Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, good luck finding any arcades open, anywhere. The special feature in that case would probably just be them going to the Alamo Drafthouse or something, or to a pinball museum.

It's sad that so many of us had to grow up as the last generation that will have even heard of an "arcade".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the least weasel posted:

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'. I found most of the comments far less helpful than what he actually wrote. Why is a review unhelpful simply because it doesn't say what you want it to?
Like I said, I agree in that I feel it isn't necessarily a good thing that the show is taking on American influences and in my opinion it runs the risk of tainting the original feel of it.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's. That is not to say I would not pay money for the show, if it came in a different format, and I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't. In that way his review was helpful to me.

You, and he, both actually have no idea what you're talking about. We have a subtitled episode where they specifically went out to shop the show out for foreign distribution. Acting like this is some terrible Americanization is ridiculous when it was something the developers initiated and promoted themselves.

This is a version being released by Discotek which includes both a dubbed version and the original Japanese version subtitled by the same person whose fansubs you watch. If you're not supporting this because "American influences" taint the "original feel" of it, I hope you don't download the releases from this thread either.

NBHS posted:

So if this US DVD release sells well (and signs seem to be pointing in that direction), who's to say that, should another volume come down the pike, that the Discotek folks don't just stick someone in a jumpsuit, send them around to whatever arcades happen to still be open in the area (As Discotek is a product of the ADV fallout, I want to say their offices are in Austin?), and film their own TamaGe as bonus features?

Pipe dream, I know, but it's my favorite segment, by far. It's all about discovery and fun.

Because a big part of the show is Arino. Just some random guy in a jumpsuit wouldn't be as fun even if you did find an open arcade somewhere.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Someone please post an update soon and stop this dumb argument. :(

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

ImpAtom posted:

Because a big part of the show is Arino. Just some random guy in a jumpsuit wouldn't be as fun even if you did find an open arcade somewhere.

Wouldn't they also run into the same licensing issues with respect to the makers of the games they showcase?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you're not supporting this because "American influences" taint the "original feel" of it, I hope you don't download the releases from this thread either.

GACCX subs are tainted by Canadian influences. Entirely different.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

quote:

They really lucked out getting Arino to front GCCX. There's so many ways the format could have been a disaster. Get someone too prone to anger, too retro-obsessive or just too good/bad at games and it wouldn't have nearly the same draw for me. Yet somehow it all fits together so well. It's got a real lightning in a bottle feel to it, the kind of format it'd be near impossible to replicate with any other team.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bart Fargo posted:

It was my understanding that this contains the 10 or 12 episodes that Kotaku bought, and that this is the only way to get them in a legit manner.

Yeah, but I remember her saying there was maybe going to be a couple of extra episodes on there as well. Don't know if that actually materialized.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, but I remember her saying there was maybe going to be a couple of extra episodes on there as well. Don't know if that actually materialized.

Ah, yes. There was some talk of a bonus challenge, but I didn't think there were to be any additional full episodes that had been previously aired. One new challenge made specifically for the DVD perhaps?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Bart Fargo posted:

Ah, yes. There was some talk of a bonus challenge, but I didn't think there were to be any additional full episodes that had been previously aired. One new challenge made specifically for the DVD perhaps?

No "new" challenges, however there's 2 non-kotaku challenges on there, ninja gaiden 2 and shiren the wanderer.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Uznare posted:

No "new" challenges, however there's 2 non-kotaku challenges on there, ninja gaiden 2 and shiren the wanderer.

Shiren isn't new? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else, though I might have missed it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That flippy coin game has some kind of jackpot thing that made ten prizes spew out. :neckbeard:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

weird vanilla posted:

Wouldn't they also run into the same licensing issues with respect to the makers of the games they showcase?

One would assume that if they produce new content for the specific purpose of including it on a home video release, that they would acquire the necessary permissions beforehand.

The issue with the Japanese releases is that they acquire the rights and licenses for a broadcast TV program, since that is their primary focus. Home video is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Son Ryo posted:

Shiren isn't new? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else, though I might have missed it.

The translation is new, but the episode is from a few seasons ago.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 25, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Nipponophile posted:

The translation is new, but the episode is from a few seasons ago.

Oh, never mind, I missed a few posts. It's pretty ridiculous to expect that there would by any legitimately new content just for an american DVD release.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I still see some confusion over what's on the DVD, so let me clear it up:

Mystery of Atlantis (#01)
Solomon's Key (#06)
Ninja Gaiden (#29) - Director's cut
Mighty Bomb Jack (#39), Mighty Bomb Jack revisited (A part of episode #40), Mighty Bomb Jack Live (#41) - All combined to become one episode. Live episode newly licensed by Discotek
Bonanza Brothers (#33)
S.O.S. (#43) - Director's cut; has extra scenes not in the TV version
Clock Tower (#53)
Super Fantasy Zone (#59)
53 Stations of the Tokaido (#61)
The Wing of Madoola (#68) - Director's cut; has extra scenes not in the TV version
Battle Golfer Yui (#81)
Golden Axe (#87)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, part 1 (#92) - Newly licensed
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, part 2 (#93) - Newly licensed
Ninja Gaiden II, part 1 (#96) - Newly licensed
Ninja Gaiden II, part 2 (#97) - Newly licensed

Full Japanese audio track available for all. Optional English narration available for all except the newly acquired challenges (Mighty Bomb Jack Live, Shiren, Ninja Gaiden II).

All the subtitles were translated by me and timed by Discotek. The Kotaku/A Bigger Boat subs were removed entirely. There are also subtitles for on-screen text and in-game text (very important for Clock Tower).

Regarding stuff previously released by SAGCCX: I cleaned up my translations for Mighty Bomb Jack Live, S.O.S. and 53 Stations. Clock Tower and Ninja Gaiden II were not done by me for SAGCCX, so I re-translated everything.

The "Retro Game Master" name is Stylejam's branding decision and could not be changed, hence the "Game Center CX collection" subtitle for people who prefer the original name. However we were allowed to use "Game Center CX" and "Chief" for the subtitles. (In fact, nowhere in the DVD does Kacho come up except for the English dub. The description on the back simply calls him Arino.)

None of the profit goes to Kotaku. It goes to Fuji TV/Gascoin/Stylejam and Discotek, who will then try to buy more licensed episodes (and no dubs).

So if you choose to watch the "Game Center CX version" in the DVD (Japanese audio with English subtitles), you're seriously getting exactly what's been released on the Japanese DVDs but with subtitles.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Being an Amazon buyer, I'm still awaiting my order, but that is a fantastic line up of episodes. It contains most of my favorites and combining all of the Mighty Bomb Jack attempts in to one is perfect.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Is there any news of anyone releasing the DVD in Europe or is it just going to be a US only thing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, good luck finding any arcades open, anywhere. The special feature in that case would probably just be them going to the Alamo Drafthouse or something, or to a pinball museum.

It's sad that so many of us had to grow up as the last generation that will have even heard of an "arcade".

Last week I found out that the Gameworks here in Vegas closed almost a year ago to make room for more slot machines/craps tables/whatever. Yeah the place was too expensive but drat if I didn't feel an immense sense of loss. :smith:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Pyrovile posted:

Is there any news of anyone releasing the DVD in Europe or is it just going to be a US only thing?

No news. I'm guessing we'll probably have to wait till the dust clears and see how the US one really performs. There's always Adam!

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2012

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm brand new. Yeah, I finally gave in to my inner debate of registering. Anyway is Die Hard not on the DVD? It isn't on the list zari-gani posted.

jadekitten fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 26, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ciaphas posted:

Last week I found out that the Gameworks here in Vegas closed almost a year ago to make room for more slot machines/craps tables/whatever. Yeah the place was too expensive but drat if I didn't feel an immense sense of loss. :smith:

I spent this weekend at an arcade entering my name for every high score as SEX. :buddy:

Apparently the north Chicago burbs and Chicago in general are just a hotbed for this sort of thing? I live 5 minutes from Gameworks, 15 from Dave & Buster's and maybe 35 from Galloping Ghost, maybe another 30 from Nickel City...

Either you guys just live in really lovely areas or you're not looking hard enough - there aren't as many as there used to be but I am hard pressed to be of the opinion that arcades are completely dead. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jadekitten posted:

Hi guys,

I'm brand new. Yeah, I finally gave in to my inner debate of registering. lol Anyway is Die Gard not on the DVD? It isn't on the list zari-gani posted.

No. Die Hard Arcade is the new challenge on the GCCX in USA DVD set that was just released in Japan. The Retro Game Master DVD set is a US release that doesn't match any of the Japanese sets.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

No. Die Hard Arcade is the new challenge on the GCCX in USA DVD set that was just released in Japan. The Retro Game Master DVD set is a US release that doesn't match any of the Japanese sets.

Oh gosh, I guess I just misunderstood. I feel so disappointed right now, that was kinda the whole reason I ordered it *sighs sadly*

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

Nah, there's way better places to go than to the Drafthouse (though the Drafthouse is an unstoppable movie machine.) Pinballz and Arcade UFO are both excellent, especially Pinballz, since it's got stacks of retro machines.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Caitlin posted:

I spent this weekend at an arcade entering my name for every high score as SEX. :buddy:

Apparently the north Chicago burbs and Chicago in general are just a hotbed for this sort of thing? I live 5 minutes from Gameworks, 15 from Dave & Buster's and maybe 35 from Galloping Ghost, maybe another 30 from Nickel City...

Either you guys just live in really lovely areas or you're not looking hard enough - there aren't as many as there used to be but I am hard pressed to be of the opinion that arcades are completely dead. :)

Nickel City still exists somewhere?!

I remember the one time I got to go there, all the sweaty losers smell made me nauseous and I had to leave after a few minutes. :smith:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Bocc Kob posted:

Nickel City still exists somewhere?!

I remember the one time I got to go there, all the sweaty losers smell made me nauseous and I had to leave after a few minutes. :smith:

Most certainly :

http://nickelcitygames.com

And more arcades :

http://gallopingghostarcade.com
http://emporiumchicago.com/
http://www.funtimesquare.com/
http://www.enchanted.com/ - Haunted Trails and Enchanted Castle
http://gobananasfun.com/

There's more if you look and definitely more if you include LAN centers like Ignite. Obviously I can't speak for anywhere that isn't Chicagoland, though. Galloping Ghost and Nickel City are kind of the gold standard here, nerd smell or no. But if you're mad about the smell of sweaty losers now I'm not sure how you suffered it as a child either, honestly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Have there been any "Death of Arcades" roadtrip/documentary movies yet?

Dibs on the kickstarter

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That reminds me, I'm going to Portland this weekend and a long time ago a friend there showed me a nickel arcade. Just looked it up and I think it's still open -- Wunderland? I mostly remember playing the Paper Boy arcade cabinet with the bike handles and failing horribly at it. I'll have to go there again!

The Cheeto
Dec 14, 2011

Please watch these middle-aged men playing video games
If you're going to Portland you have to check out Ground Kontrol. I was there recently for a trip and they have the BEST selection of arcade machines around, and almost everything's a quarter with the exception of pinball at 50 cents.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Caitlin posted:

And more arcades

Heh, I wish Discotek was based out Tampa or something so I could get some recommendations from this discussion. Outside of Orlando, arcades are pretty sad in Florida.

...and the rest of the US, for that matter. They made the right choice heading to California.

Jurai
Jul 26, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

Uh Austin actually has a few legit arcades, as well as a great pinball place

BoltR
Jun 3, 2008

zari-gani posted:

I still see some confusion over what's on the DVD, so let me clear it up:

So if you choose to watch the "Game Center CX version" in the DVD (Japanese audio with English subtitles), you're seriously getting exactly what's been released on the Japanese DVDs but with subtitles.

Oh, nice. I admittedly hadn't done any research at all to check, or really read the thread, but when I saw that they had licensed the Kotaku episodes I assumed the audio was dub only. I had previously tried to watch one of the dubs after watching most of the subtitled episodes and it.. just didn't feel right somehow. Weird feeling.

Was planning on just saving some money and living without seeing every episode, but now it's ordered.

Keep up the good work translating!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The Cheeto posted:

If you're going to Portland you have to check out Ground Kontrol.

Ground Kontrol is awesome. The 4 player Pac-Man battle game is crazy fun.
The Kickerstarter failed, but Pink Gorilla said that they have enough private backing to make this happen soon (in Seattle). The Level-Up Pixel Pub! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pinkgorillagames/pink-gorilla-presents-level-up-pixel-pub-and-gamin

makere
Jan 14, 2012

rdbbb posted:

No news. I'm guessing we'll probably have to wait till the dust clears and see how the US one really performs. There's always Adam!

Would be way too funny if that Adam guy decided to release the DVDs now.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

That reminds me, I'm going to Portland this weekend and a long time ago a friend there showed me a nickel arcade. Just looked it up and I think it's still open -- Wunderland? I mostly remember playing the Paper Boy arcade cabinet with the bike handles and failing horribly at it. I'll have to go there again!

You may be slightly disappointed if you go to any of the Wunderlsnds now (there's 4 or 5 of them in the Portland area and one in Salem). There are almost no classics (certainly no Paperboy), it's pretty much all the usual recent-ish shooting/driving games and ticket redemption crap everywhere. There are a few oddball things here and there like Panic Park though (which was played on GCCX once, look I'm making things on topic again!). Most games are still 20 cents each after the $3 admission.

Seconding Ground Kontrol, everyone should visit that at least once because you'll find plenty of things worth playing there. Especially if you enjoy pinball. Hell, Portland in general may be the best region in the country to play pinball because machines are everywhere. There's over 500 machines in the area! Granted, they're spread out all over and a lot of them are in bars, but there are a few choices locations outside of GK that may be worth checking out if you're itching to play a certain pinball game again.

Although it should also be mentioned that this weekend is the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which is going to have an arcade area of its own along with a lot of other stuff that may or may not be of interest to you. (or maybe you're actually coming to town for that?!)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of arcades that exist, Dorky's in Tacoma Washington is pretty great. Old stuff like Donkey Kong and Popeye, newer stuff like Silent Scope and Marvel Vs Capcom, and some crazy "good luck finding this game elsewhere" stuff like 4 player Pac-man and Sega's Combat. Also tons of Pinball machines including Star Trek and ACDC Pinball. Also they keep everything in great shape, rarely do I put money into a machine and get ripped off by busted buttons. Also most everything there is just a quarter.

Pretty important thing too, they serve beer so you can get your drunk on while playing Moon Patrol.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
The only decent arcade I know of near me is Game Galaxy Arcade in Tennessee and it's like an hour drive from here. It's in kind of a depressing mall but the arcade itself is pretty rad and full of a lot of old and rare games. I've not been in quite a while, I should go sometime.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gutcruncher posted:

Speaking of arcades that exist, Dorky's in Tacoma Washington

Love this place. I took my brothers and my dad there for one of my brothers' birthdays a few weeks ago, my dad is an oldschool arcade rat and he set some highscores on Asteroids and that green-lines tank game (I feel like a rear end for blanking on the name here).

My mom emailed me yesterday and said that he's returned to Dorky's twice since then hahahaha.

The other fun thing is that if you are there when a bunch of younger folks are around you can get a bunch of free pinball games because they don't understand that most of them have a "PUSH TO START PLAYING" button.

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Well after lurking around the Game Center CX threads since the first one (and being a fan of the show since stumbling on the TV-Nihon subs years ago) I might as well contribute to this thread now.

Living in Seattle, I wish we had as robust an arcade scene as our neighbor to the south Portland, but we still have a few decent options. Gameworks's Seattle location is still around, though their 1980's retro selection has dwindled a lot, but they have a nice selection of 90's offerings from Namco and SNK, but I really hate the card system for paying for games.

Seattle's really good for pinball however, with Shorty's bar having a great selection of pinball machines, but as it's a bar in Seattle's Belltown district a lot of douchebags will clog up the place many weekends.

Seattle Pinball Museum nestled in the International District/Chinatown is great, over 50 vintage pinball machines, $10 cover gets unlimited play. They also have the requisite Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man machines in the corner.

Sadly that's all I can think of off the top of my head near downtown. Pink Gorilla/Godzilla's University District location used to have an arcade in the back, but those machines were pulled as they were on loan from a collector who I guess didn't appreciate how the store was handling the machines. Seattle's pretty hip about having vintage arcade machines in most places, so you're sure to stumble into a couple cabinets at an independently owned coffee shop/bubble tea shop/pizza place, most of them located in the University District or International District.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Intel&Sebastian posted:

green-lines tank game (I feel like a rear end for blanking on the name here).

Battlezone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Shock Trooper posted:

Although it should also be mentioned that this weekend is the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which is going to have an arcade area of its own along with a lot of other stuff that may or may not be of interest to you. (or maybe you're actually coming to town for that?!)

Maybe :ssh:

On the SAGCCX release front, there's two episodes and two sorta-episodes in the queue. October's going to be busy for me but I'd like to finish up Season 10, so that's Dragon Power/Dragon Ball, Chelnov/Atomic Runner, First Samurai, and Donkey Kong Country (parts 1 and 2) coming soon.