Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Olly Moss is kinda pissed that Gearbox directly stole parts of his Star Wars posters for the Borderlands 2 poster in the art book.

Well not pissed, just upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

rikatix posted:

Alright well while we're at it with noob questions, does anyone know why I lag so badly when I connect to a friend's game? I don't usually have this problem with FPS's and I have a fast internet connection. Are there some ports I need to forward or something?

The game uses p2p hosting instead of dedicated servers. Either you or your friend are having internet troubles or he's on the other side of the country/in some other country or some other thing.

edit: I'm not entirely sure but I think the host is the one who handle the internet stuff, so make sure whoever hosts your games has the most stable connection.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah its one of the options. I don't remember offhand which menu its under though.

I think it's under Gameplay and you might have to scroll down to see it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Olly Moss is kinda pissed that Gearbox directly stole parts of his Star Wars posters for the Borderlands 2 poster in the art book.

Well not pissed, just upset.
I understand where he's coming from, and they probably should have thrown him a nod, but it's not like they ripped him off or anything. It's a similar style that was inspired by his work, that's it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm not much of buff on graphics technology, but I had a friend mention that even though we've found this mysterious 'Allow D3d11" option that everyone (including me) is claiming makes the game look better and enabled DX11, it doesn't actually do anything. His position was that even though UE3 supports DirectX 11, there have to be dx11 versions of something (shaders, I think he said) in order for it to actually work.

Have we gotten a confirmation as to what this AllowD3d11 feature really does? there any game developers around who can explain exactly why/why not DX11 can be turned on with one ini file change?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

StabMasterArson posted:

I just want this game to end
Hit Escape, and then quit, voila game has ended.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm not much of buff on graphics technology, but I had a friend mention that even though we've found this mysterious 'Allow D3d11" option that everyone (including me) is claiming makes the game look better and enabled DX11, it doesn't actually do anything. His position was that even though UE3 supports DirectX 11, there have to be dx11 versions of something (shaders, I think he said) in order for it to actually work.

Have we gotten a confirmation as to what this AllowD3d11 feature really does? there any game developers around who can explain exactly why/why not DX11 can be turned on with one ini file change?

Yeah, I haven't noticed a difference and the game still shows up as DX9 when the app is cycled through on the windows desktop.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

So still no solutions for connecting to friends' games? I have a handful of goons who's games I can connect to at will, meanwhile my one RL friend playing the game can't connect to me nor I to him. It doesn't even show his level or what quest he's on anymore. Downloading and signing up for a proxy LAN seems like a crummy solution. Gonna get him to check his ports when we get home from work today, but it's frustrating being able to play with anyone BUT the one person I want. Played the first one on ps3 and recall similar issues and can't remember how we fixed it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
This is possibly the greatest idea for a quest I've ever seen (Eridium Blight):

Handsome Jack gives you a quest where you have to Kill yourself! Or don't!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Has anyone done "Out of Body Experience"? This boss kicks my rear end.

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
I've been hearing a lot of love from people for Axton and Zero, but not nearly enough for Maya. Going down the cataclysm tree with elemental guns (I pretty much only use a corrosion and a fire gun, depending on if im fighting robots or not) and I can wipe out an entire group in a second.

She is pretty fragile, and the suicide bombers wreck my poo poo when they catch me, but god drat she can deal some damage. I was running Axton before this, and while the rocket turret can gently caress some stuff up it is nowhere near what Maya can do. Phase lock someone at the begining of a fight, shoot everyone else with ricochet off that dude while they burn and corrode from the phase lock blast.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I understand where he's coming from, and they probably should have thrown him a nod, but it's not like they ripped him off or anything. It's a similar style that was inspired by his work, that's it.

It's a little more than similar. :v:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

No, they literally used aspects of his Star Wars posters.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Damo posted:

I'm not one of those "burn gearbox to the ground!!!" reactionaries to this or any other mild video game drama, but I do find it kind of ridiculous the measure that companies will go to, or even discuss going to, to prevent people from cheating in what is essentially a single player w/ coop game these days. What exactly is the logic against straight up cheating if this is not a player vs. player situation? Are we not allow to use cheats or mod games we purchased anymore ever, full stop?

It's really just stupid and a bit funny. It's like if Contra were released today, you'd get your gear and levels wiped or straight up banned if you used the Konami code for 30 lives. Really modern game developers? If it is all player vs enemy, and there is no formal trade economy anyone include the developer/publisher are making any money off of, why exactly can't someone edit themselves in 250 golden keys without getting punished? At this rate, in the next Elder Scrolls game you'll get your level reset if you use the console to spawn 1000 elder cheese wheels on top of a steep mountain slope (I have totally not done that like a hundred times).

Now, editing in the DLC bonuses I understand a bit more of a gray area, however if you made it as easy as editing a few short lines in an .ini, you really cannot blame or punish anyone but yourself as a company. Again, all items aquired are purely cosmetic. Even if they weren't there is no game economy to mess up. It really hurts no one, and Gearbox should more be kicking themselves for being so stupid and inept at protecting their game assets than being so quick to threaten doling out some sort of punishment to the fans, whose eagerness and excitement for the game are the only thing driving them to cheat in the first place.

In conclusion, I really hope it's just gearbox flapping their lips to sooth the raging mountain of gamers.txt butthurt undoubtedly being hurled at them right now, and that they will eventually just quietly fix the exploit, yell at whoever was responsible for this stupidity at the company, and leave it at that.

You can't understand why they would be upset? Maybe they planned on doing promotions, which hinge on player participation, and rewarding keys and other things to the people that participate. If you can just give yourself 250 keys, why would you want to do the promotion?

That would piss me off too if I put a lot of time and effort into making something and no one did it because they'd already cheated to get the reward. Don't blame gearbox for making it easy to cheat, that's like loving another girl and then blaming your wife for not being home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those don't like too similar to me. Air ships flying over a horizon is not some novel image.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Richard M Nixon posted:

Different modes have different shader models and things like SSAO work differently, newer features in later iterations, etc.; in BL1 there was a fully functional DX10 rendering setup with complete shaders and all that crap that you could turn on no problem. It's possible that BL2 just has that option in there because they're a little sloppy and forget, but it's got defined tessellation parameters for geometry and other DX11 features that would seem to indicate that they at least dicked with it in development, no DX11 features were even spec'd out when consoles launched so it would have to have been PC-only stuff. Although it's a bit :raise: that the application's identifying text still says it's in DX9 mode. Hm.

I'll try kicking it over to OpenGL later and see if that does anything. It should be pretty damned obvious, not the least reason because you can mess with all kinds of crap with OpenGL through driver forcing. Might have to wait until Sunday, though, not looking great for "play the game," gotta make a drive with my wife up to see our nephew turn one. I don't have the heart to tell them he's not even going to get an active ability for four more years.

:shepface:

Daric posted:

You can't understand why they would be upset? Maybe they planned on doing promotions, which hinge on player participation, and rewarding keys and other things to the people that participate. If you can just give yourself 250 keys, why would you want to do the promotion?

That would piss me off too if I put a lot of time and effort into making something and no one did it because they'd already cheated to get the reward. Don't blame gearbox for making it easy to cheat, that's like loving another girl and then blaming your wife for not being home.

They can be pissed off and not do anything about it except fix their glaring mistake. Which is what they did, so "we're cool," except that I don't really appreciate the desperate need to twist the knife. It's a tired, tired analogy, just shut up Randy. Already did the correct action, you can be mad and still do that and everything will be fine. No need to insult people who bought your product because the team responsible for not being totally dumb finished the promotional stuff on a Friday and were, like, totally checked out and wanted to be home by 5. Nobody stole anything, you're just insulting paying customers. Paying preorder customers, for the most part, at that, jackass.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 21, 2012

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Those don't like too similar to me. Air ships flying over a horizon is not some novel image.

Inside a silhouette of the antagonist. With an identical zig zagging path leading to the horizon.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

euphronius posted:

Look at the 'cracked' ground in both images.

Also it's not like Borderlands hasn't stolen art in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeP1YkaeTo

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Their art direction was "inspired" by a student film project, so that sort of scummy move is sadly unsurprising coming from Gearbox.

EDIT: ^^^ Exactly.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Their art direction was "inspired" by a student film project, so that sort of scummy move is sadly unsurprising coming from Gearbox.

It wasn't even a student film. gently caress, Codehunters aired on MTV for christs sake.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Look at the 'cracked' ground in both images.

Also it's not like Borderlands hasn't stolen art in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeP1YkaeTo

You have to understand, that video? Keys were in the ignition, door was totally unlocked.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Agreed posted:

Try Randy's twitter.

That's a bit after he talks about handing out a bunch of keys, first-come-first-serve, so it's clear they wanted to do promotion with the golden keys and this maybe rained on the early part of their parade, but this is a stupid-bad path for them to go down.

If they do that I'm going to buy cheathappens unlimited and fraps me opening the chest for people in co-op and upload it to his goddamn twitter.

Enzer posted:

Well no, I'm fine if they decide to wipe keys, but the president of Gearbox has thrown out two options, remove keys or wipe player inventory. It seems a bit b/s that they would wipe out an entire inventory and I doubt the gold chest marks weapons that come out of it. I just think that punishing players for something that is the developer's mistake is a bunch of b/s. :/

It does mark them, I tried putting guns into that shared stash between characters and regular drops show up but guns out of that box do not show up to be traded to your other characters.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 21, 2012

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
So, uh, how do I get into the big tower in Sawtooth Cauldron? I found the elevator below it but the button didn't work. Does a quest send me back here or something? What's the deal?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Developers have just gotten loving soft. They've all forgotten that people who play PC games are generally the kind of people who are going to fiddle with whatever they can to gain more performance and the like. If they couldn't even take 5 minutes to check that their special golden keys were handled by an editable .ini file (the same kind of willow.ini file that people are going to play around with) then it's not the players fault :colbert:

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
Still angry I can't play split screen on my tv. Also still waiting on my steam petition. The feature was advertised in the official trailer with no asterisk on how PC gamers are excluded. If I reverse the credit charge they can lock my whole steam account.

Perhaps thread title should be changed to :has no split screen co-op?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

angrynaut posted:

So, uh, how do I get into the big tower in Sawtooth Cauldron? I found the elevator below it but the button didn't work. Does a quest send me back here or something? What's the deal?
I was only able to activate the quest for that after I beat the final boss.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

No, they literally used aspects of his Star Wars posters.

Oh, I didn't see that before. I was going to say they look kind of similar and it was just a coincidence, but that zig-zag is painfully similar.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

john ashpool posted:

Still angry I can't play split screen on my tv. Also still waiting on my steam petition. The feature was advertised in the official trailer with no asterisk on how PC gamers are excluded. If I reverse the credit charge they can lock my whole steam account.

Perhaps thread title should be changed to :has no split screen co-op?
They can and will lock your account for doing a chargeback. Don't. There is also a thread going on the Steam forums about rigging split-screen by running 2 instances of the game. Look in to that.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was only able to activate the quest for that after I beat the final boss.

Oh, cheers. Good to know I'm not missing anything and can come back later.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

angrynaut posted:

[edit] beaten

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Small FYI, don't do the gun-yielding-tipping for Moxxi in multiplayer as the other players can grab it.

SANKIS!

He gave it back. :3

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Teim posted:

Has anyone done "Out of Body Experience"? This boss kicks my rear end.

I just finished that solo-ing as zero, and I respawned like 10 times before I discovered that the crit point was the a.i. core, which gets mounted on the body of the robot. It's small but I just unloaded a bunch of sniper rounds into it and killed him in seconds.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Oh, I didn't see that before. I was going to say they look kind of similar and it was just a coincidence, but that zig-zag is painfully similar.

Not painfully similar. If you overlay the images it's exactly the same.
The people who are responsible for promotional art and the like are painfully lazy and their jobs aren't even hard.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
This reminds me. I found this (huge) strange looking door thing with a vault symbol on it during Dam Fine Rescue. It was inside a large trench inside the dam about 2 rooms before you reach the outside where the robots first start appearing. I couldn't find any switches to open it, but that symbol usually doesn't appear for nothing. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a door or is it just there to make a metal trench look pretty?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dukeofdummies posted:

This reminds me. I found this (huge) strange looking door thing with a vault symbol on it during Dam Fine Rescue. It was inside a large trench inside the dam about 2 rooms before you reach the outside where the robots first start appearing. I couldn't find any switches to open it, but that symbol usually doesn't appear for nothing. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a door or is it just there to make a metal trench look pretty?

You'll get a sidequest from Tannis that requires you to go in there.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is the big burning spiderant during the cult of the Firehawk quests scripted to always drop an orange? Might explain why this SMG I got from it is 6 levels below me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Metrohunter posted:

Is the big burning spiderant during the cult of the Firehawk quests scripted to always drop an orange? Might explain why this SMG I got from it is 6 levels below me.

It's 6 levels below you because you got the quest line at level 12-15 and the whole thing is level 9.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Actually I got the quest at level 39 and the quest is level 35. :colbert:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Anybody know if the Moxxi tips carry over from single to multiplayer?
Like if I give her 3k in singleplayer will it "remember" that when I join my friend's game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Achtane posted:

Anybody know if the Moxxi tips carry over from single to multiplayer?
Like if I give her 3k in singleplayer will it "remember" that when I join my friend's game?

I think it's per session.

• Locked thread