Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any reason to regularly defrag a hard drive. Like, once a week? That seems excessive to me, but somebody asked me to schedule it on the computer I'm setting up for him to run weekly, and I'd like some feedback before I tell him that's insane.

If he's using Windows 7, the OS regularly defrags all the hard drives anyways, so it's not worth doing twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any reason to regularly defrag a hard drive. Like, once a week? That seems excessive to me, but somebody asked me to schedule it on the computer I'm setting up for him to run weekly, and I'd like some feedback before I tell him that's insane.

It runs every week automatically on Windows 7

e:f;b

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well if Microsoft makes it that easy, then I guess I can set it up for him. I'll just need to change the time that it runs at, which is easy enough.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FISHMANPET posted:

Well if Microsoft makes it that easy, then I guess I can set it up for him. I'll just need to change the time that it runs at, which is easy enough.

It's a pretty brisk defrag as things go, because it only cares about making the largest fragment 64MB - that is to say, if you have a large file that's scattered all over the disk, it'll only bother defragging until it gets each fragment to at least 64MB, or at least, that's what I remember, something about that being good enough to speed up disk access times.

But it's probably best not to explain that, because he sounds OCD enough that he'll want you to schedule some other program to defrag it 100%

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What's the recommended software for remote desktop between two Win7 Home Premium machines? They'll be on the same network.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the recommended software for remote desktop between two Win7 Home Premium machines? They'll be on the same network.
Tried googling for "windows 7 home premium remote desktop hack"?

As for remoting in general, I recommend mRemote. It isn't being developed any more, but works very well still. You could also check out Royal TS.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Ragingsheep posted:

You mean something-like-Remote-Desktop? RDP is only available on Pro or better, but I'm guessing you know this.

Try a flavor of VNC, like TightVNC or UltraVNC. Teamviewer or LogMeIn are other options.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kalicki posted:

I'm pretty sure that for Vista, the key determines what is installed, so you just need the X86 English version linked to from here, along with following the directions there. Links are to digitalriver, MS's official download partner, so no worries on tampering, apart from they added SP1 for you.

http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...ital-river.aspx

I just tried installing this and received this error.

Tried installing off the hard drive/usb stick, tried multiple computers and I'm getting that error every time.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
My friend is about to reinstall his Windows 7 onto a SSD, but he's a bit daunted by the whole Backup/Reinstall process. So before he begins, is there any kind of software that might make his life easier?
Preferably something that automates the re-installation of for example Acrobat Reader, Flash, Java and so on? He's not very computer-savy, but I can't quite hold his hand the whole way either. :shobon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lamquin posted:

My friend is about to reinstall his Windows 7 onto a SSD, but he's a bit daunted by the whole Backup/Reinstall process. So before he begins, is there any kind of software that might make his life easier?
Preferably something that automates the re-installation of for example Acrobat Reader, Flash, Java and so on? He's not very computer-savy, but I can't quite hold his hand the whole way either. :shobon:

Well, as far as reinstall goes, you just asked pretty much for Ninite.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lamquin posted:

You're looking for Ninite.

Or Aomei Parition Manager can clone the install if both drives can be connected at the same time, which would prevent the need to reinstall anything at all.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Medullah posted:

Well, as far as reinstall goes, you just asked pretty much for Ninite.

Woha, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks a ton both of you! :)

Flipperwaldt posted:

Or Aomei Parition Manager can clone the install if both drives can be connected at the same time, which would prevent the need to reinstall anything at all.

Cloning is a bit outside of my comfort zone, as I've never tried it myself, but this won't cause any issues with Windows? If it works, there isn't really a need to actually reinstall Windows, which saves us a bit of a headache.

Uh, I guess what I'm asking is: Is this foolproof and are there no drawbacks? Windows won't throw a fit over this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lamquin posted:

Woha, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks a ton both of you! :)

Keep in mind that Ninite will install everything onto your SSD (at least, it did last time I used it), which may or may not be what you want. It also installs everything with the default options, creating lots of desktop icons.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

Keep in mind that Ninite will install everything onto your SSD (at least, it did last time I used it), which may or may not be what you want. It also installs everything with the default options, creating lots of desktop icons.

Not quite default options; it creates an icon, but it opts out of toolbars and other bullshit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lamquin posted:

Uh, I guess what I'm asking is: Is this foolproof and are there no drawbacks? Windows won't throw a fit over this?
Windows will not throw a fit no. It doesn't care as such that it is on a new drive in the same computer.

Four things come up when cloning to an ssd:
1. Patition size if the SSD is smaller or larger than the old drive - this software should allow you to adjust that.
2. Partition alignment - this software should take care of this automatically while cloning - consequences of doing this wrong would be speed issues. The program has a manual option too, so this might be fixed afterwards if necessary.
3. AHCI setting in BIOS and Windows - would cause speed issues, blue screens if both settings aren't synchronized (but they are if it currently works with the HDD) - can be fixed afterwards.
4. Windows settings specific to SSD's. These are all set automatically by running the Windows Experience index again.

If you're feeling out of your depth or don't know what all this means, get informed, read and ask your questions in the SSD Megathread. Well do this anyway, as this writeup is turning out to be a bit messy.

Ideally, with a relatively modern computer typically the only thing you need to do is clone and run the Windows Experience Index again.

You lose nothing by trying (as long as you don't change anything on the original drive). If it doesn't work to satifaction, you format the SSD and do a fresh install like you planned. Make sure there is a backup of at least essential documents though, just to be on the safe side. If you don't have that, or don't have the space for it somewhere else, I recommend you just go with the fresh install, as you can just disconnect the HDD and not theoretically risk accidentally wiping it (or some other user error).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

Reinstall Java to the user folders instead of Program Files and such. Then it won't need elevation.

This worked for Java, thanks! But what about program installation files that don't ask for a directory (Kobo Desktop Software for example)?

Would changing permissions of the subfolder (i.e. .../Program Files (x86)/Kobo/) do the trick?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 9, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for remotely determining a computer's domain membership? Something like systeminfo /s hostname but without all the exhaustive info. For various reasons I'd like to get it from the computer instead of the DC.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Pilsner posted:

As for remoting in general, I recommend mRemote. It isn't being developed any more, but works very well still. You could also check out Royal TS.

There's also a fork of mRemote that's still under development called mRemoteNG.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo I'm about to throw this Server 2012 VM off the room. No remote admin tools for Windows 7? Can't even click a start button through Remote Desktop? The Autoplay dialog that comes up says "Tap to run." I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the server with \\<servername>\ so I can add some printers and use it as a print server. Good god chuck this turd into the toilet where it belongs.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
What's wrong with the integrated, Remote Desktop? Or does Win 7 Home not have that useability, and if that's the case, that's pretty inexcusable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can remote desktop to the server, but I can't press the start button, because there's no start button on the screen. I would need to press the button on my keyboard, but that gets passed to my local system, not the remote one.

I have no idea why they put the new UI in server, it's so pointless. Anyone that tries to tell me that it's not a touch based server OS is full of poo poo, because the loving thing told me to "tap" a menu item, of course it's touch based.

And even if I wanted to move everything to Windows 8 to use RSAT and powershell and all that stuff, I can't, because Windows 8 isn't out yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Illuminado posted:

What's wrong with the integrated, Remote Desktop? Or does Win 7 Home not have that useability, and if that's the case, that's pretty inexcusable.

Home versions have been missing Remote Desktop hosting since forever. It's always been a Professional/Business addon feature; just like Domains!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So what is the favorite to use for video streaming from PC->Android? I mean something like AudioGalaxy but to stream video across the internet. I need an excuse to buy a Galaxy S3 or Note2 and this would be it.

stubblyhead posted:

Any suggestions for remotely determining a computer's domain membership? Something like systeminfo /s hostname but without all the exhaustive info. For various reasons I'd like to get it from the computer instead of the DC.

Would this work good enough?
systeminfo /s localhost | @find "Domain"

Or maybe WMIC?
wmic /Node:192.168.0.1 ComputerSystem Get Domain

I am not too familiar with wmic however since I am not a Wintel admin

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Meta Ridley posted:

So what is the favorite to use for video streaming from PC->Android? I mean something like AudioGalaxy but to stream video across the internet. I need an excuse to buy a Galaxy S3 or Note2 and this would be it.

Better suited to the Android App thread.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Home versions have been missing Remote Desktop hosting since forever. It's always been a Professional/Business addon feature; just like Domains!
Not what's being discussed. He's having weird UI troubles when using Win7(whichever) as an RDP client to control Server 2012 and other tools are failing him, too.

Pretty sure you're confusing it with Ragingsheep's earlier (and applicable to your answer) question.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

FISHMANPET posted:

I can remote desktop to the server, but I can't press the start button, because there's no start button on the screen. I would need to press the button on my keyboard, but that gets passed to my local system, not the remote one.

Can't you install Desktop Experience and Classic Start? And if not, can't you change Remote Desktop to send Windows key combinations to the remote computer?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Tapedump posted:

Not what's being discussed. He's having weird UI troubles when using Win7(whichever) as an RDP client to control Server 2012 and other tools are failing him, too.

Pretty sure you're confusing it with Ragingsheep's earlier (and applicable to your answer) question.

He was responding to my post. The brief time I was crossplatform, I used TightVNC server for my stuff. Worked find and integrated well into mobile apps, and Linux/OSX VNC clients also.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Cleary, I could tell from the quoted post.

But, were you not replying to Fishmanpet's post of 14:31, directly above your 14:34 post?

If not, I don't understand where the discussion of RDP hosting in Win7Home came from if not from Ragingsheep's Home-to-Home remote question.

Seems a proper night for ships to be passing in.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
No, I'm just being an idiot, don't mind me. Just passing through!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FISHMANPET posted:

Use the hot corner in the lower left? Or the charms bar? You can get to the start menu from 3 of the 4 screen corners on my 2012 install.

I'm looking forward to rolling out 2012 in our environment, feature wise there's so many huge jumps over 2008, but I suspect we probably won't get into our release pipeline until next year.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 11, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I ended up using the hack from google and got it working fine. I don't really need any fancy features and stuff, just a lazy way to run some simulations on my laptop while sitting at my desktop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone mentioned mRemoteNG - it's pretty drat awesome software. I have all my servers added to it, where I can just double click the server name and it auto connects rdp to it. I also added all our switches, routers, firewalls etc where I can do the exact same thing.

Just owns, man.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Maneki Neko posted:

Use the hot corner in the lower left? Or the charms bar? You can get to the start menu from 3 of the 4 screen corners on my 2012 install.

I'm looking forward to rolling out 2012 in our environment, feature wise there's so many huge jumps over 2008, but I suspect we probably won't get into our release pipeline until next year.

I don't think the corner thing works over RDP, because I hovered my mouse in the corners and nothing happened.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think the corner thing works over RDP, because I hovered my mouse in the corners and nothing happened.

It did for me, although I was in full screen mode in the RDP client.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I was using Windowed mode. Ugh, I just don't know what to do with 2012.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I was using Windowed mode. Ugh, I just don't know what to do with 2012.

I think you can do it in windowed mode, it's just a very small target and thus easy to go outside the window instead. Or that was my experience with a Windows 8 vm in vmware player.

and i starve
Jan 24, 2005
Hey guys, hopefully this is the right thread to ask about my problem.. if not - I'm sorry! Nothing is broken, its more of how can I proceed.

I'm trying to get OpenVPN to run as admin automatically on windows 7 (64 for now, 32 down the road) but I'm at a bit of a halt. Why? The OpenVPN GUI will not change route tables in windows to connect to the office network correctly unless its ran in an elevated state.

Since I'm pushing to get an automatic change for my users in my office, I'm writing a .bat script that will change the registry entry for the .exe so it will run as administrator all the time.

The script works as needed but for some reason, the .exe will not run in an elevated state. The changes do appear to have gone through since the compatibility tab shows it as running as admin and is grayed out so it can not be changed.

It does run correctly when I right click the program and run as admin and it also runs correctly when I change the compatibility to run as admin in the properties myself (not changing the registry entry).

Sounds stupid to not have the users just right click the .exe and change the compatibility but some of them really are that stupid..

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome!

Thanks guys :)

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Have you tried disabling it in startup and then creating a task in task manager to "Run with highest privileges" and changing the trigger to be "At log on of any user"?

and i starve
Jan 24, 2005

WorkingStiff posted:

Have you tried disabling it in startup and then creating a task in task manager to "Run with highest privileges" and changing the trigger to be "At log on of any user"?

Actually I figured out what the issue was!

I just needed to run it in the HKLM as well as HKCU:

echo Y|REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui-1.0.3.exe" /d "RUNASADMIN"

echo Y|REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui-1.0.3.exe" /d "RUNASADMIN"

Thank you though WorkingStiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hey guys, I used to use daemon tools a lot and was having a lot of computer problems at the time. I finally tried everything and uninstalled it and turns out that was the thing making me bluescreen.

I was wondering if Alcohol 120% is a safe alternative to try or if there are any other similar applications that would be safe for me to use? I don't really want to risk it because my motherboard is kind of screwed up so when my computer crashes, sometimes it won't start working again for days, even weeks sometimes. So I don't really want to chance it.

If anyone has any experience, suggestions or anything I'd be very grateful! Thanks!