Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I know I'm next in line at my librabry for Citizen Kane, but the rear end in a top hat who currently has it out is now 5 days overdue and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it. Could someone (preferably escape artist, since he recommended it) recommend something else?

Here's my list:

1. A Bridge too Far
2. The Town
3. The Towering Inferno
4. True Grit (1969)
5. The Godfather part 3
6. Leon: The Professional
7. Citizen Kane (ON HOLD)
8. Wall-E
9. The Departed
10. To Kill a Mockingbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Paths of Glory - 1. The battle scene was pretty bad, everyone just kept falling over for obviously no reason to the point that it was hilarious and took me out of the film. 2. a short old movie??? hallelujah

Okay, you're going to have to expand on this one. What did you think about the trial scene? What are your thoughts on the execution scene? There's a whole lot more to that movie than the war scenes.

Also, penismightier has pointed this out before, but not all old movies are 3-Hour Long epics. In fact most of them are shorter than modern films. 75 minute features would regularly be released back then.

Oh, and Copywright, you need to pick a movie for Not Al-Quaeda. If he doesn't pick anything, then watch 12 Angry Men.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 4, 2012

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

2. a short old movie??? hallelujah

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Lengthy old war movie. Eh.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Lengthy old german war movie. Eh.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

4 hours? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuu.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Just watched 400 blows. Wow, an old movie that's not 3 hours long?? Kind of liked the movie overall.

You don't seem to be a very patient person.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zogo posted:

I remember reading that at one point. On one hand it seems counter-intuitive. High Noon exemplified American individualism from what I recall. When I first watched it I had no idea about the allegorical undertones running through it. I also read that High Noon has been a favorite film of a few past US presidents.

OTOH, Rio Bravo's band of people who group together against another enemy could be construed as a more communistic dynamic than what was in High Noon's "army of one."

Wikipedia:

"In 1959, Wayne teamed up with director Howard Hawks to make Rio Bravo as a conservative response. Hawks explained, "I made Rio Bravo because I didn't like High Noon. Neither did Duke. I didn't think a good town marshal was going to run around town like a chicken with his head cut off asking everyone to help. And who saves him? His Quaker wife. That isn't my idea of a good Western."

Perplexing criticisms. Dean Martin's "Dude" is very incompetent and Wayne's character also needs help from others throughout the film.

Great art can be appreciated by people coming from completely different areas (or somewhat diametrically opposing ideologies).

I had the same reaction to On the Waterfront. I went in almost completely blind, and saw it as an almost Marxist morality play. The low class dock workers were being exploited by the mob, and had to organize to demand their labor rights and fight against their oppressors. When I read about it later, it turns out the director intended it as a response to criticism he got for cooperating with the HUAC. It really surprises me how films can be interpreted in such different ways. Part of it, I'm sure, is because I'm coming at it from a very different social perspective than the audience at the time.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

DetoxP posted:

You don't seem to be a very patient person.

Besides the fact that there's little point in participating in this thread if you don't post at least a few insightful sentences that justify your opinions about the films you've watched. Properly examine a film and everyone (including the reviewer himself) can learn a lot!

Desiato fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 5, 2012

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh, and Copywright, you need to pick a movie for Not Al-Quaeda. If he doesn't pick anything, then watch 12 Angry Men.

Sorry, I forgot to recommend! But the above choice is perfect, as it might be my favorite movie ever.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

10. To Kill a Mockingbird

I just watched this not too long ago and it's fantastic.

So, I just got back from the theater seeing Lawrence of Arabia. As soon as I heard about the 50th Anniversary screening I decided to wait until I could see it on screen and that was the easily the right decision. There were times where I felt I could have gotten up to go to the bathroom, but I knew that at any second I could miss some important plot development or something immensely beautiful and waited it out til Intermission.

The scope of the film is astounding. I love how in the first half, Lawrence is dwarfed by the desert, to the size of an ant. But later, he is framed mostly in close ups and two shots and he becomes a giant on the screen. No longer just a man. And while I feel it's length ultimately becomes trying, it takes a long time to get to that point. Part 1 is mesmerizing. It's so easy to be taken in by it's beauty, and shots that would stand out as amazing in most films become run of the mill in this one when compared to the number of absolutely beautiful, literally breathtaking moments. It's something that I'm sure I will appreciate even more as I sleep on it and think about it in the coming week or so. It's certainly something that will stick with me.

I also knocked two more off my list. First off, An American Werewolf In London which I liked very much. This was a few weeks ago but I thought it was funny when it wanted to be, and scary when it wanted to be. It's a fun film, and has probably one of the bleakest endings ever. The way it cuts from his dead body to upbeat doo-wop is so unsettling. There's something almost nihilistic about it.

And I finally, finally saw Buffalo '66 which was largely disappointing. I already wrote about it in the Rate the Last Movie You've Seen thread, but I'll say it again. Gallo feels like a poor man's Jim Jarmusch. The plot is stale, the characters are excruciating, and Gallo's public persona as a self-centered jerk is quite abundant here. Nice cinematography though.

My List:

Cul-De-Sac - I can never not be reminded that he's a rapist, but dammit, Polanski knows how to make a film. This one sounds pretty good. (Before May 2012)

Marat/Sade - I've never heard of this until just recently, but it sounds really good and Criticker thinks I'll like it. (Added 5/3/2012)

Rio Bravo - John Wayne's not my favorite but I've heard only good things so I'll give it a shot. (Added 7/7/2012)

The Birth Of A Nation - This is going to piss me off, isn't it? (Added 7/23/2012)

A Woman Under The Influence - Is this a good place to start with Cassavetes? I've never seen any of his films. (Added 7/23/2012)

His Girl Friday - Is Cary Grant going to Cary Grant it up in this? (Added 8/7/2012)

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - Jarmusch directs a film about a Taoist hitman. I'm on board. (Added 8/21/2012)

Manhattan - I've slowly been getting into Woody Allen, but there's still a huge chunk of classics he's made that I haven't seen. (Added 10/5/2012)

Braveheart - I got yelled at the other day for never having seen this. My pre-judgments are that it's a bloated Oscar Bait epic made by an anti-semite/racist/misogynist. On the other hand - FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!! (Added 10/5/2012)

Jules et Jim - Started to watch this about a year ago but I was really tired so I took a nap instead. Never got back to it. (Added 10/5/2012)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Watch Manhattan, because it's one of several one your list that I am going to have on mine soon. Also, I'm really pissed about Lawrence of Arabia, because my city had one showing of it, in one theater, and that was it.

Just watched: Notorious
I thought the portrayal of Puff Daddy could have been more realistic..

No, seriously, the 1946 version:
Well, I was very very happy with this film. It's quasi-early Hitchcock, before he became a household name, and it felt like witnessing a genius burgeoning right in front of you. I'm not a big fan of Vertigo or Rear Window-- I think they're good but overrated, but I love NBNW and Psycho. Some of the cinematography reminded me of Vertigo, and the storyline and situations (not to mention Cary Grant) reminded me of NBNW. This is definitely a must-see, and it really makes me appreciate Hitchcock more. Very tense throughout, a good story, intrigue, suspenseful. It's everything you could ask for.

My new list has 3 new movies: one to replace Bladerunner which is on hold for me at the library and will be watched and reviewed as soon as possible , one to replace a movie that my stupid rear end didn't realize was the third movie in a trilogy and one to replace the film I just watched, of course.

My newest list:
List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

Casablanca Goes without saying why this one needs to be seen.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

The Elephant Man One of the few by Lynch I haven't seen

Enigma of Kasper Hause More Herzog.

Knife In The Water More Polankski. You may also choose Repulsion instead of this one.

La Grande Illusion I don't even know who Renoir is. Time to change that.

Touch of Evil Orson Welle's second greatest.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

***BLADE RUNNER IS ON HOLD AT THE LIBRARY AND I WILL WATCH AND REVIEW IT ASAP***

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, North By Northwest, Notorious, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (24 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 5, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Casablanca Goes without saying why this one needs to be seen.

Yup yup yup

Steamboat Bill, Jr is a very old and short film! Yay!

But despite it's modest runtime of 70 minutes, this probably would've worked better as a short. There's a lot of faff until it gets to the really good stuff, with just a couple of funny gags in the middle. But when it gets good, it's crazy mind-blowing good. The storm section which makes up for the last 15 minutes of the film, is very impressive, even for Buster Keaton. Trees and cars flying around, houses falling to what seems inches away from our hero(with one of them actually falling on top of him), mayhem and destruction all around and the guy doesn't ever seem to break a sweat or flinch. It's amazing, and it makes up in spades for the rest of the film.

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Haven't watched a Powell&Pressburger feature in awhile.

To be or Not to Be Ernst Lubitsch comedy about them nazis.

Tokyo Drifter This looks interesting I guess

How Green Was My Valley Very green

Have watched so far 31 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

a short old movie??? hallelujah

You don't actually like films, do you?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Professor Clumsy posted:

I shudder to think what he feels about books.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Electronico6 posted:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

I'm a Star Trek hater and I am doing this for my own purpose: to stop seeing Star Trek movies stick out on your list like sore thumbs. ;)

Just watched: Casablanca
Well, it's tough to say anything that hasn't already been said, and what I say will certainly be a gross understatement. This is one of the greatest films of all time. The characters, the dialogue, the plot and even the music, all combine to form this harmonious synergy of spectacular cinema. I avoided this one for a while because I'm not one for romances, but it's much more than a romance, and even still, it is one of the best love stories ever. I was reminded of a Tale of Two Cities when Sydney Carton sacrifices himself so the woman he loves can be happy with another man.

I think I was more invested in this love story than I have been in any romantic relationship in my own life. This film was close to perfect as you can get. This is a film I will be watching over and over again. Something else that really stuck out to me was when this movie was released: 1942, right in the middle of WWII. The outcome of the war was uncertain, and it paralleled the uncertainty about the fate of the characters. This movie is nothing short of magical. "Here's looking at you, kid" may be the most known quote, but there were so many that were clever and left a big smirk on my face. You need to see this movie if you have not.

My newest list:
List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

Knife In The Water More Polankski. You may also choose Repulsion instead of this one.

Memento Never saw it. Heard nothing but good things. Want to see a Nolan film not based on a comic book.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

***BLADE RUNNER IS ON HOLD AT THE LIBRARY AND I WILL WATCH AND REVIEW IT ASAP***

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, North By Northwest, Notorious, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (25 films)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

Go with this one.

To Kill a Mockingbird: I'm familiar enough with the story that I knew I wouldn't gain anything from this thematically when I went in. That said, this a beautifully directed movie, and is not a waste of time by any means. Robert Mulligan does an excellent job capturing the essence of childhood throughout the film. The acting was spectacular as well. I found myself remembering certain scenes from seeing this in high school throughout, in particular Mayella's testimony during the trial. Gregory Peck of course steals the show in this. His Oscar was well deserved, and it's awlays nice to see a film where the protagonist is the best character to watch.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

8. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

9. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

10. Blade Runner: I feel I'm missing an important movie by not having seen this.

ON HOLD: Citizen Kane

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

10. Blade Runner: I feel I'm missing an important movie by not having seen this.

Your feelings are correct. Watch director's cut or final cut. Theatrical cut = :derp:

Papillon - Based on a true story. This movie is pretty bleak even with the realization that Papillon eventually escapes. It's by no means "The Great Escape II."

Papillon (McQueen) and Dega (Hoffman) make a disparate and odd couple. These guys wouldn't get along in a more typical society but they need to help each other in their circumstances.

I've read a little about penal colonies and "the gulag" and this captures some of the misery, torture, and desperate existences that people who end up there go through. One scene that sticks out among many crazy ones is when Dega and Papillon must grab a crocodile that's still alive.

There are a handful of interesting hallucination scenes that Papillon has while being punished in solitary confinement. Solitary confinement seems too nice of a term to use however.

When Papillon, Dega and Maturette finally escape things became a little more unclear and unpredictable. They run into a guy with a spider/scorpion tattoo on his forehead and it's unclear who this guy is or why he's helping them. Also, the lepers are very altruistic and help them when they don't appear to have a clear motive. The leprosy cigar scene stuck out as being gross.

Eventually Papillon gets separated from his two friends. He alone reaches the Honduran topless beach paradise for a short stay. The chief then insists on a butterfly tattoo. But then everyone confusingly disappears and he ends up being backstabbed by the local mother superior and sent straight back to the colony! One of the strongest killjoys I've seen in a film.

The last twenty minutes or so are almost too much. It's almost like watching an SNL skit lampooning the film. Papillon: "I'm gonna escape the island by riding a burlap sack to freedom!" At this point Dega and Papillon appear to be near to complete insanity.

IMDb list:

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#238 Castle in the Sky - This will be my sixth Miyazaki film. He is one of the most popular directors on IMDb. 10/3/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

#21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

new #22 Goodbye, Dragon Inn - Another I've put off for some reason. 10/6/12

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

It's October, so let's see if this one still terrifies you.

Just watched: Touch of Evil
The story takes a little while to really get rolling, but that glorious opening shot of over 3 minutes with no cuts, will mesmerize you instantly. Orson Welles has an uncanny ability to play megalomaniacs. Charlton Heston, reminiscent of Mitt Romney speaking on Latino television, with that horrible spray-tan, put on a great performance. I had a few problems with the film, plot-wise it felt like they left Mrs. Vargas illogically vulnerable, for contrived tension. Looking past that, however, you still have an amazing noir with twists and turns and double crosses and the final 20 or 30 minutes is packed with non-stop tension. Once all the doubts about Hank's morality have been eliminated, the movie really finds itself, puts the pedal to the floor, and does not ease off of it.

List:

The Man Who Wasn't There Coen's try their hand at neo-noir with a great cast. Surprised I haven't heard of it before. Warning: I'm not a Coen fan. I honestly don't like Fargo or No Country.

Memento Never saw it. Heard nothing but good things. Want to see a Nolan film not based on a comic book.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, North By Northwest, Notorious, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Touch of Evil, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (26 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 7, 2012

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Professor Clumsy posted:

I really find it with a lot of people that I just don't think they like films. A lot of my friends and family generally think of themselves as interested in film, but pretty much refuse to watch anything older than 2010 unless it's for ironic or nostalgic reasons. They're much more fond of TV drama series than films, and I'm starting to figure that probably it's because not everyone has the attention span to have a decent interest in films anymore. They also tend to see me as a nutcase for ever going to the cinema alone - they would never ever do it, while I find it comfortable.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

csidle posted:

I really find it with a lot of people that I just don't think they like films. A lot of my friends and family generally think of themselves as interested in film, but pretty much refuse to watch anything older than 2010 unless it's for ironic or nostalgic reasons. They're much more fond of TV drama series than films, and I'm starting to figure that probably it's because not everyone has the attention span to have a decent interest in films anymore. They also tend to see me as a nutcase for ever going to the cinema alone - they would never ever do it, while I find it comfortable.

I've realized this too about a lot of people. I remember asking a girl what movies she liked and the first one she said, after stumbling for a long time, was Hannibal. Really-- Hannibal? Not Silence of the Lambs, but the sequel that wasn't nearly as good?

And I don't understand how people can plow through seasons of shows but don't have the attention span for movies. I haven't seen Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, among others, because I don't have the attention span for marathoning 6 hours to finally get some plot development.

There are also people who pretend to like movies for superficial reasons, and the one that comes to mind most often is Clockwork Orange. "Oh, it's so edgy, and since I like it, I'm edgy too!"

I personally can't bear to watch most movies that have come out in my lifetime (I'm 25), because visual techniques have taken over story and character as the main draw for films.

I also enjoy going to the theater alone.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

I haven't seen Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, among others, because I don't have the attention span for marathoning 6 hours to finally get some plot development.

I also enjoy going to the theater alone.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you regarding tv - if not for sports, AMC and TCM I wouldn't even bother having cable. By the time I'm done work, going to the gym, having dinner and running any errands I might have, I usually only have about 3 to 4 hours of free time before I go to sleep. I'd much rather use that time watch a movie than I would watching a tv show. That said, you really should watch Breaking Bad. It's a tv show that makes the most of it's medium. It's rare to see an episode that doesn't develop the plot in a significant matter. I find it to be the exact opposite of The Walking Dead. Each season of The Walking Dead could easily be edited down to a 2 hour movie, and you wouldn't lose anything regarding the plot. Breaking Bad really can't be edited down. It's such a well-layered show.

I also go to the theatre alone occasionally, but only for matinees. It just seems weird to go to an evening show alone.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm not sure why, but for some reason it's a lot easier for me - and I assume a lot of people - to sit down and watch The Sopranos or Mad Men for 3 hours than it is to sit down and watch any 3 hour film. Since the episodes come in short installments of 45 minutes, it doesn't feel like I'm making any significant commitment. I can just judge as I go along if I feel like watching any more. It's probably part of the reason why TV is so popular.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I used to be like that, but I'm jaded about TV now, because of the Wire and the Sopranos (and SFU, Deadwood, Carnivale). I've tried to get through the pilot of Breaking Bad several times, but it just doesn't do it for me. And I gave Mad Men a few episodes and it was like watching paint dry. I will watch Breaking Bad eventually, though, because I love Bob Odenkirk.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's the opposite for me. A movie I can be completely finished with in a maximum of about three hours. A TV series just stretches on and on and on. In the time it would take me to get through Generation Kill or The Pacific I could watch a bunch of movies!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

I personally can't bear to watch most movies that have come out in my lifetime (I'm 25), because visual techniques have taken over story and character as the main draw for films.

This is wrong. You get Amélie.

There's an amazing moment towards the end of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, before the big explosive climax, that is almost uncharacteristic to the character involved, then couple of scenes later he sort of laments that by growing old he has become inflexible and obsolete. By the time the film comes to an end, you get this feeling that you watched not only these characters grow and change, but also the very concept of which they were based. What was once a vision of the perfect future of mankind, a civilization that has moved beyond the materialistic needs and prejudices, is now presented has flawed and more often than not, failing to recognize their deepest flaws. They haven't become inflexible nor obsolete, but like the other says, human. All with their little flaws and not has perfect or clear cut one might be led to believe.
It's quite compelling and a testament to good filmmaking, that in the middle of having your (devilish fun) villain quoting endlessly Hamlet and the most in-your-face Cold War allegory possible, there's plenty of room and time dedicated to properly send-off the characters(and actors) and make a rather emotional coda to the original Star Trek Tv show and films. Got misty eye at the end.

Great stuff, and just as good as the other Nicholas Meyer entry in the series, Wrath of Khan. Shame he wasn't around to direct the films in between.(Though he did write one) Not sure if I can be bothered to watch the TNG film series, they all look so loving bad.

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Haven't watched a Powell&Pressburger feature in awhile.

To be or Not to Be Ernst Lubitsch comedy about them nazis.

Tokyo Drifter This looks interesting I guess

How Green Was My Valley Very green.

Le Cercle rouge French gangsters are cool.

Have watched so far 32 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Electronico, I'm putting a Trier movie on my list, so you can take one off. Dancer in the Dark.

Goldfinger was a silly, silly movie. However, it never bored me and I had fun with it. I'm sure ninety percent of the stunts would not work in real life (especially explosive decompression on a plane)- I've seen a lot of this movie on Mythbusters. But the pace of the movie was such that I didn't get caught up nitpicking and was able to just enjoy it. Note to apologists: This is how you do suspension of disbelief. You don't demand people turn their brains off- you keep them so occupied that they're too involved to notice the plot holes. The villain's plan was ridiculous and would never work, plus it was a total rip-off of Die Hard 3, but I didn't care. And even when the movie slowed down, there was something to keep me interested. I enjoyed the mind games between Goldfinger and Bond, such as on the golf course. My only real beef with the movie was the casual sexism, especially with regards to Pussy Galore *snicker*. I get that it's a product of its time, but the fact is Bond all but rapes Pussy, and that somehow manages to convince her to switch sides. Well, Bond is the man with the golden cock.

Rating: 3/4

On a completely different note, while I was waiting to get this one I watched Bonnie and Clyde. This is seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen. I was comparing it to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but while I liked BC&SK, this was far better. There's a dark heart to this movie that's irresistible. The gang are vicious murderers, but at the same time they have their moral code. The movie didn't try to excuse them like many heist movies do, but it made us understand how they could be so desperate that they would do what they did. I love the class warfare sensibility throughout it- it was rooted in the Depression but no doubt felt very real in the sixties and, for that matter, today. At the same time, there's some black comedy bubbling underneath the whole time, mostly dealing with how their gang becomes a strange surrogate family, with annoying in-laws and freeloading live-ins. The best sequence, though, was a five minute interlude in the middle with Gene Wilder. I laughed my rear end off from the moment he walked on screen until the moment he left. I liked him in the Mel Brooks movies, but the fact that he can turn such a small role into comic gold just proves what a gifted comic actor he was.

Rating: 4/4

61. A Streetcar Named Desire- The other big Marlon Brando. I have to remember that, unlike the Simpsons's version, this is not a musical.

66. Dr. Zhivago- For the historical epic slot, we move from sand to snow. Also, more WWI, this time from the Russian perspective, which I like even more.

70. Leon: The Professional- I really have no idea what this is, but apparently Gary Oldman is the villain. Sold.

ON HOLD: 72. The Rapture- 1991 movie about the dark side of an already pretty dark heresy. This sounds right up my aisle.

73. Safety Last- Silent comedy by a guy who's not Chaplin- Lloyd? Keaton? Pretty sure it's one of them.

74. Something by Fellini- Never seen a Fellini film. People on this thread argue about what order to watch them in, so whoever posts below me gets to pick.

75. Tokyo Story- What is this? I have no idea what this is, but I keep seeing it on best of lists.

77. Leaving Las Vegas- Like I said, I've always liked Nick Cage, so let's see his Oscar performance.

78. Dog Day Afternoon- Transsexuals and bank robbers, not necessarily at the same time.

79. Dogville- Never seen a Lars von Trier film. I think I heard this described as very dark and minimalist.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I get that it's a product of its time, but the fact is Bond all but rapes Pussy, and that somehow manages to convince her to switch sides. Well, Bond is the man with the golden cock.

To make matters worse, in the book she's a lesbian who is 'cured' by Bond. They play that down a little in the film but it's still kind of there.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's the opposite for me. A movie I can be completely finished with in a maximum of about three hours. A TV series just stretches on and on and on. In the time it would take me to get through Generation Kill or The Pacific I could watch a bunch of movies!

Like film, most TV is fairly poorly written and directed, fairly schlocky affairs with little or no artistic merit and unworthy of attention. More and more often though there have been series released that have taken full advantage of televisions long running serialized format to create experiences that are impossible to find within film but equally worthy of attention. The programs created by David Simon in particular (The Wire, Treme and Generation Kill among them) are a far more mature examination and dialogue concerning modern society than any film released in the years they ran, they reach a greater all encompassing depth of metaphor and characterization that would be impossible to cover with any 2 hour running time. Anyone is doing themselves a serious disservice by ignoring all of television because of the time commitment involved, just like writing off Seven Samurai as "old, too long and B&W" it's pretty much SHAMEFUL.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I got a friend to start playing a variation of this game with me, so he would start watching some great films. He chooses 5 films that I've never seen, and I choose 5 for him, and we each pick one of the 5 provided and watch it, review it, replace it, and so on. Got him to watch Aguirre last night. :v:

(The only stipulation is that he's not allowed to pick Judd Appatow, Seth Rogen or comic book movies for me.)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Jurgan posted:

61. A Streetcar Named Desire- The other big Marlon Brando. I have to remember that, unlike the Simpsons's version, this is not a musical.

Don't let that stop you! You can still always depend on the kindness of strangers. In a college English composition class, we read the play and watched the movie adaptation... the 1995 made-for-TV version with Alec Baldwin as Stanley. I have no idea why she chose that version, maybe it's closer to the play or something. I've still never seen the original film. I'm not crazy about the play, but I know this film is culturally significant so I look forward to seeing your review.

So it's been ages and ages since I posted in the thread and I've seen a lot of movies from my larger list, but I've decided I've started stagnating again so I'm back. Honestly I've been watching more movies in the past half year or so and I think it's largely because of this thread.

The last movie I saw from this thread was Citizen Kane and it was incredible. It's been too long since I've seen it to give it a fair review here, but hopefully it suffices to say that I enjoyed it a lot. I also had to replace Casablanca on my list because we watched it a couple weeks ago. I'm keeping Casablanca off my shameless list to stay in the spirit of the thread.

1.) The Color Purple. Keeping Spielberg on the list.

2.) New! Rocky I've seen Rocky IV and Rocky V (blech) all the way through, but no other Rocky movie.

3.) Full Metal Jacket. My next Kubrick film. I've seen Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining so I figure Full Metal Jacket is good to be next. I know it's a war movie, I'm 90% sure that it's about Vietnam. I often get this movie confused with Apocalypse Now.

4.) New! Gone With the Wind. For some reason I had equated this movie to Casablanca, but the wife and I watched that a couple weeks ago. For some reason I thought the dude with the big ears was in Casablanca. He is not.

5.) North by Northwest. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through and I've always wanted to. I don't know the plot of this movie but I'm pretty sure it involves Mount Rushmore at some point.

6.) The Incredibles. This is the only non-Cars Pixar movie I've never seen. When it was new I was in a phase where I thought family movies were stupid. Pixar proved me wrong a few years later but I have yet to remedy this.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sixth Sense. I know the plot, I know the twist, I know all that stuff. I've never seen a lick of this movie or any other M. Night movie. I hear this is his best one, so I'd like to see it. I'm just not big on horror movies.

9.) To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book in middle school, and we might have even watched the movie but I don't remember it so I'm putting it on the list. I'm familiar with the story, and AFI lists this as their #1 courtroom drama.

10.) Magnolia. The only PTA movie I've seen is Punch Drunk Love, and that was a long time ago. This movie comes highly recommended.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai(4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5), Reservoir Dogs(5/5), Yojimbo(3.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia(5/5), A Clockwork Orange(4/5), Raging Bull(5/5), Schindler's List(4.5/5), Citizen Kane(5/5)

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 8, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Seaniqua posted:

I thought you were making a bizarre joke when you referred to this as a Spielberg movie, then I looked it up. Wow. That surprised me.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Seaniqua, go with The Incredibles.

Blade Runner was a real treat. I was instantly sucked in by the opening shots of a dystopian Los Angeles. Ridley Scott does a really great job of creating amazing worlds in his films. The movie of course featured a lot of action, but I felt this came off as a noir, as Harrison Ford was somewhat morally ambiguous, and the cinematography was reminiscent of the noir genre. This is a movie I imagine I'll probably watch over and over again.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

8. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

9. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

10. The Third Man: More noir

ON HOLD: Citizen Kane

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Go watch The Departed. I just watched it, and the only thing similar to Taken is that there's guns and cell phone usage.

I watched 2 movies because someone that outranks me said I need to watch the Departed or else he'd be disappointed in me.

With that, Dog Day Afternoon is a fine movie and really goes to show how Pacino was such an amazing actor before he started making dumb movies. Good story. It did a great job of making me feel bad for the perpetrators, and it did a great job of making everyone feel very human with human reactions to whats put in front of them. Good watch.

Also there's The Departed. High class piece of film right here, and certainly a movie that is up there with Goodfellas and Taxi Driver as a groundbreaking movie for its era. Everyone does great in this, DiCaprio is amazing, Damon is outstanding, and Nicholson just plays himself, but he is a pretty fun character.

New List:

1. E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial - Really nothing I can say to justify this.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. The Artist - Most recent best picture I haven't seen.

5. Oldboy - Everyone always says great things about Oldboy. I might as well actually watch it.

6. The Graduate - Don't know much other than the premise of schoolboy and teacher get it on.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I guess I've never seen a Chaplin movie where he doesn't talk.

9. My Neighbor Totoro - Haven't thrown an animated movie up here in a while. Some people told me this was better than Spirited Away, while I know that it's only opinion, if someone thinks that highly of it, I might as well give it a look.

10. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

Watched Count 83: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

marioinblack posted:

6. The Graduate - Don't know much other than the premise of schoolboy and teacher get it on.

Go for it. Hope you like Simon and Garfunkel.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Seaniqua, go with The Incredibles.

The Incredibles was a lot of fun. I didn't realize until after the fact that this was directed by the same guy that directed The Iron Giant. I had never really thought about an animated movie being directed the way a live action movie is directed. I'm certain it's not the same but I appreciated the amount of care that was put into the actual movie-making aspect of this movie. I think that's one of the things I appreciate about Pixar so much.

2.) Rocky I've seen Rocky IV and Rocky V (blech) all the way through, but no other Rocky movie.

3.) Full Metal Jacket. My next Kubrick film. I've seen Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining so I figure Full Metal Jacket is good to be next. I know it's a war movie, I'm 90% sure that it's about Vietnam. I often get this movie confused with Apocalypse Now.

4.) Gone With the Wind. For some reason I had equated this movie to Casablanca, but the wife and I watched that a couple weeks ago. For some reason I thought the dude with the big ears was in Casablanca. He is not.

5.) North by Northwest. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through and I've always wanted to. I don't know the plot of this movie but I'm pretty sure it involves Mount Rushmore at some point.

6.) New! Monsters Inc. I don't know why I thought The Incredibles was the only non-Cars Pixar movie I hadn't seen. I also haven't seen Brave yet.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sixth Sense. I know the plot, I know the twist, I know all that stuff. I've never seen a lick of this movie or any other M. Night movie. I hear this is his best one, so I'd like to see it. I'm just not big on horror movies.

9.) To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book in middle school, and we might have even watched the movie but I don't remember it so I'm putting it on the list. I'm familiar with the story, and AFI lists this as their #1 courtroom drama.

10.) Magnolia. The only PTA movie I've seen is Punch Drunk Love, and that was a long time ago. This movie comes highly recommended.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai(4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5), Reservoir Dogs(5/5), Yojimbo(3.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia(5/5), A Clockwork Orange(4/5), Raging Bull(5/5), Schindler's List(4.5/5), Citizen Kane(5/5), The Incredibles(4/5)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

Been on your list a while.

Legend - Ridley Scott followed Alien and Blade Runner with this film. At times it's just as visually impressive as those two. Lili has an interesting scene with a dancing dress. The story and pace became a little slow at times (might be partially because I watched the director's cut).

It has a rating of 6.2 on IMDb and that seems a little low.

IMDb list:

new Thor - I'm supposed to watch this before The Avengers. 10/11/12

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#238 Castle in the Sky - This will be my sixth Miyazaki film. He is one of the most popular directors on IMDb. 10/3/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

#22 Goodbye, Dragon Inn - Another I've put off for some reason. 10/6/12

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

I have never heard of this film but it's tied for being on your list for the longest time and I doubt it's going to get picked any other time soon.

Just finished Manhattan and it's a charming film, and what I've come to expect from Woody Allen at his prime. He plays his typical neurotic character (which I have to assume is just an extension of himself, since there's pretty much no difference between Isaac and Alvy in Annie Hall). The dialogue is smart and witty, and it's probably for the best that I'm only getting around to seeing his films now because if I had seen them in high school I wouldn't understand a single reference. The black and white photography is also quite beautiful. I enjoyed it and I see myself probably growing to like it more in the coming days.

My List:

Cul-De-Sac - I can never not be reminded that he's a rapist, but dammit, Polanski knows how to make a film. This one sounds pretty good. (Before May 2012)

Marat/Sade - I've never heard of this until just recently, but it sounds really good and Criticker thinks I'll like it. (Added 5/3/2012)

Rio Bravo - John Wayne's not my favorite but I've heard only good things so I'll give it a shot. (Added 7/7/2012)

The Birth Of A Nation - This is going to piss me off, isn't it? (Added 7/23/2012)

A Woman Under The Influence - Is this a good place to start with Cassavetes? I've never seen any of his films. (Added 7/23/2012)

His Girl Friday - Is Cary Grant going to Cary Grant it up in this? (Added 8/7/2012)

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - Jarmusch directs a film about a Taoist hitman. I'm on board. (Added 8/21/2012)

Braveheart - I got yelled at the other day for never having seen this. My pre-judgments are that it's a bloated Oscar Bait epic made by an anti-semite/racist/misogynist. On the other hand - FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!! (Added 10/5/2012)

Jules et Jim - Started to watch this about a year ago but I was really tired so I took a nap instead. Never got back to it. (Added 10/5/2012)

Sex, Lies, and Videotape - The only Soderbergh films I've seen are The Informant and Erin Brockovich. He's probably a more diverse director than those films let on. (Added 10/11/2012)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Looks like this is the oldest one on the list.

I watched The Sixth Sense last night and I really liked it. I think I was expecting more horror, but the way this movie works is definitely more psychological thriller, dead people or no. I appreciated Shyamalan's ability to tell an interesting story with relatable characters while also keeping the feeling of creepiness. He didn't really resort to too much gore, either, and treated all the ghosts like real people rather than monsters.

I thought the ending was a little oddly paced, but maybe that's because the big twist was supposed to feel a bit more climactic. I really wish I could have seen it without knowing the twist.

Overall, a very enjoyable film that's sort of out of my comfort zone, which was refreshing. Should I continue with Shyamalan?

2.) Rocky I've seen Rocky IV and Rocky V (blech) all the way through, but no other Rocky movie.

4.) Gone With the Wind. For some reason I had equated this movie to Casablanca, but the wife and I watched that a couple weeks ago. For some reason I thought the dude with the big ears was in Casablanca. He is not.

6.) Monsters Inc. I don't know why I thought The Incredibles was the only non-Cars Pixar movie I hadn't seen. I also haven't seen Brave yet.

8.) New! Braveheart. TrixRabbi reminds me with his/her list that I haven't ever seen this. I have a good friend who loves this movie with an insane passion, and I've been meaning to see it for a long time.

10.) Magnolia. The only PTA movie I've seen is Punch Drunk Love, and that was a long time ago. (Update: I've seen Boogie Nights now). This movie comes highly recommended.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai(4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5), Reservoir Dogs(5/5), Yojimbo(3.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia(5/5), A Clockwork Orange(4/5), Raging Bull(5/5), Schindler's List(4.5/5), Citizen Kane(5/5), The Incredibles(4/5), The Sixth Sense 3.5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Looks like this is the oldest one on the list.

I watched The Sixth Sense last night and I really liked it. I think I was expecting more horror, but the way this movie works is definitely more psychological thriller, dead people or no. I appreciated Shyamalan's ability to tell an interesting story with relatable characters while also keeping the feeling of creepiness. He didn't really resort to too much gore, either, and treated all the ghosts like real people rather than monsters.

I thought the ending was a little oddly paced, but maybe that's because the big twist was supposed to feel a bit more climactic. I really wish I could have seen it without knowing the twist.

Overall, a very enjoyable film that's sort of out of my comfort zone, which was refreshing. Should I continue with Shyamalan?

What I like about Sixth Sense is that the movie holds together after you know the twist, and the rest of the movie is still a complete story- it's not just a build-up to a big twist. Also, it is all about the characters. If you make a plot summary, not that much happens, but it's gripping because you care about the character development. As for other Shyamalan movies: Unbreakable is his best movie, and if you don't know the twist there you should see it soon before anyone spoils it. Signs is polarizing: I think it's a well-made, suspenseful movie, but a lot of people think it's stupid. I think the complainers take it too literally, and don't understand what it's really about the "aliens" are actually demons, but then again the movie doesn't explain itself very well. After that is where he took a nose-dive. The Village is all right, but it's very much about the big twist in the end, and once you know it the movie doesn't hold together very well. I never saw Lady in the Water, but I gather he puts in a Mary Sue to complain about all of his critics. The Happening and The Last Airbender are both laugh-out-loud bad, and I recommend downloading the RiffTrax and watching them- you'll get far more entertainment than you would from the movie.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Seaniqua, I'm not sure if you were given a new movie to watch or not, so with all the Hitchcock buzz going around lately, I suggest North by Northwest. One of my my favourite Hitch films only behind Rear Window and Vertigo. (Admittedly I have some work to do on his films too... I'll add Hitch next time)

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Watch Aliens. Although I myself wasn't a huge fan of those 2 movies, you'll probably enjoy it.

It took 3 weeks for me to have time to myself to watch this - a wait that was worth it!
I've heard the hype on how the sequel is better than the original. While Alien is still the better film, I'll say Aliens is the more entertaining movie. It's clear that there was a bigger budget to play with, and those final scenes look incredible on bluray.
Strange too how the child actor Newt was never seen on screen before and never acted again.
4.5/5

LIST

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - need to add a Scorsese film to get myself back on track in the "Pick a Director. Watch Every Movie." thread.

Blue Velvet - I've seen bits and pieces over the years (having no idea how it ends) but have never sat and watched it from start to finish. This needs to change.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - I have yet to watch a single Lean film, so I'm picking this one because I already own the bluray [picked it out for free when buying a PS3 bundle at Future Shop]

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I have no idea why I haven't watched this yet. Listening to Michael Phillips on Filmspotting has had me re-invigorated in getting around to it.

Close-Up - Certified Copy was one of my favourites of the last couple years, and I need to see more Kiarostami.

Hiroshima, Mon Amour - I loved Last Year at Marienbad, and got through the devastating Night and Fog - this should be my next Resnais film.

The Hustler - It seems like a movie I'd love, yet just haven't got around to watching it.

La Dolce Vita - I loved 8 1/2, and I need more Fellini in my life.

The Leopard - blind bought this during a criterion B&N sale and just have yet to watch it - and I haven't really had any strong desire to bump it up to the top of my 'need to see' list. Adding it here for someone to change my mind.

Le Samourai **new** - have always heard very good things and that Criterion cover keeps staring at me on the shelf.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5),

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 12, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Friendo, I think I'll give you Bridge on the River Kwai.

A Streetcar Named Desire was an intense piece of work. I don't think I've ever seen such complex characters on film. None of them could be pigeonholed into good or bad- they all made mistakes, they all tried to be better, and they all were sympathetic. Blanche was snobbish at times but it was all a cover for how hurt she was. Mitch reacted badly to Blanche's lies, but he wanted to love her and felt betrayed. And Stanley, while ultimately the closest the movie has to a villain, is still someone I felt sorry for due to his lowly background and the way others were prejudiced against him. This movie hurt to watch. I also liked the way it used the medium to its advantage. You can tell this was originally a play due to the small number of sets, but it was much more expressionistic than that suggests. The low camera angles, the use of shadow, the echoing dialogue all work together well to suggest a perspective you couldn't get on stage. And I can see why Brando is considered such a great actor, but Vivien Leigh was, if anything, even better. This is a masterpiece.

Rating: 4/4

66. Dr. Zhivago- For the historical epic slot, we move from sand to snow. Also, more WWI, this time from the Russian perspective, which I like even more.

70. Leon: The Professional- I really have no idea what this is, but apparently Gary Oldman is the villain. Sold.

ON HOLD: 72. The Rapture- 1991 movie about the dark side of an already pretty dark heresy. This sounds right up my aisle.

73. Safety Last- Silent comedy by a guy who's not Chaplin- Lloyd? Keaton? Pretty sure it's one of them.

74. Something by Fellini- Never seen a Fellini film. People on this thread argue about what order to watch them in, so whoever posts below me gets to pick.

75. Tokyo Story- What is this? I have no idea what this is, but I keep seeing it on best of lists.

77. Leaving Las Vegas- Like I said, I've always liked Nick Cage, so let's see his Oscar performance.

78. Dog Day Afternoon- Transsexuals and bank robbers, not necessarily at the same time.

79. Dogville- Never seen a Lars von Trier film. I think I heard this described as very dark and minimalist.

80. 12 Angry Men- What do Monk, Veronica Mars, Happy Days, The Dead Zone, and Family Matters all have in common? They've all used this movie as the template for an episode. I started this once, but stopped after maybe five minutes.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Jurgan posted:

This one is fantastic.

Cul-De-Sac felt a bit sloppy. It's nowhere near the psychological tension of Knife in the Water, but it still manages to be entertaining. It's kind of rough around the edges, and it's hard to put into words exactly what my problem was. Maybe it seems like there's too many ideas going on at once and Polanski wasn't able to properly execute them. Regardless, the acting, scenery, and cinematography are all fantastic. Even if it's not perfect, Polanski still knows how to make an exciting psychological thriller.

My List:

Sex, Lies, and Videotape - The only Soderbergh films I've seen are The Informant and Erin Brockovich. He's probably a more diverse director than those films let on. (Added 10/11/2012)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Haven't seen Stewart in a Western before. (Added 10/12/2012)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 13, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Rip off the band-aid.

Dog Day Afternoon is a gripping tragedy from top to bottom. This is what really convinces me that Al Pacino is a great actor. Don't get me wrong, I liked him in the Godfather movies, but those movies would have been great with or without him. DDA relied almost entirely on Pacino's charisma, and he is electrifying. The best moments were him strutting on the streets whipping up the crowd ("Attica! Attica!" I admit I had to pause that movie to look up exactly what he was referring to). I love the way he became a weird folk hero, speaking for the gay community and for people who are hostile to the police, and the Stockholm Syndrome relationships with the bank employees. My one complaint is that I wish there'd been an epilogue showing what happened after Sonny was arrested. The most interesting part of the movie was seeing how the outside world reacted to his crime and how he played off of them, so I would like to say how the world dealt with his arrest. I could easily see the hostages being mad at the police, killing Sal when they could have just as easily let them go. I can imagine it, but I would have liked a couple extra minutes to cap the story.

Rating: 3.5/4

80. 12 Angry Men- What do Monk, Veronica Mars, Happy Days, The Dead Zone, and Family Matters all have in common? They've all used this movie as the template for an episode. I started this once, but stopped after maybe five minutes.

81. Irreversible- This is supposed to be really disturbing. I probably want to watch it this month as a Halloween kind of thing.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

persona au gratin
Feb 26, 2003

the cure for yellow fever.

Jurgan posted:

66. Dr. Zhivago-
70. Leon: The Professional-
ON HOLD: [i]72. The Rapture-
73. Safety Last-
74. Something by Fellini-
75. Tokyo Story-
77. Leaving Las Vegas-
79. Dogville-
80. 12 Angry Men-
81. Irreversible-

Congrats, Jurgan, on really tearing through your recommendations. And congratulations on getting Leon: The Professional next.

My starting list of shame. Some are more shameful than others:
1. Scent of a Woman
2. Quiz Show
3. Tokyo Story
4. Brokeback Mountain
5. Winter's Bone
6. Rocky
7. Network
8. Sunset Boulevard
9. Doctor Zhivago
10. The Apartment