Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I don't think it was a lack of confidence. I think it was a case of the Wii not being up to much hardware wise and them not being willing to dedicate enough peoplepower to craft a unique Wii experience.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Activision_games

Pretty much because there was a solid install base for CoD players on the Wii. It just wasn't 360/PS3 sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hell yes, Waluigi is leading the poll hahahaha.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The superior choice is clearly Waa and you know it :colbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"We'll see" is the worst answer. It's like asking your mom if you can get ice cream and she doesn't know how to tell you no.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
I find releasing only Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U, while the other platforms are expected to receive all three games in a single pack, to be incredibly baffling. One would think that the Wii U users benefit the most from having this kind of bundle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And they're charging the same price too. Now the fact that no one buys Mass Effect 3(released a couple weeks later) for the Wii will be used by EA to not release the trilogy on Wii.

I would hope this at least inspires an angry phone call from Reggie to EA's president.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If the rumours are true, EA is pissy for Nintendo not adopting their online system.

gently caress Electronic Arts.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

greatn posted:

And they're charging the same price too. Now the fact that no one buys Mass Effect 3(released a couple weeks later) for the Wii will be used by EA to not release the trilogy on Wii.

I would hope this at least inspires an angry phone call from Reggie to EA's president.

It is pretty indicative of EA's show of support for the Wii U. :effort:

The Operative fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

The ME3 thread was saying that Microsoft has some kind of exclusive control over ME1 these days, I wonder how that ties into things.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Chronojam posted:

The ME3 thread was saying that Microsoft has some kind of exclusive control over ME1 these days, I wonder how that ties into things.

Microsoft was the publisher for ME1, but that probably doesn't have a ton to do with this seeing as how Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3 is going to have ME1 published on PS3 for the first time ever and ME1 is also going to be released on PSN as a stand-alone game (presumably for people who already have ME2 and ME3 for PS3).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
We don't even know when the collection is hitting the PS3, I think this is a case of Mass Effect 3 already being ready now, not some kind of flub by EA against Nintendo.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I don't think it was a lack of confidence. I think it was a case of the Wii not being up to much hardware wise and them not being willing to dedicate enough peoplepower to craft a unique Wii experience.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Activision_games
Wipeout is a Wii U game, though, right?. It only looks like poo poo because it's shovelware, not because of the console.

What I'm saying is, I hope shovelware isn't Activision's main line of Wii U support. They had some success with the Wii versions of the Call of Duty games, but if they don't do well this cycle, Activision may as well decide not to waste money optimizing for the Wii U's extra RAM/slower processor set up.

So I've not really cared to check out the Infinity Ward Call of Duty games since Activision pissed off the founders and they quit, but I've heard Treyarch's efforts have been pretty good, particularly Blops and World at War.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

thefncrow posted:

Microsoft was the publisher for ME1, but that probably doesn't have a ton to do with this seeing as how Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3 is going to have ME1 published on PS3 for the first time ever and ME1 is also going to be released on PSN as a stand-alone game (presumably for people who already have ME2 and ME3 for PS3).

The specific context was "Why can't they release the games together / Why can't they re-create ME1 in the ME3 engine?" for what it's worth.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

We don't even know when the collection is hitting the PS3, I think this is a case of Mass Effect 3 already being ready now, not some kind of flub by EA against Nintendo.

Yeah the trilogy doesn't even have a release date yet, and a lot of Wii owners missed out on ME. Plus, the Wii U version is going to be packed with all the DLC and add-ons. It'll probably be my first purchase since it'll be the only online multiplayer game that isn't CoD or Rayman (which I have nothing against, but have no interest in buying).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hideo Kojima said today his favorite game is Zelda: A Link to the Past. How much do I need to pay Nintendo to hire Kojima's studio to make the next Zelda?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

greatn posted:

Hideo Kojima said today his favorite game is Zelda: A Link to the Past. How much do I need to pay Nintendo to hire Kojima's studio to make the next Zelda?

Are you sure it wasn't Keiji Inafune, Mega Man's creator?

Also, I would hate Hideo Kojima forever if he took one of his proverbial shits all over Zelda. Metal Gear Solid 4 was terrible enough, I don't need an hour long cutscene of the creation of Hyrule from the standpoint of an evil money grubbing corporation Ganon Corp as it brainwashes the masses with NANOTECHNOLOGY.

VVV It's not that I don't get it, it's that I don't care. VVV

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 26, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm not going to get into an argument about MGS but if you think it was about nanomachines you don't get it.

Also yeah I got him backwards with Kojima. I could swear the article said Kojima an hour ago.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I can only imagine how different Kojima's games would have turned out if his favorite game really was Link to the Past.

That said, the Demon's/Dark Souls's director also lists Link to the Past as one of his favorite games. I think Hideki Kamiya listed that and the original Castlevania. It's interesting to see how this same game has led the three of them in such different directions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look how similar Link to the past is to MSX Metal Gear, actually. Same basic gameplay, but combine the weapons and items into one slot.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Rayman will come out a week before the system comes out. Ubisoft had most of their Vita games out before its release.

Well that certainly is an interesting strategy... why would anybody even put that on the shelves before a system release? Online sure... why the hell not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In the Kotaku being useful department, they have a summary and trailer for each of the direct download games coming to Wii U launch window.

http://kotaku.com/5946726/the-wonderful-surprise-hiding-in-the-wii-u-launch-line+up

All under the banner of "indie game supremacy" however, so still a crappy article. Some of these games look cool though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Edoraz posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Keiji Inafune, Mega Man's creator?

Also, I would hate Hideo Kojima forever if he took one of his proverbial shits all over Zelda. Metal Gear Solid 4 was terrible enough, I don't need an hour long cutscene of the creation of Hyrule from the standpoint of an evil money grubbing corporation Ganon Corp as it brainwashes the masses with NANOTECHNOLOGY.

VVV It's not that I don't get it, it's that I don't care. VVV

I'd be all over an alternative Zelda game that took place at a 1970s level of technology. MGS5 is up next, and MGS is like Civilization; the odd numbered ones are the good ones. That means we'll need to wait for MGS6 of course, but afterwards? "Link. There's an Iron Knuckle." "Iron Knuckle!?"

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

This is probably a dumb question; but how does the WiiU's specs compare to the 360's and ps3's? I can understand that 2 gigs is greater than 512 megs in terms of ram; but what about its CPU and graphics card? I've heard that most of the test builds given to developers actually use a different CPU that's underclocked, or something to that affect, right?

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Chronojam posted:

I'd be all over an alternative Zelda game that took place at a 1970s level of technology. MGS5 is up next, and MGS is like Civilization; the odd numbered ones are the good ones. That means we'll need to wait for MGS6 of course, but afterwards? "Link. There's an Iron Knuckle." "Iron Knuckle!?"

Wait, what? Surely you aren't implying that Civ 5 is better than Civ4 (admittedly pretty close with G&K now though)? Spot on with MGS though.

Not sure if a Zelda game in that era would be very good. Like would a sword be useful vs enemies with guns, presumably? Stuff like that is probably fine in a pure action game, but I don't think it would work so well in action-adventure.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

This is probably a dumb question; but how does the WiiU's specs compare to the 360's and ps3's? I can understand that 2 gigs is greater than 512 megs in terms of ram; but what about its CPU and graphics card? I've heard that most of the test builds given to developers actually use a different CPU that's underclocked, or something to that affect, right?

Word is that the CPU is weaker but the GPU is a huge leap.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

raito posted:

Wait, what? Surely you aren't implying that Civ 5 is better than Civ4 (admittedly pretty close with G&K now though)? Spot on with MGS though.

Not sure if a Zelda game in that era would be very good. Like would a sword be useful vs enemies with guns, presumably? Stuff like that is probably fine in a pure action game, but I don't think it would work so well in action-adventure.

Errr, I meant to say that MGS and Civ both have the "skip a generation" thing going on. For MGS the odds are good, for Civ the evens are good although G&K does make Civ V pretty great after all is said and done.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Word is that the CPU is weaker but the GPU is a huge leap.

Maybe. I hear it is difficult to develop for it in the same way as you would a Xenon. However, being designed around out-of-order-execution, it is much more capable when used as intended.

EDIT: For some reason, people on NeoGAF are convinced the GPU is based on the E6760. Take with with a grain of salt, obviously.

Liam Acerbus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 27, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

greatn posted:

It should bring back the Reggie of old. He personally visits the president of EA and powerbombs him through the planet.

And then...........Waluigi.

waa

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Errr, I meant to say that MGS and Civ both have the "skip a generation" thing going on. For MGS the odds are good, for Civ the evens are good although G&K does make Civ V pretty great after all is said and done.

Civ V is Revolution with a fancy name. G&K is the real sequel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They could just release XCOM on Wii U instead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Yeah I'm not going to get into an argument about MGS but if you think it was about nanomachines you don't get it.

Also yeah I got him backwards with Kojima. I could swear the article said Kojima an hour ago.

It doesn't matter how good a story is. A game is a game. The game and the story should be holding hands, be it seamless short real-time cutscenes (like in Half Life) or a story that you need to dig for yourself, and can choose to completely ignore (Demon/Dark souls, metroid prime).

loving hour long cutscenes of "YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING" and anime poo poo does not make a good game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

kater posted:

Civ V is Revolution with a fancy name. G&K is the real sequel.

Oh, does it fix the slowdown issues, poor fundamental design choices, etc?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Liam Acerbus posted:

Maybe. I hear it is difficult to develop for it in the same way as you would a Xenon. However, being designed around out-of-order-execution, it is much more capable when used as intended.

EDIT: For some reason, people on NeoGAF are convinced the GPU is based on the E6760. Take with with a grain of salt, obviously.

Pretty sure the GPU is an AMD 7 series.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Those two Platinum Games exclusives and New Super Mario Bros. U have me considering buying this (in a year or two).

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Maybe it's still too early, but is there any info on what AC3 brings to the table beyond the 360 and PS3 versions (besides the obvious gamepad-related fluff)?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Edoraz posted:

Honestly the cutscenes in modern Zelda games bore me a whole hell of a lot more than even the worst Metal Gear cutscenes. Even if they're not nearly as long they feel even more unnecessary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh, does it fix the slowdown issues, poor fundamental design choices, etc?

Yep. The AI was brushed up, too, in addition to an overhaul of naval play to make cross-oceanic Vikingesque raids possible.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

Maybe it's still too early, but is there any info on what AC3 brings to the table beyond the 360 and PS3 versions (besides the obvious gamepad-related fluff)?

It's pretty convenient to take some HUD elements off the screen, and make inventory management simpler. It's fluff to some people but it's pretty useful to others. It's not like tacked-on motion controls.

As for AC3, when the Wii U comes out it's still a brand-spanking new game, unlike the other games which are ports of titles that have been out for months/over a year. It doesn't need exclusive/free bonus content to give consumers an incentive to buy.

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18/007-legends-goldfinger-trailer

This will apparently be a Wii U game.

Maybe I'm just a bond fanatic but count me the gently caress down for this if it has good multi on top of all the Bond goodness. I loved the Goldeneye remake on the Wii and this looks like that times a hundred. Visuals definitely need tweaking though it looks like a Wii game rendered at 1080.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 27, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Bobnumerotres posted:

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18/007-legends-goldfinger-trailer

This will apparently be a Wii U game.

Maybe I'm just a bond fanatic but count me the gently caress down for this if it has good multi on top of all the Bond goodness. I loved the Goldeneye remake on the Wii and this looks like that times a hundred. Visuals definitely need tweaking though it looks like a Wii game rendered at 1080.

Yeah, I'm stoked for this too, but I'm also a 007 nut. The graphics really aren't stellar, but whatever. From the looks of it, it's running on the same engine as Goldeneye 007: Reloaded, which was just an enhanced port of the original Wii engine, which itself was originally designed for Dead Space: Extraction. So yeah, it's basically running on Wii tech from 2009 with a few HD bells and whistles added.

Based on Goldeneye for Wii, I have hopes it will be solid enough to be a treat for Bond fans. Each of the six missions is based on a film from one of the six Bond actors, ending with Skyfall. I'll honestly play it just to see how well they Craig-ify some of the classics (ooh boy, Die Another Day is gonna be a tough one). Goldeneye had pretty addictive online play, too, so I imagine they'll build on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's worth pointing out that the Skyfall section of the game requires an online pass and won't be accessible to those who buy used, or so I'm told.

• Locked thread