Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CloseFriend posted:

More Final Fantasy VI Advance questions!
1. Does this game have a better place to grind EXP than the forest near Gau's dad's house? I always had better grinding there than anywhere else.
2. I noticed Cactuar, Leviathan, and Gilgamesh have levels in the 90s when you fight them. Do I need to get all the way up to Level 99 to not get my rear end handed to me with the new content? (I ground like a fiend, so I just got the Falcon and I've already hit the low 40s, but it's made me pretty tired of grinding.)

Is that the dinosaur forest? I honestly can't remember. If not, Bracheosaurs in the Dinosaur Forest are the best place to grind.

Also, no, you should easily be able to take them down at this point. You are remembering to equip the right espers when you grind, yes? Because otherwise you're only grinding for HP and MP. I don't remember the GBA espers being that difficult, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

More Final Fantasy VI Advance questions!
1. Does this game have a better place to grind EXP than the forest near Gau's dad's house? I always had better grinding there than anywhere else.
2. I noticed Cactuar, Leviathan, and Gilgamesh have levels in the 90s when you fight them. Do I need to get all the way up to Level 99 to not get my rear end handed to me with the new content? (I ground like a fiend, so I just got the Falcon and I've already hit the low 40s, but it's made me pretty tired of grinding.)

1. Since magic's more important than anything in the entire game by a wide margin, go grind the desert south of Maranda and kill a lot of Cactuar. They drop 10 Magic Points per kill, and you should have plenty of espers with solid spells you can learn in no time from Cactuar hunting.

2. Don't even worry about EXP, it'll come. I cleared Kefka's Tower with my best characters around level 40 and the Soul Shrine around 65.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2012

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So all of FFXIII-TWO's DLC is on sale, is that stuff worth paying money for? I haven't actually played it yet but I liked the first game's brand of glittery nonsense so much I doubt I'll mind whatever problems people freaked out over.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Started playing the free prologue of FF Dimensions: so far this is pretty neat. It would be great if there was a better way to move around, but most of the control issues are my fault for having a phone instead of a toy slab computer. For all intents and purposes it really is a nice spiritual followup to FF5, and I don't mind the graphics one bit.

But really, to anyone arguing that it may just be worth 30 dollars because they mastered all the classes in 60 hours: How much money do you think Square Enix spent making this? Never mind that, how much money do you think it took to PORT this game from an old Japanese cell phone after making whatever profit from that version?

I'm fairly confident they could have priced it at 9.99 and made like 1000% profit off of this thing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Fungah! posted:

Also, no, you should easily be able to take them down at this point. You are remembering to equip the right espers when you grind, yes? Because otherwise you're only grinding for HP and MP. I don't remember the GBA espers being that difficult, though.

ohnoitschris posted:

1. Since magic's more important than anything in the entire game by a wide margin, go grind the desert south of Maranda and kill a lot of Cactuar. They drop 10 Magic Points per kill, and you should have plenty of espers with solid spells you can learn in no time from Cactuar hunting.
I've put a lot of miles in both in the desert south of Maranda (I've probably spent hundreds of hours of my life there as much as I've played this game!) and the Dinosaur Forest. So far, I have Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, and Setzer, and they all know nearly every spell I have. I know I need to get the other heavy-hitting espers, since out of all the WoR ones I've only gotten Fenrir so far. I've been putting off picking up the other characters so that by grinding the characters I have I can start them off at high levels, but now feels like a good time to break down and go get that done.

Should I care about esper bonuses? I've never paid much attention to them, but for all I know, they could have a huge effect on the game that I've neglected.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The stats Espers boost are pretty significant in terms of power but the game is really easy so you can probably miss them and still handle your poo poo. They're more for when you really want to trash the game by doing poo poo like Locke + Valiant Knife shenanigans or have Celes deal Max damage with Ice 1.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

nene. posted:

Started playing the free prologue of FF Dimensions: so far this is pretty neat. It would be great if there was a better way to move around, but most of the control issues are my fault for having a phone instead of a toy slab computer. For all intents and purposes it really is a nice spiritual followup to FF5, and I don't mind the graphics one bit.

If the controls are giving you trouble, try switching it to the Slide configuration that makes the arrows appear wherever you tap and disappear as soon as you release, and using your index finger.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

kater posted:

So all of FFXIII-TWO's DLC is on sale, is that stuff worth paying money for? I haven't actually played it yet but I liked the first game's brand of glittery nonsense so much I doubt I'll mind whatever problems people freaked out over.

Depends what you want really. Sazh adds a new card game and an easy way to get tokens for Serendipity, but all of them don't seem to add a whole lot of actual story/content. From what I hear the rest add some tough battles and no real depth to the characters that you couldn't get from the main game.

But get the Gilgamesh fight for nothing else but the boss music. So good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

CloseFriend posted:

Should I care about esper bonuses? I've never paid much attention to them, but for all I know, they could have a huge effect on the game that I've neglected.

FFVI is straightforward enough that you can freely ignore them, but keep in mind the following: the difference between you team's best and worst caster is about 20 points of magic. There's almost literally no reason not to let everyone spend 10 levels with Zona Seeker equipped so they can share in the warm squishy joy of complete magical destruction. This also increases the damage of most of Sabin's Blitzes. You don't get nearly as dramatic results from messing with any of the other stats, but I mean if you're already level grinding in the Dinosaur Forest you might as well turn your teammates into threshing machines. But seriously, level your magic! Do it!

...:goonsay:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It doesn't hurt to let some of the slowpokes like Cyan have a few levels with Cactuar to catch up their speed a bit, either, although it doesn't have nearly the impact that magic does.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Hey guys can someone help me in FFVI? I'm about an hour and a half in. Just beat Ultros on the Lethe River, Sabin is drifting down river, and then I had the option to follow Sabin, Edgar/Terra/Bannon, or Locke.

I chose Locke and am back in Lower Figaro and loving around between Merchant clothes and Soldier clothes. Anyway supposedly there is an exit out of the city from the northern mansion, and I just can't loving find it. I tell the kid the password then move up to what I guess is that mansion, but am stuck there. How do I get out of here?

FFVI owns, first video game I've played in a long time, great so far. Also is the choice choosing in the SNES version or is that new to the GBA one I'm playing?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Hey guys can someone help me in FFVI? I'm about an hour and a half in. Just beat Ultros on the Lethe River, Sabin is drifting down river, and then I had the option to follow Sabin, Edgar/Terra/Bannon, or Locke.

I chose Locke and am back in Lower Figaro and loving around between Merchant clothes and Soldier clothes. Anyway supposedly there is an exit out of the city from the northern mansion, and I just can't loving find it. I tell the kid the password then move up to what I guess is that mansion, but am stuck there. How do I get out of here?

FFVI owns, first video game I've played in a long time, great so far. Also is the choice choosing in the SNES version or is that new to the GBA one I'm playing?

SNES had that.

The mansion has a hidden wall in the upper levels, look to a western side in the first room.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
thanks brosef!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

Is that the dinosaur forest? I honestly can't remember. If not, Bracheosaurs in the Dinosaur Forest are the best place to grind.
The absolute best grind I've found--in terms of both quickest and easiest--was Vanishing yourself in the forest north of Jidoor. You'll start one-shotting everything there with Ice 3 at around 40-45, and your normal attacks follow suit at 60-70. Easiest to level was Edgar for Auto Crossbow against the Reacher frogs. The hardest I've found was Gogo because even though he has access to Edgar's tools, not only will he pretty much never get strong enough to one-shot their group with Auto Crossbow but his weapon options and magic stats are crap too.

Compare to Brachiosaurs which, while they and the forest's alternative Tyranosaur encounters (one group of which is a pincer attack against you that not even Black Belt will remove from the encounter pool) won't be able to hit you with their deadly physical attacks, they still have crazy spells to throw at you and eat your Vanish. The Reach Frogs 100% won't use Rippler until turn 3 at the earliest where Brachiosaur has a 50% chance to open with a target-all spell and Tyranosaur can start casting Meteor on turn 2 at something like a 25% rate. While you're pincered by three of them, of course.

CloseFriend posted:

Yeah, you should. Folks will say "hey don't sweat 'em it's cool you don't need 'em to beat the game," but poo poo, it's literally the difference between doing 3000 damage and 9999 damage.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 26, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The absolute best grind I've found--in terms of both quickest and easiest--was Vanishing yourself in the forest north of Jidoor. You'll start one-shotting everything there with Ice 3 at around 40-45, and your normal attacks follow suit at 60-70. Easiest to level was Edgar for Auto Crossbow against the Reacher frogs. The hardest I've found was Gogo because even though he has access to Edgar's tools, not only will he pretty much never get strong enough to one-shot their group with Auto Crossbow but his weapon options and magic stats are crap too.

When ulillillia did his playthrough of FF6, this was where he did all of his endgame grinding. I just wanted to point out that there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Miracon posted:

When ulillillia did his playthrough of FF6, this was where he did all of his endgame grinding. I just wanted to point out that there.
Your point being... my favored grind area is also favored by an insane numbercruncher who probably calculated the most efficient average time:EXP ratio himself? Good to know I'm not spending any more time grinding than I have to :thumbsup:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My experience with FF6 was pretty much as follows- blaze through the game at a minimum level until you get Espers, then develop your characters to how you want to play them. If you want to teach someone spells, but don't want to waste levels/micromanage espers before they level up, then The Veldt, and the Cultist's Tower are great for grinding some AP.

This was with the SNES version, by the way. A friend of mine told me to never level up Odin so I did that as well, don't know how well that applies to the GBA version.

Another Thing- although he might seem useful, GoGo really isn't because he cannot equip Espers. Umaro, on the other hand, is an uncontrollable damage machine and is incredibly fun to use. Relm was also my primary caster for the later part of the game, with the Gem Box she really trivialized the final boss.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Your friend was wrong.

"Leveling up" Odin is a great idea because he then teaches you Quick, the best spell in the game.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly, FF6 is so easy you have to TRY to create challenge. You'd have to actively work hard to make the characters too weak to continue.

It was probably the first FF to start the trend of LL GP NO EQUIP CHANGE SSJ CHALLENGE.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

My experience with FF6 was pretty much as follows- blaze through the game at a minimum level until you get Espers, then develop your characters to how you want to play them. If you want to teach someone spells, but don't want to waste levels/micromanage espers before they level up, then The Veldt, and the Cultist's Tower are great for grinding some AP.

This was with the SNES version, by the way. A friend of mine told me to never level up Odin so I did that as well, don't know how well that applies to the GBA version.

Another Thing- although he might seem useful, GoGo really isn't because he cannot equip Espers. Umaro, on the other hand, is an uncontrollable damage machine and is incredibly fun to use. Relm was also my primary caster for the later part of the game, with the Gem Box she really trivialized the final boss.

1) trivializing the last boss is, appropriately enough, trivially easy. Game's a cakewalk all the way through. The White Dragon's right, though, half the fun is in just getting big-rear end numbers and watching the game get shredded.

2) Cactuar, the GBA esper, gives a +2 speed on level-up so you can level Odin freely. In fact he's twice as good as Odin, especially considering that speed's usefulness caps out somewhere in the 120 range.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

To me it always felt like FF6's difficulty level was appropriately balanced for a party that did not derive stat benefits from espers and was pretty careless about learning spells from them. Everything you do with espers is gravy, pretty much.

Speaking of giant numbers, on the GBA version, I made use of the level reset glitch to max out all of Terra's stats, just because I could. Did you know that damage can overflow?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

To me it always felt like FF6's difficulty level was appropriately balanced for a party that did not derive stat benefits from espers and was pretty careless about learning spells from them. Everything you do with espers is gravy, pretty much.

Speaking of giant numbers, on the GBA version, I made use of the level reset glitch to max out all of Terra's stats, just because I could. Did you know that damage can overflow?

I actually did know that! It only happens when either Terra's morphed and casts a highish damage spell or when a character with 255 magic casts Ultima. Pretty sure that the overflow point is 65535 damage, do any more and it goes to zero. Super cool, I never got to see it myself but I always thought about doing that as a gimmick run

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

Yup, found that out when I tried to cast Ultima with Strago. Grand Train is better, actually, because on the SNES version, if you have maxed Magic with the best Magic-increasing gear equipped to him, Grand Train will (thanks to its ignore defense dealie) indeed do enough damage to loop high enough to get back to >9999!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

In the SNES version, Odin was the only way to increase speed while levelling up. Of course, Raiden was the only way to learn Quick, so what you'd ideally want to do is keep Odin, do any +speed levelling you planned to do, then upgrade to Raiden to be able to learn Quick. So for that version, your friend was half right. ("Never" upgrade Odin, no. "Delay" upgrading Odin, yes.)

In the GBA version this is rendered moot both by a. an alternative source of Quick in the form of Gilgamesh and b. an alternative (and superior) source of speed increases in the form of Cactuar. Given those espers, then, you don't need to care about Odin or Raiden, since both are rendered redundant.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Yup, found that out when I tried to cast Ultima with Strago. Grand Train is better, actually, because on the SNES version, if you have maxed Magic with the best Magic-increasing gear equipped to him, Grand Train will (thanks to its ignore defense dealie) indeed do enough damage to loop high enough to get back to >9999!

Given that the only practical difference between Ultima and Grand Train is the latter's somewhat lower power, I find it hard to believe that it's capable of looping past 65535 to above 10000 again where Ultima can't. What is, however, a lot more likely to happen is that Grand Train being weaker means it's less likely to overflow.

The math, if you're interested: 145 Magic Power is the max for Strago. 128 plus 17 from equips. Magic damage formula is spell power times four plus level times magic times spell power divided by 32. Or, in equation form Damage = SP * 4 + (Level * Magic * SP / 32). This is before Earrings/Hero Ring/Morph/random variance. Defense is ignored because both of these spells do that.

Ultima has a spell power of 150, Grand Train 84. With 150 spell power, At level 99, Ultima comes comes out to 67889, just over the damage cap. Grand Train tops out at a "mere" 38470, nowhere near enough to overflow but definitely enough to cap. I suppose this qualifies as a circumstance outside of availability issues where Grand Train comes out over Ultima, but at that point, you're probably best throwing out Meteor for your "must hit everyone ignoring defense" spellcasting needs (16293 at these stats).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course if you've maxed magic why aren't you just casting the lowest level spells for 9999 damage for giggles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A little late to the party, but one reason why I disliked Gizamaluke's Grotto on the first run is that the Lamiae are pretty imbalanced for that point of time - they have more HP than any enemy so far, they can confuse any character except Freya, they heal themselves, and they counter any attack by casting Might and making their physical attacks more powerful. :argh:

Perhaps the only thing that can really stop them in their track at that point of the game is using The Ogre+Soul Blade to Blind them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

A little late to the party, but one reason why I disliked Gizamaluke's Grotto on the first run is that the Lamiae are pretty imbalanced for that point of time - they have more HP than any enemy so far, they can confuse any character except Freya, they heal themselves, and they counter any attack by casting Might and making their physical attacks more powerful. :argh:

Perhaps the only thing that can really stop them in their track at that point of the game is using The Ogre+Soul Blade to Blind them.

While they are difficult FF9 is the one game that gives you Flee from the very start, if you have a lot of trouble with them you can just skip their fights.

Can't skip Gizamaluke though :v:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
What does the Speed stat affect in FF6? Does it speed up the ATB gauge? What will max Speed do for me?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Ross posted:

What does the Speed stat affect in FF6? Does it speed up the ATB gauge? What will max Speed do for me?

Yes it speeds up ATB. And it makes a pretty big difference especially when stacking auto haste on top of it, I recommend speed gouging Locke or Shadow.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

kater posted:

The Sazh and Lightning scenario things are pretty good minigames.

The Lightning one takes place after the main story, beware of spoilers.

Don't buy DLC clothes, you're better than that.

Take whatever coliseum characters you like the look of, but keep in mind that they're all post-game strength (except maybe Lightning/Amodar). Gilgamesh in particular is for power gamers only.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tempo 119 posted:

The Sazh and Lightning scenario things are pretty good minigames.
The Lightning one takes place after the main story, so beware spoilers.

Don't buy DLC clothes, you're better than that.

Take whatever coliseum characters you like the look of, but if you're not a power gamer keep in mind that they're all post-game strength (except maybe Lightning/Amodar).

I'll give one caveat to that, and that's you should buy Serah's White Mage outfit. It's a thousand times classier and better designed than just about everything they've put out for her. Also, Sazh's DLC is playing minigames over and over, but that's okay because Chronobind is seriously the best minigame I've seen in years.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to buy the DLC on PC or something because my PS3 has no net til next week

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Francois Kofko posted:

Is it possible to buy the DLC on PC or something because my PS3 has no net til next week

Ad hoc your PC and your PS3 and share your PC's internet connection?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

kater posted:

Get the N7 armour if you want to make the story seem even more ridiculous than it already is.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm continually in awe of how good the translation of FFIX is. The was actually a bit I complete forgot about that gave me the giggles when I came across it today. When the party assembles on the Blue Narciss, and Cid is explaining their goal, the way that Quina just mutters "...frog..." to himself absolutely slays me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PSP is fixed so back to TAY Leonora solo. :woop:

And I've hit my first Brick Wall! :suicide:

Dr. Lugae uses Laser at low HP, and kills me in one hit. I'm already level 65 and the enemies don't give enough EXP to not make solo grinding irritating.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

TL posted:

I'm continually in awe of how good the translation of FFIX is. The was actually a bit I complete forgot about that gave me the giggles when I came across it today. When the party assembles on the Blue Narciss, and Cid is explaining their goal, the way that Quina just mutters "...frog..." to himself absolutely slays me.

I think 9 was about when Square started realizing that having a good translation and localization is actually important. Back in the SNES days you could get away with some goofy poo poo, but I think they learned a lesson with 7's ridiculous engrish garbage translation (seriously, it's so lovely, how did they get away with that). I only remember bits and pieces of 8 because I only played through it once, but from what I recall, its biggest offenders were some odd accents and awkward phrasing. Nothing nearly as embarrassing as 7.

Why was 7's translation such a goddamn mess, anyway? Was it done in-house by a Square intern who may or may not have vacationed in an English-speaking country at some point in the distant past? Were they cramming to translate it in a ridiculously short time period? It's just so awful. So, so awful. It's a crime against language.

Fudge Handsome fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 27, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's a tragedy, really.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Ok so FFVI is loving awesome. So many characters thrown at you early on, yet each one is good and cool. Terra's overworld theme is fantastic, but so is Shadow's theme. I thought that was just the normal pub music at first, which was cool, but Shadow is cool as gently caress.

I guess there's a reason that VI is held in such high regard and that it is looked to as the pinnacle... because it owns bones baby. That's why.

This might seem like a vague question, but are there any great mysteries surrounding VI? Like weird things in the game or unexplained things? Mysterious happenings? No spoilers.