Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh...duh (I think), I just thought of something. This is a US version of the game, but my main account is my Japanese account. I guess the stores don't match up and that's why it's acting this way? I've never done in-game purchases of anything else before so maybe none of them work.

edit: vvv I'm not in Japan now, but I got a PS3 while I was there and I still use it as my main account here. So far, there has been no harmful interaction between US games and the Japanese account. Once I actually asked Sony if it was possible to just transfer that account to the US region and they were like lol no.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was just about to ask if you were in Japan. I bet it's a regional thing.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hopped onto my first game in months and a had a few questions:

Are Biotic explosions weaker? I queued up for quick find Gold to get back in the swing but noone seemed to want to biotic combo with my Drell Adept even though we had an Adept, N7 though I have no idea what they do.

Also, did any old guns get super buffed/nerfed like the Falcon did a while ago?

Also, also which are the super useless classes that came out so I can be sure to leave the lobby if I see one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Are Biotic explosions weaker? I queued up for quick find Gold to get back in the swing but noone seemed to want to biotic combo with my Drell Adept even though we had an Adept, N7 though I have no idea what they do.

No, you were just grouped up with a goofus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh...duh (I think), I just thought of something. This is a US version of the game, but my main account is my Japanese account. I guess the stores don't match up and that's why it's acting this way? I've never done in-game purchases of anything else before so maybe none of them work.

edit: vvv I'm not in Japan now, but I got a PS3 while I was there and I still use it as my main account here. So far, there has been no harmful interaction between US games and the Japanese account. Once I actually asked Sony if it was possible to just transfer that account to the US region and they were like lol no.

From what I've read, there's no issue with having a Japanese PS3 and a different version of a game or vice versa, but DLC availability and the likes will almost always be inconsistent.

I suppose there are a couple PS3 games that are region locked but I don't hear about it very often.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It still amazes me how deadly turrets are, even after successfully dealing with them so many times. One is okay, but in the last match I played they set up two of them in just the right positions that they could fire into the most central location of the map from two directions, and there was basically no way to get around them. That's it, game over, everyone can go home.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

From what I've read, there's no issue with having a Japanese PS3 and a different version of a game or vice versa, but DLC availability and the likes will almost always be inconsistent.
Well, DLC isn't a problem usually because say, for a US game, I just go to the US store, download and install the DLC, switch back to my JP account, and start the game. But this is apparently DLC you can ONLY buy from inside the game (the first time I have seen such a thing), so I guess I can't access it, unless I want to start a whole new game save and everything on my US account.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 6, 2012

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
So the thought occurs - Phasic rounds? Weren't they those rounds from ME1 that damaged health through shields? Could this be the answer to snipers' shield gate woes?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Are Biotic explosions weaker?
Yes, but not by much. They're still pretty awesome. They also suffer in comparison to people leveling up all the guns to X. And, while there's very little class power creep, the newer guns are definitely better than the old ones, so Reegar/Pirahna X's will shred pretty much anything in close quarters, while Harriers, Indras, and actually high-level BWs provide a lot of good options at range. Explosions don't keep getting better as you play, but guns do, so you're seeing more and more viable gun-based characters.

I can't imagine playing an Asari Adept who just Warp/Throws forever now, some form of gunplay is pretty much required. (And since I'm boring and don't have a Talon, I make do with my Hurricane IV) And people are still idiots about comboing with other biotic users.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sup multiplayers. Just getting into it after neglecting multiplayer for singleplayer - I am reading my way through the thread but one question. What is the most efficient way to spend credits to unlock higher tier weapons and characters? Is going with all Spectre packs the most cost effective?

If anyone sees capita1ism in any public games, that's me.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
For any of you playing staggerguard off-host, I've had good luck going with a melee-heavy build and mixing up light melee DR with phase blasts.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

rio posted:

Sup multiplayers. Just getting into it after neglecting multiplayer for singleplayer - I am reading my way through the thread but one question. What is the most efficient way to spend credits to unlock higher tier weapons and characters? Is going with all Spectre packs the most cost effective?

If I were starting from scratch, here's how I'd go:

Veteran packs until you max your commons.
Spectre packs until you max your uncommons.
PSPs from then on mixed up with the occasional equipment pack.

This gives a good mix up between efficiency and novelty, in my opinion.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

rio posted:

First, spam recruit packs until you max out the starter weapons. They're not too bad (except the SMG) and you'll get it done fairly quick. This will keep them from popping up in other packs in the place of much more valuable things like level III consumables. Then, go with a mix of Veteran and Premium Spectre Packs. There's some good stuff in the silvers, and if you go with all PSPs you'll probably be sitting on jack poo poo for a good while as you keep playing several bronze/silver games for a couple of character cards you already have. Once you've got a good stock of weapons, hit the either the Veteran or PSPs hard to rank up your favorite guns, depending on what rarity they are.

Also, you are the buggiest map in the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elotana posted:

If I were starting from scratch, here's how I'd go:

Veteran packs until you max your commons.
Spectre packs until you max your uncommons.
PSPs from then on mixed up with the occasional equipment pack.

This gives a good mix up between efficiency and novelty, in my opinion.

I would suggest starting with a few recruit packs to get your guns to X. You earn cash quickly and they get you a decent stock of level 1 gear/character xp/mods.

I mean even 20 recruit packs is no big deal - same price as what, 5 veteran? and will get you some decent starter consumables and weapon upgrades.

But then follow this pattern, yes.

also I just did another bronze for the operation just in case - on Hydra. Two batarian soldiers are basically walking Cobra launchers. Just throw an inferno and ballistic blade a spawn, wait, it's all gone. The four of us were all clearly people who were specifically in bronze just for this op - competence plus high level characters makes it a laugh.

None of us ever went down. Hell my shields never popped. I remember when Bronze was difficult. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 6, 2012

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
AmateurSaboteur and myself (Chamusta) are on Line right now if anybody wants to do the squad goal. :3

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

The New Black posted:

So the thought occurs - Phasic rounds? Weren't they those rounds from ME1 that damaged health through shields? Could this be the answer to snipers' shield gate woes?

Yup. Phasic rounds damaged health right through shields, albeit at a reduced percentage. They might do that, or alternatively they might reduce shield gating even further. Either way I think it's a bid to make sniper rifles useful again, because they track usage statistics and in my own experience the Indra is the only sniper that seems to be seeing much use anymore. If the Widow or Javelin could do partial damage through shields, or ignore most of the shield gate, it would instantly make them extremely useful again.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Lettichbox is also playing, on xbox360.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man I just can't decide on the 2 kills for rage or more rage dr upgrades for the Kroguard.. On one hand that's a lot of hp/shields but 2 kills and more damage is great...

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

randombattle posted:

Man I just can't decide on the 2 kills for rage or more rage dr upgrades for the Kroguard.. On one hand that's a lot of hp/shields but 2 kills and more damage is great...

2 kills is fantastic with area damage on Charge - just put a couple of bullets into two low-level enemies and Charge them for instant rage

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

EvanSchenck posted:

Yup. Phasic rounds damaged health right through shields, albeit at a reduced percentage. They might do that, or alternatively they might reduce shield gating even further. Either way I think it's a bid to make sniper rifles useful again, because they track usage statistics and in my own experience the Indra is the only sniper that seems to be seeing much use anymore. If the Widow or Javelin could do partial damage through shields, or ignore most of the shield gate, it would instantly make them extremely useful again.

I actually use the Black Widow and the Javelin quite a lot, and would more if I didn't always run out of Sniper Amps. With the BW you can almost always kill a basic shielded enemy with 2 shots, and since the shield gate reduction you can kill say a Hunter or Phantom with a single Javelin headshot, even on Platinum. Then again I have both at X because apparently I have nothing better to do than play this game all the time.

Speaking of headshots, how have people been finding the Atlas weak point? I think I read somewhere that it was the exhaust thing on its back, but I only seemed to notice extra damage when shooting the canopy, which wasn't mentioned. Can anyone confirm what the weak spot is?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

randombattle posted:

I go DR because I love being the tankiest tank on the loving planet. 3 kills isn't tough anyway.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The New Black posted:

I actually use the Black Widow and the Javelin quite a lot, and would more if I didn't always run out of Sniper Amps. With the BW you can almost always kill a basic shielded enemy with 2 shots, and since the shield gate reduction you can kill say a Hunter or Phantom with a single Javelin headshot, even on Platinum. Then again I have both at X because apparently I have nothing better to do than play this game all the time.

Speaking of headshots, how have people been finding the Atlas weak point? I think I read somewhere that it was the exhaust thing on its back, but I only seemed to notice extra damage when shooting the canopy, which wasn't mentioned. Can anyone confirm what the weak spot is?

The Black Widow is pretty great now, but I still don't see the Javelin or sniper rifles in general as Platinum weapons.

The Atlas weak point is very situational and doesn't do as much as the headshots on other bosses. If everybody as a team attacks it from different angles then, yeah, some of you will get the bonus damage from the exhaust. Otherwise it's just easier to use the canopy bug.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So the exhaust port on the back really is weaker than the rest of it? I have often wondered but could never tell for sure.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Samurai Sanders posted:

So the exhaust port on the back really is weaker than the rest of it? I have often wondered but could never tell for sure.

It wasn't, until yesterday's patch.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I have great success with a BatSent using a Kishock on plat. Being able to one shot a Phantom is a great feeling, and submission net makes it impossible to miss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I thought I'd do my individual goal quickly and took my Fury, started a bronze Glacier Cerberus match alone, figuring it'd fill up in a few waves.
Well, it turned out I forgot to actually set the enemy and map, so I got London Reapers instead and no one else ever joined either. But hey it's still just bronze right? So of course I stuck with it solo and naturally got all the way through.
In 20 minutes 5 seconds. :v:

Next match I actually set to GlaCerb, it filled up by wave 3 and was cleared in a bit over 13 minutes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Felinoid posted:

It wasn't, until yesterday's patch.
Oh, okay.

Is anyone else using the Geth SMG? I like it for taking out shields relatively fast at long range, but I never see anyone else using it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really, really, really wish they would take the sync-kills out of this game. Getting grabbed by behind by a Banshee over and over is pretty much singlehandedly quashing what enjoyment I'm deriving from the patch fixing so many issues.

EDIT: Soloed Glacier/Cerberus/Bronze with my Slayer in 17:23. Feel a little better now. :toot:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 6, 2012

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Remember children, you can also shoot the crotch, shoulder, and legplates off of an Atlas for a little extra chunk of damage when each falls off.

For an extra challenge, try to take off all five before your teammates destroy it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VJeff posted:

I really, really, really wish they would take the sync-kills out of this game. Getting grabbed by behind by a Banshee over and over is pretty much singlehandedly quashing what enjoyment I'm deriving from the patch fixing so many issues.

EDIT: Soloed Glacier/Cerberus/Bronze with my Slayer in 17:23. Feel a little better now. :toot:

The problem with the sync-kills is that they just completely gently caress with melee classes. I know you guys have been going on about the Unstoppable Kroguard, but I swear I just got sync-killed like 7 times in one Cerberus match. Including the extraction wave, where I charged a Phantom, staggered her, then went to finish with a heavy melee... and the goddamn krogan just slips right past her and hits air before getting shanked.

Also, did the servers just drop out for anyone else?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BreakAtmo posted:

Yep.

And I don't mind the sync-kills, since they're the one really scary bit of the game left, but I could do without executions.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

I charged a Phantom, staggered her, then went to finish with a heavy melee... and the goddamn krogan just slips right past her and hits air before getting shanked.
Some heavy melees like the Adept punch and Paladin shield bash will hit anything in front of you. Krogan heavy melee is not one of these - you need a full lock on for it to connect. Take half a second after the Charge to line up your melee properly and you should be OK.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I unlocked the adept with the whippy arms, what weapon should I give him? I assume something light, but other than that...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

subroc posted:

Some heavy melees like the Adept punch and Paladin shield bash will hit anything in front of you. Krogan heavy melee is not one of these - you need a full lock on for it to connect. Take half a second after the Charge to line up your melee properly and you should be OK.

I could swear that I did line it up. Of course, the lag was moving me from side to side all game...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Haven't played In a month or two - more dlc will certainly get me playing again. Seems like everything I wanted!

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

I could swear that I did line it up. Of course, the lag was moving me from side to side all game...

Did you get the red lock-on brackets? Could have also been some Cerberus smoke drifting in and breaking your lock-on. That stuff sucks for Kroguards.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BreakAtmo posted:

Yep, on XBox though it is my understanding that it is all platforms. Fuckin' A, its the middle of the night and I was going to grind out some credits for the DLC.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

subroc posted:

Did you get the red lock-on brackets? Could have also been some Cerberus smoke drifting in and breaking your lock-on. That stuff sucks for Kroguards.

There wasn't any smoke, but I'm not sure about the brackets. Still, I wish the move actually had better auto-aim. If a Phantom can make me freeze and turn 180 degrees to be stabbed, it's only fair.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

subroc posted:

I don't think that's true I've hit enemies I wasn't locked onto because they walked into my fist before.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

randombattle posted:

I don't think that's true I've hit enemies I wasn't locked onto because they walked into my fist before.
Maybe they've changed something then. Back in the early days, I played Krogan almost exclusively and tried to perfect a sprint->heavy melee and could never get it to work. Not even after lining up an Atlas perfectly. But then again, I never play as host, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
After not playing because of my can't connect issues, I decided to play again today. Got in a good 10 successful extraction Platinum games with pubs. They were surprisingly not retarded. It took forever to finally get a lobby, though, so since we were all killing it we just stuck with the same group. We all changed classes, though a few times.

As for Atlases, can you still shoot off the knee/arm panels and do more damage that way, or is that gone now?

• Locked thread