Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's worth pointing out that the Skyfall section of the game requires an online pass and won't be accessible to those who buy used, or so I'm told.

Weird. Activision may be pretty evil, but they've never included online passes in any of their games. I'll rule bullshit on this until I see a confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I did a quick search and found plenty of confirmation that the Skyfall stuff isn't on the disc and will be released as post-launch DLC (to keep from spoiling the movie, ostensibly) but nothing about it being restricted to new copies, so yeah, it may just have been nerd hyperbole.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

Yeah, I'm stoked for this too, but I'm also a 007 nut. The graphics really aren't stellar, but whatever. From the looks of it, it's running on the same engine as Goldeneye 007: Reloaded, which was just an enhanced port of the original Wii engine, which itself was originally designed for Dead Space: Extraction. So yeah, it's basically running on Wii tech from 2009 with a few HD bells and whistles added.

Based on Goldeneye for Wii, I have hopes it will be solid enough to be a treat for Bond fans. Each of the six missions is based on a film from one of the six Bond actors, ending with Skyfall. I'll honestly play it just to see how well they Craig-ify some of the classics (ooh boy, Die Another Day is gonna be a tough one). Goldeneye had pretty addictive online play, too, so I imagine they'll build on that.
I'm a sucker for the old Goldeneye/Timesplitters gameplay style (plus a 007 fan) so if it plays anything like that I'll probably get it. Well I want remote aiming too cause I hate dual sticks in comparison, that's probably the main reason I haven't bothered with FPSs on 360 (along with not really caring for most of the ones that came out to begin with).

Just checked the dates and it's one of those vague "launch window" games :(, guess it'll be something to look forward to after launch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

I'm a sucker for the old Goldeneye/Timesplitters gameplay style (plus a 007 fan) so if it plays anything like that I'll probably get it. Well I want remote aiming too cause I hate dual sticks in comparison, that's probably the main reason I haven't bothered with FPSs on 360 (along with not really caring for most of the ones that came out to begin with).

Just checked the dates and it's one of those vague "launch window" games :(, guess it'll be something to look forward to after launch.

Sadly I wouldn't look forward to it much at all. It might be a really great game but if it releases too close to launch it'll be totally occluded by the release of Blops 2.

I'm also not crazy about paying full-price for a Wii upscale.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 27, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rake Arms posted:

Yeah, I'm stoked for this too, but I'm also a 007 nut. The graphics really aren't stellar, but whatever. From the looks of it, it's running on the same engine as Goldeneye 007: Reloaded, which was just an enhanced port of the original Wii engine, which itself was originally designed for Dead Space: Extraction. So yeah, it's basically running on Wii tech from 2009 with a few HD bells and whistles added.

Based on Goldeneye for Wii, I have hopes it will be solid enough to be a treat for Bond fans. Each of the six missions is based on a film from one of the six Bond actors, ending with Skyfall. I'll honestly play it just to see how well they Craig-ify some of the classics (ooh boy, Die Another Day is gonna be a tough one). Goldeneye had pretty addictive online play, too, so I imagine they'll build on that.

I dunno. Going from the Wii version to the PS3 version was like night and day for me. There were a lot of things that were much more than a simple HD upgrade. Like the Dance floor was actual models instead of sprites, the lighting in the game was much improved, etc. It really felt like they put some effort into improving it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Maybe I'm just a bond fanatic but count me the gently caress down for this if it has good multi on top of all the Bond goodness. I loved the Goldeneye remake on the Wii and this looks like that times a hundred. Visuals definitely need tweaking though it looks like a Wii game rendered at 1080.

I remember reading reviews of the GoldenEye on the Wii... And it seemed like it was a pretty good game. But then almost everyone I know that has talked about the game hated the poo poo out of it and were like: "THEY RUUUUUUINED IT :qq:"

But I'm fairly certain that 100% of their reasoning is the fact that it is the new Bond rather than Pierce Brosnan. Never really heard any reasoning other than: "They ruined it" or "It's not supposed to be the new actor in Goldeneye! :qq:"

That being said, I hope to play all FPS on console with something like the Wii Remote and nunchuck from now on. I hate dual analog so much. I played way too much FPS on PC for years before dual analog became a thing... I'm just too used to a mouse and can never quite feel the same or the same control with 2 sticks as when I have a mouse. Oh well.

I wonder if we'll have several games trying to do FPS using aiming via the tablet... like you have to move it around to aim. I can see it being ok for sniping games but I feel otherwise it would be annoying and I wouldn't want it to be the main aiming mechanic.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It doesn't matter how good a story is. A game is a game. The game and the story should be holding hands, be it seamless short real-time cutscenes (like in Half Life) or a story that you need to dig for yourself, and can choose to completely ignore (Demon/Dark souls, metroid prime).

loving hour long cutscenes of "YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING" and anime poo poo does not make a good game.

Some people like that stuff, though

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The corny poo poo in MGS is generally hilarious and charming. What made MGS4's cutscenes unbearable was the fact that the dialogue scenes could have been reduced in length by over 50% just by shortening the awkward pauses between every line.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

loving hour long cutscenes of "YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING" and anime poo poo does not make a good game.

I want to thank you so much for not typing "does not a good game make", you have no idea.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chronojam posted:

MGS is like Civilization; the odd numbered ones are the good ones.

You are scum.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

boom boom boom posted:

You are scum.

Hey now I clarified, I meant they were similar in that they skipped a generation. MGS is on odds, Civ is on evens. That's why it was a semicolon v:v:v

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Some people like that stuff, though

These people are almost all universally untrustworthy when it comes to critiquing the writing found in a game and should have their opinions ignored, though

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Hey now I clarified, I meant they were similar in that they skipped a generation. MGS is on odds, Civ is on evens. That's why it was a semicolon v:v:v

That still doesn't work. Where does Alpha Centauri fit in then? :colbert:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

These people are almost all universally untrustworthy when it comes to critiquing the writing found in a game and should have their opinions ignored, though

It really sucks though. There's such a good game IN mgs4, I had way too much fun doing no kill/no alert runs and unlocking all the goofy gadgets for NG+ and such.

quote:

That being said, I hope to play all FPS on console with something like the Wii Remote and nunchuck from now on. I hate dual analog so much. I played way too much FPS on PC for years before dual analog became a thing... I'm just too used to a mouse and can never quite feel the same or the same control with 2 sticks as when I have a mouse. Oh well.

Yeah gently caress dual analog aiming. I loved Wii remote aiming in Goldeneye. It'd be so simple to just add kb+mouse support to consoles, but then that would ruin all the money companies make from selling controllers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

Oh really. Do go on and tell us your qualifications to critique writing in video games.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Oh really. Do go on and tell us your qualifications to critique writing in video games.

"being Mass Effect 3".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Sadly I wouldn't look forward to it much at all. It might be a really great game but if it releases too close to launch it'll be totally occluded by the release of Blops 2.

I'm also not crazy about paying full-price for a Wii upscale.
Except it isn't a Wii upscale...not that it appears to be a pretty game, but that has nothing to do with the Wii.

blackguy32 posted:

I dunno. Going from the Wii version to the PS3 version was like night and day for me. There were a lot of things that were much more than a simple HD upgrade. Like the Dance floor was actual models instead of sprites, the lighting in the game was much improved, etc. It really felt like they put some effort into improving it.
From some searching around it sounds like Reloaded either used a new engine (according to Activision) or a modified CoD one (according to widespread random internet speculation), and I guess the Wii game was ported to that and gussied up.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

So surprise there's a Nintendo Direct for both NCL and NOA coming in 2 hours: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/251480427351638016

They're getting dangerously close to announcing these after they actually happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CrushedB posted:

So surprise there's a Nintendo Direct for both NCL and NOA coming in 2 hours: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/251480427351638016

They're getting dangerously close to announcing these after they actually happen.

I predict the return of unique friend codes for every game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CrushedB posted:

Jesus, Nintendo. Cutting it close there?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

I predict the return of unique friend codes for every game.

No. Unique friend code for every gaming session. Only way to be safe.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Now I have something to look forward to when I get home from work. :shepface:

Despite dropping it last loving minute this is exciting. We get to see the online system now!

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

quote:

@RichIGN
NOA/NCL Nintendo Direct is 3DS related. Smaller focus (probably a single game). NOA likely comes tomorrow but TBD. Take "shortly" liberally.

Assuming they even mention the Wii U, I don't expect for there to be very many new details. Maybe they will unveil a couple of third party launch window titles and briefly touch upon the Wii U's UI, at most.

Edit: Given that this Nintendo Direct is 3DS centric, I wonder if they will talk about how Nintendo Network accounts will work on the 3DS.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 28, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They need to just make stuff up to get some nerd rage. I couldn't believe the hilarity that ensued over Bayonetta 2. They have to go all out. A two hour boring conference about how online works, then Hideo Kojima walks out and announces Metal Gear Solid 5, exclusively for Wii U.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

They need to just make stuff up to get some nerd rage. I couldn't believe the hilarity that ensued over Bayonetta 2. They have to go all out. A two hour boring conference about how online works, then Hideo Kojima walks out and announces Metal Gear Solid 5, exclusively for Wii U.

"No one would fund the 6 million I required for the cutscenes. Nintendo was very helpful and attentive in this area, without them MGS5 wouldn't even exist."

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
After MGS4, I'm not sure how many MGS fans are left to piss off.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Almost Smart posted:

MGS fans liked Peace Walker (I personally didn't, but plenty did) and are hyped for Revengeance and Ground Zeroes so uh plenty.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think Konami can afford having MGS5 be on one platform only.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So where would this Nintendo Direct happen?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

So where would this Nintendo Direct happen?

Nintendo.com, like the last one.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Remember when Suda 51 said he wanted to make No More Heroes for Nintendo's next-gen platform? That loving needs to happen. You all know I'm a proponent of motion controls, but No More Heroes is one series where I felt they were utterly pointless (I think NMH2 even had CC support?). Now, I could see them pulling all kinds of entertaining hijinks with two screens.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Almost Smart posted:

He could always make MGS5 really good with a limited amount of cutscenes. That's sure to piss people off.

At this point I just want to see Nintendo keep their strong indie game lineup for direct download building. And for them to get Journey on Wii U somehow so I can play it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So for anyone considering Darksiders 2 Wii U, here's what the bonus content for that version is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So for anyone considering Darksiders 2 Wii U, here's what the bonus content for that version is.

Looks like basically all the DLC as well as the pre-order bonus stuff, glad I waited.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

You don't have to play the original to understand the sequel, correct?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No, it recaps at the begining. And they kinda retcon what happens in the first game a bit. Plot makes no sense in an case, your fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Basically one of the four horsemen, War, is set up for bringing about the end of the world early, so he goes around killing stuff and fighting demons to clear his name and try to restore things, stuff happens that they recap in Darksiders II. In Darksiders II you play as Death out to figure out what happened and hopefully clear his brother's name. That's pretty much all you need.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Easy plots in a mature game?

No wonder people love this game series!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

So basically everything that's out now, plus a couple small bonuses. Is there any kind of transfer bonuses for having a Darksiders 1 save? Because if not, I have no reason not to grab this for Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PonchAxis posted:

I don't think Konami can afford having MGS5 be on one platform only.

Why? 4 is still PS3 exclusive, and the orignal MGS5, Peace Walker was exclusive for the longest time on the PSP.

• Locked thread