Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I assumed he wanted specifically the solid style since fixed-loop chairs are all over the place. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moecat
Jan 20, 2012
So I'm pretty fixed on getting a decent chair, I've been using a really cheep and nasty leather computer chair which to be fair has been alright in my book, but is literally on its last legs. The fake leather peeled off years ago and two of the wheels snapped off.

To top all of this off the doctors said I have developmental curvature in my spine which I know very well is due to my posture at the computer, which I'm positive I spend almost every waking hour of the day on. Funny that since then, I've noticed my back has been aching or at least slightly uncomfortable at the desk, so this is the final straw for me really.

I've decided to go for the Steelcase Leap, I'll have to buy it "blind" so to speak because there is no chance in hell of finding on to sit on around these parts.
My question is that I'm not sure if I should go for the leather model, or the fabric one, which is slightly cheaper.

I know that this won't magically fix my lovely posture, but maybe having a chair that I can lean back in (my chair stopped doing that years ago) , and not worry about toppling over due to missing wheels may encourage me.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've been using a fabric Leap for almost three years and have no complaints. Unless you have a leather kink, save yourself a bit of cash :)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Better would be to take a few breaks during the day to stretch and walk around. Otherwise, yeah an ergonomic chair would helpful, but it can't replace regular physical activity.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Moecat posted:

So I'm pretty fixed on getting a decent chair, I've been using a really cheep and nasty leather computer chair which to be fair has been alright in my book, but is literally on its last legs. The fake leather peeled off years ago and two of the wheels snapped off.

To top all of this off the doctors said I have developmental curvature in my spine which I know very well is due to my posture at the computer, which I'm positive I spend almost every waking hour of the day on. Funny that since then, I've noticed my back has been aching or at least slightly uncomfortable at the desk, so this is the final straw for me really.

I've decided to go for the Steelcase Leap, I'll have to buy it "blind" so to speak because there is no chance in hell of finding on to sit on around these parts.
My question is that I'm not sure if I should go for the leather model, or the fabric one, which is slightly cheaper.

I know that this won't magically fix my lovely posture, but maybe having a chair that I can lean back in (my chair stopped doing that years ago) , and not worry about toppling over due to missing wheels may encourage me.

The standard Steelcase leather is actually kinda crappy and hard. If you're buying new, either go for the Elmosoft leather upgrade, which would be a hundred or so bucks more than the Steelcase leather, or go for the Brisa, which is around $75 more than standard fabric. The Brisa is a breathable, supple, durable, and easily cleaned faux leather that I've been really happy with.

Moecat
Jan 20, 2012
Hmm... I couldn't find anything about the type of leather they use on the website, let alone the Brisa one you mentioned. (Searching for brisa popped up a different chair by them however).

Do you have any experience in comparison to the Fabric version?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Better would be to take a few breaks during the day to stretch and walk around. Otherwise, yeah an ergonomic chair would helpful, but it can't replace regular physical activity.

Yeah, I don't expect any chair to do miracles for my back, however computer use is almost unavoidable for me so at least I can cross that off. I'm not dismissing anything you said though.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Brisa is one of the options that isn't advertised, but available - you can check out page 24 of http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/protege/documents/seating.pdf

Steelcase leather is +$599 MSRP, and elmosoft is 692, but is a supple, semi aniline leather that they use on their $3000 work lounge leaps.

I think Brisa is a fabric price group 5 - it feels better than steelcase leather (which is kind of hard and slippery) and the stock fabric. It'll require way less maintenance than leather, and is much more durable and easy to clean than either.

So imo either go all the way and get the elmosoft, or do the brisa.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think steelcase makes lovely couches and lounge area chairs so you have to buy their expensive ergonomic chairs. These couch things feel like they are just bits of plywood with fabric stapled on. If you plonk down too hard on one, you'll probably hurt your back and now you have to buy an ergonomic chair.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
I found a guy in my area selling a HugM Flex still new in its box for 99 dollars. The "lung" chairs were mentioned earlier in this thread, but has anyone experience this chair recently? Should I just save up some more and wait for another CL chair deal to come by?

edit: My job doesn't require me to sit much, but I do spend the majority of my time at home sitting at my desk. I currently have a crappy warehouse chair so anything will be an improvement.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 17, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Moecat posted:

I bought a used fabric leap for $229 and it's actually solved 80% of my back problems compared to my previous chair, a Herman Miller Caper.

super_chair
Mar 13, 2012
So, in general, is Ikea worth looking in, or should I save myself like an hour driving and just shop around online?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

super_chair posted:

So, in general, is Ikea worth looking in, or should I save myself like an hour driving and just shop around online?

I think like anything it's subjective, but the only vaguely decent Ikea chair that I've ever seen is the Markus. I found it to be a terrible chair, but YMMV.

If you need a desk though, the Galant series is fantastic.

super_chair
Mar 13, 2012
That doesn't have nearly enough adjustment levers for my taste.

Levers make me feel important.

On a related note, which chair has the most levers?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

super_chair posted:

On a related note, which chair has the most levers?

A fully loaded Mirra has eight controls, I think: depth adjust, height adjust, rear tilt limiter, forward tilt lock, swivel lock for each arm, sliding lumbar adjust and torsion dial.

super_chair
Mar 13, 2012
I just looked up Mirra.

They literally have a configurator, like they're a car company or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Moecat posted:

Dogpiling on this one. I use a mesh Leap at work and it's the greatest thing.

Just picked up this bad boy for $30 on Craigslist. Steelcase Criterion. The owner raided it from his workplace when they were replacing the office chairs and has used it at home for the last few years. His wife was going to throw it away. It's clean, every moving part works great, and comes from a house without pets/smoke/kids.

Sarihn
Apr 13, 2006
So, I've been looking for a new chair for a little bit now, since the leather in my old chair is ripping from general use and being torn to shreds by our two cats. It's not that big of a deal since I picked it up at a thrift store, and it's lasted about 4 years.

Today at a yard sale I picked up a nice chair for $10 that the lady told me that "It doesn't go up and down". Which is fine by me, since I'm no stranger to taking things apart and tinkering with them, and it was cheap. When we got it home and looking it over really well, we found the vertical adjustment lever is missing. I go to the internet to figure out what kind of chair it was, how to rip it apart without destroying anything, and if we could jury rig a lever to it.

Turns out that I unknowingly bought a Steelcase Leap and was floored by how much I had just bought it for. I really didn't know that office chairs cost that much, or brand names for that matter.

I did figure out how to get the chair apart thanks to some Youtube videos, and adjusted it to where it needed to be. But is there any way to get my hands on a replacement lever so I don't have to rip the chair apart if I ever feel the need to adjust the height for any reason? Initial searches on Ebay, and Google has yielded nothing.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Find an authorized steelcase dealer - they'll have a parts department that should be able to hook you up. They usually only deal with corporate clients though, so there's a chance it might not be worth their while.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

rawrr posted:

Find an authorized steelcase dealer - they'll have a parts department that should be able to hook you up. They usually only deal with corporate clients though, so there's a chance it might not be worth their while.

The dealer near me was pretty cool about quoting me a price, though I never had to buy one. If they can't get you one you might try National Office Liquidators or one of the places people here buy their Leaps. They work with the dealers enough & might be able to buy one & ship it if your local dealer tells you to get lost.

I'm surprised Steelcase's site doesn't have replacement cylinders - you can go there to get arm caps, a new base, but not a gas cylinder. Odd.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Is the difference between the Size B and Size C Aeron chair that much? I found a cheap one but it's Size C and I'm just 5'7", 155lbs.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Lpzie posted:

Is the difference between the Size B and Size C Aeron chair that much? I found a cheap one but it's Size C and I'm just 5'7", 155lbs.

No idea specifically but too large can be just as bad as too small. If the seat is too large it will cut off circulation to your lower leg or force you to not support your back.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fatal posted:

No idea specifically but too large can be just as bad as too small. If the seat is too large it will cut off circulation to your lower leg or force you to not support your back.
To expand on that, you should be able to fit 2 finger widths between the seat and the back of your legs. If you can't do that, the seat is too long - if it's wider, the seat is too small.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So if I can fit both fists... :suicide:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
This is enormously optimistic of me, but I'll try anyway: does anyone know of a retailer in the Montreal area that sells Steelcase, etc chairs?

It's a loving nightmare trying to find speciality stuff like this in Canada - and especially so in Quebec.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lexicon posted:

This is enormously optimistic of me, but I'll try anyway: does anyone know of a retailer in the Montreal area that sells Steelcase, etc chairs?

It's a loving nightmare trying to find speciality stuff like this in Canada - and especially so in Quebec.

You could try calling these guys: http://www.steelcase.com/en/shop/dealers/pages/results.aspx?currentPage=1&region=Quebec&country=CA

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Thanks; this looks really promising.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Funnily enough I just came upon this thread today and am just about to start working from home full time.

I'm 6'5" 240 and after reading this thread have realized an Office Max special is probably not the way to go.

We're also moving into a very nice space and the desk and chair will be in a visible place, so looks and wear matter.

Long story short, are there any good high-end/ergonomic chair retailers in Seattle I can go plop my cheeks into before I pull the trigger? :)

[edit] I found a Design Within Reach in Seattle. Feels like it may at least be a good start...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 7, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ordered a large Titanium-Smoke Aeron after about a 20 minute sit. Can't wait to have it delivered!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
If you could choose between a professionally refurbished Aeron with 1-year warranty for 610 funbucks or a new one with 12-year warranty for 950, what would you go for?

Has anyone ever sent their chair for repair? I imagine it would be a huge pain to ship.

poty fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 8, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I got my chair with a new seat pan (I was the first one to sit in it) and new hydraulics for $400 after gas to pick it up 45 minutes away. If you shop around I'm sure you could find some great deals. $610 is a lot of money for a used one, in my opinion. Most liquidators sell them for about $450 a pop. If something did go wrong, you could put the extra $160 you saved toward the repair. But if you had to buy something with a warranty, I'd say just buy new, as the warranty is twelve times longer. You also get the feeling that you're in a new chair that wasn't farted or jerked off in a million times, which is worth the extra $300, I think.

I've been using the Aeron for two weeks now and I'll say that it's helped my posture significantly. I'm a pretty tall guy (6'2" with a 35" inseam) and most chairs don't extend high enough to accommodate my legs. An Aeron in the medium size is perfect and I'm able to sit for hours in an upright position, something I never thought possible. Even my girlfriend commented that I stand up straighter now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's worth noting that if you can get some kind of ottoman (spell that right?) The Aeron's recline like a motherfucker and are way comfy for "non-work" sitting. :)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I bought a new Leap from Steelcase and have been waiting soooo patiently. I finally got the shipping info today and was really disappointed to see that that my chair was made in Mexico. Nothing against Mexico but I live in Grand Rapids which is the home of Steelcase and I can't help but think of my friends that were laid off from the local operations. :(

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
For any of those interested, Steelcase just started their Fall sale where everything is 15% off until the 15th. This makes a new Leap $756 instead of $890.

I've been eyeing these for some time now, so this sale is oddly convenient. I just wish there was a place within 100 miles that had one that I could sit in first. :(

Edit: It looks like the other Leap dealers are offering the discount as well, so shopping around for free shipping might be a good idea.

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 10, 2012

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

cliffy posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.
I have an Embody at work and an old franken-Aeron at home that I put together from parts on craigslist/ebay. After using both for about a year, I've noticed better back support with the Embody. Assuming it isn't junked out, $500 is a screaming deal.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I bought a new Leap from Steelcase and have been waiting soooo patiently. I finally got the shipping info today and was really disappointed to see that that my chair was made in Mexico. Nothing against Mexico but I live in Grand Rapids which is the home of Steelcase and I can't help but think of my friends that were laid off from the local operations. :(

That is loving lame. Vote with your dollars and buy a Herman Miller or other domestic-made brand, then?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I am on the hunt this weekend for high back v1 leaps on craigslist. Got 2 leads so far for around $350, but I need a better chair badly as my current one has zero back support and I sit in it too much.

Hopefully I can snag a decent one.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I'm out to pick a new chair this week. Aeron or Mirra. I use to have an Aeron at my ISP job, took it home when we all quit, then the arm broke so I tossed the chair, not knowing it had 12yr warranty...

I really liked it, but it is my understanding the Mirra is the new modeled Aeron and HM has only kept the Aeron around because of the name.

Any truth to this?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

routenull0 posted:

I'm out to pick a new chair this week. Aeron or Mirra. I use to have an Aeron at my ISP job, took it home when we all quit, then the arm broke so I tossed the chair, not knowing it had 12yr warranty...

I really liked it, but it is my understanding the Mirra is the new modeled Aeron and HM has only kept the Aeron around because of the name.

Any truth to this?

The Mirra's a significantly different (and cheaper) chair, I'd definitely sit in one before buying anything. Some people love one, some love the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Found a decent deal on a v1 high-back black fabric leap at a local liquidator for 350. They had v2's as well but the v1 seemed a bit heavier/sturdier and the arms seemed a bit more comfortable/wider.

Driving it home 20 miles in the passenger seat of my miata with the top down was interesting.

Now I have a leap at home and at work, although mine is in better shape.