Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Spermando posted:

You can only pause if you play offline.

That sucks :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

How exactly would being able to pause in an online multiplayer game work? It would be terrible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Surlaw posted:

How exactly would being able to pause in an online multiplayer game work? It would be terrible.

The way I've seen it done best is that you can bring up your menu at any time, but the game only pauses when everyone has the pause menu up at once.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Surlaw posted:

In every single multiplayer game I've ever played, when one person pauses, the other gets a "Waiting for player to resume game..." message. I thought it was pretty standard :confused:

edit: to clarify, every multiplayer game that has only 2 people in the same session at once.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Surlaw posted:

In co-op with friends it'd be easy and useful! You just need buttons for "they paused, I'm going to pause too and go grab a drink" and "they paused again, screw this, forced unpause" for pubbie co-op.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

eightysixed posted:

In every single multiplayer game I've ever played, when one person pauses, the other gets a "Waiting for player to resume game..." message. I thought it was pretty standard :confused:

edit: to clarify, every multiplayer game that has only 2 people in the same session at once.

Many of the ones I've played don't allow it in order to prevent griefing. There's unfortunately no one-size-fits-all solution. No matter what a player is always at the mercy of another. I'm not particularly fond of RE5/6's method but I see the reasoning behind it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ImpAtom posted:

Many of the ones I've played don't allow it in order to prevent griefing. There's unfortunately no one-size-fits-all solution. No matter what a player is always at the mercy of another. I'm not particularly fond of RE5/6's method but I see the reasoning behind it.

This exactly. Almost none of the multi player games I've played allow pausing for precisely this reason. It's absolutely not a standard thing.

The real solution is just to design stages with an appropriate length for multiplayer.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 3, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yea, but if it's a private co-op lobby, odds are youre not going to be griefed by your friend.... :saddowns:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

eightysixed posted:

Dead Rising 2 had it and that was made by Capcom! ... Some USA dvision, but still!

And about all this RE6 talk: what was the general opinion back when RE5 came out? Did people hate it too?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Bought Tokyo Jungle while the discount is still valid, as I crave that game. I need it. Need it I tell you. Never seen a game download so slowly. Come on PSN servers, open the taps a little.

Despite having a backlog of ridiculous proportions, this game looks to be just exactly what I need right now. Not enough truly mental games come out these days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

I've never played a multiplayer game where you can pause, not in 15+ years of playing multiplayer games. Can you give me an example?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never played a multiplayer game where you can pause, not in 15+ years of playing multiplayer games. Can you give me an example?

Every sports game made. Ever.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Krad posted:

And about all this RE6 talk: what was the general opinion back when RE5 came out? Did people hate it too?
Decent reviews, lots of loud, angry rage from long time fans. Almost exactly the same as the reaction to RE6 but toned down, and most people who hated 5 at least gave it a chance before deciding.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

Every sports game made. Ever.
I guess I almost never play sports games, the category of video games I have the least experience with. They kind of exist in their own separate world.

edit: so in sports games, one player can easily grief the other by pausing the game and just walking away? Doesn't that cause a problem?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 3, 2012

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

Yea, but if it's a private co-op lobby, odds are youre not going to be griefed by your friend.... :saddowns:

Can't you just tell him/her "Ill be right back" via Skype, headset, phone, whatever? I mean there's gotta be some communication already, how do you decide when to quit?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dead Island. When one or more people enter a menu, a little symbol comes up for players who are still playing, though the game doesn't actually get paused (it also shows how many people are in a menu, ie 3/4). However, when everybody pauses, the game stops until someone resumes.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 3, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: so in sports games, one player can easily grief the other by pausing the game and just walking away? Doesn't that cause a problem?

Not really, because you're only allowed 4 pauses per game. And each pause can only last like 2 minutes or something (I'm not sure of the exact seconds), before the game auto-resumes.

Jjaarreett posted:

Can't you just tell him/her "Ill be right back" via Skype, headset, phone, whatever?

With regards to last night and RE6, every time we did that, we'd either come back to being dead due to missing one zombie, and him eating us while we were away, or the game quitting due to inactivity, both which set you back a ways. Not ideal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

Not really, because you're only allowed 4 pauses per game. And each pause can only last like 2 minutes or something (I'm not sure of the exact seconds), before the game auto-resumes.
Oh, you're talking about time-outs? That's kind of a different concept unique to sports games I think.

Dead Island's thing seems sensible though. Thinking of that reminds me that I wish a lot more multiplayer games indicated to other players when you are in a menu.

edit: are you guys saying that opinions about RE5 improved after it came out? I thought it was always regarded as being worse than RE4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Dead Rising 2 had it and that was made by Capcom! ... Some USA dvision, but still!

Dead Rising 2's multiplayer was like griefing hell when playing with pubbies. :smith:

RE5 was not well received when it came out. It got good reviews but you couldn't go five minutes without anyone talking about how it was terrible, often citing Dead Space as "RE5 done right." (And the Dead Space developers went on to trash talk RE5 in interviews.)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

Again, Dead Rising 2: OTR. It takes both players to the menu screen and you can't exit until the other one is ready.

Surlaw posted:

Decent reviews, lots of loud, angry rage from long time fans. Almost exactly the same as the reaction to RE6 but toned down, and most people who hated 5 at least gave it a chance before deciding.

Then it seems like RE is the new Final Fantasy. People love to complain about the newest FF until the next one is out, and all of a sudden, the previous one doesn't seem as bad as they thought it was.

edit:

ImpAtom posted:

Dead Rising 2's multiplayer was like griefing hell when playing with pubbies. :smith:

I got the best pubbie-buddy when I played it for the first time. Stuck together from begnning to the end. Wish I could find someone to play with now, I want to complete those multiplayer challenges but it's completely empty every time I try. :smith:

Krad fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 3, 2012

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

With regards to last night and RE6, every time we did that, we'd either come back to being dead due to missing one zombie, and him eating us while we were away, or the game quitting due to inactivity, both which set you back a ways. Not ideal.

Ah I didn't realize that the game auto quit if you were afk, that is lovely, depending on how long. I've only played the prologue and plan to play all offline co-op.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 3, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, you're talking about time-outs? That's kind of a different concept unique to sports games I think.

:ughh:

No. No, I'm not talking about timeouts. I'm talking about Pauses. As in, "Waiting for other player to resume game..."

I don't know whether to be offended or sympathetic :suicide:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 3, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

:ughh:

No. No, I'm not talking about timeouts. I'm talking about Pauses. As in, "Waiting other player to resume game..."
Well I mean, the fact that you get a limited number and they are a limited time means to me that they took the concept from time-outs in sports. Therefore, a thing unique to sports games. Anyway it's not something I have ever seen outside of that genre.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, the fact that you get a limited number and they are a limited time means to me that they took the concept from time-outs in sports. Therefore, a thing unique to sports games.

Or they were able to implement a system in which either player in a 2 player session could pause, without being able grief the opponent by abusing the system. If only other developers would adopt this "time out (aka: PAUSE :v:)" idea.

And again, in regards to Resident Evil 6. A private 2 player lobby should be able to Pause. It's private. Obviously you know the person you are playing with, likely both online and in real life. Your friend is not going to grief you with pause spam.

If it were more than 2 people in a session, sure no pausing. But a private, 2 player session on the other hand... v:shobon:v

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: are you guys saying that opinions about RE5 improved after it came out? I thought it was always regarded as being worse than RE4.

Oh yeah, I have never heard anybody say they liked 5 more. It makes sense really, 5 is just aping 4's general mechanics without any real sort of cohesive design, it feels all over the place and the forced co-op doesn't help. I haven't played 6 because the demo put a bad taste in my mouth, it's somehow even less appealing than 5. I'll probably pick it up on a Steam sale in the future.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

notZaar posted:

Oh yeah, I have never heard anybody say they liked 5 more. It makes sense really, 5 is just aping 4's general mechanics without any real sort of cohesive design, it feels all over the place and the forced co-op doesn't help. I haven't played 6 because the demo put a bad taste in my mouth, it's somehow even less appealing than 5. I'll probably pick it up on a Steam sale in the future.

I don't know if I like it more, but I sure like 5 as much as 4, and it's exactly because of the co-op. Those boss fights were fun as hell, and nothing beats fighting Wesker when both players have no idea what to do against him, and even after you do, it's still good. :downs:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

are you guys saying that opinions about RE5 improved after it came out? I thought it was always regarded as being worse than RE4.
I think that's still the general consensus but overall people are a lot less vocally hostile about RE5 now, even if lots of people still don't like it.

(I personally liked it, but not to the level of 4)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I see that Nights into Dreams is available on PSN now. I tried to use my debit card to get a few more dollars onto my account so I could buy it and reminisce with some sweet, sweet Sega Saturn sustenance. Unfortunately Sony always refuses to take my debit card, and I'm not sure when the next time I can get a PSN Card will come along. I get paid Friday, but I have so many other payments that need solved first. :smith:

I do hope that October sees some cool horror games for PS+, though. Resident Evil 5 would be an amazing addition to the instant game collection if we got it in the US. Other good candidates would be one of the various Silent Hill games, Infamous: Festival of Blood, Dead Rising 2 &/or OTR... If they could get the rights to give out any of this stuff, it would make a lot of people happy. Even as someone who already owns Festival of Blood, I plan to make a run-through of it again sometime soon.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Re: RE6.

I played it for pretty much six straight hours co-op last night and had a ton of fun. Once I got the hang of the controls it was a absolute blast. Played two chapters each of Jake/Sherry and Leon/Helena. Those Leon chapters were really long... Jake's took an hour each, while Leon's both took is about two hours. Though we did take our time and explore as much as we could, so...

Still, I can't help but laugh at all the bad review scores now since there are only a few minor complaints I've had which were largely my own fault for not being smarter about the game mechanics. Mainly involving dodging and ducking...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spermando posted:

You can only pause if you play offline. I've finished Leon's and Jake's campaigns. The former was great, but Jake's was just too abrasive. The one thing I really hate in the game is that some boss fights and setpieces are constantly interrupted to show you redundant cutscenes.

You know I was interested in RE6 until I read this.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Saints Row 2 and 3 have pause in the co-op mode.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Bought Tokyo Jungle while the discount is still valid, as I crave that game. I need it. Need it I tell you. Never seen a game download so slowly. Come on PSN servers, open the taps a little.

Despite having a backlog of ridiculous proportions, this game looks to be just exactly what I need right now. Not enough truly mental games come out these days.

This game is as mental as they come and everyone who is craving something a little bit different should get it.

Try to imagine, guys, if you will: "Life After People" as a video game. You are an animal in a Tokyo devoid of human life, turned into a jungle (the starting animal is a friggin' Pomeranian Dog!) and your goal is to eat, survive, mate and meet as many challenges as you can before you inevitably kick the bucket. It is a platformer, a Roguelike, and there's a surprising amount of depth to it.

In Japan, this thing was their top game for a month. It may be the new "Katamari Damacy," a game so friggin' weird and replayable you can't NOT like it.

Edit: VVVV This is also true.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 4, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

More importantly Tokyo Jungle is at it's heart fun to actually play so for all the weirdness and japaniness it's still a pretty fun action/beat em up game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
In other news, Far Cry 2 is just as difficult as I remembered it to be. I don't know what it is, but I just suck at this game.

All the game needed was to respawn you at the closest safe house upon death, and let you keep all the progress that had been made, rather than making you reload the last save. Then everything would have been fine. Spending long periods of time scouting stuff, finding diamonds, and fighting dudes, it's so much progress to lose between saves when you die.

I've already lost a buddy to permadeath, was assaulting the villa in the first buddy side objective and he came to my rescue, then charged at their guns needing to be rescued 4 times in a row. The 4th time he just wasn't getting up again.

I really like it, but drat it's tough. I'm normally pretty much okay at shooters, though not great. This one is brutal.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

In other news, Far Cry 2 is just as difficult as I remembered it to be. I don't know what it is, but I just suck at this game.

All the game needed was to respawn you at the closest safe house upon death, and let you keep all the progress that had been made, rather than making you reload the last save. Then everything would have been fine. Spending long periods of time scouting stuff, finding diamonds, and fighting dudes, it's so much progress to lose between saves when you die.

I've already lost a buddy to permadeath, was assaulting the villa in the first buddy side objective and he came to my rescue, then charged at their guns needing to be rescued 4 times in a row. The 4th time he just wasn't getting up again.

I really like it, but drat it's tough. I'm normally pretty much okay at shooters, though not great. This one is brutal.

The PC version lets you quicksave. A lot of the time, the game feels like it's balanced for that version.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to get the camo as soon as you can, and creep around everywhere. Don't get into straight up gunfights unless you don't have a choice. When you pop a guy, they'll know where you are, so move somewhere else. Generally you can cover your old position and get another guy while they're looking for you.

Also, buy molotovs and chuck them everywhere. The fire in that game is so awesome, and it's a good way to keep the enemies from moving somewhere you don't want them to be.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I have taken to using the flamethrower to start massive fires to cover my flanks. I'm not sure if I'm just remembering it differently, but the stealthing seems kind of broken. I creep up behind a dude and machete him for a hopefully silent kill and I still had loads of guys suddenly swarming me. Creeping around in the brush didn't make me as hard to spot as I hoped either.

I'll figure it out though. Burning more things should be a good start.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Interview about Killzone HD:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/10/04/killzone-hd-interview-enhancing-the-original/

It seems we'll be getting more than the standard 720p/60fps/16:9 upgrade. For example, the textures were originally created at twice the required size, then downscaled to fit the PS2's memory - Killzone HD uses the full-size textures. The shaders and LOD settings are better, there's a new, updated control scheme, etc.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Interview about Killzone HD:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/10/04/killzone-hd-interview-enhancing-the-original/

It seems we'll be getting more than the standard 720p/60fps/16:9 upgrade. For example, the textures were originally created at twice the required size, then downscaled to fit the PS2's memory - Killzone HD uses the full-size textures. The shaders and LOD settings are better, there's a new, updated control scheme, etc.

Even though Killzone isn't my bag, its nice to see a company put proper effort into a HD rerelease (Looking at you, Resident evil 4)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Spalec posted:

Even though Killzone isn't my bag, its nice to see a company put proper effort into a HD rerelease (Looking at you, Resident evil 4)

If we're going to rag on HD versions of games, then we have to talk about Silent Hill HD collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Morpheus posted:

If we're going to rag on HD versions of games, then we have to talk about Silent Hill HD collection.

Now now, be fair. They did fix it up after how many patches?

• Locked thread