Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
HEY GUYS, THE TITLE OF THIS EPISODE WAS "LAYING PIPE" BY THE WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

JohnSherman posted:

The ending Opie would have wanted would be him dying of old age after a long career in a Harley commune with season 1 Jax.

Okay, I can't argue that in an ideal world.

I meant Opie as he stood now. You could tell he just wanted to die, that he had nothing left. Enjoy the kids Lyla!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I can't believe people on twitter are saying this was good. gently caress you America.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I knew Sutter was going to make us pay for all the criticism he got for not killing Clay at the end of last season.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Zach Handlen, the AV Club guy who blogs about SOA, nails it:

quote:

But that’s less frustrating than the pointlessness of all this, which comes across as just another attempt by the writers to generate excitement with boldness when they’re all out of other ideas. The death of a likable character on a show an be an effective, powerful tool, both to invigorate a flagging narrative, and to get rid of someone who doesn’t serve a useful function anymore. I can see where losing Opie could be an attempt to do both things; this early in the season, it’s good to make some strong choices to set up the stakes, and given that there was no way Opie could conceivably come back to the Sons with Clay still around, maybe the assumption was that there weren’t many stories left to tell with him. But just look at the arc he gets: goes into prison for not ratting out the other Sons, comes back only to have the club president decide he’s a rat and inadvertently shoot his wife, struggles to make a new relationship work but, despite another wedding, can’t make a go of it, loses his father to the same club president, shoots the club president, is betrayed by his best friend, goes into prison to protect that best friend, then decides to give his life for the people who have used him so badly. It’s a bit like watching four seasons and change of a friendly circus bear getting abused by drunken clowns.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

KidDynamite posted:

I can't believe people on twitter are saying this was good. gently caress you America.

Twitter serves no other purpose than to bolster oval office Sutter's ego. I'm not surprised.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The prison plotline of this episode felt like it was copied from an old episode of Star Trek, with the SOA members in prison being the away team and Opie being the redshirt who dies on the planet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SmellsLikeToast posted:

What is the point of killing people just to piss your audience off and make them not want to continue watching?

A lovely writer's poor attempt at raising the stakes. People complain about plot armor and stories that don't mean anything to anyone? Kill a beloved character. Even if its for a stupid reason. Even if it offers nothing resembling a good story. Even if it shits on years of story and the ending he should have got. Even if it kills the last sympathetic element of the show. It will get a reaction so do it anyway because Kurt Sutter is a no talent hack.

gently caress this show.

I'm switching from beer to whiskey just for this. You're off to a better world, Opie. Free of the Sons of Anarchy in all forms.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

JohnSherman posted:

Twitter serves no other purpose than to bolster oval office Sutter's ego. I'm not surprised.

Have you seen the comment section on SOA's facebook section? It's a big mix of people agreeing about the declining quality and/or ragequitting over Opie's death. It's awesome.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
Same stupid poo poo he did to the shield. When you run out of ideas just kill everybody off and throw in random poo poo until you get shut down.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
I guess I'm weird for finding this pretty legitimately harrowing and entertaining TV? The Gemma stuff was pure poo poo -- seriously, beating up yet another random chick? Going to the woman YOU TRIED TO MURDER to pull some obvious bullshit move? So loving stupid. -- what was I talking about? Oh yeah. The prison stuff reminded me of the Shield. First ep this year I haven't wanted to half-ignore while reading the Internet, anyway.

e: ^^^ But the Shield owned (?)

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
I mean obviously, its Sutter trying to "drive it forward" and in his mind this is the best way. I can see why he would think that, assuming he basically turns Jax into a calculating, ruthless sociopath. Which is what I'm guessing we're going to see coming throughout the the season.

The guy comparing Opie to a circus bear being abused is basically spot on.

Edit: Not saying I think this whole thing was driving it forward in the right manner at all, I think its pretty drat dumb. But when you're a hack, you deal with the tropes you've seen in other places.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So, I'm gonna come out and say it:

Only about 17-18 weeks until Justified returns.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

uberkeyzer posted:

e: ^^^ But the Shield owned (?)

For the first couple of seasons. When Vic had reasons for everything he did. Then it just turned into "WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?!" When Sutter runs out of ideas he just resorts to trying to see what he can get away with.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

SmellsLikeToast posted:

Same stupid poo poo he did to the shield. When you run out of ideas just kill everybody off and throw in random poo poo until you get shut down.

The differences are The Shield is awesome and that show was winding down anyways with every season being quality so they wanted to go out with a bang. SoA still has 2-3(?) seasons left according to Lord "gently caress oval office Critics" Sutter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

uberkeyzer posted:

Oh yeah. The prison stuff reminded me of the Shield. First ep this year I haven't wanted to half-ignore while reading the Internet, anyway.

I swear to God, SoA is the only show I can think of that could make intense prison life or death situations seem boring and trite. Oz was set in a loving prison and yet SoA still feels like more of a cliche when it goes there.

This is the sort of thing I was ready to come in and talk about before Kurt Sutter managed to top his stupidity in a single moment and God willing kill his ratings and show.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

The SARS Volta posted:

Zach Handlen, the AV Club guy who blogs about SOA, nails it:

In a just world the show would close out with Opie buring down the MC.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

There is a glimmer of hope to be had here. :)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm pretty sad guys :smith:

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm pretty sad guys :smith:

:smith::respek::smith:

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Seriously, someone spoiled me for it on Twitter while I was eating dinner and ugh. As if the last three days haven't been depressing enough. :smith: Why, Sutter? Why?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

So, how many episodes till we get to see Jax tell that prison guard "you're in my hell now, bitch"?

Sir Hamish
May 31, 2011
Seemed like it was the right time for Opie to go, although its a shame since I loved his character.

Everyone was whining Sutter doesn't kill his characters but when he does everyone whines and 'quits' the show. Grow up.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Yeah, write off the best character on the show. That'll keep me watching.
:smithicide:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sir Hamish posted:

Seemed like it was the right time for Opie to go, although its a shame since I loved his character.

Everyone was whining Sutter doesn't kill his characters but when he does everyone whines and 'quits' the show. Grow up.

Yeah the dude that got constantly poo poo on with no redemption deserves to go. gently caress off. Clay needed to die last year and the CIA poo poo is garbage. Everyone quitting this show is justified.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I genuinely want that prison guard to get got, so mission accomplished I guess.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sir Hamish posted:

I never complained about that. I'm still reeling from half-sac though.

edit: I'm not going to stop watching this show. I still think it's pretty nice TV, and it certainly gets me worked up. That's something that a lot of shows don't do.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 26, 2012

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I genuinely want that prison guard to get got, so mission accomplished I guess.
Eh, he sounded so pathetic calling Jax a bitch.

Kurt Sutter should have his eyes pried open with specula like A Clockwork Orange and should be forced to watch nothing but good television shows over and over. Maybe then he would figure it out?

e: almost 29,000 posts on their FB page and almost all of them I saw were pretty angry :lol:

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2012

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah the dude that got constantly poo poo on with no redemption deserves to go. gently caress off. Clay needed to die last year and the CIA poo poo is garbage. Everyone quitting this show is justified.

I love that you edited all your posts in this thread, by the way.

Clay should've died, not Opie. And it should've been last season. This just feels out of place and like a big middle finger to the "cunts" on Twitter.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sir Hamish posted:

Everyone whines when Kurt Sutter writes himself into a hole and doesn't kill a character who really should be dead. Everyone gets angry when he kills off interesting characters for retarded reasons. This is the latter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sir Hamish posted:

People didn't just want someone to die. People have died on SoA. Half Sack, Hale, whatever Lemmy's name was, Miles, Piney. The complaint people have had is that Clay didn't die when he should have. SoA kills off people in the periphery. People who get offed because of someone else's story because they were expendable and it creates artificial importance for the story. Remember when Stahl died and people thought it basically redeemed a terrible season? Do you understand why people felt that way? Because it was closure on a story and character. It fit and the audience really felt it because they felt the whole story and how they got there. Remember when Clay not dying turned everyone on a season they were trying to hold onto? Because his time had come and his story was told. The whole season and series had built to it and t took THE CIA the get them out of it. It felt right for Opie to kill him and end his reign of terror. Or for Jax to finally end his life after finding out about JT. So when it didn't happen it all felt like such a cop out.

A character death should have meaning and purpose. A major character death should resolve something. Opie died for nothing. For the latest stupid Sons beef with a gang we didn't know existed last season. To get the Sons out of a fix they got into one episode ago. Without a fraction of resolution on his story or redemption for all the poo poo that has been piled on him. It's simply bad writing.

I don't think I'm invested enough in this show anymore to rage quit. I'm not really angry. Being angry over this would be like being angry over a dumb animal for doing the same thing again and again. But I don't see anything to care about anymore. I was hanging on to see Opie get justice. With that dead I don't see what I'm watching for. Because if its all about Jax then it's a problem that when one Son had to die I immediately picked him in my head.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
What a bullshit choice to kill off. Why not Clay? Why isn't it EVER Clay?

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

What a bullshit choice to kill off. Why not Clay? Why isn't it EVER Clay?

Series finale. I'd bet heavily on that.

Anyway, I knew someone was going down tonight when shutter tweeted something along the lines of "no spoilers east coast" earlier today. Meh. I don't love the decision but I think opie was too far gone that to have him come back to the club and be back to normal would have been a hell of a stretch. Whatever. Opie is dead, lets loving deal with it.

Also, I did not recognize Ashley tisdale at all.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

JohnSherman posted:

Hooray! This made reading through the thread worth it tonight. Also, it made me feel better about falling asleep after the first couple minutes of the show.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I have to say, though, Tara and Gemma bickering NEVER gets old.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

A character death should have meaning and purpose. A major character death should resolve something. Opie died for nothing. For the latest stupid Sons beef with a gang we didn't know existed last season. To get the Sons out of a fix they got into one episode ago. Without a fraction of resolution on his story or redemption for all the poo poo that has been piled on him. It's simply bad writing.

This is pretty dead-on for exactly how I was feeling but am not able to articulate in a logical or cohesive manner personally.

:smith:

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!

SmellsLikeToast posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH. The Shield actually did it well. This is just loving bullshit.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
loving Opie! :(

I bet Ryan Hurst is so loving happy to be able to shave though.

Sir Hamish
May 31, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

People didn't just want someone to die. People have died on SoA. Half Sack, Hale, whatever Lemmy's name was, Miles, Piney. The complaint people have had is that Clay didn't die when he should have. SoA kills off people in the periphery. People who get offed because of someone else's story because they were expendable and it creates artificial importance for the story. Remember when Stahl died and people thought it basically redeemed a terrible season? Do you understand why people felt that way? Because it was closure on a story and character. It fit and the audience really felt it because they felt the whole story and how they got there. Remember when Clay not dying turned everyone on a season they were trying to hold onto? Because his time had come and his story was told. The whole season and series had built to it and t took THE CIA the get them out of it. It felt right for Opie to kill him and end his reign of terror. Or for Jax to finally end his life after finding out about JT. So when it didn't happen it all felt like such a cop out.

I don't think I'm invested enough in this show anymore to rage quit. I'm not really angry. Being angry over this would be like being angry over a dumb animal for doing the same thing again and again. But I don't see anything to care about anymore. I was hanging on to see Opie get justice. With that dead I don't see what I'm watching for. Because if its all about Jax then it's a problem that when one Son had to die I immediately picked him in my head.

I agree with a lot of what you said here, although I do still feel it was Opie's time to go. If the way Jax views/act towards the club doesn't fundamentally alter after this then I'd say Sutter's dropped the ball.

I'd like to add that my original post was criticising all the knee jerk 'you killed my favourite character I'm not watching anymore!' posts, and not ones like this, which are interesting and conducive to discussion. You can criticise some of the decisions this show makes and still act like a grown up.

SouthLAnd posted:

I never complained about that. I'm still reeling from half-sac though.

edit: I'm not going to stop watching this show. I still think it's pretty nice TV, and it certainly gets me worked up. That's something that a lot of shows don't do.

Half-sac was a shame but kinda expected, he wasn't really going anywhere. Poor guy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Krabkolash posted:

(My one consolation is that at least that is the end the character Opie probably would have wanted and he was content with it)

No. What Opie wanted was to kill Clay.

Seriously, Does anybody want to buy my SoA DVDs? to get 1 & 2, you gotta buy 3 & 4 too. gently caress this show.

• Locked thread