Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Almost Smart posted:

It could also mean there aren't a shitload of them available for purchase on day one.

That's very possible. Nintendo could be trying the "launch with gently caress-all units, and then proceed to get on major news sites who'll stupidly report that the WiiU has sold out in record time in an attempt to make casuals think they need to hurry up and get one cause it's the next major thing" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

People want to buy new things, all the things out are old.

Nintendo's not deliberately constraining supply; it's far more likely that pre-orders are strong, or manufacturing troubles hurt the supply. Despite what people theorized about the Wii, the actual shipment numbers showed that Nintendo really was producing and shipping the things faster and in more volume than any past game console.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I don't doubt that there'll be a shortage of hardware--WU's release is virtually simultaneous worldwide.
Still, if Bob's anecdote and the screeching on 2ch's anything to go by, there appears to be a heck of a lot of hysteria brewing up.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

IGN's Nintendo Video Chat podcast features NintendoLand this week, I've only just started watching but I'm sure it gives a good look at the game:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/05/nintendo-video-chat-playing-nintendo-land
edit-
No new footage, just put put together clips of everything shown so far

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 6, 2012

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't know why it's hard to believe that the first new console in 6 years which is also the successor to the best selling console of the last "generation" could potentially be sold out or have supply issues, especially when the launch windows around the world are so close. Having to pair every console with the tablet controller, which i'm assuming is much more difficult to manufacture than standard controllers, probably doesn't help the supply situation either.

The last thing Gamestop wants to do is not take your money for pre-orders. It's hard to believe there could be some conspiracy between gamestop/bestbuy/walmart/toys r us to help nintendo by artificially limiting pre-orders. If I had to guess, the most likely scenario is pre-orders will probably open up again once these locations know how many units they are getting, except for gamestop who has a waiting list, but I doubt it goes from limited pre-orders to shelves overflowing with systems for launch.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 7, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I passed on MHTri last generation but the way it's being talked about here coupled with what we believe to be much stronger internet connectivity and the HD graphics make for a very compelling argument to get it come March.

Then again I feel like I want every WiiU game coming out in the launch window! I should probably stop being so excited or my wallet is going to kill me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FPzero posted:

I passed on MHTri last generation but the way it's being talked about here coupled with what we believe to be much stronger internet connectivity and the HD graphics make for a very compelling argument to get it come March.

Then again I feel like I want every WiiU game coming out in the launch window! I should probably stop being so excited or my wallet is going to kill me.

Are you in America? Gamefly. If you beat 1 game every 3-4 month's you get your money's worth. I've played every game I cared to last gen and a ton of them I was very glad I didn't buy.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So um did someone change my av because it's kind of confusing me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know why it's hard to believe that the first new console in 6 years which is also the predecessor to the best selling console of the last "generation" could potentially be sold out or have supply issues, especially when the launch windows around the world are so close.

Well, it's the first new console in six years that is the predecessor of one that flopped in the hearts of gamers (but not in any other sense).

I mean I don't think anyone would be surprised by the total knock-out in Japan with the announcement of MH but, I'm guessing with the Mario launch title, and the tablet controller, casuals will be all over this poo poo.

Also, CoD and other such titles are now considered casual titles that make you totally cool if you play them.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 6, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, it's the first new console in six years that is the predecessor of one that flopped in the hearts of gamers (but not in any other sense).

I mean I don't think anyone would be surprised by the total knock-out in Japan with the announcement of MH but, I'm guessing with the Mario launch title, and the tablet controller casuals will be all over this poo poo.

Also, CoD and other such titles are now considered casual titles that make you totally cool if you play them.

The "tablet controller casuals"? Can you explain what you mean by this?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

The "tablet controller casuals"? Can you explain what you mean by this?

I added a comma in there.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I wonder if there is going to be a MH bundle stateside. Not sure I'd be able to resist that. :negative:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Only if you define gamers narrowly as the stereotypical Core Gamer. I'm pretty sure the 5 million copies of Donkey Kong Country Returns weren't bought by grandmothers.

Even so, I honestly am a bit surprised that the Wii U is selling like it is, not because of the Wii's reputation as the dust bowl in console form, but because from E3 2011 until September of this year, we constantly heard the media coverage emphasizing that people don't know what the Wii U even is, that they think it's just a tablet add-on to the Wii or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Only if you define gamers narrowly as the stereotypical Core Gamer. I'm pretty sure the 5 million copies of Donkey Kong Country Returns weren't bought by grandmothers.
That's what I meant. As you said the Wii was the dustbowl in console form. A lot of people got tired of waiting around for Nintendo's next game and just owned other consoles since that's where games were actually coming out. It didn't flop sales wise, gamers were just really dissatisfied.

quote:

but because from E3 2011 until September of this year, we constantly heard the media coverage emphasizing that people don't know what the Wii U even is, that they think it's just a tablet add-on to the Wii or something.

And it gives the user special powers. To think all this would've been avoided if Nintendo had a clear E3 2011 presentation. Even goons were loving confused.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 6, 2012

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho
I don't think there was ever a real possibility that the 'general public' was going to be confused about the Wii U the way people were predicting. Nintendo hasn't even started mass-market advertisements and tv commercials and what-not anyways, and once they do, there is no chance that average people will think it's a Wii add-on.
The very idea that such a notion would damage the sales of the Wii U is kind of ridiculous to me.

Also, to whom it may concern: the Wii U is not the predecessor of the Wii, it is the successor to the Wii.

And Nintendo is not touting the Gamepad as a way to enable asynchronous multiplayer, but, instead, asymmetrical multiplayer experiences.

I'm seeing these words used wrongly quite a bit lately

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chaltab posted:

Even so, I honestly am a bit surprised that the Wii U is selling like it is, not because of the Wii's reputation as the dust bowl in console form, but because from E3 2011 until September of this year, we constantly heard the media coverage emphasizing that people don't know what the Wii U even is, that they think it's just a tablet add-on to the Wii or something.

The interesting part is that from what I've heard and seen, it's the deluxe model that keeps selling out first.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

The interesting part is that from what I've heard and seen, it's the deluxe model that keeps selling out first.
Well at this point the average tech consumer knows what a Gigabyte is and can see that the deluxe has eight times as many of them. Plus it comes with Nintendo Land which is (and I don't mean this as a comment on its quality) casual bait.

Edit: also it's likely that preorders are are primarily being gobbled up by 'gotta-have-em-all' game junkies, Nintendo faithfuls, and scalpers who hope to make mint come Christmas.

Bobnumerotres posted:

And it gives the user special powers. To think all this would've been avoided if Nintendo had a clear E3 2011 presentation. Even goons were loving confused.
I watched the conference last year and I honestly I'm still not sure how people got so confused. Yeah, they emphasized the pad, but they were perfectly clear that it was a controller, not the system. They also showed the U, which is noticeably longer and rounder than the Wii, in the sizzle reels, and had both the sakura blossom and the Zelda tech demos that demonstrated graphics far above what the Wii is capable of.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 7, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chaltab posted:

I watched the conference last year and I honestly I'm still not sure how people got so confused. Yeah, they emphasized the pad, but they were perfectly clear that it was a controller, not the system. They also showed the U, which is noticeably longer and rounder than the Wii, in the sizzle reels, and had both the sakura blossom and the Zelda tech demos that demonstrated graphics far above what the Wii is capable of.

It wasn't that clear. CNN still didn't know any better after THIS year's E3, and i'm willing to bet a lot of people who don't frequent the internet often still have no clue what it is if this video is any indication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FEJRURH2xiM

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, my mom was under the impression that the GamePad was a new portable console until I told her it was just the controller for the Wii's successor. It's not perfectly clear for non-gamers/people who don't watch the conferences.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As a Gamestop employee, I have to clear up exactly what Wii U is to a few customers a day. Nintendo really needs to roll out the marketing train. Though that will be a double edged sword. It's going to be hell once grandmas find out what it is and all of them want one three days before Christmas and we don't have any.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Fact is the Wii U will sell like crazy, by the time people figure out it is not just a controller they won't be able to get one anyway... And was there any benefit to making the console look nearly identical to the Wii? I dot mind it, but it just adds to the confusion. Could you imagine of they were selling the game pad on its own at launch? So many kids would get just a controller for Christmas.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really thought the Wii couldn't be outdone.

Boy was I loving wrong. I pre-ordered early in case of some disastrous scenario, to learn that particular Gamestop ran out of both models within 24 hours.

When I sold my PS3 towards it today all the employees were talking about how lucky I was and how many people they've had to turn down/refer to the waiting list which is apparently a thousand strong (this is a university Gamestop with like 1.2 people in it at any given time).

I really thought the console would receive a mixed response out of the gate ("Mario, blops, and a bunch of ports? I think I'll wait") but holy gently caress it looks like it's going to blow the Wii's release craziness out of the water. People might get onto a waiting list today and get their console well into spring 2013.

I figure I am getting this system no matter what, so I might as well get it immediately instead of waiting a year.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

As a Gamestop employee, I have to clear up exactly what Wii U is to a few customers a day. Nintendo really needs to roll out the marketing train. Though that will be a double edged sword. It's going to be hell once grandmas find out what it is and all of them want one three days before Christmas and we don't have any.

Can you tell us how many reservations gamestops are offering?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If they are willing to buy a $299-$349 controller for their Wii then all three console manufactures are not doing enough to rip off the gaming community. Nintendo especially. You mean they could have done pre-orders on the Wii Motion Plus, priced it at 300 bucks and it would have sold? Stupid Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 3DS has the same problem in the beginning, with a lot of people thinking it was just another DS revision, but once they released Mario Kart 7 and SM3D people started to get the message. Maybe NSMBU will be all it takes to do the same for Wii U.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If they are willing to buy a $299-$349 controller for their Wii then all three console manufactures are not doing enough to rip off the gaming community. Nintendo especially. You mean they could have done pre-orders on the Wii Motion Plus, priced it at 300 bucks and it would have sold? Stupid Nintendo.
That wouldn't work because there's no screen to watch TV/play games on the Wii Motion Plus, it just looks like a longer Wiimote :colbert:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
They have enough time to limit confusion by slapping a SUPER before the name of the console on all packaging and promotional materials. I'm buying a Wii U, but I would buy the hell out of a Super Wii U.

Stupid idea aside, I'm really curious about this thing's media playback capabilities. If it can natively handle MKVs I'll be really happy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo doesn't need to worry that much about people thinking the system is just the Gamepad, because people can't buy a Gamepad on its own. That issue is kind of nipped in the bud.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo doesn't need to worry that much about people thinking the system is just the Gamepad, because people can't buy a Gamepad on its own. That issue is kind of nipped in the bud.

Yeah, that's what I figured Nintendo was really doing by not selling the Gamepad separately at launch.

edit: Though yeah it does sound legit that they don't want to sell separate Gamepads until real games that utilize two of them are out.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's still the issue of people buying Wii U games to play on Wii, but the packaging is a lot more distinct from Wii games than 3DS games are from DS games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's still the issue of people buying Wii U games to play on Wii, but the packaging is a lot more distinct from Wii games than 3DS games are from DS games.

When was the last time anyone tried to buy a game to play on their Wii?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

Kirby 20th anniversary. And pikmin 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I bought Xenoblade a few days after I pre-ordered my Wii U... to play when I get my Wii U :eng99:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

It wasn't that clear. CNN still didn't know any better after THIS year's E3, and i'm willing to bet a lot of people who don't frequent the internet often still have no clue what it is if this video is any indication:
I'm not saying people aren't confused. I'm saying the fact that they're confused baffles me. That is, anyone who watched the E3 press conference. I don't expect random strangers on the street to know what a Wii U is, but a CNN tech reporter should not be that sloppy.

And any gamers who are unclear I just have to scratch my head because the graphics alone should make it clear that it's not just a new Wii addon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

And any gamers who are unclear I just have to scratch my head because the graphics alone should make it clear that it's not just a new Wii addon.

The thing is that when you watch the 2011 E3 when you know it's a new console, it's like seeing Fight Club the second time. Things that were unclear or confusing now make perfect sense.

They start off the presentation with this "Wii U" and instead of presenting the console they present a controller, and then there's this box that looks way too much like a Wii in the distance so a lot of people assumed it was a Wii.

They then start showing Mario Brothers Mii and the graphics are nothing the Wii can't pull off (and they still aren't, it's just upscaled). By the time they start showing the tech demos (which have no player input so they could just be cutscenes) everyone is so confused we don't even know what the gently caress we're being shown.

Not ONCE throughout the presentation can you find the word "console" until the Third Party developer reel and you have to be paying attention to catch it. Nintendo themselves admitted they handled it sloppily and should've outright said this was a new console instead of going on and on about the controller.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 7, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Unless you folow this stuff it can be confusing. A coworkers was asking me about Mario Kart 7 when their kids started seeing commercials and wanted it. I had to explain how the 3DS is a whole new system... Dude is like 35 too and I'm only 28

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It probably didn't help that THQ released that Wii tablet dealio a year or two ago. I think Ubisoft was even planning on releasing one until they got wind of the Wii U.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The thing is that when you watch the 2011 E3 when you know it's a new console, it's like seeing Fight Club the second time. Things that were unclear or confusing now make perfect sense.

I realized immediately the Wii U was a new console when I watched that E3... I never once thought it was confusing / seemed like 100% nothing more than a controller for the Wii.

Many goons, however, were posting their raging hatred of Nintendo for releasing a new controller instead of a new console about 5-6 hours later.

Some of which had been posting angrily about it for hours, rather than having just seeing everything for the first time.

I don't get it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

MaxDuo posted:

I don't get it.

Goons are dumb.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
edit: ^^^ that happened too on the Italian last remnants of usenet and other minor gaming forums. Nintendo accustomed people to see girls taking their consoles around the stage when they announce a new console at E3. I'm so happy however that goons destined to take over the world with science can still read through Iwata's hermetism. :science: ^^^

Policenaut posted:

I bought Xenoblade a few days after I pre-ordered my Wii U... to play when I get my Wii U :eng99:

I found a solitary copy of Sin & Punishment 2 and brought her home :neckbeard:

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MaxDuo posted:

I realized immediately the Wii U was a new console when I watched that E3... I never once thought it was confusing / seemed like 100% nothing more than a controller for the Wii.

Many goons, however, were posting their raging hatred of Nintendo for releasing a new controller instead of a new console about 5-6 hours later.

Some of which had been posting angrily about it for hours, rather than having just seeing everything for the first time.

I don't get it.

Good for you? The fact that Nintendo even admitted the conference was poorly done kind of justifies everyone's confusion as to what the gently caress the WiiU actually was.

• Locked thread