Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Epi Lepi posted:

So if you were gonna build a robot that looks like a person you wouldn't make it look like Scarlett Johannson or Ryan Gosling, but instead make it look like Roseanne Barr or Danny Devito?

Actually, EDI played by Danny Devito would be awesome. Though he'd be indistinguishable from a Volus from behind.
Implying that it should it be one far extreme or another is a false dichotomy dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Implying that it should it be one far extreme or another is a false dichotomy dude.

I think my point stands whether we talk about making a Joe Everyman bot or Danny Devito's trollishness. If you're gonna make something, make it to the best of your ability.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's an incredibly stupid point, considering that EVA was designed to infiltrate a research facility by posing as a doctor, and you don't need to be Busty Maxxx to do that.

you're aware that someone designed EVA/EDI, and her character didn't like, appear out of the aether, right

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm fairly sure that when they designed EDI's body, they weren't wondering what the Illusive Man would realistically want built, let alone what would go unnoticed in a research lab. They were pandering to creepy BSN types, as usual. They decided to write about a sexy robot body, wondered what's sexy, and decided 'I KNOW, GIVE IT A ROBOT CAMELTOE!'

(See also Miranda, Isabella, and every woman in origins)

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think it's an incredibly stupid point, considering that EVA was designed to infiltrate a research facility by posing as a doctor, and you don't need to be Busty Maxxx to do that.

Are we going to pretend that beautiful people don't have an easier time with social engineering? If the bot is meant to infiltrate a male dominated environment, it absolutely makes sense to have a comically attractive infiltrator.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: And to keep it on topic, I don't know anybody who bought Leviathan DLC or cares about the upcoming bundled trilogy. Good on Bioware for getting the first game to the PS1, though.
I did. It was ok, not great, not terrible. I'm not excited for the trilogy because I already own all 3 (scattered across platforms so I can't take a Shep from 1-3); I'm glad I'll be able to get 1 on PS3 but I'm not peeing my pants or anything.

What I'm really excited for is N7 day! Let's all drink a liquefied Turian!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Being (smart) Busty Maxxx probably helps with gaining quick acceptance among all those sexually frustrated science nerds, though.

EDIT: curses !!

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Russad posted:

Are we going to pretend that beautiful people don't have an easier time with social engineering? If the bot is meant to infiltrate a male dominated environment, it absolutely makes sense to have a comically attractive infiltrator.
You just refuted your own point by referring to her body as "comical."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I just wish that they'd never made the fembot in the first place. It was a stupid idea that tossed out EDI's development as a unique entity for a bog standard Pinocchio storyline. Much like what happened to the Geth. That's not even touching how creepy they made Joker when he started leering at her immediately after it got up again.

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that she wasn't another addition to Shepard's harem.

On a different note, this:

Edit: dead link removed

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 28, 2012

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sombrerotron posted:

Being (smart) Busty Maxxx probably helps with gaining quick acceptance among all those sexually frustrated science nerds, though.

EDIT: curses !!

And hey science nerds don't know what boobs feel like so titanium tits surely didn't seem too weird

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Link is broken.

And they weren't titanium, they were a polymer elastase :rolleyes: Geez if you can't talk about EDI's tits right don't talk about them at all. I'm actually surprised that EDI wasn't a romance. Better than Joker she should have hooked up with Legion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hwordhan posted:

No, you need at least two survivors.
Legion always dies in 3, so the ideal 2nd survivor for failshep.

Edit: spoiler

I know, but he still plays a pretty big part and I want to see how it changes when he's not there. Does anyone know whose missions change the least without them? It looks like Zaeed would be a good choice.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/fan-negativity-behind-bioware-founders-departure

My bad, here's a new link.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Really Pants posted:

I know, but he still plays a pretty big part and I want to see how it changes when he's not there. Does anyone know whose missions change the least without them? It looks like Zaeed would be a good choice.

Ah OK. Jacob, Kasumi or Zaeed
difference if dead:
Jacob would be replaced by some Dr.
Kasumi doesn't appear at all
Zaeed replaced by Krogan

if not loyal
Jacob you lose "the Prize" as war asset
Kasumi disappears
Zaeed gets killed

If you wanna play failshep and not finish Grissom Acedemy you could also use Jack.

:spergin:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

hwordhan posted:

If you wanna play failshep and not finish Grissom Acedemy you could also use Jack.

:spergin:

That's what I was thinking earlier; If the only two survivors from ME2 are Morinth and Jack, you also get bonus points for being able to fight both in ME3 when they've been turned into enemies :shepface:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can always keep Wrex alive so you can shoot both him and Mordin and doom the Krogan.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You just refuted your own point by referring to her body as "comical."

Well, I'm not going to bother with a conversation about hyper sexualized and unrealistically attractive figures in media. It sells, so it isn't going to go away.

But to act like it would have made more sense to have the infiltration bot be a plain human than a "hot chick" is just silly.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Ray and Greg did not leave over negative fan reaction.
It's good policy to ignore most of what Trent says unless you see it verified by an independent source.

Juc66 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 29, 2012

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

And hey science nerds don't know what boobs feel like so titanium tits surely didn't seem too weird
There's a thread title in there somewhere.

Russad posted:

Well, I'm not going to bother with a conversation about hyper sexualized and unrealistically attractive figures in media. It sells, so it isn't going to go away.

But to act like it would have made more sense to have the infiltration bot be a plain human than a "hot chick" is just silly.
It's ok to admit you like robot anime camel toe bro. This is a safe environment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh my goodness I just did Citadel: Volus Ambassador (after it broke twice) and it is just the dumbest thing ever. Shepard literally walks past C-Sec headquarters and a dozen armed officers to go deal with this hostage problem alone and unarmed, then just gives up when the Volus ambassador decides to be even more of an rear end in a top hat and put some colony at risk. There's not even an option to argue with him much less punch him in the dick like I wanted to. Add to that Shepard killing two mercs off-screen and it's amazingly clear how little effort went into that quest. Again, broke twice before I finished it.

There was nothing to even identify him as the hilariously dolorous Din Korlack from the first game other than his name. Mass Effect 3 why do you hate capitalizing on the previous games' characterization? :( I actually prefer spacist hardass Ashley from the first game to the lugubrious yawnfest she is now.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh my goodness I just did Citadel: Volus Ambassador (after it broke twice) and it is just the dumbest thing ever. Shepard literally walks past C-Sec headquarters and a dozen armed officers to go deal with this hostage problem alone and unarmed, then just gives up when the Volus ambassador decides to be even more of an rear end in a top hat and put some colony at risk. There's not even an option to argue with him much less punch him in the dick like I wanted to. Add to that Shepard killing two mercs off-screen and it's amazingly clear how little effort went into that quest. Again, broke twice before I finished it.

There was nothing to even identify him as the hilariously dolorous Din Korlack from the first game other than his name. Mass Effect 3 why do you hate capitalizing on the previous games' characterization? :( I actually prefer spacist hardass Ashley from the first game to the lugubrious yawnfest she is now.

That mission is where Zaeed's cameo takes place and it's the worst one out of all of the returning characters and barely makes sense. He's the one who kills the mercs off-screen instead of Shepard and he opens up the ability to argue with the volus and get both rewards. Then he just heads to the docks for the rest of the game and only has a few lines of dialog about the Blue Suns leader. He has a bunch more recorded dialog about why he was with those mercs and about Cerberus but he never seemed to say any of it in the actual game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that all this running around dealing with Cerberus, which is like 70% of what I'm doing, would have been a great Mass Effect 2.

My problem with ME2 isn't so much that it is bad as that it isn't where it should be in the story. If ME2 had been Mass Effect: Subtitle I would have virtually zero problems with it. Then all this intrigue and backstabbery could have gone in ME2 and I could spend ME3 fighting Reapers instead of Cerberus. These story elements all work individually I just feel like they need rearranging to work together. Maybe Bioware really needed a story editor.

Oh and I'm posting here instead of playing ME3 because the Cerberus Scientists quest broke for the second time. This is making me miss the polish that went into ME2; I don't recall any quests hanging in that game.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Then he just heads to the docks for the rest of the game and only has a few lines of dialog about the Blue Suns leader. He has a bunch more recorded dialog about why he was with those mercs and about Cerberus but he never seemed to say any of it in the actual game.
Yeah, it was so weird how he never gets around to telling the meat of that story. Is there more in the game files?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Guys, quick question. After I finished ME3 the first time, I was so disappointed I never came back for the SP DLC/alternative ending. I should still have my savegames, since I synced them in Origin.

Do I need to start a new game to get the alternative ending? Is it possible for someone to tell me how it works without spoiling anything?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

richardfun posted:

Guys, quick question. After I finished ME3 the first time, I was so disappointed I never came back for the SP DLC/alternative ending. I should still have my savegames, since I synced them in Origin.

Do I need to start a new game to get the alternative ending? Is it possible for someone to tell me how it works without spoiling anything?

All you need is a game save that is right before the Priority: Cerberus Headquarters mission. The extended cut DLC is all after that point, and if you want to do Leviathan, you can finish that before launching the endgame.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

All you need is a game save that is right before the Priority: Cerberus Headquarters mission. The extended cut DLC is all after that point, and if you want to do Leviathan, you can finish that before launching the endgame.

Cheers.

So, getting the alternative ending is not contingent on playing the Leviathan DLC? And Leviathan will simply show up as a new quest in your log/on the map?

Also, I assume since the DLC is free, Origin has updated my copy of ME3 automatically? Or do I need to download and install it manually?

Edit: Nm, I'm an idiot. I thought Leviathan was free. Is it worth it?

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

richardfun posted:

Cheers.

So, getting the alternative ending is not contingent on playing the Leviathan DLC? And Leviathan will simply show up as a new quest in your log/on the map?

Also, I assume since the DLC is free, Origin has updated my copy of ME3 automatically? Or do I need to download and install it manually?

Leviathan is solid DLC. Not Shadowbroker, more like Overlord, but worth the money.
You have to install the Extended Cut as well, it doesn't update automatically.
If you load the savegame, Traynor will tell you that you've got unread messages.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

hwordhan posted:

Leviathan is solid DLC. Not Shadowbroker, more like Overlord, but worth the money.
You have to install the Extended Cut as well, it doesn't update automatically.
If you load the savegame, Traynor will tell you that you've got unread messages.

Ah, so Origin still sucks. I can get the extended cut from the Bioware website, like other DLC's?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

richardfun posted:

No and yes, respectively.

quote:

The EC is free (though Origin won't download it automatically), Leviathan is, as you've discovered, a for-sale product. Whether it's worth it or not depends mostly on whether you want to play more ME3 or not, I think. There seems to be a fairly general consensus that it's about as good as Overlord overall, although I'd say that it does many individual things better. It's got high production values, with new lines - even aboard the Normandy - for all squaddies, several very different and quite good-looking locales, pretty varied gameplay, satisfying combat sections, and a solid sci-fi horror atmos. Not an essential purchase like LotSB, but well worth playing in my opinion.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

richardfun posted:

Ah, so Origin still sucks. I can get the extended cut from the Bioware website, like other DLC's?

Nah, you just need to right-click on your ME3 icon in Origin -> Shop For Add-ons and "purchase" the EC DLC for $0, then install it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Again, thanks guys.

Guess I'm going to buy Leviathan. Wish they would let us pay with actual currency instead of going through the hassle with funbucks...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Leviathan is pretty cool. The only problem with it was that I accidentally unplugged my laptop right at the end of the quest and I was bitching at the game for the lovely framerate until I quit out to try to fix it and realized I was on battery. I blame EDI.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leviathan is good stuff but there's one thing you really ought to know: at one point early on, you have to fight(no story spoilers here but maybe people might not like going into fights knowing what they're up against, I don't fuckin' know) two Banshees in very tight quarters where they can easily melee-instakill everyone in short order. Look for the Reaper Blackstar. Don't desperately spam Warp, Overload, Charge and Nova and die like a dumbass twelve times and then trip over the Blackstar after it's all over. You know, the way I did.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 30, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

One last question. I really don't feel like playing MP for a few days to get my readiness rating up. Will I be able to get the alternative ending with readiness only at 50%?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

richardfun posted:

One last question. I really don't feel like playing MP for a few days to get my readiness rating up. Will I be able to get the alternative ending with readiness only at 50%?

To get absolutely all the options and the "best" consequences for the endings you will require an EMS of 3,100 points, so if you can achieve that (6,200 points) with only in-game assets (which should be possible, I think) then you'll be fine.

That said, the one alternative ending the EC provides should be available regardless of EMS points I think.

EMS should only affect stuff like Shepard surviving when picking Destroy, or Synthesis being available, and of course the aftermath slides / scenes after picking an option.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lycus posted:

Yeah, it was so weird how he never gets around to telling the meat of that story. Is there more in the game files?

Yep, he has a decent amount of lines in his folder that seem to have gone unused, or maybe he's bugged to never talk like the engineers were. He also talks about Vido's fate if you let him escape in ME2 (I don't know if he actually says that in the game because I never let Vido escape).

Arglebargle III posted:

Leviathan is pretty cool. The only problem with it was that I accidentally unplugged my laptop right at the end of the quest and I was bitching at the game for the lovely framerate until I quit out to try to fix it and realized I was on battery. I blame EDI.

If you had framerate problems right during the ending cutscene I think it was an issue with the game and not with your laptop since I got that too and I play on a desktop. The FPS dropped so severely that it failed to play the entire cutscene before it moved on to the part on the shuttle with my first character. Second attempt worked fine so I don't know what went wrong.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

richardfun posted:

Yes, you can get the required maximum EMS fairly easily. And getting readiness up isn't really that time consuming. I got mine to 100% in a day.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Well, that was a fairly awesome piece of DLC, especially the extra storyline stuff at the end.

Did a quick google search, but there's no new info on upcoming SP DLC, right?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
From a recent Bioware blog post:

Bioware blog posted:

We are releasing more multiplayer content and we have more single-player stories coming throughout the next six months, including Omega which is coming in the Fall.

I think that's the most recent info on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is it just me, or did Sentinels get the serious shaft this time around?

• Locked thread