Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

TaurusOxford posted:

Good for you? The fact that Nintendo even admitted the conference was poorly done kind of justifies everyone's confusion as to what the gently caress the WiiU actually was.

Nintendo admitting that their presentation was confusing to idiots doesn't really justify being an idiot.

I stayed up for the presentation and share MaxDuo's opinion - it was baffling how long people argued over something that was pretty obvious immediately to anyone with half a brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Honestly, I think I got even more confused after the post-presentation interview with Reggie!

I don't think this is fruitful to go around in circles and pat each other on the backs or whatever. Regardless of that all, it is a problem for the average game-buying Joe. I think it's just a case of, "Well, Nintendo could've handled that better, but it really has minimal harm since you can't just get the gamepad separately anyway." And probably not without any technical skill since it sounds like Nintendo is just offering replacements through themselves right now. Just kind of sucks it becomes part of the saleman's job, I guess.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
People are still indignant about others being a little confused by that announcement? It was a bunch of controller talk, a product name, and no actual mention of a console until you got a quick peek at it towards the end. The people who pointed that out knew there was a new system coming, but felt that the actual event made it seem like the controller might be a cross-gen accessory named Wii U.

That would have been a dumb move for Nintendo, but it was a fair thing to infer if you didn't go into the announcement with blinders on from very specific expectations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

Nintendo admitting that their presentation was confusing to idiots doesn't really justify being an idiot.

I stayed up for the presentation and share MaxDuo's opinion - it was baffling how long people argued over something that was pretty obvious immediately to anyone with half a brain.

Mods, could someone call in fragmaster to do some readings? Thanks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

People are still indignant about others being a little confused by that announcement? It was a bunch of controller talk, a product name, and no actual mention of a console until you got a quick peek at it towards the end. The people who pointed that out knew there was a new system coming, but felt that the actual event made it seem like the controller might be a cross-gen accessory named Wii U.

That would have been a dumb move for Nintendo, but it was a fair thing to infer if you didn't go into the announcement with blinders on from very specific expectations.

For me, it seems like people just don't know how to use google. If anyone tried googling information about the Wii U they would have known immediately that just about everyone was calling it a new console and that E3 was Nintendo revealing their next console. CNN deserves even more criticism for it. I'm a Journalism/New Media graduate and "Computer Assisted Reporting" is a first year program. You never write a story on an assumption.

"Oh, Nintendo is at E3 talking about some new controller? Let me check google... oh it's a new console reveal. Awesome, can't wait to hear more about it."

The fact people have a vast information database at their fingertips and would prefer to just knee jerk everything they hear is... well, a disappointment.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
My local game store has the Wii U ELITE BLACK VERSION with an included dumb normal controller and most importanly a copy of ZombiU, for £350. That's a lot of money to drop on one potentially awesome game, I'm just going to assume the console will be out of stock before reviews come in for the other release titles (ME3, AC3, Alien, LEGO)?

I havn't followed the info stream at all, and I'm only just looking into the console now, but am I right in assuming that if I do pick it up there is the potential that they will sell out worldwide and the resale price will skyrocket?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It probably didn't help that THQ released that Wii tablet dealio a year or two ago. I think Ubisoft was even planning on releasing one until they got wind of the Wii U.

Ubisoft did come out with a tablet! It was called the Drawsome. It came bundled with some Smurfs software. I think that was the only thing they released for it. Somehow, they were able to avoid losing the millions of dollars that THQ did.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The fact people have a vast information database at their fingertips and would prefer to just knee jerk everything they hear is... well, a disappointment.

Agreed.
Also, I'm pretty sure that by the time all the initial units are sold out at launch, word of mouth will inform all those people who just can't figure out that it's not an add-on, thus never affecting Wii U sales negatively, like, at all.

I don't think it was ever going to be an 'issue'.

I can't wait to get into Nintendo Land and Zombi U. That's what I'm picking up to go with my Deluxe bundle, and waiting a couple of weeks or a month to get NSMBU, which I'm also really looking forward to.

It is so funny to see internet ('core')gamers dismissing Nintendo Land as 'shovelware' and comparing Zombi U to Red Steel. They both look pretty great to me from what we've seen so far.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

It is so funny to see internet ('core')gamers dismissing Nintendo Land as 'shovelware' and comparing Zombi U to Red Steel. They both look pretty great to me from what we've seen so far.

In interviews all of the mini-games in Nintendo land have many, many levels. I think the dude talking about Metroid Blast said there were like 50+ levels and then multiple difficulties, and they said similar things about the pikmin game.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Nintendoland is pretty fun, what I got to play of it, and I don't doubt it's packed with Easter eggs and little neat things and goals the same way Wii Sports Resort was (I still haven't found more than two of the special targets in archery... of course, I haven't played much in a while because I'm the stereotypical too-lazy-to-stand-up-to-play gamer.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone posted a video showing the Wii U interface from an event in New York, and it looks kind of like Itunes. I'm having trouble voting the link on my phone this morning, but you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

greatn posted:

Someone posted a video showing the Wii U interface from an event in New York, and it looks kind of like Itunes. I'm having trouble voting the link on my phone this morning, but you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Here you go.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
ZombiU is just the worst name. I've been biased against the game from the start on the basis of that alone.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This looks like something they threw together specifically for in-store kiosks. I'd be surprised if the dash looks/behaves at all like this on retail hardware.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mammal Sauce posted:

This looks like something they threw together specifically for in-store kiosks. I'd be surprised if the dash looks/behaves at all like this on retail hardware.

Yeah I think you're right. Even for something they just threw together for in store demos it is still a nice step above the Wii though. I really hope that Nintendo direct is soon.

By the way, how do you transfer games from DSi to 3DS? A Gamestop employee told me transferring from Wii to WiiU would be basically the same deal, to keep my Wii until I transfered my games and then trade it in. He said corporate had received the information from Nintendo and disseminated it to stores so they could advise on trade ins. Obviously this was just a low level Gamestop employee but he seemed very nice and trustworthy.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man, I wasn't excited about the Wii U at all until I saw some of the monster hunter screens.
It's too late to get a pre-order already isn't it? Hopefully by the time I get it there will still be enough goon activity on monster hunter so I wouldn't be forced to play solo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Rayman has been delayed:

Eurogamer posted:

Rayman Legends is no longer a Wii U launch title, Ubisoft has confirmed.

The game was due out in Europe alongside the Wii U on 30th November. It now has a vague Q1 2013 release window.

"Rayman Legends will launch worldwide in the first quarter of 2013," Ubisoft said in a statement.

"We're happy that fans are excited about the game, and we are taking the time to make sure we deliver a game that lives up to and hopefully exceeds their expectations. We'll have more details to share soon."

The news is sure to disappoint prospective Wii U owners. Rayman Legends looked like being one of the console's best launch games.

Ubisoft's other Wii U launch game, ZombiU, remains on course for 30th November.
Source

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty disappointing. I don't plan on picking one up at launch but as soon as they become available for normal people to buy in the store I wanna pick one up and that game looks incredible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well drat. Now I need to figure out something else for launch. I'm getting ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, NSMBU, and Nintendo Land. Was getting Rayman, but if that's delayed I'll want one more thing at launch. Is there any chance that James Bond game will be good/have good multiplayer?

Probably smart to delay Rayman, if they didn't want to compete against Mario. They can probably take Mario on with critics, but not with sales.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Well drat. Now I need to figure out something else for launch. I'm getting ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, NSMBU, and Nintendo Land. Was getting Rayman, but if that's delayed I'll want one more thing at launch. Is there any chance that James Bond game will be good/have good multiplayer?

Probably smart to delay Rayman, if they didn't want to compete against Mario. They can probably take Mario on with critics, but not with sales.

:psyduck: You're getting a thousand games. I'm just getting NLand and blops, maybe I'll download Nano Assault Neo.

I hope there are demos available for every game so I can try out ZombiU and Tekken Tag Tournament.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

ZombiU is just the worst name. I've been biased against the game from the start on the basis of that alone.

It's a stupid name, but no more stupid than something like New Super Mario Bros U. For whatever reason they decided to reboot the old game Zombi which Ubisoft released way back in 1990. It's not just the word zombie with a U instead of an E: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombi_%28video_game%29

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

:psyduck: You're getting a thousand games. I'm just getting NLand and blops, maybe I'll download Nano Assault Neo.

I hope there are demos available for every game so I can try out ZombiU and Tekken Tag Tournament.

I am buying a lot but probably won't buy much for the remainder of next year. I was saving for a Microsoft slate but decided I just really don't need a tablet computer no matter how pretty they are, so I'm all in on Nintendo. I honestly think TVii was what sold me. Kinect and voice control sold me on the 360. Touch control that works even on my actual tv, without a monthly fee will be even better.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

bleep posted:

It's a stupid name, but no more stupid than something like New Super Mario Bros U. For whatever reason they decided to reboot the old game Zombi which Ubisoft released way back in 1990. It's not just the word zombie with a U instead of an E: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombi_%28video_game%29
Though game ending with U is going to be new super, 64, Wii, etc.

The only game that could get away with it would be The Worlds Ends Wii U. :haw:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm still hoping for Shank U.

(Also any bets on how long until a game has a regular name, but the box art has a prominent instance of the letter U replaced with the Wii U logo?)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Chaltab posted:

(Also any bets on how long until a game has a regular name, but the box art has a prominent instance of the letter U replaced with the Wii U logo?)

Ubisoft will make a whole franchise of them, like that Petz or Horsez poo poo. And they'll put the Wii U logo inside their own logo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Iacen posted:

Rayman has been delayed:

Source

Part of me hopes that the murphy backlash has them reconsidering things.

May be speaking out my rear end but after Nintendo power revealed it really is 50/50 friend mentioned a lot of people getting seriously pissed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think there was any real murphy backlash, just some goon over reaction.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Part of me hopes that the murphy backlash has them reconsidering things.

May be speaking out my rear end but after Nintendo power revealed it really is 50/50 friend mentioned a lot of people getting seriously pissed.

This is what I think too, and the Murphy levels are so specifically designed for it that they wouldn't work just making them single player. I hope the are gonna make a bunch more levels to pad out that 50/50.

Though personally I hope theres a lot of Murphy. Of the 3 game age kids I have, the youngest always just dies when we play NSMB. It will be awesome that she can do something that looks easier and that will make everyone depend on her.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I don't think there was any real murphy backlash, just some goon over reaction.

I saw it on various websites that I frequent so; v:v:v

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just wish the Murphy thing was an option. Why not a toggle to let the AI handle Murphy instead of Rayman?

But actually I don't like Murphy in general. For me the whole fun of Rayman Origins was that it was a precision platformer based on timing. If they're designing the game around intentional roadblocks, I can't imagine it's going to be anywhere near as tight or as fluid. Platforming with intentional roadblocks, for me, is bad design. It's 3D Sonic Game design.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was way down on Rayman before, completely unfairly, in the previous thread. Then after watching some more and playing some games, I was enthused for it. I guess I don't care if Rayman isn't the main character because I honestly don't care about any of the characters, and the platforming and world altering gamestyles both sound very interesting to me.

I thought the designers had clarified that most of the game was standard platforming though, with Murphy type levels being as numerous and lengthy as bonus missions or something. In any event I hope they don't drop it altogether.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I was way down on Rayman before, completely unfairly, in the previous thread. Then after watching some more and playing some games, I was enthused for it. I guess I don't care if Rayman isn't the main character because I honestly don't care about any of the characters, and the platforming and world altering gamestyles both sound very interesting to me.

I thought the designers had clarified that most of the game was standard platforming though, with Murphy type levels being as numerous and lengthy as bonus missions or something. In any event I hope they don't drop it altogether.

In a interview he said roughly half, the interviewer gave him a rather dirty "are you serious" look and commented on it. Lead designer backed off saying he misspoke.

Nintendo power just revealed that he was backpedaling and it really is 50/50 Murphy controlled.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, that seems pretty hard hitting from a Nintendo power interview. Is it because they have two issues left so they're doing whatever they want?

I can understand the frustration though, if you bought a new Mario game and it was 50% put platforms down for Mario. Surprised an interviewer would shoot a developer a dirty look though. That's pretty ballsy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Hmm, that seems pretty hard hitting from a Nintendo power interview. Is it because they have two issues left so they're doing whatever they want?

I can understand the frustration though, if you bought a new Mario game and it was 50% put platforms down for Mario. Surprised an interviewer would shoot a developer a dirty look though. That's pretty ballsy.

Imagine being in that business, interviewing the developer of a major game coming out, and they say "Oh yeah and the game has this really stupid awful idea in it."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Like I said before, Ubisoft is in a cycle right now where they are all about making their games adaptable to tablets and mobile devices, so I always assumed the majority of the game would be Murphy dumbshit.

I'm just gonna get myself some of that Mario gaming comfort food instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

Imagine being in that business, interviewing the developer of a major game coming out, and they say "Oh yeah and the game has this really stupid awful idea in it."

Well that's the point where I differ with most, as a puzzle platformer where you clear the way for the protagonist sounds pretty cool to me. But I have no history with Rayman games and I know their platforming is highly respected, so maybe it's just too hot a property to touch and they should have put that idea in an original IP.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
So far I'm getting Nintendo Land (with my deluxe pack) and Assassins Creed 3. I'm in two minds about Mario - the one on Wii was alright but just don't feel as tightly designed or satisfying to play on my own, and when I play a game with my wife we rarely end up completing it and normally peter out at some point (Portal 2 excepted). Still, it's Mario in HD. Will wait for the reviews and see if they sway me one way or the other.

Really excited for Monster Hunter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Still, it's Mario in HD.
If by that you mean it's Wii NSMB upscaled, yeah it is.

I'm gonna wait for the big actual 3D mario game with a lot of love in it. NSMB series is full of well designed levels and stuff but it's not worth the price of admission to me, if it were a budget game like 25~30 dollars it'd be worth it.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Bobnumerotres posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that. Thanks, you saved me $60 right there!
Anybody who wants to play that game could probably spend less than the admission price of a Wii U to get a PC together to run it on Dolphin, then, couldn't they?

Seriously, though, you're full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bobnumerotres posted:

What do you mean? It's a new game, isn't it, designed specifically for the Wii U (and presumably therefore to utilise its capabilities), so how can it be upscaled from anything?

quote:

I'm gonna wait for the big actual 3D mario game with a lot of love in it. NSMB series is full of well designed levels and stuff but it's not worth the price of admission to me, if it were a budget game like 25~30 dollars it'd be worth it.

If the next flagship Mario game is anything like as good as either of the Galaxy titles on Wii then it will be happy days. Two of the very best games of the generation for sure.

• Locked thread