DQX localization announcement would really justify a purchase of the system for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MH3U is out in March, which in the scheme of things isn't really much of a wait.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MH3U is out in March, which in the scheme of things isn't really much of a wait.

It's 4-5 months out into the system's cycle. While it's still first quarter of 2013, that's still a good amount of time.

I just hope there's going to be worthy games releases for the WiiU from now until Monster Hunter. :ohdear: I know the Wii releases are stopping dead in their tracks come November, it's gonna be like Microsoft did with the Original Xbox when the 360 launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Were those the commercials with Seth Green? They were loving awesome. :colbert:

I don't want to ever meet you

• Locked thread