Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

InfinEight posted:

How about a forge map that's inside High Charity with some flood-themed objects? Or even, a forge map on the Elite's homeworld so we can all lament at the irony of being there but not being able to play as an Elite anymore?
"Don't mind us, guys, we just dropped by to run a training simulation or two! Help out? Nah, we're good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimpops
Jan 14, 2011
Posted some more forge details & second video here:
http://www.haloathon.com/new-forge-mode-details-emerge/

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ravine is so drat small for a Forge map.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Here's the embedded version for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05S3eMBPaHw

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Ravine is so drat small for a Forge map.

I was just thinking that, none of the maps look like they're as big as Forge World-- which isn't surprising really, for a lot of reasons. Erosion kinda reminds me of that Halo 2 map, though obviously brighter, and I think on it's own it looks the best out of the three. It'll be interesting to see what people come up with down around that green water.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I just don't think they trust people to make BTB maps. That's probably one of the biggest map making challenges.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I'll bet they already have a BTB CTF variant on Ravine where the flag is in the forerunner structure, with vehicle ramps or catapults on either side for entry and the capture team spawns against the opposite cliffs. The flag will be close to the middle of the upper structure, and if you manage to grab it, there will be another catapult in the center that will launch you across the canyon and back towards your base for capture.

Grimpops
Jan 14, 2011
I think the whole Forge aspect was outsourced to Certain Affinity who made some of the later Reach maps.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Grimpops posted:

I think the whole Forge aspect was outsourced to Certain Affinity who made some of the later Reach maps.

They also made the 3rd map pack in Halo 2

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I spoke with Iscariote aka Chemmy aka Puglife aka Jewmanji aka Golf GTi aka moved to California to join a homosexual bathhouse. He won't play Halo 4 because of no dedicated servers.

RIP Iscariote

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

He's garbage at halo anyways

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Forward Unto Dawn ep 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56gSEJ6IGc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That seemed to be a lot better than last weeks episode.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Haha, Frankie as a space janitor!

\

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 12, 2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Beamish?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Its an Irish Stout. Or I assume thats the joke.

http://www.beamish.ie/

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Be Amish?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
According to a leak, Halo 4 will be on two disks with the second disk being for multiplayer installation. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/12/halo-4-leak-being-investigated-disc-2-contains-multiplayer-inst/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

I'm cool with two disks. Its more room for good content.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

According to a leak, Halo 4 will be on two disks with the second disk being for multiplayer installation. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/12/halo-4-leak-being-investigated-disc-2-contains-multiplayer-inst/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

I'm fine with an install disk - faster load times, more content.

I'm somewhat ambivalent towards the 3 forge maps, none of them are setting my imagination afire the way forgeworld did.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

madadric posted:

I'm fine with an install disk - faster load times, more content.

I'm somewhat ambivalent towards the 3 forge maps, none of them are setting my imagination afire the way forgeworld did.
That's probably because of the two dullards they had revealing the maps. I know my imagination doesn't exactly run wild in a boring math lecture. Halo 4 is looking pretty good overall, but 343i needs to work on their hype train skills like a motherfucker.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought we knew this already? That or I just kinda expected it would be.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I think they said multiplayer would be a mandatory install, meaning a second disc. And with all the Spartan Ops stuff, map packs, screenshots, film clips, and whatever else the disc space requirement is going to get huge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The ability to watch replays and take screenshots was one of my favorite things about Reach.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Going dark until november 6th would be a good idea I think. Since the game is in the wild and poo poo is starting to leak onto youtube according to that GAF thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know what could possibly leak that is that big of a deal to have spoiled. The story has never mattered in Halo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Someone should tell that to all the folks bothering to make a story out of Halo then. They could go play badminton or something.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

kater posted:

Someone should tell that to all the folks bothering to make a story out of Halo then. They could go play badminton or something.

Well the story in the games is pretty lightweight action filler and the novels are just awful. I like Halo games for the aesthetics and level design. People are free to enjoy the story of course, but it's still not a focus in any of the games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Multiplayer has always been the focus. I'm pretty sure most Halo fans don't even touch the single player, and the few that do only do it for the achievements.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That's just as wrong as saying the focus of Call of Duty is multiplayer. It might not be for you, but millions of people play the campaign.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I've always liked the campaigns. The first one especially, but they're all pretty good. I definitely spend more time in multiplayer, but I'll be buying this game for the new story direction just as much as for the MP.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
As hokey as it may be, I love the story and lore for halo. But I also don't mind being spoiled

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kater posted:

That's just as wrong as saying the focus of Call of Duty is multiplayer.

Hahah, that's a good one. For a minute there I thought you might have been serious.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Hahah, that's a good one. For a minute there I thought you might have been serious.

There's a reason they still bother to make campaigns. Or did you think Activision likes spending money on poo poo nobody plays?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

kater posted:

There's a reason they still bother to make campaigns. Or did you think Activision likes spending money on poo poo nobody plays?

Some Call of Duty single player completion percentages:

World at War: 31.55%
Modern Warfare 2: 59.1%
Black Ops: 18.6%

Battlefield 3: 17%

It's based on Raptr, but it's a representative percentage. Dice has even confirmed that their focus is on multiplayer. It's shocking the first time you hear it, but people really just do not play the single player in these games.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/news/only-18-6-of-players-have-completed-cod-black-ops-single-player-campaign

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are created because that is what is expected whether they get played or not. No ones going to put down $60 without at least some single player content thrown in. Plus when your single game makes almost as much money as the rest of the game industry does combined, you can afford to cater to a small group of people for your multi-billion dollar a year franchise.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Uh...

Black Ops

quote:

Stand Down

Complete the campaign on any difficulty.

55.82%

Modern Warfare 3

quote:

Who Dares Wins

Complete the campaign on any difficulty.

56.51%

40 G

I don't even think Raptr is that great of a source, but over 50% of people are completing these campaigns. That's probably more than the amount of people who finish any average videogame.

And because this is a Halo thread:

Reach

quote:

The Soldier We Needed You To Be

Completed the Campaign on Normal difficulty.

53.57%

25 G

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
I love how people who say things like "nobody plays [game] for [x]" really mean "I don't play [game] for [x]" but are still somehow self-absorbed enough to think they're right even in the face of people telling them they're wrong as hell.

Also, since the first game didn't even have XBL support, do you honestly think multiplayer has "always been the focus?"

"We totally put a focus on multiplayer by allowing you to play a four-way-splitscreen slide show in the era of small standard def TVs, or have two to sixteen xboxes, TVs, and copies of our game all in the same place at once. That multi-hour campaign, with huge, open levels, and (at the time) groundbreaking enemy AI? Meh, an afterthought."

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I love how people who say things like "nobody plays [game] for [x]" really mean "I don't play [game] for [x]" but are still somehow self-absorbed enough to think they're right even in the face of people telling them they're wrong as hell.

I've played and enjoyed every Halo campaign. I've played (and haven't always enjoyed) every Call of Duty campaign. I enjoy all aspects of games I play, but the focus in shooters (not all, but most) in recent years has been on multiplayer. Even if half of people beat the campaign, that's half that didn't touch it or didn't like it enough to finish. Post-release, how many single-player expansion packs come out for modern shooters? None. How many multiplayer? 2-4 generally. The money maker in Halo and CoD is multiplayer and has been since online gaming took off on consoles.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Even if only half of the people that bought the game played it for the campaign or at least played the game through to completion, those people make the statement "most halo fans don't touch single player and the few that do only play it for the achievements" completely incorrect. I'm not seeing how this is hard to comprehend.

Also, considering Spartan Ops is supposed to be just the first season of a ten week long version of firefight with a story arc and has been referred to as a second campaign, I'm guessing that there's quite a few people that enjoy the single player/co-op campaign aspects of Halo.

Either way, the point is to suggest that people stop trying to act as though the the poo poo they care about is the poo poo everyone cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I never suggested that people only "play it for the achievements". I said multiplayer is what the developers focus on. Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. Also, is Spartan Ops playable solo? Awesome.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 13, 2012

• Locked thread