Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wow thanks. My consultant told me that it wasn't in the cards for this version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
Just a friendly reminder for anybody using SCCM 2007 or SMS 2003 SP3. Microsoft released a security bulletin, and a patch, for a vulnerability in both of the mentioned products.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-062

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.cirrato.com/

Basically I'm looking for some sort of centralized print management software.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I've seen PaperCut recommended a lot in the Ticket and Daily threads, though I'm not sure if it does all of the same things.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Anyone know where we can download an official image of SQL Server 2008 Standard? We seem to have lost our install media but we still have our activation code. I tried downloading the Enterprise trial from Microsoft and activating it with our key but that doesn't work.

Never mind, I found the licensing documentation and added it to our eopen account and was able to download the media.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 13, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

My company wants to start appending company wide image based email signatures on emails. I hate this idea. Can anyone give me a list of reasons to bring up on why this is such a lovely decision so I can attempt to shut this down before it even starts?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

IT Guy posted:

My company wants to start appending company wide image based email signatures on emails. I hate this idea. Can anyone give me a list of reasons to bring up on why this is such a lovely decision so I can attempt to shut this down before it even starts?

You can't copy/paste the text out if you want to *do* anything with it.
It's going to look like poo poo unless the file size is so big that it puts a strain on your servers/bandwidth.

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am
Because when sending emails internally a signature is just a waste of space, especially when reading on a phone.

Because unless it's created in an automated fashion people are unlikely to update the mailto: with their details.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Mully Clown posted:

Because when sending emails internally a signature is just a waste of space, especially when reading on a phone.

Because unless it's created in an automated fashion people are unlikely to update the mailto: with their details.
Just make sure they include the "please consider the enviroment before printing" and poo poo about confidentiality.

I'd probably just stick to "if it's not plain text it should go straight to trash/spam". God i hate html-emails..

I'm currently, by hand, migrating old emails from the old crm to our new, i've filtered out .gif, .jpg and .png just because it's 99.999% certain that it's a logo or stupid stuff like that, it's just a picture showing the company logo and you'll _NEVER_ want to watch it anyway.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Don't be overly dramatic about that storage space. 100 emails per user times 100kB per image times $15k per TB is 15 cents per day and user. And those are extremely generous numbers. Give management that number and they can decide for themselves whether having prettied up emails is worth a couple hundred additional expenses per day. If marketing says that they will get more customers with pretty pictures in the signature and that it will be worth it in the long time, then let them try.

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
I'm slowly getting enough time to finish configuring our SCCM2012. One thing that came to my mind and didn't quickly find an answer in google, and since i'm not at work i cannot check for a setting. How do you configure new update notifications in SCCM2012? It's a setting somewhere in SCCM2012 since you don't configure WSUS when you install it?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
???

You need to push your software updates, not just "approve" them like in WSUS. Notification just pops up in the corner saying you have something to update.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
While not technically "software", has anyone seen or heard of a script that can take a list of Dell service tags and grab a list of installed components such as CPU, Memory, HDD, etc off of the Dell website at the Dell Support Website?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

While not technically "software", has anyone seen or heard of a script that can take a list of Dell service tags and grab a list of installed components such as CPU, Memory, HDD, etc off of the Dell website at the Dell Support Website?

Spiceworks automatically creates a clickable link from the service tag that opens a new browser tab to the Dell site so it must be a fairly simple URL. You'd still have to do some page scraping to pull out the specs though.

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.

Nitr0 posted:

???

You need to push your software updates, not just "approve" them like in WSUS. Notification just pops up in the corner saying you have something to update.

Ach, i wrote my text poorly, i should have mentioned that i mean the email notifications for new updates synchronized from Windows Update. WSUS was able to send email notifications of all new synchronized security patches and i would believe SCCM2012 is also able, i just haven't been able to find the setting yet.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
We're slowly changing to Active Directory from eDirectory. We have GPOs to give different computers different DNS suffixes (so one may be it.domain and another budget.domain). While the policy immediately takes effect on the computer, confirmed with ipconfig /all, it takes a few reboots of the computer for DNS (server 2008) to move the record to the correct location. Is this normal?

Soon we'll get SCCM and Forefront and all that good stuff. The only people that don't like Dameware for remote control are the people that won't be using it. They are trying to convince us that using Windows Remote Assistance will be easier somehow. We already use VNC so if we don't go with Dameware we'll just stick with VNC. It looks like SCCM also provides remote control so maybe we'll just go with that if it works well.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I use SCCM remote control it works fine.

http://imgur.com/a/zwVOL

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Anyone ever use Frontrange? Their stuff looks pretty nice. http://www.frontrange.com/client-management/ We had a demo and were pretty impressed. They have some cool tricks like LANProbe, which, when you install one client in a subnet, it will scan neighbors to do discovery. Seems to quite popular in Europe. Scores middles of the pack in the dreaded Magic Quadrant.

We have to move away from from SCCM because it is too expensive, which I totally don't get. Supposedly we have a Microsoft EA, they even get content from our company, we have 5,000 desktops/laptops and 3,000+ servers/VMs. MS should practically be giving it to us.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Nitr0 posted:

I use SCCM remote control it works fine.

http://imgur.com/a/zwVOL
Thanks for the information. I was reading some threads where people said it was awful but that was on the older versions of SCCM.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Yaos posted:

Thanks for the information. I was reading some threads where people said it was awful but that was on the older versions of SCCM.

It works pretty good. The only bug I've found in it so far is down to multiple monitor configurations. If the primary display is not the uppermost left display then you'll get artifacts on the screen and some remote display corruption. It's usable still, but kinda annoying. It's also a bug in the base RDP protocol, which the SCCM product team have stated is not in their scope to fix.

If you're not running multiple displays on clients though, it's great. Doesn't seem to support clipboard sharing though, which can be annoying.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know about 2012, but in 2007, you couldn't pass a UAC prompt through remote control (or I was too dumb to know how to figure out how to make it work).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone rolled out ADFS? Any good planning resources or personal anecdotes about gotcha's and issues?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever had a machine that loses it's secure channel every 30 days without fail?

I've got this one server that loses it's secure channel to the DC every 30 days and I can't figure out why for the life of me. many other servers on the domain are not experiencing this issue.

The machine is able to authenticate users and make use of SQL services etc on other servers during those 30 days, it syncs time from the PDC without issue but without fail it loses the secure channel at 30 days.
I don't have a clue as to why it's failling to change its machine password. any tips?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

theperminator posted:

Has anyone ever had a machine that loses it's secure channel every 30 days without fail?

I've got this one server that loses it's secure channel to the DC every 30 days and I can't figure out why for the life of me. many other servers on the domain are not experiencing this issue.

The machine is able to authenticate users and make use of SQL services etc on other servers during those 30 days, it syncs time from the PDC without issue but without fail it loses the secure channel at 30 days.
I don't have a clue as to why it's failling to change its machine password. any tips?

Never had this issue but what are the event logs showing?

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Has anyone had a chance to look at Certificate Services in Server 2012 yet?

Our CA is old as balls (2003) and I'm just about to start looking into upgrading/replacing it after the recent MS advisory: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2661254.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Error logs are showing Netlogon errors "The session setup to the windows NT or 2000 domain controller x for the domain y failed because the domain controller did not have an account for <machinename>"

I did however just notice that someone had set the Machine Accounts Primary Group to Domain User rather than Domain Computer which wasn't even in the list of groups for that account. I'm going to guess that's the cause.

I can see the machine account has been set up with access to the SQL server, an application on this machine needs that to access it's database :/

Would I be right in assuming that it should have sufficient access rights to the DB if it's primary group is Domain Computer but with a secondary group of Domain User or something more sensible?

theperminator fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 2, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So how do Office 2010 updates work? I have an install package that I made that includes SP1, which I did by just dumping all the MSPs into the Updates folder. I'd like to keep that up, but I can't really figure out if there's an easy way to do that. In theory I suppose I'd just get a cumulative update to get it up to date, then every month dump that months patch into the folder as well. But the monthly patches seem to be security updates and the cumulative updates seem to be only hotfixes?

I'm so confused.

E: What I'm trying to do is cut down on the insane number of patches my SCCM task sequence installs each time (currently 125) because it automatically times out after a half hour. So the more I can offload those patches into previous installs (aka applying all the patches in the Office install rather than during the Install Software Updates sequence) the better. The overall time will still be the same, but it will be less time spent in Install Software Updates.

And here's the 30 minute timeout I'm talking about :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009754

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 15, 2012

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
How do you guys manage drivers in SCCM? I've had to step up and take over the apps/drivers/OSD stuff at my work recently (I'm teaching myself as I go) and it seems a lot of people think creating driver packages/using WMI queries is the best way to go in an environment with many different models of PC. At the moment we basically rely on Auto Apply Drivers to choose and install the right drivers, and whenever I mention changing things our SCCM consultant tries to talk me out of it, mostly because of the increased overhead involved.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Is there an MMC for Add/Remove Programs so I can remotely connect to PCs and see what's installed, then hopefully uninstall what I don't like?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

alanthecat posted:

Is there an MMC for Add/Remove Programs so I can remotely connect to PCs and see what's installed, then hopefully uninstall what I don't like?

code:
Start > Run > runas /u:domain\user /p "control appwiz.cpl"
edit: err, not an mmc snap-in but will let you access the window on a machine with it locked out via gpo.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

alanthecat posted:

If it is for one off things (non-automated), take a look at this script someone put together one the spiceworks forums. You put in a PC name and it will show everything in the add/remove programs window with options to uninstall or silent uninstall (if available).

I have used it a handful of times over the past year for little things here and there and it has worked fine.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/915-remote-uninstall-software-hta

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That's beautiful.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is anyone using DirectAccess? Now that it's a lot easier to deploy with Server2012 I've been wondering if it could be a replacement for our oldass VPN.

What would it be like for a remote user connecting over 3G?

Edit - that remote uninstall thing is cool. I could have used it last week!

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
We have DA rolled out in my organization using UAG. It mostly works fine, but if your users need to use some websites that allow traffic from a certain ip, then DA can cause some problems.

Personally i'm very satisfied with DA.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is it only supposed to service intranets, fileshares and emails, or is it designed to support our main database applications as well?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Swink posted:

Is it only supposed to service intranets, fileshares and emails, or is it designed to support our main database applications as well?

It's designed to let you do anything you would normally do on the corporate network. We're testing it with a database based application and it works just dandy

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am

Swink posted:

Just like Nebulis01 says. Apart from things like Exchange or Lync would typically still run over the internet using their remote access methods.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

jassa posted:

How do you guys manage drivers in SCCM? I've had to step up and take over the apps/drivers/OSD stuff at my work recently (I'm teaching myself as I go) and it seems a lot of people think creating driver packages/using WMI queries is the best way to go in an environment with many different models of PC. At the moment we basically rely on Auto Apply Drivers to choose and install the right drivers, and whenever I mention changing things our SCCM consultant tries to talk me out of it, mostly because of the increased overhead involved.

I use WMI queries and "Install Package" because it allows me to keep the file structures as they are from the HP packages, which makes updating easier and removing superceded drivers actually possible.

If I receive a HP driver update email for a PC model that I have in use I can just look up what package that replaces and swap them out instead of having to go fish for multiple drivers in a 1000+ list.

Besides, not all drivers play well with "auto apply". Case in point is the Quick Keys driver for the EliteBook 2540p. If you have that in SCCM and use auto apply, the 2530p will try to install that driver and then bluescreen on the next boot.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 6, 2012

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

FISHMANPET posted:

So how do Office 2010 updates work? I have an install package that I made that includes SP1, which I did by just dumping all the MSPs into the Updates folder. I'd like to keep that up, but I can't really figure out if there's an easy way to do that. In theory I suppose I'd just get a cumulative update to get it up to date, then every month dump that months patch into the folder as well. But the monthly patches seem to be security updates and the cumulative updates seem to be only hotfixes?

I'm so confused.

E: What I'm trying to do is cut down on the insane number of patches my SCCM task sequence installs each time (currently 125) because it automatically times out after a half hour. So the more I can offload those patches into previous installs (aka applying all the patches in the Office install rather than during the Install Software Updates sequence) the better. The overall time will still be the same, but it will be less time spent in Install Software Updates.

And here's the 30 minute timeout I'm talking about :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009754

I don't believe you can install both a service pack and then additional updates when running Office setup.

You best way to cut down on the amount of patches is to inject them into your captured WIM file. ConfigMgr 2012 has this functionality within the UI or you can also use command line tools such as DISM.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I got really excited about the feature when I saw it. We're waiting on a new VMware cluster to upgrade to 2012. And while that cuts down a lot of Windows updates, that still doesn't help integrating Office updates into the Office package, unless 2012 has a way to do that as well.