Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

OP updated with b-mobile and wi2 in the visitor section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tarepanda posted:

Probably speed.

Despite what all the Amazon reviews were saying I was getting pretty good speeds, so I doubt that's it. The only difference I could find skimming through the page was that the visitor version activates automatically 2 days after shipping, so it's probably more about charging a premium just because they can.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Keito posted:

Despite what all the Amazon reviews were saying I was getting pretty good speeds, so I doubt that's it. The only difference I could find skimming through the page was that the visitor version activates automatically 2 days after shipping, so it's probably more about charging a premium just because they can.

So should I go with the 14 day prepaid version? They both seem to die after 14 days.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

PowerLlama posted:

So should I go with the 14 day prepaid version? They both seem to die after 14 days.

It's your choice. Be aware the unlimited data one is limited in speed (3G only IIRC).

Both visitor SIMs are only valid for 14 days, but the regular version 1GB card can be used for 30 days. That's what I was talking about.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B005LAZDVK/

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

OP needs some big updates, iPhone 4S has been available on AU for a good half year now.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I know, I have one. What other updates did you have in mind?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

How do you like the iPhone on au? My contract ends right about when the new iPhone is supposed to come out, so I am thinking about ditching Softbank for them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've never had an iPhone on Softbank so can't make a direct comparison. But there have been a few instances where all of my Softbank iPhone friends have no reception but I'll have 3-4 bars. Typically underground or in more remote parts of the country.

Until Softbank rolls out more of their "Platinum Band" au will probably have the edge reception-wise. From what I've read there's only a handful so far... not sure how quickly they plan on rolling out 900MHz support to the rest of their towers.

The first few months were crap because KDDI didn't even support some basic features like iMessage and Facetime, but that's no longer a problem.

From a price standpoint they're virtually the same, as far as I know. However in my case I also use KDDI internet at home ("au Hikari") so get additional discounts. Works out pretty well -- 1Gbps FTTH, 25min talk time, unlimited 3G data, and landline for ~10,000 yen on one bill.

I also find the KDDI customer service/billing website much easier to use...

So not a HUGE difference but I'd say worth switching, if you don't mind throwing out your keitai email address.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

zmcnulty posted:

So not a HUGE difference but I'd say worth switching, if you don't mind throwing out your keitai email address.

au doesn't give you two?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oh they give you a keitai address (a single one, not sure what you mean by "two"). But you can't keep your @i.softbank.jp or @softbank.ne.jp one, is what I meant.

I just switched everything to gmail, never used the au keitai address they gave me. Only one of my contacts (out of dozens) whined because apparently he has PC mail blocked. For everyone else I'm just using gmail, SMS, iMessage, LINE, etc so they don't care.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 16, 2012

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the informative post!

Yeah, I live in Tottori, so we will probably get platinum band upgrades about the same time as the Ogasawara islands.

Hopefully the timing works out.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I know, I have one. What other updates did you have in mind?

I was also trying to find more information about comparing 4G services, but the Softbank and Docomo websites aren't very informative on the fact. All I know is WiMax is only an small standard charge on top of the data plan for AU phones.

There's also the video services that are starting up, Docomo early start with dMarket seems to have the edge but AU's video pass is hot on their heels. Haven't heard of anything from Softbank yet.

And I think wi-fi enabled Softbank phones should now have free access to Softbank wi-fi spots, which is a definite advantage considering that they're the only wi-fi spots I ever see.

Edit: Oh, and I guess there's also appli-hodai services to consider as well, but AU's is so full of crap it's hardly worth talking about, let alone paying for.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 16, 2012

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

And I think wi-fi enabled Softbank phones should now have free access to Softbank wi-fi spots, which is a definite advantage considering that they're the only wi-fi spots I ever see.

They do, but I don't know if I would call them an advantage. It gets annoying real quick when you are walking around town and the Softbank wifi login screen keeps popping up while you are trying to look at a map or type an email.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, au has the same thing, au WiFi. Luckily with au we don't have the login prompt, it just connects.
They're apparently working to improve the silly "iPhone thinks it's connected but it's not" thing but I wonder how much they can really fix since iPhone.

FWIW Softbank and KDDI are both using Wi2 as their major Wifi provider, so in my experience anywhere there's softbank wifi there's also au wifi.

Thanks for the OP suggestions! Not sure 4G is worth putting in yet since Xi is essentially the only offering at this point. But the others, sure.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 17, 2012

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganguro King posted:

They do, but I don't know if I would call them an advantage. It gets annoying real quick when you are walking around town and the Softbank wifi login screen keeps popping up while you are trying to look at a map or type an email.

And this is why I turn the wifi on my iPhone on and off (I have a wireless router at home).

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Yeah, au has the same thing, au WiFi. Luckily with au we don't have the login prompt, it just connects.
They're apparently working to improve the silly "iPhone thinks it's connected but it's not" thing but I wonder how much they can really fix since iPhone.

Looks like it will improve on the OS-level as well.

harperdc posted:

And this is why I turn the wifi on my iPhone on and off (I have a wireless router at home).

Word. Having a quick wifi toggle is pretty much the only reason I jailbreak anymore.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oh fantastic, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I've been pretty happy with the AU iPhone's speeds for the most part, things like Youtube seem to load much quicker than my SB friends.

Still though, the coverage in Ikebukuro is horrendous, I go there on a regular basis and it takes ages for anything to load, if it does. It's worst at the station but even the radius of a few blocks is unbearable during evenings and weekends. Incredibly frustrating, no other stations give me this problem, Shinjuku and Shibuya are fine. No idea if SB has the same problem or not.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Supposed leak of Docomo's lineup for Winter 2012/2013:
http://www.androidnoodles.com/2012/08/samsung-lg-sony-will-be-launch-nexus-in-this-winter/

Some highlights include water cooling(?), Fujitsu updating the LOOX, something from Sharp called a "NetWalker Phone" with Windows RT (probably a refresh of this), Xperia Nexus, etc.

Kagemusha
Sep 30, 2005

Don't worry! I'll fix it!
Windows RT is Windows 8 on an ARM processor, so it maybe a tablet.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Right, Windows RT might be the last chance for Japanese manufacturers to get a piece of the tablet market. Since they obviously missed the Android boat.

However in Sharp's case I assume that it will be Japan-only... very cloudy future for them :(
Quite a shame because Sharp is one of my favorite technology companies.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got a friend who bought an unlocked iPhone 4S on Yahoo Auctions, then activated it on docomo. He does the 6GB/mo plan and is pretty happy with it, I think he wound up coming out ahead financially.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

zmcnulty posted:

Right, Windows RT might be the last chance for Japanese manufacturers to get a piece of the tablet market. Since they obviously missed the Android boat.

I feel like Japanese manufacturers didn't miss the Android boat so much as they tried to build a giant Godzilla statue, hold a party, film a movie, and make a house on top of it. At the same time.

zzz
May 10, 2008
Just noticed that finally there's reception on the subway, at least on my commute (hibiya line).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Lots of people mentioned that on my facebook feed too. Finally!
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2012/pdf/20120827Metronews_keitaiarea.pdf

Hibiya, Chiyoda, Marunouchi, and Namboku at this point, other lines before the end of the year.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

zzz posted:

Just noticed that finally there's reception on the subway, at least on my commute (hibiya line).

Never on the lines I use...

Hell, in Meguro, I can't even get reception in the station itself.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Added this to the OP:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/xcom-global-launches-lte-data-for-travelers-at-18-a-day/

Sounds like a decent option, especially if your hotel doesn't have free internet. However from what I've heard e-mobile's coverage is nothing to write home about.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2012

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

If anyone's interested, Softbank and au are both starting their iPhone 5 preorders today at 4 p.m. Haven't seen anything about plans or prices yet.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Others may be interested to know that one particular model of the iPhone 5 is compatible with Docomo Xi:
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2012/09/iphone-5-will-be-compatible-with-ntt.html

Doesn't mean you'll start seeing iPhones in Docomo shops but anyway.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of which, is anyone in here actually using an unlocked phone on Docomo? I'm interested in knowing if and how the docomo.ne.jp email addresses work on a non-Docomo phone.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Ganguro King posted:

Speaking of which, is anyone in here actually using an unlocked phone on Docomo? I'm interested in knowing if and how the docomo.ne.jp email addresses work on a non-Docomo phone.
Supposedly you can't get a docomo.ne.jp address with a SIM card only plan. The Docomo.ne.jp addresses are only on the SPMode system and those plans can only be bundled with phones bought through Docomo; least thats how I understood it when I was attempting to get a SIM card only plan for my phone from the US. The stupid part about the SIM card only phones is they won't give you the Access Point information so you can connect to the proper data network. Hence why I eventually just got a normal Docomo phone+plan. Later on when I searched the net I was able to find the info but the stores were not helpful in the least bit.

Theoretically you might be able to use Spmode if you already had a smartphone that was signed up for it, but Docomo won't give you the plan otherwise. For SIM card only phones, they'll have you sign up for "moperaU" which gives you an @moperau.jp address or something; not a docomo.ne.jp one.

Its also worth noting that even if you succeded in getting on the SPMode network, you would still probably need the SPMode android app to access docomo.ne.jp email.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be in the country for about 2 weeks. I currently have a verizon iphone 4S that hasn't been unlocked. I don't plan to be needing to make too many phone calls, especially if I can get online with hotel wifi in the evenings. What's my best option? All this cell phone stuff makes my head spin.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I just went to SoftBank and AU today and asked about the iPhone 5.

If I understood them right,

1. AU has tethering only? for iPhone 5. It costs like 525en a month for up to 7gb of download. If you surpass that your speed gets throttled to 128kb/s or something like that. There is some sort of deal where if you apply for that before the end of the year, the fee is waived.

2. They're both offering LTE networks, but rollout seems slow in more inaka areas. Neither company could give me any idea when it would get to my area in Miyazaki, Kyushu.

I mostly only jailbreak for tethering, so, um...if I switched to AU I wouldn't have to like stress everyday about when the next jailbreak is coming.

I really wanted LTE though :(

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 16, 2012

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Holy poo poo, is this true?
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2012/09/ios-6-maps-fail-in-japan.html

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Yes. There have been numerous stories talking about how horrible the Apple Map is. The only work around at the moment is to use maps.google.com to get directions and what not. The maps they bought are horrific, apparently from TomTom and of poor quality. If the backlash keeps up, it probably won't last a week before Google Maps is back.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Hahaha, those maps are really bad. The ones of the busy station areas like Shinjuku compared to the old Google maps make the Apple ones look like they were from 50 years ago or something. The Google Maps app can't come soon enough.

What an embarrassment. Apparently Siri still hasn't been properly localized, people who ask for the scores of Giants or Tigers games can only get the MLB data.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Original_Z posted:

Hahaha, those maps are really bad. The ones of the busy station areas like Shinjuku compared to the old Google maps make the Apple ones look like they were from 50 years ago or something. The Google Maps app can't come soon enough.

What an embarrassment. Apparently Siri still hasn't been properly localized, people who ask for the scores of Giants or Tigers games can only get the MLB data.

I wonder if Apple Japan is given a lot of leeway to make the Japan localization how they want. It could explain why the localization has been so slow.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Kenishi posted:

I wonder if Apple Japan is given a lot of leeway to make the Japan localization how they want. It could explain why the localization has been so slow.

They got their data from increment p corporation which seems to have pretty decent map data but mostly for streets and driving, but not public transit (subways have no exit numbers). When comparing iOS 6 maps to the sample increment p maps it was clear that apple must have bought the ghetto maps from 10 years ago or some incomplete poo poo. they done hosed up. Google up increment p to check it out.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Heads are going to roll here. I wonder if the Japanese providers will try to prevent the rollout of iOS 6 since it's obviously going to suck rear end.

Has it already rolled out here?

I wonder if this would have happened under Jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

Heads are going to roll here. I wonder if the Japanese providers will try to prevent the rollout of iOS 6 since it's obviously going to suck rear end.

Has it already rolled out here?

I wonder if this would have happened under Jobs.

People are getting their iPhone 5s from today. I was using my friends to check out maps. Also iOS 6 went live already so anyone who jumped on it right away better learn maps dot google dot com.

• Locked thread