Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

vacation in merica posted:

Your calves are small cause your not doing enough calf raises. If calf raises aren't helping then guess what you got small legs God hosed you.

Bro...wow...thanks for the stunning insight into building one's calf muscles. Mind=blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

Bro...wow...thanks for the stunning insight into building one's calf muscles. Mind=blown.

tbqh i dont ever do calves bc the size gain is not worth all the effort it takes :|

easiest way to get swole calves: get super fat and walk a lot

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

Veins McGee posted:

How do you think you grow calfs smart guy?

edit: also if your reverse anorexia is really that bad just get implants.

vacation in merica fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 6, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

tbqh i dont ever do calves bc the size gain is not worth all the effort it takes :|

easiest way to get swole calves: get super fat and walk a lot

I read on some body building blog you have to do sets of 50 or something ridiculous.

or do roids or synthol or whatever.

How do you think you grow calfs smart guy?

edit: also if your reverse anorexia is really that bad just get implants.

Its more of a joke than anything else. If I really had bigorexia, I probably wouldn't post about how small I am since I'd be embarrassed by it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I read on some body building blog you have to do sets of 50 or something ridiculous.

Yeah i mean just my own experience calves take way too much for what you get out of it. Not joking about the formerly fat people have awesome calves thing either its ridiculous

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

Veins McGee posted:

Yah that's exactly right. Your calves are going to react to tons of reps. If you're lifting for weight on your calves you will never notice any difference in them, the shape is largely defined by your genetics and the only way you'll get around that is giving them a good pump. If they aren't naturally big they're going to be nasty looking when you build them up

vains
May 26, 2004

Yeah i mean just my own experience calves take way too much for what you get out of it. Not joking about the formerly fat people have awesome calves thing either its ridiculous

arg. I'm going to be have worse calves than all the goons who used to be fat and then lost a whole lot of weight and started lifting? gently caress. Well, at least I wont have disgusting stretched out skin that costs thousands in plastic surgery to repair.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486615

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
AH gently caress DUDE WHAT THE HELL

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Not tryin to be a dick but why even care about calves? Seriously do girls find them hot im out of the loop *inhales cheeto*

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

Not tryin to be a dick but why even care about calves? Seriously do girls find them hot im out of the loop *inhales cheeto*

One of the hottest chicks I ever met was in love with calves. She gave mine a 7.9 and I only got an HJ. So yah calves are pretty important.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

One of the hottest chicks I ever met was in love with calves. She gave mine a 7.9 and I only got an HJ. So yah calves are pretty important.

Just reminds me of johnnny drama on entourage, i dunno sluts love sexy arms and stuff but calves seem unimportant

*loads animes*

vains
May 26, 2004

curls get gurls bro.

I don't know. I don't even like wearing shorts that much and I don't really know how important calves are for big lifts like deadlifting or squats.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

curls get gurls bro.

I don't know. I don't even like wearing shorts that much and I don't really know how important calves are for big lifts like deadlifting or squats.

for lifts? not important in the slightest. theyre the most glamour muscle there is tbh

vains
May 26, 2004

for lifts? not important in the slightest. theyre the most glamour muscle there is tbh

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head since then.

Oh well, I just wanted to bro out and talk about lifting weights so mission accomplished.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head since then.

Oh well, I just wanted to bro out and talk about lifting weights so mission accomplished.

haha oh deathy(love u bro)

but yeah calves don't matter man unless youre a bodybuilder or some poo poo

i mean if you enjoy it go for it but really youll do them for a long time and realize not much is happening, its true for most people

but srsly i hosed up my back i can barely walk im real mad

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Hey anyone know a good way to work up to a marathon? Gotta work all this fat I've put on over the past six months. Just been lifting and doing little to no running. I haven't run over 2 miles the whole time.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I cant imagine how bad the chafing is :(

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
I'm gonna be a stay-at-home-dad/student for like the next year, I gotta focus my energy on something or I'll just be even fatter.

Shasta Cola
Jun 16, 2003

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery just mowing us all down.
Not even sure if serious posting is allowed anymore, but while running in general made my calves look nice, running hills made my calves look fuckin' amazing. Then again I'm a tiny Asian boy, and not a master race Aryan USMC chester pulley.

vains
May 26, 2004

Shasta Cola posted:

Not even sure if serious posting is allowed anymore, but while running in general made my calves look nice, running hills made my calves look fuckin' amazing. Then again I'm a tiny Asian boy, and not a master race Aryan USMC chester pulley.

Running sucks. I'll just deal with not having gigantic calves. Alas.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Backwards sled pulls burn my calves up like a motherfucker. Idk if it makes them bigger because mine are beefy anyways from waking uphill both ways to school as a kid so ymmv.

Also I walked around on my toes(not like pointe but tip-toeing) a lot as a kid apparently(supposedly a sign of autism lmao) so maybe that is why I got calves like a samoan.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey anyone know a good way to work up to a marathon? Gotta work all this fat I've put on over the past six months. Just been lifting and doing little to no running. I haven't run over 2 miles the whole time.

http://halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide/

vains
May 26, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Backwards sled pulls burn my calves up like a motherfucker.

My gym is okay(like you can make noise and wont get in trouble) but they don't have an oly platform or a sled or anything.

mods rename me 'curl bro' thanks in advance

vains fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2012

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Hey bros how do I get JACKED UP forearms like popeye?

vains
May 26, 2004

Cole posted:

Hey bros how do I get JACKED UP forearms like popeye?

Jacking off works for me. I don't know how to do my offhand without compromising my sex life though.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head

I don't think that's accurate. My legs are disproportionally big to the rest of me!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Guys, I have an APFT this weekend and I'm estimating a 25% chance of passing the run.

I'm also too fat for the army. Can I get liposuction to make tape?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's unlikely they'll pay for it, but there are some DIY solutions scattered around the internet.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My test got moved from Saturday to Sunday and I just got a really painful hemorrhoid. Gonna be a fun drill of no drinking and rubbing prep h on my rear end in a top hat.

vains
May 26, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

My test got moved from Saturday to Sunday and I just got a really painful hemorrhoid. Gonna be a fun drill of no drinking and rubbing prep h on my rear end in a top hat.

Cool, well on that note...

Is there any reason why you shouldn't only do curls on the preacher pad or that thing that you wear to isolate your arms during standing curls?

If isolation is desired while training the bicep muscle(and it is afaik), then why do lifts that don't maximize isolation? Unless you can hold your entire upper body statuesquely still, you're cheating on any standing or sitting curls(or you're working out with pink weights). What is the specific value of sitting/standing curls that you don't get on the preacher pad/that arm isolater thing?

edit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424&pagenumber=149#post408436510

lmao

vains fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 12, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've got a "diagnostic" PT test on Sunday, too. I've been preparing for it by drinking heavily each night and running about 20 miles a week on top of my usual lifting.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
My platoon actually does a pretty good strength circuit. It's not too difficult strength wise, but you do get loving sick after a few rounds. We also have the second highest PT average in the brigade since it was added.

- 8 deadlifts @ 135#.
- 30 second planks then 2 other stations for 30 seconds each side.
- 50lb dumbbell carry
- 8 pull ups
- 8 db push press @ 20lbs each arm.
- 10m "karaoke" to flutter kicks
- 10 squat jumps with 20 lbs
- 35# db snatch both arms for 5 reps.
- 10 burpees
- 15 decline push ups
- 8 high pulls @ 50#
- 12 rowers
- 300m shuttle run
- 10 burpees
- 12 plyo push ups

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ashmole posted:

My platoon actually does a pretty good strength circuit. It's not too difficult strength wise, but you do get loving sick after a few rounds. We also have the second highest PT average in the brigade since it was added.

- 8 deadlifts @ 135#.
- 30 second planks then 2 other stations for 30 seconds each side.
- 50lb dumbbell carry
- 8 pull ups
- 8 db push press @ 20lbs each arm.
- 10m "karaoke" to flutter kicks
- 10 squat jumps with 20 lbs
- 35# db snatch both arms for 5 reps.
- 10 burpees
- 15 decline push ups
- 8 high pulls @ 50#
- 12 rowers
- 300m shuttle run
- 10 burpees
- 12 plyo push ups

There isn't enough running in this. You guys are cheating.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just did the gunstock half marathon trail run in Hawaii.

Elevation gain was 1,743 ft. I just started doing cardio 2weeks ago. 4 mile runs at a 9:30 to 10minute pace.

At the half marathon was one of the crossfit instructors who's a beast. Completes in the crossfit games and all that crap. I beat her by almost 25minutes.

Lesson of the story? I don't loving run EVER unless it's a PT test and still smoked someone who does CrossFit and HIIT and just lifts weights. So gently caress you crossfit.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
HER

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Crossfit it totally a good way to do cardio!

Said to me 15 minutes prior to 800M sprints where a majority of the crossfit team ended up throwing up after the third set.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Went to the Relax-Relax-Relax method for an easy 240.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Don't care! All I hear them do is preach paleo and how CrossFit will make you a better athlete, how it's the end all of all work outs, how it will make you good at everything you do and a better soldier and poo poo.

One of the dudes in my unit is all "I was 220 lbs and because of CrossFit/paleo I'm 300 on my PT test, 150, and have a 6pack and etc etc"

It's annoying and I hate the cult of CrossFit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

psydude posted:

Went to the Relax-Relax-Relax method for an easy 240.

YOU DID NOT GET A 300? YOU ARE A TERRIBLE SOLDIER.

The PL I replaced was actually convinced that your ability as a soldier directly correlates with your run time. I'm 100% serious.