Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ACID POLICE posted:

The Samsung 840 Pro is hitting the market in 10 days, shouldn't be much more than the 830 as it is and has a 5 year warranty too.
What? It's going to cost a lot more per model, particularly with how often any of those established drives go on special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well on the bright side of things, I talked my boss into geting a few more 120GB SSDs and putting them into RAID-1 with the OCZ drives just to have a failsafe.

No issues with RAID on SSDs? Sorry if that's a ridiculously dumb question.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'd trust a single Intel drive over 2 OCZ's in RAID

Assuming you have decent Intel chipsets I wouldn't worry about them

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah no I mean I'll get a different brand SSD to RAID with the OCZ.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

ToG posted:

I presume you're using BIOS. If you're using UEFI it doesn't work, It looks like it did but it doesn't do anything.
I just updated mine a couple days ago and I'm on Win8 with the Asus P8Z77-V after updating my BIOS. The update went smooth.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

The Samsung 840 Pro is hitting the market in 10 days, shouldn't be much more than the 830 as it is and has a 5 year warranty too.

I was going to get an 830 or MS5 but when I read about the 840 Pro I think it seems worth waiting for.
Keep in mind there were failures in the review samples. While I think it will end up being a reliable drive, I'd give it some time to get a firmware revision or two in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Best choices are the Intel 330 and the Samsung 830.

DrDork posted:

Intel 330 and Samsung 830 are always solid choices. Between the two I'd go with the 830 since you get 8GB extra compared to the Intel.

Thanks guys, my 830 arrived today.

Still doing Windows updates as I decided to do a fresh install, but first impressions are it has improved the responsiveness of my Core2 Duo about 100 fold from the 7200rpm disk it's replacing.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Martytoof posted:

Yeah no I mean I'll get a different brand SSD to RAID with the OCZ.

Do the users store docs on a server? If you have consistent workstation hardware, just keep a couple imaged spares around to swap in when disaster strikes.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

What? It's going to cost a lot more per model, particularly with how often any of those established drives go on special.

I could have sworn Anandtech said it would cost like $25 more than the 830 but I could be going crazy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Civil posted:

Do the users store docs on a server? If you have consistent workstation hardware, just keep a couple imaged spares around to swap in when disaster strikes.

The SSD is only the OS drive. The user data is stored on a (now) 8TB array. This is just so poo poo like Matlab loads quickly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ACID POLICE posted:

I could have sworn Anandtech said it would cost like $25 more than the 830 but I could be going crazy
Assumed prices here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

So the 128GB should be around $150, and the 256GB around $270. Compared to the cheapest 830s on NewEgg right now, that's a price difference of $60 and $80, respectively. If you're just talking full-install kits that drops to a difference of $40 for both. The 512GB is pretty close, though--at $600 it's only $30 more than the 830 full-install, and $60 more than the cheapest available. However, unless you seriously have no way to mount a 2.5" drive in your computer without an adapter sled, there's no real reason to bother with the full-install kits. Even then, $40 buys a lot of double-sided tape.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind there were failures in the review samples.
Wait, there were more than one?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm thankful for backups... My 3 month old 512gb M4 just flaked out. Not sure what happened... no blue screens, no warning. I booted up this morning, and I couldn't make it past the Dell logo screen. Popped the old HDD back in and no issues.

I have a ticket open with Crucial, hopefully there's a fix or repair in my future :ohdear:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait, there were more than one?
I could be wrong, I remember the Anandtech failure and I thought there was at least one other report of issues. The Samsung 830 did also have a similar pattern of pre-release issues, but was mostly ok at launch, and fine after a firmware update.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm thankful for backups... My 3 month old 512gb M4 just flaked out. Not sure what happened... no blue screens, no warning. I booted up this morning, and I couldn't make it past the Dell logo screen. Popped the old HDD back in and no issues.

I have a ticket open with Crucial, hopefully there's a fix or repair in my future :ohdear:
Were you on the latest firmware?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Any idea why my Samsung 830 (as well as my HDD) show up labeled as SCSI drives in Windows 7 Device Manager even though they are connected via the SATA3 connection? Did I screw something up setting up my system? Should I be concerned?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Any idea why my Samsung 830 (as well as my HDD) show up labeled as SCSI drives in Windows 7 Device Manager even though they are connected via the SATA3 connection? Did I screw something up setting up my system? Should I be concerned?
You may have them connected to the wrong controller. What motherboard do you have?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alereon posted:

You may have them connected to the wrong controller. What motherboard do you have?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SABERTOOTH_X79/

Edit: The spots I connected them on the board, and their cables, are labeled SATA3/6GBPS, so I'm not sure where else I should have connected them.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 7, 2012

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Alereon posted:

I could be wrong, I remember the Anandtech failure and I thought there was at least one other report of issues. The Samsung 830 did also have a similar pattern of pre-release issues, but was mostly ok at launch, and fine after a firmware update.
Were you on the latest firmware?

Actually I installed the new firmware a couple of nights ago

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Make sure you have them connected to the brown ports, gray or green will not work properly. If you do have them connected to the brown ports, install the latest Intel Chipset INF drivers and Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alereon posted:

Make sure you have them connected to the brown ports, gray or green will not work properly. If you do have them connected to the brown ports, install the latest Intel Chipset INF drivers and Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

Yeah they are brown ports. I guess I'll try the driver thing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Yeah they are brown ports. I guess I'll try the driver thing.
Oh also, are you using any kind of RAID, and if not is the controller set to AHCI mode in the BIOS?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I think my Samsung 830 is defective :/ . It regularly locks up my 2010 MBP, and acts like this support discussion.. I guess I'll replace it under warranty.

Edit: and just like this one too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alereon posted:

Oh also, are you using any kind of RAID, and if not is the controller set to AHCI mode in the BIOS?

I am not using RAID, and I am set to AHCI in BIOS. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility recognizes it as SSD and so does the Samsung utility that comes with the drive. I believe the Samsung benchmark programs show performance consistent with SATA3, so I don't know if it's just an issue of how it shows in Device Manager. BIOS recognizes it as SSD also.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Anyone got comments on this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226255

Lenovo is (fingers crossed) shipping my W530 next week. I got an mSATA Crucial m4 256GB that I plan to use as the OS drive and I want to replace the spindle 320GB with another SSD that offers more than 400 gb of storage.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

Anyone got comments on this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226255

Lenovo is (fingers crossed) shipping my W530 next week. I got an mSATA Crucial m4 256GB that I plan to use as the OS drive and I want to replace the spindle 320GB with another SSD that offers more than 400 gb of storage.
That's probably your best option, especially at that price. That's one of the Deluxe edition drives that are faster than your basic models because they use Toggle-mode memory rather than your basic asynchronous memory.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I have a question that I think might best be answered here. I was wondering if there is anyway I can make a SSD into an external hard drive? Even if it required a power adapter or something it would be fine. I am looking to take it into a saturation diving chamber, and regular hard drives get hosed up from the pressure. The only other option is to get one of those externals with wireless capability and put it outside the chamber but it would be nicer to have something to take in there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Of course you can. Take any modern external enclosure, open it, place SSD inside, done. SSDs don't use any different or fancier connector(s) than their normal HDD counterparts. If you get a 2.5" enclosure you should have no issues. Even if you got a full-size one designed for a 3.5" drive, you could make it fit with a 3.5" adapter ($5 or so) or with a bit of foam-tape.

I assume you have some sort of pressure-resistant enclosure you were looking to use? I doubt your standard external enclosure would be any better off than a bare drive.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

I have a question that I think might best be answered here. I was wondering if there is anyway I can make a SSD into an external hard drive? Even if it required a power adapter or something it would be fine. I am looking to take it into a saturation diving chamber, and regular hard drives get hosed up from the pressure. The only other option is to get one of those externals with wireless capability and put it outside the chamber but it would be nicer to have something to take in there.

http://goo.gl/tWCjf

edit: my assumption would be that hard disks are designed to allow air to enter and exit. This might be a problem in an environment with wacky pressure. Maybe not though.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I was thinking you might be able to do it without an enclosure since I'm not sure if that would handle it either. Point taken though and I should do some research on google for an adapter or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp turns out that I'm just going to replace the OCZ with two more reliable SSDs on a bunch of these machines since these are pretty critical workstations.

Upside: I have a bunch of OCZ SSDs. If I raid a bunch of these together I should be able to mitigate a bit of the reliability. Thinking about throwing them in my VMware iSCSI datastore.

Short of it: Thanks for this, thread. Managed to get a good rep at work for a proactive recommendation, got the ball to switch vendors (which I've been trying to do for a while), and I got a nice RAID array for my non-critical VMware lab. Merci :3:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

flashman posted:

I was thinking you might be able to do it without an enclosure since I'm not sure if that would handle it either. Point taken though and I should do some research on google for an adapter or something.
There certainly are simple adapters that you can use. poo poo, my Samsung 830 came with one--it's just a little combined SATA/power connector plate connected up to a USB cord. Impromptu external drive.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Well, it appears the firmware update is what borkd my m4. Is it possible to roll the firmware back, or do I need to swap with Crucial?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Anandtech just released their Samsung 840 review. It looks like it will be a really good entry drive. It doesn't do so well in some of the synthetic benchmarks, and there were some minor quirks with TRIM, but on the whole it's a good performer. The MSRP is $200 for the 250GB drive, and street prices will likely be lower than that.

So long as there aren't any firmware or TLC NAND issues, it looks like it'll be a good recommendation for people.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'd give it some time on the market before recommending it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

I'd give it some time on the market before recommending it.
Yeah like everything from any brand: let the early adopters be the beta testers.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I installed a new SSD I bought and went into disk management to add it. I did "add new simple volume" wizard and I made sure not to format it, but then it just disappeared after a few seconds. Now not even my device manager detects it. Did I just brick it from trying to install it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

unpronounceable posted:

The MSRP is $200 for the 250GB drive, and street prices will likely be lower than that.
They better be, it's a bit ridiculous for this thing to have prices comparable to the Samsung 830 when the durability and write performance are so much lower. It would be really interesting to see a Sandforce controller paired with TLC NAND, as Sandforce's compression, reduced write amplification, and better error correction seem like they would help cover up for the weaknesses of TLC. Just like how Sandforce drives can get good performance using Asynchronous NAND that would make a Marvell controller dog slow.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

Well, it appears the firmware update is what borkd my m4. Is it possible to roll the firmware back, or do I need to swap with Crucial?

I want to plug the awesomeness of Crucial tech support. Got a guy from Idaho on the line in under 5 min.

Problem was with firmware causing the SSD to not wake up on boot. Tech says he's had a couple of calls daily for the past week on it.

Solution is to power on and leave the system on the bios screen for 20 minutes. Evidently the bios wakes the drive up, which will allow the user to boot the os and roll the firmware back.

Tech said there is no clear correlation with systems experiencing the issue. It's happening on Macs and PCs and various. chipsets.

I'm up and running again!

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
It looks like I'm getting a 120GB OCZ drive for free (even then I'm tempted to set it on fire, gently caress OCZ), and my gameplan was to update the firmware immediately and then use it for caching but I have a P67 board so that looks like a no-go.

Plan B I guess is to run frequent backups - I was thinking possibly to the point where anything I installed to the SSD would be mirrored on the HDD in software at install time, but I'm sure that would be annoyingly slow. I guess I could also dump a whole disk image every night at like 4AM but that also seems like it would be slow and take up more space than I might use since all that's going on it is probably a few Steam games and frequently used applications I use for game development work. What's the recommended incremental backup solution, then? Norton Ghost? I'm tempted to just set up symlinks for anything applications/games save locally and not to AppData, but it would be nice not to have to gently caress around in the command prompt.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I use Norton Ghost. Using standard compression and imaging my 256GB SSD (~180GB used) once a week (I have it do it at 11pm on Sunday), I have about 15 restore points taking up about 170GB on an otherwise unused 250GB drive that came with a N40L I bought. It works well, it's unobtrusive, and most importantly, it actually loving works when it comes time to need to roll back for whatever reason.

There are simlink tools you can use to help set those up, if you care to. There's even one that's specifically intended to help you move around all your Steam games, since that seems to be the most popular use for them.

• Locked thread