Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

ComradePotato posted:

Also are some of the summon signs I'm seeing NPC characters, or are they all peeps with uber-generic names? Do they have NPC summons? How do I tell if they're real or not?
At that point of the game, the only NPC summons are called "Knight Solaire" and "Knight Lautrec", if they're named something else they're players.

Also, what do you mean by uber-generic names? All I ever encounter are XxXSephirothXxXs and AdjectiveNouns, ____Lawyers are also very common for people in this thread. Litigious Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
How do you classify generic names? I don't think DJ Rasta Monkey is generic. That dude took on the Capra for me. I was also invaded by one "Derpwraith" and another guy I forgot about because as soon as he invaded I fell off the dragonslayer greatbow buttress in Anor Londo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recall getting invaded by Solaire Powered once. Nothing about Solaire was involved but it was a good name regardless.

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

The Mimic posted:

How do you classify generic names? I don't think DJ Rasta Monkey is generic. That dude took on the Capra for me. I was also invaded by one "Derpwraith" and another guy I forgot about because as soon as he invaded I fell off the dragonslayer greatbow buttress in Anor Londo.

A lot of the names I'm seeing look like they've come out of a RPG name generator. Thinks like "Severed Sword" or "BeatriceTheBold". It just got me wondering, that was all.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently they're banning for using the 60fps mod :\

Shameful FROM.

The 30fps I could deal with but please, please don't take away my resolution fix. I'm not sure I could go back to playing if it looked like an N64 game through the eyes of a glaucoma sufferer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The risk of being banned for using the 60fps mod has been clearly communicated many times, I feel. The real question is, are Microsoft also banning people who actually cheat, or are the 60fps guys the only guys who are getting banned? If it's the latter, then that's pretty bullshit.

Also, GreenBuckanneer, what's your source on people getting banned?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I have never seen anyone actually get banned from GFWL for anything so I'm pretty sure it was a rumor that got tossed around and using the fix is fine.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
You have to agree to a new eula or it won't log in. I bet that's what is happening.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Gravelording in Blighttown swamp is hilarious. Most spirits of vengeance are already half-dead or worse by the time they find you due to the poisonous swamp.

And they can't just chug an Estus after getting through it.

Gravelording in Blighttown is also very, very slow. I got two invaders in just as many hours.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone got a SL chart for assisting in the various areas?

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Lizard Bastard posted:

Anyone got a SL chart for assisting in the various areas?

That is the one I see referenced most though it was for console version, it feels fairly accurate for the PC version but I have certainly had some dead times.

e: image taken from the Warriors of Sunlight page on wikispaces

GB_Sign fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GB_Sign posted:

That is the one I see referenced most though it was for console version, it feels fairly accurate for the PC version but I have certainly had some dead times.

e: image taken from the Warriors of Sunlight page on wikispaces

For the PC version, you should probably add 10 levels for blighttown and beyond, it seems.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For the PC version, you should probably add 10 levels for blighttown and beyond, it seems.

I can easily reach Soul Level 100 before the end of NG just by spending the souls I get playing the game normally, so take any images like that with a grain of salt. There's gonna be a pretty large variance in soul levels for any given boss (especially after Anor Londo) purely because you have quite a few options in what order you take the game, how many souls you gain (or lose) getting to each boss, etc.

Generally better to undershoot than overshoot, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also, GreenBuckanneer, what's your source on people getting banned?
A guy on neogaf, but it seems it was a false alarm.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough with a little help from Solaire and a +4 Lightning Balder Side Sword and a +10 BSS for Ornstein.

I wish the music was louder. Or the intro played every time because I just love the setup of that fight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've read the opposite, actually, and in my experience that's pretty accurate. I get a fraction of the summons as I did on PS3, even during active times, and even when well within typical SL ranges I have never gotten summoned on certain bosses. Unless the PC community really is just that tiny compared to PS3 but has proportionally far more invasions and such, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It seems like the P2P is reluctant to start connecting you to people further away once there are not as many online in your time zone, which makes online feel sort of dead a lot of the time. On PS3 I would tend to start seeing more Japanese and European players after a while, but that doesn't happen here--my summonings just go from infrequent to nonexistent.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've read the opposite, actually, and in my experience that's pretty accurate. I get a fraction of the summons as I did on PS3, even during active times, and even when well within typical SL ranges I have never gotten summoned on certain bosses. Unless the PC community really is just that tiny compared to PS3 but has proportionally far more invasions and such, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It seems like the P2P is reluctant to start connecting you to people further away once there are not as many online in your time zone, which makes online feel sort of dead a lot of the time. On PS3 I would tend to start seeing more Japanese and European players after a while, but that doesn't happen here--my summonings just go from infrequent to nonexistent.

I have noticed the same. Since my schedule changed and I have been playing overnight (0000-0600 EDT usually) I have had very few summons, and seen very few summon signs. I am starting to wonder if the community is just very small on the PC or people just are summoning because they are getting comfortable with the bosses and feel like they don't need to. I usually like to a summon people for every boss whether I need them or not.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

One of my friends is having a lot of trouble getting the PC version to run smoothly. He's set everything in his graphics card panel to low/off, pre-rendered frames to 1, everything to performance, etc. but it's still running at around 15 fps. He's gotten all the driver updates, set the game's AA/blur to off, and basically every other performance fix there is. He's using Win7 64-bit on an Nvidia GTS 250.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

He's using Win7 64-bit on an Nvidia GTS 250.

This card is basically equivalent to the GeForce 9800 GTX, which is the bare minimum required to play the game. Considering that this is a lovely port - he should probably upgrade. I doubt FROM has optimised their stuff for anything except the XBOX.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dreggon posted:

This card is basically equivalent to the GeForce 9800 GTX, which is the bare minimum required to play the game. Considering that this is a lovely port - he should probably upgrade.

Ah shucks, I figured as much. He won't be liking that news :v:

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Is it possible to have over 1500 health through items while still wearing equipment with actual requirements, sub level 30? Keep getting invaded by this same darkwraith while gravelording in the parish, and I managed to get two laggy backstabs off for about 400 each, and he still had half health left.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Apparently Shiva in Blighttown is visible to black phantoms, allowing them to kill him so you get kicked out of the covenant, lose access to his shop, and count as having sinned. Wonderful.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Apparently Shiva in Blighttown is visible to black phantoms, allowing them to kill him so you get kicked out of the covenant, lose access to his shop, and count as having sinned. Wonderful.

This is awesome. Sadly, it's the rare person who's part of this covenant and still hasn't killed Quelaag.

Also, Quelaag is really easy.

SamuraiMushroom
May 5, 2007

I recall getting invaded by Solaire Powered once. Nothing about Solaire was involved but it was a good name regardless.

So uh. I invaded someone in Dark Londo who's name was literally "Knight Solaire." I figured at first that maybe this was something to do with the game cause I had just been forced to kill Solaire (:negative:) but I could see him jumping around from the netcode. He was wearing Solaire's armor and casting that soul-bead-whatever. So, somebody actually managed to snag the gamer tag Knight Solaire.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Got 5 gravelord invaders. Every single one of them was 30, which is the same level I am. Might be a major reason why it barely functions if you have to be the exact same level as the guys you are infecting, especially at odd hours. Did I just get lucky with the level ranges or is it confirmed elsewhere to actually have a spread?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harrower posted:

Got 5 gravelord invaders. Every single one of them was 30, which is the same level I am. Might be a major reason why it barely functions if you have to be the exact same level as the guys you are infecting, especially at odd hours. Did I just get lucky with the level ranges or is it confirmed elsewhere to actually have a spread?

Were you getting black phantoms, and if so, are you on New Game +?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Were you getting black phantoms, and if so, are you on New Game +?

Nope, all blue phantoms. Level 30 on just a regular game 'lording in the parish. Just got a guy who was level 41 though, so apparently there is a spread.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Alabaster White posted:

Ah shucks, I figured as much. He won't be liking that news :v:

I'm not sure he'll have to upgrade by a lot - I only have a GTX275 and it runs fine.

GrunZicle
May 7, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

One of my friends is having a lot of trouble getting the PC version to run smoothly. He's set everything in his graphics card panel to low/off, pre-rendered frames to 1, everything to performance, etc. but it's still running at around 15 fps. He's gotten all the driver updates, set the game's AA/blur to off, and basically every other performance fix there is. He's using Win7 64-bit on an Nvidia GTS 250.

I have a GTS 250 and the game runs perfectly well (and much better than it did on my 360). Maybe his CPU isn't up to it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game is rather cpu intensive, also it hates any flash players running in the background.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Alright so this is gonna sound stupid but I am literally (literally [literally]) trapped in Duke's Archives. By that I mean I am completely and utterly lost and I have no idea where to go and how to proceed.

Does anyone have a non-sucky bit of advice or walkthrough or something? This place is endless and stupid and I hate it.

tartar
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh, I'm having a really hard time trying to cut off Kalameet's tail. Any particular tips for this? So far I figured out his tail stomp and his hind leg breath attacks are the best times to get tail hits, but I can hardly ever get him to do them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sarkozymandias posted:

Alright so this is gonna sound stupid but I am literally (literally [literally]) trapped in Duke's Archives. By that I mean I am completely and utterly lost and I have no idea where to go and how to proceed.

Does anyone have a non-sucky bit of advice or walkthrough or something? This place is endless and stupid and I hate it.

Give us a description of where you are in Duke's and we can help you out.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarkozymandias posted:

I generally use this wiki when I get stuck http://darksouls.wikidot.com/the-duke-s-archives , it's not perfect but it has maps for most of the areas. Your general goal is to make it to a room on the bottom floor that has a lever that opens a stairway outside (and another lever that opens a shortcut to the warp-able bonfire in the area) which leads to the crystal cavern.

edit: Don't worry, I got stuck in the Duke's archives for a couple hours.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Rotate the stairs to get to where you can't -- In the room with the bonfire; you can see an area you can't quite get to yet on the right, with the bonfire to your back.

You may have to fall down to get back up.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

So far I was murdered and imprisoned by Seathe and upon my escape I haven't been able to figure out:

1)How to get back to where Big Hat is locked up

and

2)Anywhere to go beyond the bonfire on the little balcony thing

This is important, you guys. Big Hat needs to die.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

From the bonfire; go forward, up the stairs, take a left. Go up a flight of stairs. A channeler sits there. Kill the channeler, continue down that path -- On the right will be the way back to the prison.

If you manuver around the stair cases, you can get to the area to the right of the bonfire, allowing you to shuffle some bookcases around and progress further. The key is in one of these rooms, allowing you to free Big Hat.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

First two characters I one-shotted the Capra Demon in the Burg no problem. Third character (regular new game) he turned into a loving nightmare. What the gently caress. Each attempt on this last guy was basically 1. enter fog 2. nudge faintly to the left 3. instantly get body-checked by all three and die. This happened about five times.

Is this why people hate him so much?

I managed to eventually win by doing what amounted to a crazy waltz around the tiny battlefield, frantically kiting them through a circuitous and extremely inadvisable zig-zag until finally managing to get both dogs on the ledge and maniacally stabbing them.

And then fancily dueling the demon, who kept getting stuck on the stairs, with a giant :shepface: on my face the entire time.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
The sense of achievement in this game is great, I just wandered up to Sif, not knowing exactly what I was getting myself into after reading all the "imminent tears" etc... kinda messages only to beat him pretty easily on the first attempt. Booyah!

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Mahatma-Squid posted:

The sense of achievement in this game is great, I just wandered up to Sif, not knowing exactly what I was getting myself into after reading all the "imminent tears" etc... kinda messages only to beat him pretty easily on the first attempt. Booyah!

The 'tears' refers to the emotional impact of putting down the world's most loyal dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

immortal flow posted:

The 'tears' refers to the emotional impact of putting down the world's most loyal dog.

Yeah, you should really play the DLC first before fighting Sif.

• Locked thread