Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Crasscrab posted:

Do you think the Islamists will gently caress off or will they come back and try to get into some sort of position of power when the next elections roll around?

Islamists already have a certain degree of power after filling the individual non-party seats in the election with candidates who shared their view, so despite the more liberal side dominating the party selection the individual list is dominated by Islamists. These bunch are the more extreme Islamists, so god knows what they plan to do next. They might have just realised they aren't as popular as they imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brown Moses, apparently the FSA and co are using Tor to do a lot of communicating-- some of the youtube videos you find have been posted there before they're uploaded to youtube, according to an article I read in the mirror.

You know anything about this?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Egypt's Supreme Court has upheld the dissolution of Parliament.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Brown Moses, apparently the FSA and co are using Tor to do a lot of communicating-- some of the youtube videos you find have been posted there before they're uploaded to youtube, according to an article I read in the mirror.

You know anything about this?

I heard some stuff about Tor, there's a certain amount of distrust among some activists because of rumours of it having some backdoors that can be exploited.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

John Dough posted:

I thought the Egypt SC was pretty much a puppet for the old military regime? So doesn't that make it seem likely the government will just continue to ignore orders to disband?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/09/201292216919289217.html

quote:

As protests continue in Pakistan, a government minister has offered a $100,000 bounty for the death of the maker of the anti-Islam film produced in the US that has sparked violent protests across the Muslim world.

Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmed Bilour on Saturday also invited members of the Taliban and al-Qaeda to take part in what he called a "noble deed".

"I announce today that this blasphemer who has abused the holy prophet, if somebody will kill him, I will give that person a prize of $100,000," he said.

Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder, reporting from Islamabad, said that Bilour was likely acting on his own and his bounty offer should not be taken as an official government action.

"Let's not forget that this is a minister that has destroyed the Pakistani railways," Hyder said.

Bilour is considered by some in Pakistan to be partially responsible for the deteriorating situation of the country's railways.

The producer of the film, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, is reportedly a 55-year-old Egyptian Copt and convicted fraudster, out on parole, who lives in Los Angeles.

Bilour's announcement came after more than 5,000 protesters, including hundreds of women, marched towards the parliament in Islamabad, chanting: "We love our Holy Prophet" and "Punishment for those who humiliated our Prophet."

Do Pakistani ministers not serve at the prime minister's pleasure? Would dismissing this guy cause massive unrest in his home region? I'm trying to understand why he hasn't been fired, especially since it appears he's not even good at his job.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

More from Libya

Wow. I wonder what the story to this is. It's not a common thing for organized groups with weapons to voluntarily lay down arms. I presume there has been outside pressure, or incentives, or both? Or, they're afraid of retribution due to real or imagined or inferred links to the embassy attack. Or some combination?

John Dough posted:

What the poo poo.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Sock on a Fish posted:

Do Pakistani ministers not serve at the prime minister's pleasure? Would dismissing this guy cause massive unrest in his home region? I'm trying to understand why he hasn't been fired, especially since it appears he's not even good at his job.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is getting encouraged to resign in private right now in order to avoid a public firing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Railroad ministers are always causing problems. YOU GOT ONE loving JOB, MAN! STOP loving IT UP!

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Sock on a Fish posted:

Killing politicians is a pretty common thing in Pakistan, especially if they take any sort of stance for minority rights.

This guy seems like an opportunist who doesn't want to end up on the wrong side of the mob or you know, be assassinated by his own protective detail. He basically did the equivalent of a political checkmate.

If the government tries to remove him it will be unpopular or they might be targeted for "insulting Islam" and he gets brownie points, which increases his political standing, with the radical shitheels that seem to keep everyone there in fear and misery.

I don't actually know what keeps the whole of Pakistan from disintegrating into a giant mass of people all trying to strangle each other.

New Division posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is getting encouraged to resign in private right now in order to avoid a public firing.

He is going to get a promotion.

Kombotron fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 23, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kombotron posted:

I don't actually know what keeps the whole of Pakistan from disintegrating into a giant mass of people all trying to strangle each other.

Other than inertia it honestly feels like there isn't much preventing this a lot of days.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crasscrab posted:

Do you think the Islamists will gently caress off or will they come back and try to get into some sort of position of power when the next elections roll around?

They'll go to Sudan and Mali where there is less public will to drive them out. Then they'll get slowly picked off by drones.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Here you are, quite clearly demonstrating that you think the deliberate and calculated murder of 3000 civilians on a Tuesday morning is comparable in terms of the sort of justification it provides for violent anger to insulting a dead founder of a religion. In a rational world, neither provides real justification for violence on the scale perpetrated around the world by either Islamic terrorists or the US military, because there is no justification for violence on that scale. But one is a hell of a lot more understandable than the other and you do not seem to see the difference.

By this point, they are deliberately ignoring that there are knock on effects of their overwhelming violence. It isn't a surprise that others killed in an air strike or millions have had their lives destroyed and that isn't because it is hard to write on a document, it's because it isn't of concern. I get very well what your point is, and I find that just as sick that death as result can be so easily hand waved. They don't include it in their plans so people like you can justify this cruelty. You'd think this forum especially would have a better understanding of the suffering that collateral damage produces.

edit: oh god my spelling

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 23, 2012

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

I heard some stuff about Tor, there's a certain amount of distrust among some activists because of rumours of it having some backdoors that can be exploited.

You don't need to look for backdoors, Tor has some inherent weaknesses by design.

Wikipedia posted:

Like all current low latency anonymity networks, Tor cannot and does not attempt to protect against monitoring of traffic at the boundaries of the Tor network, i.e., the traffic entering and exiting the network. While Tor does provide protection against traffic analysis, it cannot prevent traffic confirmation (also called end-to-end correlation).[24][25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)#Weaknesses

That paragraph also contains multiple examples of succesful and documented attacks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A great piece regarding the state of Syria (pretty much in totality) here, courtesy of a guest writer at Syria Comment. Posting from my phone so I can't really quote the interesting bits, but it's a moot point because I'd probably just quote the entire thing.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Syriacomment/~3/2uInLDd7bLc/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crasscrab posted:

Railroad ministers are always causing problems. YOU GOT ONE loving JOB, MAN! STOP loving IT UP!

Here is a photo of Pakistan's railway minister.

Turns out it wasn't an empty threat :ohdear:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
christ alive.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFGh7vxk-k:nms:

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is it still stalemate in Aleppo i.e. fsa nominally holds it in the sense that assad troops won't push into the city proper but the fsa doesn't have the strength to do anything but sit and wait?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pretty much, the FSA just pushed back into the Saleheddin in recent days after the Syrian army forced them out, so it's going nowhere at the moment. Just more Syrian soldiers dying while more and more Jihadists turn up from abroad to fight there.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Still waiting for the FSA to be crushed at ANY MOMENT NOW - the Guardian's comment section can't be letting me down right? I got bets running on this thing! :ohdear:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sock on a Fish posted:

It's great how this guy basically is telling the country "I embezzled everything meant for public transport and can afford to give away $100k in a country where giving away $1000 makes you rich"

If there's anything that makes you a good Muslim I'm pretty sure stealing money to live extravagantly is not up there!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's great how this guy basically is telling the country "I embezzled everything meant for public transport and can afford to give away $100k in a country where giving away $1000 makes you rich"

If there's anything that makes you a good Muslim I'm pretty sure stealing money to live extravagantly is not up there!

I think you'll usually find there's a pretty big disconnect between being a good, pious Muslim and getting pissed off/calling for the deaths of others when they commit a perceived slight against Islam.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Still waiting for the FSA to be crushed at ANY MOMENT NOW - the Guardian's comment section can't be letting me down right? I got bets running on this thing! :ohdear:

Don't worry! This just shows the FSA are incapable of defeating the Syrian Army, just try not to think to hard about the implications of it being true the other way round as well!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Crasscrab posted:

I think you'll usually find there's a pretty big disconnect between being a good, pious Muslim and getting pissed off/calling for the deaths of others when they commit a perceived slight against Islam.
More generally, it's not like there's any particular shortage of hypocrites among self-professed muslims.

Here's a pretty way to fly a flag from a tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQL8GfZEwsM

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Banano posted:

christ alive.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFGh7vxk-k:nms:

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is it still stalemate in Aleppo i.e. fsa nominally holds it in the sense that assad troops won't push into the city proper but the fsa doesn't have the strength to do anything but sit and wait?

:stare: Holy loving hell. I don't think I've ever seen so many dead people before. What a loving disaster...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Anyone willing to describe what that contains?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Banano posted:

Aleppo seems to be a dance where the Syrian army slowly pushes rebels out of one district, then as soon as they move on to try and clear another area the rebels start infiltrating back into the recently cleared district.

The battle is pretty much going to go on indefinitely at this point.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The-Mole posted:

It seems to be the immediate aftermath of an artillery attack or an airstrike on a densely populated neighborhood. People are lying in the streets, covered in blood, either dead or dying and everyone is freaking out, carrying bodies, crying, moaning...it's hosed up.

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

The-Mole posted:

I was only able to watch two minutes of it but it seems like the aftermath of an aerial bombing. Bodies all over the place, and some people seem to be walking away from the blast area like bloodied zombies. It looks like a heavily populated urban area, debris/bodies everywhere and the dust from the bombing hasn't settled yet.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brown Moses posted:

Oh, he was mainly fighting with the Misrata boys, his main experience with the Benghazi lot was being grabbed by them when he got into a fight with a photographer who was hanging out with them.

There isn't anything anyone here could have done, right?
Cuz I got a bad feeling the poor guy isn't going to come back from this one.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

VanSandman posted:

Short of pinning him to the floor until the conflict was over, no.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

VanSandman posted:

How is convincing this guy not to do something dumb out responsibility? I mean, I don't think he's going to be directly fighting against Syrian forces. From what I understand he provides medical assistance.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Crasscrab posted:

How is convincing this guy not to do something dumb out responsibility? I mean, I don't think he's going to be directly fighting against Syrian forces. From what I understand he provides medical assistance.

Yeah, that's what he said last time, too. He did that for a bit, then picked up a gun and went full war-tourist.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, if I'm reading this right, it's somewhat of a stalemate till someone gets a beheading strike in on Asad?

... yeah, I do mean that literally.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

So, if I'm reading this right, it's somewhat of a stalemate till someone gets a beheading strike in on Asad?

... yeah, I do mean that literally.

Well, the Lebanese managed to keep a civil war going for like 15 years, so there's precedent.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I was under the impression that Assad is losing support from within at a steady rate?

Then again, there might be enough of a core to keep his army going.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Invalido posted:

More generally, it's not like there's any particular shortage of hypocrites among self-professed muslims.

Here's a pretty way to fly a flag from a tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQL8GfZEwsM

Ahahah. That is actually not a bad idea for IFF purposes. Plus, that was a decent tank what with the reactive armor and all. I wish they would have shown the aftermath.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Crasscrab posted:

It isn't our responsibility, and honestly from what I read pretty much everyone told him when he went to Libya "don't go," but he didn't listen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Crasscrab posted:

He's going there to fight, and provide medical assistance.

I've put together a post of recommended Arab Spring and Hackgate articles from the past week, hoping to make it a weekly thing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
He is not a medical professional, right? That seems all sorts of negligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lote posted:

He is not a medical professional, right? That seems all sorts of negligent.

No, but he appeared to know enough to act as a combat medic in Libya.

• Locked thread