Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

The lightrifle fires a three-round burst like a BR when fired unscoped. When scoped in, it fires a single-shot like a DMR. The single shot still uses 3 ammo and deals slightly more damage than a full three-burst.

The boltshot (promethean pistol), isn't anything like a plasma pistol by the way, other than that it can charge up. It functions like a weaker magnum, but it can be charged up to fire a close-range shotgun-style energy blast. The blast is strong enough to one-shot at point blank range, but the timing is "hard," unlike the plasma pistol which you can just charge until you're ready, the boltshot fires when it's ready and not a moment sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

BabyMauler posted:

Light rifle is three round burst unscoped, when scoped in its single shot like DMR/Carbine.
So a Designated Marksman Battle Rifle. Seems a bit redundant.

Pistol sounds alright, though. I like the idea that you can't just hold the charge forever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't know if this was really well-known before or not, but the final map count for War Games is 10 (not counting the three forge maps or the promised future DLC).

So, we've got:
Adrift
Haven
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnorak
Abandon

That leaves two more unannounced multiplayer maps. We've also only seen two of the three forge maps (the large outdoor one called Ravine and the indoor one used for Grifball).

Notably, we haven't seen ANY covenant-themed maps yet.

Okay, I'm going to ignore the maps themselves for a second and comment on the first 20 seconds of that video: that Blue Team dude using his thrusters to blast past the Red Team guying trying to ambush him, and then meleeing the Red in the back, was slick as hell, goddamn. Game's gonna own.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man, I haven't been paying attention to Halo 4 hype so I missed the whole breakdown on the Promethean weapons. I guess they were really trying to hammer home the whole "Covenant co-opted the tech as best they could," because the rifle and pistol dude was using in that Abandon walkthrough look like early versions of the carbine and the plasma pistol. The rifle looks like it performs the same, carries the same 72 reserve ammo, etc.

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

All the new weapons are thematically the same as the old kits and have about as much distinction as the Covie stuff does from Human. It's kinda lame, but I feel they found a good excuse. Something about how if you make a weapon too specialized then it's either overpowered or too situational, so they stuck with archetypes people know.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

going to a halo 4 black beta event tomorrow night, will get to play the game and drink free beer.

anything in particular people want to know about?

also, in the past these events have been for horrible games so hopefully this isnt a sign that H4 is rubbish.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

kater posted:

All the new weapons are thematically the same as the old kits and have about as much distinction as the Covie stuff does from Human. It's kinda lame, but I feel they found a good excuse. Something about how if you make a weapon too specialized then it's either overpowered or too situational, so they stuck with archetypes people know.
Yeah, I mentioned the same thing a page or two ago. If you go with 30 different guns with too many niches, people are just going to feel like they never have the right gun for a given situation and gravitate to the most utilitarian weapon (i.e. the BR in Halo 2/3). Then you end up with one gun that everyone uses all the time, two other basic starter guns (like a pistol and an AR) three or four OSK power weapons that get a lot of use, and 22 cool weapons with neato, highly situational functions that no one really gives a poo poo about outside of customs or "oh man, we got matched with total scrubs. I'm gonna wreck these chumps with [dumb gun no one uses]."

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I dunno, Promo mines or something would be neat. There are weapon types they could have explored with the Promo stuff.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing a page or two ago. If you go with 30 different guns with too many niches, people are just going to feel like they never have the right gun for a given situation and gravitate to the most utilitarian weapon (i.e. the BR in Halo 2/3). Then you end up with one gun that everyone uses all the time, two other basic starter guns (like a pistol and an AR) three or four OSK power weapons that get a lot of use, and 22 cool weapons with neato, highly situational functions that no one really gives a poo poo about outside of customs or "oh man, we got matched with total scrubs. I'm gonna wreck these chumps with [dumb gun no one uses]."

Plus, unlike Halo 2/3 there's no dual wielding to contend with, so presumably we won't have to worry about certain weapons' usability being watered down. I really hope this approach to the weapon balance works, because it would be a real shame to go back to 420 xxBRxx shot pr0 only bullshit with all the different guns in the sandbox this time.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I was listening to the latest sparkcast ay work and they brought up weapon ballence. In Reach a AR vs a DMR, the dmr guy would win most of the time. In 4 they balanced it so the AR will probably kill the guy if you get a jump on him. Frankie and those guys explained it much better than I can.

I think you will see a BR DMR Light Rifle split in high level play, but everything has a place and can be competitive against the rifles in the right situation.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

I'm gonna wreck these chumps with [dumb gun no one uses]."

Oh how I miss the spike rifle...

I actually like the light rifle's different fire modes. The BR doing that is one of the things I'm annoyed didn't make it into Halo 2. And that whole level from the demo I guess. The infinite ammo SMGs would have been pretty nice too. And an ending. Halo 2 was kind of a developmental clusterfuck.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BabyMauler posted:

In 4 they balanced it so the AR will probably kill the guy if you get a jump on him.

Uh, it was always that way. The problem has always been that an AR has the effective range of a piss against the wind and the rifles will kill at near infinity.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

BabyMauler posted:

I was listening to the latest sparkcast ay work and they brought up weapon ballence. In Reach a AR vs a DMR, the dmr guy would win most of the time. In 4 they balanced it so the AR will probably kill the guy if you get a jump on him. Frankie and those guys explained it much better than I can.

I think you will see a BR DMR Light Rifle split in high level play, but everything has a place and can be competitive against the rifles in the right situation.

Kill yourself from the shame.

To seriously reply to your content, in Reach, an AR will still kill a dude if you get a jump on him, it just has to be a pretty decent jump, at least more than a half second. Also, the AR in general is a lot stronger in 2 v 2 matches than 1 v 1. I found that I was using the AR a lot more when I was playing Doubles with my bro because it has a much faster firing rate and missing a round means much less than missing a round with the DMR.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I'm on my phone in a work van and swift key didn't catch the typo :(

I am just going on what the devs said, give it a listen its cool to hear their reasoning for the changes. The scorpion drives better now at least. Still nothing on another flying craft, rip falconry.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I can't keep up with all this news. I hope the waypoint stuff works better with 4. I figure it will really help people who don't keep up by reading 40 articles about the mechs on ragnarok. What about the casuals 343?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Laserface posted:

going to a halo 4 black beta event tomorrow night, will get to play the game and drink free beer.

anything in particular people want to know about?

also, in the past these events have been for horrible games so hopefully this isnt a sign that H4 is rubbish.

Can you see if its possible to sit a Mantis on top of a Falcon and make a flying death fortress tia

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Can you see if its possible to sit a Mantis on top of a Falcon and make a flying death fortress tia

Have we seen falcons in the game?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't think they've shown up in multiplayer yet, but.

Look to the right of Chief's head riiiight behind the Infinity. Definitely some kinda Falcon/Hornet-esque thing.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Those are definitely Falcons.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We need to get 8 goons together in forge and build F4lconry the map and gametype and then murder each other continuously instead.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Forgive me for stupid questions, but Halo titles are literally the only console games I've ever played, so I don't know any better. If I stroll down to the local Best Buy on release day, will Halo 4 be in stock? I would have pre-ordered through Gamestop, but my local franchise vanished. I would also go with some kind of release-day delivery (Amazon, etc.), but I have an apartment buzzer that is kind of spotty. So I want to know if I can just show up for a midnight/morning-of release somewhere and grab a copy, of if I should treat this like new iPhone day and pre-order.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, I don't see why Best Buy won't have any copies on launch day. You'll be able to just stroll on in and pick one up. Each store will easily have a few thousand available.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

Forgive me for stupid questions, but Halo titles are literally the only console games I've ever played, so I don't know any better. If I stroll down to the local Best Buy on release day, will Halo 4 be in stock? I would have pre-ordered through Gamestop, but my local franchise vanished. I would also go with some kind of release-day delivery (Amazon, etc.), but I have an apartment buzzer that is kind of spotty. So I want to know if I can just show up for a midnight/morning-of release somewhere and grab a copy, of if I should treat this like new iPhone day and pre-order.
If you're not concerned with pre-order bonuses, etc., and aren't buying from Gamestop, there's pretty much no reason to pre-order any game that isn't going to have a limited run. It'll be in stock at Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, Toys R Us, and pretty much any other store that has a "video games" section.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

The lightrifle fires a three-round burst like a BR when fired unscoped. When scoped in, it fires a single-shot like a DMR. The single shot still uses 3 ammo and deals slightly more damage than a full three-burst.

The boltshot (promethean pistol), isn't anything like a plasma pistol by the way, other than that it can charge up. It functions like a weaker magnum, but it can be charged up to fire a close-range shotgun-style energy blast. The blast is strong enough to one-shot at point blank range, but the timing is "hard," unlike the plasma pistol which you can just charge until you're ready, the boltshot fires when it's ready and not a moment sooner or later.

I just read that in Spongebob's voice it was amazing, thank you.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

The more I see of this game the more fantastic it looks, it's nice to see that they finally gave the engine an overhaul so that we can get some decent graphics in a Halo game as well. Watching gameplay footage of this reminds me of the awe that I had for the first time I sat down and played Killzone 2 :D

Any word on a season pass and how much it will be if so? They put some really nice maps out for Reach so I'd rather just put down the cash now if it will save a few MS points from purchasing it all separately.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

MUFFlNS posted:

The more I see of this game the more fantastic it looks, it's nice to see that they finally gave the engine an overhaul so that we can get some decent graphics in a Halo game as well. Watching gameplay footage of this reminds me of the awe that I had for the first time I sat down and played Killzone 2 :D

Any word on a season pass and how much it will be if so? They put some really nice maps out for Reach so I'd rather just put down the cash now if it will save a few MS points from purchasing it all separately.

2000 points gets you access to three map packs of three maps each, plus two exclusive helmets.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

If you're not concerned with pre-order bonuses, etc., and aren't buying from Gamestop, there's pretty much no reason to pre-order any game that isn't going to have a limited run. It'll be in stock at Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, Toys R Us, and pretty much any other store that has a "video games" section.

Awesome, thanks.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I've been burned on every single map pack released for every single Halo. They never come up, and it was all a big waste of money.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Maybe 343 will be a bit better and faster about putting the cheapskates in their gulag instead of keeping customers who pay extra for more content from playing on their new content more frequently. I remember the big huge babbies up in this thread when Bungie finally said "yeah, if you don't pony up for the DLC, you're stuck in these two or three (terrible) playlists" after three goddamn years.

Obviously you can't make that shift right off the bat, but buying something and waiting several years to actually play on it with regularity is a joke. Anim8, pay attention and pass it along to your superiors.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just fyi, the limited edition does come with the war games map pass as stated on 343's bulletin. I would pay the bulletin, but I'm on a phone at the moment :/ sorry

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I've been burned on every single map pack released for every single Halo. They never come up, and it was all a big waste of money.

Halo 2 was hilarious in this regard. You bought the map pack and got to play them on a special playlist with everyone else who got the map packs. In 2 months or something the map pack became free for everyone. What was the point?

Paid map packs are the worst. They do nothing but split the playerbase and shorten the lifespan of any game I've bought that has them. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand I've returned to everytime they release a free map pack + more classes.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 4, 2012

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I was pretty pumped when Midship got redone for H3 (or was it Reach?), as I always had fun on that map in H2. It came up a grand total of zero times ever in matchmaking for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

H3 midship wasn't as good because the hovering platform didn't move. :mad:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Halo 2 was hilarious in this regard. You bought the map pack and got to play them on a special playlist with everyone else who got the map packs. In 2 months or something the map pack became free for everyone. What was the point?

They did this with the first H3 map pack too and it was ridiculous. $10 to play Standoff OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. And then a few months later it became free. Which wasn't terrible, because Standoff was a dope addition to normal playlists and sometimes that forge map wasn't instantly veto'd.

I really liked the ODST multiplayer disc. They should do something like that again. So long as it's not a part of a loving Halo 2 remake. Well, assuming the Halo 4 multiplayer is actually good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AngryBooch posted:

Paid map packs are the worst. They do nothing but split the playerbase and shorten the lifespan of any game I've bought that has them. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand I've returned to everytime they release a free map pack + more classes.

ME3 has the "buy item packs with real dollars and/or ingame money which we dole out realllll slow" revenue stream more than making up for map packs, though.

I agree packs that everyone has are the only way to actually play them more than about twice on pack launch day though.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
This game almost looks to good to be true

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

IGN accidentally posted the reveal for the next multiplayer map, Meltdown, early. Of course someone has already gotten a copy of it uploaded to YouTube before IGN took their video down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBGeAleqaY

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
That's pretty small for all the vehicle map emphasis they seem to be putting on it. Looks way too easy for one team to simply steal all the ghosts and lock down the other teams spawn, but I guess we'll see how it plays when we actually get our hands on it.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Doggles posted:

IGN accidentally posted the reveal for the next multiplayer map, Meltdown, early. Of course someone has already gotten a copy of it uploaded to YouTube before IGN took their video down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBGeAleqaY

I like how the terrain, particularly the rock surfaces, have a digital painting look. It stops the surfaces from having a "repeated texture" effect that a lot of games have had.

The narrow canyons make me think of vehicle combat on rats nest, a real chance for us to smash our toys into each other while making 'vroom vroom!' Noises.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Just fyi, the limited edition does come with the war games map pass as stated on 343's bulletin. I would pay the bulletin, but I'm on a phone at the moment :/ sorry

Yeah I've just gone and dropped the cash for the LE now. I'm hopeful that they'll handle DLC packs the same way that COD does, whereby everybody has access to the same playlists, but people with DLC get matched with others who also have DLC and ditto for people who haven't bought it. We'll see, but I suspect that 343 will have a better handle on things like that than Bungie did.

V for Vegans posted:

That's pretty small for all the vehicle map emphasis they seem to be putting on it. Looks way too easy for one team to simply steal all the ghosts and lock down the other teams spawn, but I guess we'll see how it plays when we actually get our hands on it.

I suspect that the teleporters that take you to the side bases are designed to help with that, along with the covered high ground that looks too narrow and difficult to effectively navigate with any of the vehicles. I get the impression that they've specifically designed the map in that way to help counter any spawn trapping issues, whether it works in execution however remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah I've just gone and dropped the cash for the LE now. I'm hopeful that they'll handle DLC packs the same way that COD does, whereby everybody has access to the same playlists, but people with DLC get matched with others who also have DLC and ditto for people who haven't bought it. We'll see, but I suspect that 343 will have a better handle on things like that than Bungie did.
Bungie did exactly that. Since Halo doesn't function with drop-in-drop-out multiplayer like CoD uses it will eventually just give people a match because they figured (correctly, IMO) "we'll prioritize matches with DLC but eventually people want to play a game instead of waiting for a game." Same reason you occasionally got lopsided matches. If it can't find a perfect match it branches out further and further from your skill until it pretty much decides "welp, next game with an open slot's where you're going!"

Since CoD uses the drop-in-drop out it can use a map rotation for the people that hang around for multiple games rather than playing one match on one map, then going back to the hoppers to find a new match.

• Locked thread