Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've been sick and bored lately, so I'm contemplating trying my hand at a Republic LP.

If I were to do such, what class would there be the most interest in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I've been sick and bored lately, so I'm contemplating trying my hand at a Republic LP.

If I were to do such, what class would there be the most interest in?

I'd honestly want to see whats up with the Jedi Consular, contrast it witht he Sith Inquisitor. Would you be willing to play mirro to the Inquisitor, dark side if he goes for a light side game?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dromund Kaas Episode 5: The news is worse than we expected.

Previously...

A rogue Sith Lord! Agent ABEENA MOONSLAYER of Imperial Intelligence is in the process of infiltrating the compound of the renegade Sith Lord GRATHAN. Her mission: contact the dissident inventor THEOVOR MINDAK and discover just what the dissidents are planning...

: This place is swarming with people. They all work for this Grathan guy?

Codex posted:

The rogue Sith Lord Grathan has declared himself the thirteenth Dark Council member, with his own power base and sphere of influence within the Sith hierarchy. Although his claim has not been widely recognized, he controls a substantial private army on Dromund Kaas. The Dark Council has authorized all-out warfare against Lord Grathan and anyone who supports him. After being driven from the Citadel, Lord Grathan holed up in his estate outside Kaas City. His forces there are made up of apprentices, loyal Imperial troops and cybernetic supersoldiers he developed in his secret weapons labs. His cadre of elite scientists–some volunteers, others kidnapped and forced into service–manufactures a seemingly endless number of war droids, as well, reducing attrition in Grathan’s army to near zero.

: Ok, this is the main fortress. Intel says that Theovor is in an underground lab, so we'll have to get inside and access an elevator down.

: This will do nicely.

: dun dun dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun...

: What's that you're humming?

: Just a tune I heard somewhere. It seemed appropriate for entering a Sith's stronghold.

: Oh my...

Click here to watch this conversation.

: You! You thought you could take me by surprise. But you can't!

: What do you want to bet this ends badly?

: Those were my daughter's access codes you used! Whatever you've done to her, I'll have my revenge.

: You must be Theovor Mindak. I've heard a lot about you.

: And you must be one of the little sadists from Imperial Intelligence. You people took away my wife. Stole her from my house one night and never told me what happened. My only daughter grew up to be worthless and now you've taken her from me, too! I despise your kind.

: We can resolve this peacefully, if you'll just listen to me.

: No. There won't be any peace until the Empire changes its ways.

: Look out!

: You take out the robot, I'll get the old guy!

: That's a horrible plan!

: Told you it would work.

: Well that's that I suppose. If he had only listened to me we could have avoided killing me.

: Whatever. Access his computer so we can get out of here.

: This is Watcher Two. I'm downloading the contents of Theovor's computers. Looks like blueprints, work he's done for Lord Grathan and...aha! Encrypted files. I should be able to decipher them if I cross-reference with the slave's datapad. ...hmm... I don't like what I'm seeing. There's a timetable, activity convergences, indications of something big. Get back to base as soon as you can.

: What do you mean by “something big?”

: I'm not sure yet. The encryption's good, good enough that I can't talk and think it through at the same time.

: So what you are telling me is...

: Stop bothering me and let me work. I'll see you soon agent. Watcher Two out.

: Back to Kaas City so soon? I was just starting to like it here.

: We need to make a stop first.

: I heard there was action in Grathan's place. Not many people make it in and out like that. But I'm not seeing my men. Tell me what you found in there.

: Grathan was experimenting on them, converting them into machines.

: Machines. ...Right. I'd heard rumors about Grathan's repulsive methods and I have a strong stomach, but...I feel a little sick right now. I was hoping they'd be OK. What an idiot I am.

: They didn't suffer. I made sure of that. It was the least I could do.

: It's not right, I...well I actually appreciate that. I guess it had to be done. I got the information I wanted so you earned your pay. Take it; those kids won't miss a few credits. Now I've got to send word to their families and return their belongings. Then it'll be time to recruit some fresh faces...

: I'll wish you good luck.

: Never seen this place so busy before.

: Something's up.

: Watcher Three, I need that linkup to the Dominater. If Lord Jadus wishes to observe, we must accommodate him.

: Establishing hololink, sir. Data flow is synchronized.

: Hey guys, what's going...GAH!

: Glad you found the time to visit us, agent. Take your place, the briefing starts now.

: I didn't realize I was late.

: Sorry, agent. It's been hectic.

: Lord Jadus, are you receiving our transmission?

: I am. Proceed, Keeper.

: Very well.

: You all know we've been attempting to determine the dissidents' plan of attack. Thanks to recent operations, we have the information we need. Unfortunately, the news is worse than we expected. A major strike is imminent. The dissidents are targeting the ancient power conduits that run beneath the capital.

: Their intention is to overload the power grid, causing a cascade failure that would detonate the power relay stations. The resulting explosions would kill hundreds of people, and the blackout would leave us vulnerable to further attacks.

: Sir, aren't the access points to the power grid under military control?

: All but one. The terrorists intend to access the power conduits through the Dark Temple.

: Sorry to interrupt. What's the Dark Temple?

: I'll sum up for those of you unfamiliar with the history. The Dark Temple predates Dromund Kaas' colonization. It was seized by the Sith during the city's construction. When the Dark Council opened it some months back they found it inhabited by Force-driven phenomena. Workers on-site began disappearing inside, controlled by unknown entities.

: But whereas we saw the Dark Temple as a threat to be contained, the dissidents saw it as an opportunity. The temple rests directly above a key power junction. If the dissidents can push past the, ah, “phenomena,” they can access the grid.

: These dissidents have been planning - they have supplies, maps, and weapons, and they're not counting on making it out alive. This is a suicide run.

: What's the likelihood they'll even make it to their goal?

: Watcher Two calculates forty percent odds of at least one dissident reaching the target. We have security footage of dissidents heading toward the Dark Temple. A full squad of operatives will pursue...

: No.

: My lord?

: There will be no squad. The Dark Temple is sacred ground and will not be unduly disturbed. My agent will go alone.

: HIS agent? Are you sure about this?

: My lord, I strongly urge you to reconsider. If the dissidents succeed...

: The spirits of the Temple must not be disturbed. Not by terrorists, and not by Imperial Intelligence. One agent will suffice. My role here is finished. Do as I will, Keeper. *hangs up*

: Very well. Then the decision is made. You will go to the Dark Temple. Stop the radicals from reaching the conduits and detonating their charges.

: I'm sorry about all this, sir.

: Not your fault.

: We'll monitor you as long as we can, but the Temple blocks most transmissions. So just, ah – good luck, agent.

: Good luck to you, too.

: Go on, agent. The Dark Temple is waiting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Are all Sith building required to have evil red lights everywhere? Do you get executed if you don't do it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... are we going alone and trying to stop the insurgents before they can even make it in, or locking down the power conduit before they can get there?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Glazius posted:

So... are we going alone and trying to stop the insurgents before they can even make it in, or locking down the power conduit before they can get there?

Depends on who gets there first, I suppose.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Wait, so the Imperial Agent gets to play a game of Counterstrike in the Dark Temple?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait, so the Imperial Agent gets to play a game of Counterstrike in the Dark Temple?

Pretty much. As Keeper said at the beginning of this planet, Dromund Kaas is where Imperial Intelligence can and does operate openly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Wait, when did the Agent get the Claymore shotgun from Mass Effect?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior: Update 17 - The Temple of Elemental Evil

Watch this conversation (Recommended MANDATORY Viewing, this is why Baras is such a great foil)

Nice lungs you got there.
Mind your tongue, or I will cut it out!
Ok, I’m officially scared.
This is impossible. An unknown power must be shielding this man, which only confirms my suspicions.
This Republic agent is the key to unlocking the threat we face. I must harness my rage and frustration. They will lead me to an answer.
Wake me when you figure it out.
Your insolence will one day be your undoing.--
Or yours.
What?
What?
--I would punish you if I wasn’t so pleased with your progress.
And the word has spread that Lord Grathan is incensed at the slaying of his secret son. I take it that was your handiwork.
I didn’t even break a sweat.
My confidence in you is growing.
I haven’t heard from Dri’kill Ba’al, my agent in Grathan’s camp. He’s missed a scheduled communication. Let me guess--he gave you trouble, did he?
He gave me no trouble at all.
Ha! I can sense the truth behind your words, apprentice. Ba’al can be replaced.
Now, back to my prisoner. There is one last possibility to break him. I thought it impossible, but perhaps there’s a small chance you could pull it off.
Over a millennium past, the Emperor claimed Dromund Kaas and made the Dark Temple the epicenter of dark Force energy.
In the bowels of the temple, he conducted horrifying experiments that drained the knowledge and life essences from all the greatest Sith Lords of the time.
Let’s cut to the chase.
The Emperor created a device called “the Ravager” that ate his victims’ minds and delivered to him their greatest secrets.
No one could withstand the Ravager’s intrusion--even the strongest Sith Lords of the Empire confessed whatever the Emperor craved.
Let me guess, you want me to get the Ravager.
It may be my only chance to break this Republic worm.
The Emperor keeps the Ravager hidden in the Dark Temple, which has, in his absence, become a death trap.
There’s a good chance the horrors that await you will be too severe. But it’s worth your life to me.

Kaas City makes me feel tiny. I don’t suppose you share in that sentiment.
Sometimes.

So.

I guess we’re going into the Dark Temple now?
Ever get the feeling that this is all make-work?
Before? Yeah. This time I’m not so sure.
Your Master seemed genuinely disturbed.
I--my Lekku are still quivering.
Are you afraid, Vette?

Stupid question, I know.
The Dark Side feeds on fear, and we are bound to a place so steeped in it that I can feel it eating away at the edges of my perceptions.
That isn’t exactly helping.
It’s just a big ugly rock. Like every other big ugly rock on this planet.
It will prey on you, but only if you let it. Remember:
Fear is natural. Fear is healthy. So long as you don’t let it master you.

Chirp. Chirp chirp.
Heh. Hahahaha.

Oh no, not another one.
Look, it’s on a rock pillar out in the middle of nowhere. You’ll never reach--
As far as jumping puzzles go, I have a feeling this is the easiest we’ll face.
I was afraid you were going to say that.

What’ll it be this time? Death lasers? Flamethrowers? How about a giant plastic Wookiee on a spring?
I see.

Master Yoda, you’re wrong.
Fear doesn’t lead to anger. Fear and anger feed on each other.

Sith. Hey, Sith! Who’s Master Yoda?
Master who?

So, how bad do you think it’ll be in there?
The way Baras describes the place, I’m honestly expecting it’ll be deserted.
What about the angry Sith ghosts?
Apart from those, I’m sure we’ll have nothing to worry about.
I’ve sent three separate expeditions into the Dark Temple--not one has returned.
I can’t say for sure what’s going on, but people who go in there--they don’t come back.

Maybe if you think being scared of something that kills Sith is unreasonable.
I kill Sith.

You can survive the Dark Temple. I beg you to do me--and more importantly, the Empire--a favor.
Here we go.
The expeditions I sent in were looking for specific data. I can spare the manpower--they were slaves, mostly--but that data is essential.
What kind of data was it?
We were studying a recent increase in seismic activity in the area, including possible damage to the temple itself.

You buy that?
Sounds legit.
The slaves from the expeditions were equipped with datapads to store the data they collected. Bring back those datapads.
The information’s vital to future construction on Dromund Kaas. It’s not glamorous but…will you help?
If my time allows.
And if you stop using ellipses.
I’ll mark the location the expedition last signaled from on your map. It’s the best I can do.
That does seem to be the case.
I’m never getting promoted, am I?
That’s not for me to say.
Oh, thank--
But I wouldn’t count on it.

So, an empty temple, huh?
Hush, and keep throwing grenades.

Cheery.
So, this place is just crawling with angry Sith ghosts, isn’t it?
The Emperor used to bury his enemies here.
I’ll take that as a “yes.”
We could make a fortune looting this place.

Just one tomb? It’s not like the Emperor would know.
You’re a bad influence on me, you know that?
Yessss!
Just one tomb. One.

Y’know, on second thought, I--
WHO DARES?!

Answer me! What insolence brings you to this place, slave?

I, however? Am.
What? You’re not afraid of me?
Nope.
Not even the slightest bit.
You aren’t a mindless puppet like the rest of them? I--I don’t understand.
I still have my senses, but someone here is out of his.
You’re right, I was out of my senses. But not anymore.
Only because I called you on your bullshit. Which I’m doing again: bullshit.
I--I was part of an expedition sent by the Empire to measure strange activity in the Dark Temple. But soon after we entered, we all became… different people.
I became the mighty Lord Venerous, and the others became my obedient followers and servants!
You seem normal enough now.
For an idiot.
Yes--for some reason, the madness no longer has its hold on me. Like whatever’s causing this dream is losing its power.
Not losing its power. Simply… returning to sleep.
It’s strange that you seem to be unaffected. In fact, it’s strange to find you here at all.
I thought the Imperials gave up sending people in here. What exactly are you doing here?

That is a line of questioning that will get you killed.

Would you like some seismic data?
Yes.
So, I get to live?
If you had been a real Sith Lord, the answer to that would have been “no.” Now, if there’s nothing else, I’m--

So I’d be grateful if, when you turn in the data, you’d encourage the Imperials to send more expeditions my way.

Yes, I do think I’ve finally found my true calling.

Nobody would miss him.
I’m not here to kill slaves.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
And of course, this must be also posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqG-WaNXoHc

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love the whole "problem master?" conversation. Sith Warrior was easily one of my favorite classes to play as.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Morti and Vette are the best buddy cops as you write them.

Really screwed up buddy cops.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

"It's worth your life to me."

Gotta love Baras sometimes. He might be incredibly cliche cackling evil, but it's still great to hear him casually mention that you are worth less than some relic.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Bruceski posted:

I'd say go for a Twi'lek, it fits with the Inquisitor storyline pretty well. I'm surprised one can even pick Sith, did you legacy unlick it?

Sith originally wasn't listed as a playable race for Inquisitors while the game was still in development, but enough people on the TOR forums complained and caused Bioware to change their minds.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Tiny Deer posted:

Morti and Vette are the best buddy cops as you write them.

Really screwed up buddy cops.

This, totally. I love the balance this LP has had so far in Straight Man (Abeena), Wacky (Mort and Vette) and in between (Lamadar); it's really been something special to read.

Thus, to preserve that balance, I have a request: if we ever do get Republic playthroughs, make the characters as far Darksided as these guys have been Lightsided. Let's ride this train to the end and reveal the Star Wars morality system as the jeuvenile idiocy it is!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

resurgam40 posted:

Thus, to preserve that balance, I have a request: if we ever do get Republic playthroughs, make the characters as far Darksided as these guys have been Lightsided. Let's ride this train to the end and reveal the Star Wars morality system as the jeuvenile idiocy it is!

The Trooper gets some great evil moments; and by that I mean FemShep [CLICK FOR RENEGADE] options. Except you don't get to defenestrate anyone.

resurgam40 posted:

Wacky (Mort and Vette)

You have no idea how much it amuses me that Vette is getting partial credit for this.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 2, 2012

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Alright so take two. Or rather test post two. How do these look for quality/size wise? (I stole other posters sizes so don't anyone dare say they're too big! :argh:)

E/N: People are mean to me because I'm an alien and a slave and I killed my best friends dog. Do I sever? :qq:

And I'm an rear end in a top hat!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

JamMasterJim posted:

And of course, this must be also posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqG-WaNXoHc

I was sad that you didn't post this one.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to add that that video has a few potential spoilers in it. Just watch until the obvious scene is over and close it if you want to avoid them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Catsworth posted:

E/N: People are mean to me because I'm an alien and a slave and I killed my best friends dog. Do I sever? :qq:

Looks fine to me.
Have you tried beating your overseer with a stick?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Catsworth posted:

Alright so take two. Or rather test post two. How do these look for quality/size wise? (I stole other posters sizes so don't anyone dare say they're too big! :argh:)

Looks good to me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Catsworth posted:

Looks fine to me; pngs might make things harder for people on tablets though. Mind you, ToR does look like a beautiful game, and pngs would be best for bringing all that quality out (Ord Mantell's terrible, though), so it's your call.

P/S: Increasing graphics quality wouldn't slow down your game connection-wise, would it? I mean, I downloaded 25 gigs of stuff, surely that's all the textures, voice acting etc?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CommissarMega posted:

P/S: Increasing graphics quality wouldn't slow down your game connection-wise, would it? I mean, I downloaded 25 gigs of stuff, surely that's all the textures, voice acting etc?

It won't slow down the connection, but it has the potential to bring your computer to a grinding halt. TOR isn't that graphics intensive overall, but if you compare it to most other MMO's it's on the high performance end.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll give increasing my graphics a go, then. As it stands, I've been running on the lowest settings because my connection's a bit naff.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Catsworth posted:

So you have one character to make all the ridiculous dark side options? Or am I misunderstanding?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

So you have one character to make all the ridiculous dark side options? Or am I misunderstanding?

Second guy is the overseer who you will get to know all too well. Videos of the conversations are almost done so I'll be posting my first update shortly. Also would like to wait for the next page since there are already two updates on this one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

whowhatwhere posted:

The rear end in a top hat is the guy that is your "trainer" for a while. He's funny to tease.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Brainamp posted:

The rear end in a top hat is the guy that is your "trainer" for a while. He's funny to tease.

And the end of his quest line is hilarious, in a troll-getting-shown-up kind of way.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This thread got me to dust off my copy of TOR and start up a Sorcerer (not finishing my Juggernaught or Commando :argh:). Are tank companions still poo poo?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

1. Korriban - Trading one master for another

Click here for the Introduction

My name is Atronie. Or that is the name I was given when my servitude finally came to an end at least. I know not of my origins or bloodlines. All I know is that apparently I am strong in the Force. I was given a choice that was not a choice at all and now I arrive on Korriban to begin my training as a Sith. I have been a slave for as far back as my memory goes so believe me when I promise I will do everything in my power to be free. I'll play along. For now-

These arrogant, condescending scum will get theirs. For now there's nothing left to do but join them lest I get cut down before my prime.

It would be a shame if freedom went to your head, or if you somehow got the idea you didn't need to pass your trials to become Sith. Lord Zash has tasked me with sorting through you refuse to find one worthy of being her apprentice, and I intend to do just that.
Please, don't get all sentimental on us. We've only just met.
I won't. Now the rest of you gutter trash already know your trial. Get going while I bring our latecomer up to speed.

I'll attack from the front, you take him from behind, and we'll see how he fares.
Uh... yeah. Looks like you can handle yourself.
Now, slave, for your trial: There's a hermit named Spindrall who lives in the tomb of Ajunta Pall in the Valley of the Dark Lords. Spindrall's a lunatic, but Lord Zash sees him as some kind of prophet. Once you find him, he will test you.
Fine. I will seek the insane hermit in the incredibly dangerous tomb and take his little test.

Free of the overseer I stepped out into Korriban proper. The tomb of Ajunta Pall lay directly ahead of me with the Sith Academy in the distance. It was not the first tomb I'd ever been forced into nor would it be the last.

The tomb seemed to be infested with these creatures with mouths bigger than my head. If I had not been careful I would have lost it and more. Nothing could keep me from pushing on, from finding this mad hermit in the desert.

I quickly realized I was not the only acolyte seeking Spindrall's attention.

In fact there were many others training, attempting to wrong past failures and start their climb up the ladder of power once more.

Click here for conversation.

You are here for your trial, yes? Learn the ways of the Sith from a doddering old man in a tomb. And hopefully to return to your master with the mark of my approval.
Actually, I just came for some fresh air.
Do you take me for a fool? No one comes into these tombs for the sheer pleasure of it--not even me.

And they do--but before you can learn them, you must pass a trial of blood. Survive this, and I will teach you what I know.

The lot of them would kill me as if it were nothing in order to gain some semblance of a life back. I can relate all too well but they were not about to stand in my way.

But your desire proved stronger, and their blood became the mantle of your victory. Well done--but you are not Sith yet.

This is the Sith Code. Commit it to your heart, and you will have the strength to crush your enemies. Do you understand?
Yes, I think I do. I must use my emotions to grow strong.
Do not be timid. Humility is the attitude of a slave, not a Sith. Now go. Return to Harkun and nurture your hatred of him. And use your fear of him to grow stronger. He may raise his fist to strike, but it is Lord Zash who determines where the blow will land.
But who controls Zash, I wonder?
When you know the answer to that, you will have power over both your masters. Now go! Leave me to my rest.

All that was left was to return to Harkun and inform him of my success.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 2, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bad Moon posted:

This thread got me to dust off my copy of TOR and start up a Sorcerer (not finishing my Juggernaught or Commando :argh:). Are tank companions still poo poo?

They weren't poo poo when I stopped playing, if you were something really bursty. Gear them for pretty much pure HP with some defense on top of it, and just send them in first and spam everything you've got.

[EDIT]That is to say, MELEE tank companions weren't poo poo. Ranged tanks were still pretty bad. :saddowns: Poor Blizz.

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007
Update looks good for the most part. Your videos are a bit choppy, unfortunately, despite the good quality. Also, subtitles are a bit blurry in the screenshots but I can still easily read them. (Doesn't mean others won't however.)

Otherwise, I like it, but my standards may be low compared to others.

Edit: Was your original source videos (before encoding) smoother? Just curious.

Lamadar fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 2, 2012

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Lamadar posted:

Edit: Disregard this for now.

I was planning on it but I talked to Moon Slayer and we figured I can always edit it out and post it again if it's really an issue.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 2, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are ranged tanks viable now, post 1.4? I'm planning to run with Aric as a Trooper, dude seems the best companion for my Republican fanatic character.

EDIT: How do I turn on subtitles? I tried the options screen, but they still don't show up.

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: How do I turn on subtitles? I tried the options screen, but they still don't show up.

It should just be on the options screen. Select Subtitles on, and they appear. If you did this and its not happening, then it is a bug. (or they didn't take, if you forgot to hit the Apply button.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CommissarMega posted:

Are ranged tanks viable now, post 1.4? I'm planning to run with Aric as a Trooper, dude seems the best companion for my Republican fanatic character.

Aric isn't a ranged tank. He's a ranged DPS.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

For the single player content only, you should be fine. Just keep their equipment updated.

Good builds with the proper companion can however even do heroic quests on their own(which was useful cause at times, there were no people to team up with)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay, so if I end up doing a Republic run, two questions;

Is it cool if I post it in this thread? If more people did republic runs, I'd open up my own thread.

Secondly, is there any "10 free days if you come back" type things, or do I need to bite the bullet and drop :10bux: or so?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Zaodai posted:

They weren't poo poo when I stopped playing, if you were something really bursty. Gear them for pretty much pure HP with some defense on top of it, and just send them in first and spam everything you've got.

[EDIT]That is to say, MELEE tank companions weren't poo poo. Ranged tanks were still pretty bad. :saddowns: Poor Blizz.

I remember them nerfing tank companion ability to mitigate damage a lot and they would get pancaked later on. You were better off running a dps companion and just burning poo poo down.

CommissarMega posted:

Jorgen is more ranged dps. You'll find your ranged tank later on.

Lamadar posted:

It should just be on the options screen. Select Subtitles on, and they appear. If you did this and its not happening, then it is a bug. (or they didn't take, if you forgot to hit the Apply button.)

You can also do it in game under prefrences/user interface and check "Display Subtitles for Conversations."

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anatharon posted:

Okay, so if I end up doing a Republic run, two questions;

Is it cool if I post it in this thread? If more people did republic runs, I'd open up my own thread.

Secondly, is there any "10 free days if you come back" type things, or do I need to bite the bullet and drop :10bux: or so?

This thread would probably get a bit too clustered to have a republic run as well. You have to actually pay if you are renewing a subscription.

• Locked thread