Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It looks stupid, but there are far worse controllers out there in terms of function and ergonomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It looks stupid, but there are far worse controllers out there in terms of function and ergonomics.

Come on...

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That thing is awesome.

wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang

The finest controller ever produced.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Come on...

That's one's pretty lame compared to...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That thing is awesome.

Which button protects your neck?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That thing is awesome.

You'll be glad/horrified to know that 29 people have purchased this controller recently.

:suicide:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's one's pretty lame compared to...

I hope that tail is soft and bendy, otherwise I guess it'll ruing your crotch if you sit with it in your lap.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Honestly wasn't THAT bad. The d-pad/analog stick switch was probably the single worst thing about it.

edit: It seems like I might have crazy hands though because I think the Gamecube controller is practically unusable.
I have no clue how but I remember that Saturn controller being comfortable, of course all I did was play Nights and shooters on it. Thinking about the stick and dpad at least, the Dreamcast controller was a downgrade from it.

But I have normal hands that loved the GC one but couldn't stand the Xbox controller.

Iacen posted:

I hope that tail is soft and bendy, otherwise I guess it'll ruing your crotch if you sit with it in your lap.
It should be the cord, just continue that texture pattern all the way back to the connector.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Honestly wasn't THAT bad. The d-pad/analog stick switch was probably the single worst thing about it.

edit: It seems like I might have crazy hands though because I think the Gamecube controller is practically unusable.

The thing that makes the Gamecube controller difficult to use is that many games don't use the analog triggers, and want want you to simply press them down all the way. While it's not much more effort than any other controller, using the Game Boy Player or playing games that required R and L button pressing really often were quickly tiring.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
The Saturn not having dual analogue sticks is pretty reasonable, bit the DC only having one stick was nuts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Please you guys don't even know about bad controllers.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I saw that chainsaw controller at Gamestop back when it came out. How are you supposed to hold it? :stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

japtor posted:

The Classic Controller had analog shoulder buttons with a bit of travel and a click at the bottom like GC triggers. edit-someone made a nerdy video proof of it...two months ago :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

The Classic Controller Pro made them all digital and moved them around to be like the PS controllers.

drat, I don't even remember that on the regular CC but I dropped it so quick with the release of MH3 and gave it away so I'm not surprised.

Mill Village posted:

I saw that chainsaw controller at Gamestop back when it came out. How are you supposed to hold it? :stare:

The two handles I think? The black one and the regular chainsaw one. It's absolutely retarded.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I'm pretty sure the basic idea behind that design is that you give it to whoever won your last Smash Brothers match.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mill Village posted:

No idea but I'm getting the impression it's like a pseudo-arcade stick.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

big mean giraffe posted:

They've been around longer than just this generation.

They've been around for longer, but games rarely used them until this generation.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PonchAxis posted:

Please you guys don't even know about bad controllers.

Yeah, Hori is a treasure trove of bizarre controllers, like the katana one (for Muso 3? Is that Dynasty Warriors from Koei?).

They also made the Dragon Quest Slime controller (with an easily disconnected cable...).

For the Dragon Quest hack and slash Wii game, they made this controller:

They were apparently inspired by Wii's split controllers to make this PS controller.

While I couldn't find any photos, they also made a custom PS2 controller with a tiny stand attached so a player could have her budgie sit on the controller while she played. (Famitsu special: Couldn't find photos.)

Hori also tried to make controllers with hair. (Like the stubbly stuff that used to pass as hair on GI Joe figures from long ago.) Apparently that was a disaster. "In about thirty minutes, the controllers looked tragic." But that didn't discourage them from making prototypes for all consoles and testing repeatedly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm really curious to try that split controller. That's one aspect of the Wiimote that I liked.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love to read a thread about weird controllers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm really curious to try that split controller. That's one aspect of the Wiimote that I liked.

In college we toyed with the concept as applied to a traditional keyboard, cut in half.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Chronojam posted:

In college we toyed with the concept as applied to a traditional keyboard, cut in half.
Those are actually used occasionally for people with medical conditions which cause them to have problems keeping their arms in front of them as you'd need with a regular keyboard. Usually attached to the side of a chair instead so they can use them while keeping their arms hanging down. :eng101:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Oh, that's neat. We just realized one day that while you're laying in bed or slouching in a comfy chair, your hands are often in strange not-together positions.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
You think those are crazy, wait till you see the next thing coming from Nintendo:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They should have taken the opportunity to get rid of face buttons and put them on either the handle of the controller or make them into levers or triggers of some kind.

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus
Speaking of controllers, here's a great clip showing the gamepad going through a lag test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhZYjyBxc

Spoiler:no lag

Bonus Edit: ZombiU Dev Diary #2 just went up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21GztGJUbI

StepDadJeff fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 2, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fatal posted:

You think those are crazy, wait till you see the next thing coming from Nintendo:

Not wide enough...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

zenintrude posted:

Not wide enough...

I want that. You can balance it on your lap. If I could get some kludgey thing going to use it with a computer as a keyboard AND a gamepad, it would be the best invention EVER. No joke.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

DoctorWhat posted:

I want that. You can balance it on your lap. If I could get some kludgey thing going to use it with a computer as a keyboard AND a gamepad, it would be the best invention EVER. No joke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamecube-Co...=item3a7624be04

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I know THOSE exist but I doubt it supports they keyboard portion.

PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG AND IT DOES

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

DoctorWhat posted:

I know THOSE exist but I doubt it supports they keyboard portion.

PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG AND IT DOES

I can't confirm/deny that the keyboard function works with one of those, but I have a USB to GCN adapter that I used to connect a USB keyboard to my GCN, so I would guess that the reverse would be true as well...

IIRC, the ASCII keyboard controller has two plugs, one for the controller buttons and one for the keyboard section, so it would seem like it would have a good chance of working.

Would be nice if someone who had both could confirm this, though.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

Dreamcast controller was so gimmicky. Who the hell needs a second screen in their controller? How am I, a hardcore gamer, supposed to keep track of all that?

The VMU screen wasn't even used by most games. You got a title screen at most.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Vaerai Archon posted:

The VMU screen wasn't even used by most games. You got a title screen at most.

He was being factitious... remind yourself what thread you're posting in :ssh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

I can't confirm/deny that the keyboard function works with one of those, but I have a USB to GCN adapter that I used to connect a USB keyboard to my GCN, so I would guess that the reverse would be true as well...

IIRC, the ASCII keyboard controller has two plugs, one for the controller buttons and one for the keyboard section, so it would seem like it would have a good chance of working.

Would be nice if someone who had both could confirm this, though.

So you'd probably need 2 GC controller adaptors; but then it'd probably get registered on the PC as just a controller and you wouldn't have keyboard input. No clue though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Where'd you get that USB to GCN adapter, then? Seems really niche. What would you use it for (besides PSO)?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StepDadJeff posted:

Speaking of controllers, here's a great clip showing the gamepad going through a lag test:

This is very, very awesome.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

For MH Tri, people without keyboards were so drat annoying.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

StepDadJeff posted:

It's not impossible that the controller is receiving video through the wire.
Digital Foundry actually found the controller at the expo got the signal 7 frames ahead of the TV, but they put that on some probable TV post processing delay.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Apparently the gamepad has less lag than the TV, makes sense considering most HDTVs have at least a little lag and there's no middle man or anything for the gamepad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StepDadJeff posted:

It's a great clip except it reminds me that Rayman Origins is all AI-Rayman bullshit aaaggghhhhhhh why did I pre-order it. Gotta switch to NSMBU instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

For MH Tri, people without keyboards were so drat annoying.

Even playing with the Keyboard was horrid; taking the time to type anything meant risking instant death. I remember we always used Skype when I played with Goons.

• Locked thread