Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wafflecop posted:

New Smoke DZA tape in about 3 hours hopefully- http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19075/smoke-dza-kony.html

Some good features and producers lined up. After Rugby Thompson I'm really looking forward to this. Then again I've got back into SweetBabyKushedGod since RT came out, like it a lot more now than when I downloaded it xmas day.

Uh wow, that's awesome. I think Rugby Thompson is one of the better hop hop releases so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

^Yea, Rugby Thompson is a really fun album. Stoked for the Ski Beatz tracks on this one.

Schoolboy Q posted:

Word to Dr. Dre, Detox is like a mix away
So go ahead and let the grown-ups work and go somewhere and play
That may be the funniest rap line I've heard all year.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 2, 2012

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

The Rooster posted:

If he had dropped whatever he had in 2004 it probably wouldve done alright and people wouldve liked it. Now unless it cures cancer and get's women pregnant just by listening to it, it will be a let down.

Yeah, Dre has pretty much procrastinated/delayed himself into a corner with Detox. There's literally no chance it lives up to the monumental hype it had several years ago. At this point, though, I don't think people even care really because they've been jerked around for so long. Everything that's come out from Detox has been, at best, totally generic (I Need a Doctor), and at worst, absolute garbage (Kush). Personally, I don't really have much confidence in Dre figuring things out again, given how busy he is with all his other business ventures and taking steroids and what not, so Detox is basically the equivalent of vaporware. Oh well.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I think it's the premier example of vaporware at this point, Duke Nukem and Chinese Democracy actually did come out

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I totally forgot about Under Pressure, which is better than the other two tracks I listed (mostly because of Jay-Z's verse) but it still real bad by Dre's standards

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 2, 2012

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Professor Funk posted:

and at worst, absolute garbage (Kush).

Are you crazy? Kush is the only Detox track to come out on par with anything from Chronic 2001 or his earlier work.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Are you crazy? Kush is the only Detox track to come out on par with anything from Chronic 2001 or his earlier work.

I'm actually listening to it for the first time in a while and it's a lot better than I remembered, so yeah I stand corrected. I wouldn't put it close to anything on 2001 though. I'm not sure why I remembered it being so brutal. I guess just revisionist history because gently caress Dr. Dre and his darn headphones

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 2, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The leaks from detox have been some of the shittiest music ever made, including the worst jay z verse ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SCGczb_BBc

"I should be duckin them clubs, tiger woods", ugh Im glad jay doesn't hashtag much

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Uh wow, that's awesome. I think Rugby Thompson is one of the better hop hop releases so far this year.

Goddamn it, pushed back for the second time today. Countdown's back to 2 and a half hours.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What did I just find

edit: Don't sample Kraftwerk please Dre

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

farmtrill posted:

not really no what has this got to do with what my thoughts on genre arguing. if u want to play me you have to dig a little deeper than not being into 2chainz

if you had to put death grips on a scale of rap to not rap they would actually be even lower than ratm. ouch.

Im curious to know what the standardized rap v not rap chart you're using.Also, who cares if its not rap? Does it matter?

Bambu just dropped a new record. I haven't heard all of it (just an album sampler dropped last week) but I'm going to pick it up when I get home.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/...one-rifle-per-family./id563057113

Montenegro
Mar 19, 2009

Montenegro fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 9, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Muck and Mire posted:

I think it's the premier example of vaporware at this point, Duke Nukem and Chinese Democracy actually did come out

Yep and they are good cautionary tales.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

aniero posted:

Im curious to know what the standardized rap v not rap chart you're using.Also, who cares if its not rap? Does it matter?

Bambu just dropped a new record. I haven't heard all of it (just an album sampler dropped last week) but I'm going to pick it up when I get home.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/...one-rifle-per-family./id563057113

Well since it's a rap thread, it does kinda matter.

Also I've never understood why they're rap either, but w/e.

And the Kendrick song is typically good, but I have no idea why Dre is even on there. It's not even his production, and he's never been a good rapper so idk.

Also I've been trying to get into the Roach Gigz album, there are some real good songs and dude raps his rear end off and seems to have some charisma, but it just doesn't seem to come together fully.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

farmtrill posted:

if you had to put death grips on a scale of rap to not rap they would actually be even lower than ratm. ouch.

I'm curious about how Death Grips isn't rap...

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

And the Kendrick song is typically good, but I have no idea why Dre is even on there. It's not even his production, and he's never been a good rapper so idk.

Are you actually wondering why Dr. Dre is on a song called Compton by a young rapper from Compton who is signed to his label?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DZA's mixtape dropped but minus the Harry Fraud track with Wiz and Curren$y :negative:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 3, 2012

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What do you guys think about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9-43RVKPA

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

slothmonster posted:

I'm sure this is pertinent to somebody here's interests. The dude Pistol going in on Russell Simmons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCx_6VIlUVM

Street money retires and gets wired straight to Israel lmao. I wonder if any actually known rappers are ever gonna start dissing the old rich cats though in a meaningful way.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Harminoff posted:

I'm all for weird/experimental stuff but seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo

That line about Rozay's beard was funny though

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That felt like a mix of all the different camps of weird LA rap from over the years all mixed down into one kinda boring track. Also the guy sounds like Beans.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Harminoff posted:

I like a little flow with my rambling of words

Culture Cipher
Sep 24, 2012

That was some nice-ass denim too. I miss them shorts... But you... You GOTTA take 'em off every now and then. You gotta take 'em off, son!

doctor thodt posted:

DZA's mixtape dropped but minus the Harry Fraud track with Wiz and Curren$y :negative:

I can see them releasing that song on that Live in Concert mixtape whenever that comes out.

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
Posted this in the "identify a song" megathread but I figure it might get more relevant views here:

Sealcub posted:

Does anybody know of any popular (probably released as a single) hip hop songs from the '90s that sample an insanely catchy harmonica hook? I was thinking it's got to be something by Dr. Dre, although some brief searching didn't yield any results so maybe it's someone in the same mold as him. The lyrics in the song are mostly gangster rap oriented and about the west/california I think. This is a pretty famous song and one I know I've heard at least a few times in my life, but, after some efforts to dig up a name I'm at a loss. The harmonica hook I would describe as sounding like a half pipe skater in the wild wild west. UP, down-down, UP UP, down-down, on repeat.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
pac's shed so many tears?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Killsion posted:

I'm curious about how Death Grips isn't rap...

linkin park are actually more hip hop than death grips, they even have scratching in their songs!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

You're right, its easier to pick out the rap elements of bland rap-rock groups.

Neonman
Aug 17, 2009
I always considered Death Grips nu nu metal.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has Dre done a decent track since Catalina? He didn't even produce those mediocre Detox singles.

pinkeye
Feb 13, 2004
I need antibiodics.

Sealcub posted:

Posted this in the "identify a song" megathread but I figure it might get more relevant views here:

Geto Boys' drat It Feels Good to be a Gangsta? Not a harmonica, but it fits the bill.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

farmtrill posted:

linkin park are actually more hip hop than death grips, they even have scratching in their songs!

You're just dodging the question. How exactly is Death Grips not hip-hop? Is it because the beats more strongly resemble something out of industrial or an IDM track? MC Ride yells a lot? I really just don't see how someone can say Death Grips isn't hip hop. At its core it is hip-hop with a number of other influences filling out the sound, but it is still hip-hop.

Does this also then mean Shabazz Palaces is not hip-hop either?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Does anyone have a link for the no dj version of midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik? I had to format my computer and all I could find was the dj skee one.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Wezlar posted:

Does anyone have a link for the no dj version of midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik? I had to format my computer and all I could find was the dj skee one.

The DJ Skee one isn't too bad. I don't remember there being any drops, just a short intro by Skee. I don't know that there's another version.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Killsion posted:

You're just dodging the question. How exactly is Death Grips not hip-hop? Is it because the beats more strongly resemble something out of industrial or an IDM track? MC Ride yells a lot? I really just don't see how someone can say Death Grips isn't hip hop. At its core it is hip-hop with a number of other influences filling out the sound, but it is still hip-hop.

Does this also then mean Shabazz Palaces is not hip-hop either?

Nothing is hip hop. And everything is hip hop.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Let me tell you about my favorite Flobots songs,

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

death grips is hip hop because burnett calls himself mc ride and hes black

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Prefuse posted:

death grips is hip hop because burnett calls himself mc ride and hes black

seriously get this poo poo out of this thread

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I just like Zach Hill who cares about what is what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
relax, his opinion is moot anyways; he don't like titty boy

• Locked thread