Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

So here's the first in a series of videos covering the material that Discotek can't use.
You are doing god's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ZackHoagie posted:

Arcade hardware revisions are a motherfucker, ain't they?

Actually that list doesn't include all the hardware revisions, just the major ones. There are something like 10+ different tiny revisions of Alpha 3 that fix all sorts of random bugs.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
If you liked wathing Arino playing Son Son coop, he also plays it coop with Hamaguchi before playing Kirby Super Stars. The raw is up on my Youtube channel.
I think coop starts around the 50 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KTJxw-Kco

I would love to see Arino play 1942! 2 of his Achille's Heels. He stinks at both Capcom and shooting games. It would be fun to watch him play this Capcom shooter.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 2, 2012

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I love the interview segments because I always learn something new. I never would've known that the man behind Son Son and 1942 was also the one behind loving Genji.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Checked the last couple pages to make sure nobody posted this, apologies if I missed it.

After ten thousand years, this Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode is free, though it's not likely to conquer anything.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Two eps, and the DVD hits soon. Could we be getting too much Arino?

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 1.1
Street Fighter Alpha 2: Street Fighter 1.2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold: Street fighter 1.25
Street Fighter alpha 3: Street Fighter 1.3
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper: Street Fighter 1.35
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper: Street Fighter 1.35.25
Hyper Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 1.45.22.5

Here I thought it would go like:
Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 0.1
Street Fighter Alpha 2: Street Fighter 0.2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold: Street fighter 0.25
etc. Street Fighter Alpha is known as Street Fighter Zero in Japan. The U.S. Alpha 2 Gold being called Zero 2 Alpha in Japan, heh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You guys got a mention in Tiny Cartridge:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/32676131793/on-retro-game-master-and-getting-mad-for-the-right

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was the article rdbbb wrote and posted earlier.

Edit: Thank you guys for posting the content cut from the DVD versions and the Ghosts and Goblins episode! :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 2, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Obeast posted:

That was the article rdbbb wrote and posted earlier.

Edit: Thank you guys for posting the content cut from the DVD versions and the Ghosts and Goblins episode! :)

Oh, didn't realize he was a goon, my mistake.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I got the folders (and cooling pads) today. Thank you, Chococat! My buddy freaked out when I gave him his folder. :3:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Finally, the 3do episode. Yayy!

Feels weird watching a GCCX episode with a different font.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm pretty sure some of the Clover guys were actually goons so if you're reading this thanks for all the great work.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I'm sad to see Clover go, but thanks for the farewell episode! I was going to beat FFIX tonight, but I'll put it off for this (and this alone). Thanks for fighting the good fight while you did! :patriot:

(And thanks for the cut DVD content, don't want to leave anyone out)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Love how Arino pretty much summed up one of the two major problems (other being the $700 launch price) with the 3do at the end.

"I wanted to play video games. I think if I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie."

Still loved my 3do though.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Obeast posted:

Once again, another great episode thanks to SAGCCX. It was another one that I've already seen, but it's nice to have it translated. :)

Also, I asked this a while back (maybe it was in the previous thread) and didn't get an answer, but what is the piano song that plays in the beginning of the segment where Arino and that woman do dramatic readings of scenes from games? I really want to think it's from one of the Final Fantasy games, but I can't put my finger on it.

That screencap is somewhat horrifying. :stare:

He also thought that Simon was the Belmont in Castlevania 3 in one of the segments that showed a few games that came out in a certain year (I have no idea what those segments are called :().

VVV I never noticed that until now... Thanks RS! :doh:

It's Clair De Lune you uncultured swine. But no, for seriously, here's the link. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXl4y6D-QI

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Shock Trooper posted:

Nice to meet you at the PRGE today, zari-gani! I want a Wagyan shirt so bad :(

Nice meeting you too! You'll be happy to know I did not shell out eight bucks for Super Monkey Adventures.

These are the GCCX challenge games I did pick up at the show:

Happy to see another Clover GCCX release 'cause they do fantastic work, and I can't wait to see how people like the DVD -- I don't have a copy of it yet myself. Thanks for the article about it, Ray. I hope it clears up some of the misinformation buzzing around. I'm fine with people not wanting to buy it as long as their decision is based on true facts.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

How is Super Gussun Oyoyo? From the little bit I saw in one of the Tamages it looks like its a lot of fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

If anything, my underpants were in a bunch because Kotaku somehow couldn't afford the rights to stream to Europe. Because somehow a show that can be picked up by Gawker of all places will have a ludicrous additional cost for Europe. Yep.

Really, in this day and age, it shouldn't be right that I can watch DVDs from other countries easier than I can watch something on, what is largely in any case, a global platform.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Meme Emulator posted:

How is Super Gussun Oyoyo? From the little bit I saw in one of the Tamages it looks like its a lot of fun.

I've only played it a teensy bit, but it's fun and I like the premise. It's like Tetris crossed with Lemmings.

Enjoy a Berry posted:

I ran into arino at awa

does he post here? I feel like his picture got posted last year too :yoshi:

Next time anyone sees this guy, let him know I showed his cosplay to Producer Kan and he thought it was great.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Meme Emulator posted:

Here's some info on the series. One of the games used to be on the Japan PSN but got removed in wave 1 of The Great Irem Hates Video Games & Loves Pachinko Purge of 2010-2012.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That reminds me... I heard that Umihara Kawase Shun went up on the JP PSN the other day.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

zari-gani posted:

Nice meeting you too! You'll be happy to know I did not shell out eight bucks for Super Monkey Adventures.

Happy to see another Clover GCCX release 'cause they do fantastic work, and I can't wait to see how people like the DVD -- I don't have a copy of it yet myself. Thanks for the article about it, Ray. I hope it clears up some of the misinformation buzzing around. I'm fine with people not wanting to buy it as long as their decision is based on true facts.

Woah, Arino plays Smart Ball at some point?! I played the hell out of that as a kid. It's kind of surreal looking at all of the games that he's played over the years and being able to pick out bits and pieces of my childhood.

Thanks for all of the great work, once again. I fell behind for a little while, and I'm caught up to Battletoads at this point. Once I get some money, I'm ordering the DVD and having a viewing party with some friends.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Special thanks to Clover for finally translating that "Aces of Hardware" song. Call me weird, but that one pops into my head for odd reasons

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Nickoten posted:

I believe he is in fact missing the GBA and PSP versions which added new characters. But hey, thanks to the modern technology that is the decimal system, that's not even an issue! :unsmith:

Nope. He got those.

SF Alpha/Zero 1-3 were the core Arcade versions. Zero 2 Alpha was an arcade revision that was re-released in the PS1/Sega Saturn's Street Fighter Collection and the PS2's Alpha Anthology.

Zero 3 Upper was originally an Arcade Revision, much like Alpha 2 Gold. Then there was the GBA release of Alpha 3 Upper (which I wouldn't really call a port, more a conversion). After that, there was Zero 3 Double Upper which was not an arcade revision, but the PSP version which was release internationally as Alpha 3 MAX.

quote:

DVD Supplementary Release and Ghouls and Ghosts

Awesome.

I do feel a little ashamed though, not having ordered the DVD set yet. Curse my constant lack of money! :argh:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Word up. Thanks!

ConanThe3rd posted:

If anything, my underpants were in a bunch because Kotaku somehow couldn't afford the rights to stream to Europe. Because somehow a show that can be picked up by Gawker of all places will have a ludicrous additional cost for Europe. Yep.

Really, in this day and age, it shouldn't be right that I can watch DVDs from other countries easier than I can watch something on, what is largely in any case, a global platform.

You're right, but again, it's not unique to this. It's pretty much all these media companies can think up.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yay! I'm glad the US parcels seem to be popping up! The cooling pads are super great if you have a headache/migranes.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
This Ghouls N' Ghosts episode is one of the best yet. The close-calls he deals with when beating the stage 4 boss -- then fighting four Red Arimers at once -- then using a Doraemon sticker and a fan letter as motivation to marathon through the game a second time -- truly puts Arino in a class of his own as both an entertainer and a game-player. It's no wonder this show has lasted fifteen seasons.

Also, I'm glad the Jurassic Park portion of the 3DO segment started the way it did. :haw:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

OrochiKiyo posted:

Here I thought it would go like:
Street Fighter Alpha: Street Fighter 0.1
Street Fighter Alpha 2: Street Fighter 0.2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold: Street fighter 0.25
etc. Street Fighter Alpha is known as Street Fighter Zero in Japan. The U.S. Alpha 2 Gold being called Zero 2 Alpha in Japan, heh.

I always found the titles Alpha and Zero to be pretty weird and misleading, since it takes place after Street Fighter and before Street Fighter 2.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
This may be a stupid question, but where can I find the latest Clover episode?

Edit: VVV :doh: Don't know how I missed that, thank you.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 2, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Mayor McCheese posted:

This may be a stupid question, but where can I find the latest Clover episode?

Not too far above you!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Checked the last couple pages to make sure nobody posted this, apologies if I missed it.

After ten thousand years, this Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode is free, though it's not likely to conquer anything.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I have been waiting for a Makaimura game to be subbed. Thanks Clover! I hope Super GNG gets subbed soon so that the trilogy is subbed for good. This trilogy of games are in my top teir of favorite episodes. Arino vs Red Areemer is a fun thing to watch.

NostalgiaGoggles
Jul 25, 2007
three-time winner of the Upper Class Twit of the Year competition
Amazon shipped my copy of the DVD! :toot:

I'm so excited to see Mighty Bomb Jack and see all the hard work put into it.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I always found the titles Alpha and Zero to be pretty weird and misleading, since it takes place after Street Fighter and before Street Fighter 2.

Yeah, I thought that was kinda dumb. I guess "Zero" just denotes generic "prequel" status over there (Samurai Spirits Zero, Fate/Zero, etc)... unless Zero happens to be the character's name, as in Megaman Zero.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Two eps, and the DVD hits soon. Could we be getting too much Arino?

I don't understand the question :confused:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Random Stranger posted:

Twenty years ago someone at Sega said, "We are now in the 90's! We must create the most 90's game possible!" Then twenty years later Arino had to play it. So step into your cargo shorts, style your mullet, and check into Comix Zone.

I love this game with a passion, it hit all the right notes with me as a kid. Hell, I still blast the Grunge-inspired soundtrack in my car.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

That reminds me, I saw one booth there that was selling a Super Famicom copy of Clock Tower for $75. Didn't realize it went for that much.

Amazon shipped my copies of Retro Game Master too (bought a second copy for gifting purposes), and even with the free super saver shipping it says estimated delivery date is Thursday. Woo!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zari-gani posted:

I sincerely hope that Mendel Palace is in the queue for translation---I own it and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in it, since my copy came sans manual.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
These past couple videos have been nothing short of amazing thanks to both groups. I enjoyed both of them, but the Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode is now one of my all time favorites. :)

The Mystery of Atlantis non-DVD segment video was quite entertaining as well. It also makes me want to ask for the DVD set for my birthday a couple weeks from today so I can help support getting more official GCCX stuff over here. I'm still hoping for either an official release of Retro Game Challenge 2 (assuming the fan sub gets back on track since rdbbb said there have been a few issues with that not that long ago), or a compilation of both games on the 3DS and/or Wii U, but I'll definitely settle for more DVD sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tyma posted:

It's a good read, and if we've learnt anything, it's that we should film 10-minute recordings of someone going into an arcade and saying "Oh! I rememebr this! This is Windjammers!", before playing it badly and then selling the footage on DVDs!

It really makes one wonder if an "American Retro Game Master" would do as well in Japan as Game Center CX seems to be doing in the US. It'd probably still appeal only to a niche, but it'd be a very vocal niche with plenty of disposable income.