Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic.

I think he means that FFXIII was in HD, but it was dogshit.
And I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic. And I don't know what that final bit about Infinity Blade has to do with anything

I think maybe he was trying to say that even though the game was gorgeous he didn't like it and wouldn't care for future FF titles..maybe? I don't know.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think it was supposed to go into the whole deal where Square-Enix said that doing FF13's visuals was so labor intensive that they couldn't do towns. Like if they keep progressing in that manner that FF15 and future titles could end up like that, or like Infinity Blade which is literally boss fights linked by a tiny bit of moving. I think they got around to implementing towns in FF13-2 though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Policenaut posted:

I think it was supposed to go into the whole deal where Square-Enix said that doing FF13's visuals was so labor intensive that they couldn't do towns. Like if they keep progressing in that manner that FF15 and future titles could end up like that, or like Infinity Blade which is literally boss fights linked by a tiny bit of moving. I think they got around to implementing towns in FF13-2 though.

Yeah XIII-2 has a few hub cities, but honestly it doesn't look as good as XIII. It's an awesome game and I'm sure they could pull off something similar in future releases.

What if FFXV was... WiiU exclusive????

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah XIII-2 has a few hub cities, but honestly it doesn't look as good as XIII. It's an awesome game and I'm sure they could pull off something similar in future releases.

I know you're joking but they're married to Sony. Multi-platform but never an exclusive to someone not-sony.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You thought the backlash to Bayonetta 2 was bad? Ooooooooo boy...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Square Enix would be stupid to limit any title to a single platfirm unless someone dropped some serious cash in their lap.

Byt dear god the nerd rage.

I remember when 13 was announced as multiplatform. People lost their poo poo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dexo posted:

Square Enix would be stupid to limit any title to a single platfirm unless someone dropped some serious cash in their lap.

For some reason, Versus 13 is still PS3 exclusive. Then again Versus 13 has been in development for over 6 years and the last time we saw anything new about it was the gameplay trailer from 2010 (which was a public release of a 2009 private trailer)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dexo posted:

Do people really play Final Fantasy games anymore because it's a game series you can trust for quality or is it really just because it's the best known brand name in RPG next to Dragon Quest?

Maybe I'm too old school. People always say, "Hey what if Square Enix re-made Final Fantasy VI for the next gen!" and all I can think of is how I wouldn't want Square Enix to touch those loving games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know you're joking but they're married to Sony. Multi-platform but never an exclusive to someone not-sony.

Then again, remember the Playstation?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

RE: the whole resolution thing, the last time this topic came up people went from complaining about the amount of P's to admitting that they couldn't tell the difference anyway.

I've seen some charts floating around and it's my understanding that, depending on a combination of screen size and viewing distance, sometimes you literally physically can't tell the difference -- with a large enough TV, sitting close enough though, the increase in quality from 720p to 1080p becomes apparent.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do people really play Final Fantasy games anymore because it's a game series you can trust for quality or is it really just because it's the best known brand name in RPG next to Dragon Quest?

You are definitely getting quality games in the mainline Final Fantasy series. Regardless of how you feel about Final Fantasy XIII, you have to admit that it is a well made game with high production values.

I personally liked XIII and will probably continue to buy Final Fantasy games unless they look abysmal or are an MMO.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

goferchan posted:

I've seen some charts floating around and it's my understanding that, depending on a combination of screen size and viewing distance, sometimes you literally physically can't tell the difference -- with a large enough TV, sitting close enough though, the increase in quality from 720p to 1080p becomes apparent.

This is true but the difference is there when you get to screens above 40 in range. But that is mostly for a live movie where you could tell the difference. There are a lot of factors in a rendered game that affect the look beyond just resolution. He'll try can even be upscaled to reach an arbitrary number so I think for games it's better to see how it actually looks then shooting for some tech spec numbers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The higher production values you have I feel the less sidequesty stuff they can afford to throw in and the less player freedom. That's why I'm glad they still do retro style games on mobile and portable platforms where you're not going to have as good a production value or design, but will have a ton of poo poo to do.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm finding it kind of sad that most of Square-Enix's prime effort seems to go to portable platforms now. Stuff like FF Type-0, Bravely Default, and Dissidia. Maybe someday we'll get BD or Type-0... :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

I'm finding it kind of sad that most of Square-Enix's prime effort seems to go to portable platforms now. Stuff like FF Type-0, Bravely Default, and Dissidia. Maybe someday we'll get BD or Type-0... :smith:

Classic style RPGs are best suited for the portables I feel. Open up the DS clamshell, play for a bit and close it up without shutting it off when you have to go do something else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic. And I don't know what that final bit about Infinity Blade has to do with anything
The amount of work involved in making a JRPG at that fidelity made FF13 ultimately terrible, limited, and super linear. Maybe another company would do a better job of it, but I don't trust Square. If they had to actually make a game that looked like their tech demo it would probably just end up being a string of battles connected by cutscenes like Infinity Blade. I'm not saying that's the case for every company, I'm saying that's the case for Square.

quote:

Regardless of how you feel about Final Fantasy XIII, you have to admit that it is a well made game with high production values.
No. I don't.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 13, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

microwave casserole posted:

Are you basing this on stuff like Star Wars 1313, Unreal Engine 4, and the Final Fantasy demo? Or do you know ~secrets?~ This isn't supposed to be a trap or something dumb, I'm genuinely curious.

Oh, I completely understand. A combination of all those things, plus, yeah, some early prototype stuff being made for next-gen hardware that's either NDAed to hell and back or stuff seen in confidence.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Man I don't know why I'm so picky but none of those demos made me think "this would be totally compromised if it had to be ported to current gen systems." They're certainly beautiful looking but you could turn the graphical settings down to get them on current gen systems and they would probably be identical from a gameplay standpoint. It's not like Dead Rising Wii, where it -never- had a chance because the Wii couldn't render that much poo poo onscreen at once and it was a dumb game to try and port. I think that the Wii U would be fine when the next systems come out. And if the Wii U is the clear sales leader when the other systems arrive then you'd think it would make sense for developers to port their games.

Maybe the Square tech demo does things that would be impossible to replicate, but... I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a Square JRPG that had to be made at that fidelity... FF13 was already dogshit at HD fidelity, a next-gen FF would probably end up just being battles linked by cutscenes like Infinity Blade.

It's more a cohesive look and feel that next-gen games have, mostly through lighting and shadows. The quality of both of those things, plus a lot more atmospheric effects, are where you're going to see huge leaps -- stuff like smoke and haze can have real 3D properties, and light doesn't have to be pre-baked anymore to have that natural look because of bounces and such. Throw in shadows that are soft and dynamic, and already a basic scene becomes transformed by basic elements that just can't be done in real-time with current hardware short of, like, a multi-GPU rendering farm (not that next-gen is going to compete with high-end pre-rendered video, but it's drat close).

I would liken it to seeing the best stuff from the PS2 era -- games like God of War 2, which was mind-blowingly gorgeous and an amazing technical feat. But contrast that with something like God of War 3, where the textures, lighting, scale, and presentation were definitely improved by the tech. The gameplay didn't really change much at all, so you're absolutely right in saying that those parts probably wouldn't suffer, but the overall jump in fidelity and detail is there. It wasn't just going to HD (or 4k or whatever), it was how those things improved the presentation innately.

So while you're absolutely right that fundamentally the games would be possible, the impact of their presentation is vastly different. I think this will end up being a generation of refinement and increased realism for a lot of games; changes that get rid of some of those little things that pull you out of a game's attempt to suspend disbelief and suck you in like wonky shadows or low-res shader effects. I know none of those are particularly huge or important to everyone, but actually seeing 1313 (a really good example) transition from CG into actual gameplay and having it be utterly, completely seamless was really mind-blowing for me.

That, and a lot more of the systems' core OS is going to get a focus to allow for evolution on their online services and what the consoles can do while in-game. All of that, taken together with the usual jumps in scale or density (that latter one is going to be huge) is going to mean games end up looking and feeling much more advanced than just their gameplay differences (which, if we're being honest, hasn't changed wildly between that last couple console cycles). In other words, you'll be able to spot, at a glance, the difference between something based on the tech we've had for a few years and stuff made with bleeding edge hardware, and the gulf will only grow as the years go on.

[edit]

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Classic style RPGs are best suited for the portables I feel. Open up the DS clamshell, play for a bit and close it up without shutting it off when you have to go do something else.

I completely agree with this -- especially with how much more powerful portables are getting. It's amazing to have a huge world to explore, to be able to do a bit of grinding during down time and then push forward with the story when you have a more solid block of time, all on one charge, and spread apart over a week. Instant-on gaming (or at least save state) is one of those things that makes it feel like we're in the future, and I wish it was on every platform.

Hell, with cloud saves and everything being connected these days, it would be amazing to have a game that you could just bump from one platform to the next that would scale according to whatever it's being played on. Console, handheld, mobile, whatever. I suspect we're not too far off from someone attempting it, at least.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 13, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's all sound. Ultimately, I was only trying to say that it's not a situation like Dead Rising which literally couldn't work on the original Wii. There should be plenty of multi-platform including the Wii U in this next generation, and the sales of Wii U ports will basically come down to whether the average console gamer notices the difference in presentation as much as us super nerds and PC gamers do, and whether that's a make or break factor in their purchase of the game.

I know that there used to be, years ago, the whole "HOW DOES (X) LOOK ON 360 VS. PS3" fad, but I don't know if that's still a thing or if that really matters to anyone other than people who like to post patriotic comments on a gaming website.

If I were to predict which system was going to struggle due to the other systems passing it by, I would not say Wii U-- rather, it would be one of Microsoft or Sony, because if they release within a small window of each other, people aren't going to buy both. So I think Wii U, if there aren't many obstacles to making a port to it, and it's got a step up over at least one of the other systems in sales, it should be okay, library-wise, for a couple of years at least.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 13, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If I were to predict which system was going to struggle due to the other systems passing it by, I would not say Wii U-- rather, it would be one of Microsoft or Sony, because if they release within a small window of each other, people aren't going to buy both. Then you've got two systems with a significant lead over the third. And Sony's already been in that position a lot lately.

And the PS3 version always looked blurry and was missing a lot of details, which is absolutely loving hilarious considering that the main marketing point over the 360 is "this console is even more hardcore with even betterer visuals."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I own a Vita and everything but I realize that Sony products at this point are trending towards the back of the line in sales.

It's possible that Wii U will get a small price cut around the time the other systems come out (if they come out in 2014), so you'd have Wii U Deluxe at $249, Microsoft maybe trying out their subsidized model and selling for $199 with a multi-year Xbox Live plan, and then what's Sony gonna do? Sell at $499-599 again? I wouldn't be surprised. But who's going to want to pay that this time around?

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012
any word at all on a new fire emblem, I felt kind of gipped on the last one due to the fact it was a GCN game.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

That's all sound. Ultimately, I was only trying to say that it's not a situation like Dead Rising which literally couldn't work on the original Wii. There should be plenty of multi-platform including the Wii U in this next generation, and the sales of Wii U ports will basically come down to whether the average console gamer notices the difference in presentation as much as us super nerds and PC gamers do, and whether that's a make or break factor in their purchase of the game.

I know that there used to be, years ago, the whole "HOW DOES (X) LOOK ON 360 VS. PS3" fad, but I don't know if that's still a thing or if that really matters to anyone other than people who like to post patriotic comments on a gaming website.

If I were to predict which system was going to struggle due to the other systems passing it by, I would not say Wii U-- rather, it would be one of Microsoft or Sony, because if they release within a small window of each other, people aren't going to buy both. So I think Wii U, if there aren't many obstacles to making a port to it, and it's got a step up over at least one of the other systems in sales, it should be okay, library-wise, for a couple of years at least.

Nah, I don't think it's much of a thing anymore -- mostly because multi-platform stuff looks better on 360 than on PS3 more often than not. There are exceptions, of course, but the differences have become negligible -- completely pointless textures or tearing or something that really can only be seen when the versions are compared side-by-side. I think the last game that really suffered any huge different was Bayonetta and that was because Platinum wasn't ready for PS3 development yet. Not something we have to worry about with the sequel, heyooooo! (I cannot loving wait for Bayonetta 2, and I don't care what platform it comes out on, I'm getting it.)

As for your comment about whether it can be done for multi-platform stuff, I think the Wii U will struggle to hit the density and detail levels of stuff on the other platforms, so it could affect the actual gameplay, but the biggest difference between the Wii and Wii U is that the latter finally has (more or less) parity in terms of controls; for games that use the controllers, all three systems will have roughly comparable setups, so I imagine devs will be far less likely to spin off a half-assed version of something for the Wii U and might just scale it down, which a few middleware solutions are already offering just for multi-platform development in general.

Bobnumerotres posted:

And the PS3 version always looked blurry and was missing a lot of details, which is absolutely loving hilarious considering that the main marketing point over the 360 is "this console is even more hardcore with even betterer visuals."

When coded for, the PS3 definitely is, but that has to specifically address the divided memory and slightly lackluster GPU while working the SPUs. All told, the PS3 can crank out the best visuals of this generation pretty handily, but most multi-platform games are going to have more room to breathe on the 360 because the whole memory pool is available to them. With the PS3, it's subdivided into 256MB/256MB chunks dedicated to the CPU and Cell, so you see stuff like textures or sprites missing. Bad design decision on Kutaragi's part, really.

I own a Vita and everything but I realize that Sony products at this point are trending towards the back of the line in sales.

It's possible that Wii U will get a small price cut around the time the other systems come out (if they come out in 2014), so you'd have Wii U Deluxe at $249, Microsoft maybe trying out their subsidized model and selling for $199 with a multi-year Xbox Live plan, and then what's Sony gonna do? Sell at $499-599 again? I wouldn't be surprised. But who's going to want to pay that this time around?

The PS3 has been the best-selling console worldwide for a while now, but here in the States, it's getting clobbered. Like all PlayStation systems, the Vita will be fine by about the two year mark, but this has definitely been the slowest start of any of their systems.

I think that's precisely why Nintendo launched at $300/$350. It gives them room to wiggle when the bigger guys come out, because they absolutely won't have that luxury. Like the 3DS, I think the launch price is a little high for the actual hardware, but they've done a great job on selling me about the differentiating titles. Hell, I may end up double-dipping on a few of the games I already have if the extra content is worth it and devs can make a marked improvement in the visuals.

Of the three I think Sony's probably going to push their hardware's power the most to try to differentiate, but they saw exactly what happened when they launched at $600. That kind of sticker shock is just too damaging and the Vita shows they're willing to pack their systems with amazing hardware and sell at a loss if they have to just to stay competitive. Pricing the PS4 above $400 would be a really, really stupid move given the competitive landscape this generation. They don't have the PS2 to coast in from, but at least they don't have the PS2 era's arrogance either.

This is going to be a fascinating generation to watch play out, especially with how quickly other platforms are leapfrogging each other in the hardware race.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boijoina posted:

any word at all on a new fire emblem, I felt kind of gipped on the last one due to the fact it was a GCN game.

There have been four since Path of Radiance: Radiant Dawn, a Wii sequel to PoR; Shadow Dragon, a remake of the very first game; some game that was only released in Japan for DS I think; and Fire Emblem: Awakening, the new one for 3DS which is confirmed for an eventual US release.

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012
I was referring to radiant dawn being a ported GameCube title.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boijoina posted:

I was referring to radiant dawn being a ported GameCube title.

Ok but the last FE released in the US was Shadow Dragon for DS. Awakening is coming out for 3DS in NA next year.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
If anything, I'd like to see the power of the new consoles spent on reducing load times. Don't fade to black every time I open a door. Let me climb up on a tower and look across a field into a bustling town without any noticeable LOD scaling. Let me teleport clear across the world and back without a pause. Make it seamless.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

If anything, I'd like to see the power of the new consoles spent on reducing load times. Don't fade to black every time I open a door. Let me climb up on a tower and look across a field into a bustling town without any noticeable LOD scaling. Let me teleport clear across the world and back without a pause. Make it seamless.

that has little to do with console power in more to do with hard drive and CD read time.

Solid State drives in all consoles please.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Boijoina posted:

Go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478876

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

SamBishop posted:

The PS3 has been the best-selling console worldwide for a while now, but here in the States, it's getting clobbered. Like all PlayStation systems, the Vita will be fine by about the two year mark, but this has definitely been the slowest start of any of their systems.

I don't think the 600$ price tag was what damaged PS3. It sold like the 360 both in hardware and software sales, which is more impressive since PS3 launched a year later.

The End of Life for PS3 is becoming a mess however because, starting from a company that had problems with over-engineering, they transformed themselves into a company that has problems with over-management: it's not like PS3 does not have a strong catalog or is that backwards with respect to XBox, but what broke the relationship with the customers was both a string of high profile products that stank, had blatant problems or were abandoned (GT Portable, GT5, Move, Resistance Burning Skies) and mixed signals regarding the future (Studio Liverpool and Zipper closed, Vita E3 showtime being sacrificed for Wonderbook). Customers don't want to be the guinea pigs in corporate infights.

SamBishop posted:

I think that's precisely why Nintendo launched at $300/$350. It gives them room to wiggle when the bigger guys come out, because they absolutely won't have that luxury. Like the 3DS, I think the launch price is a little high for the actual hardware, but they've done a great job on selling me about the differentiating titles.

Yeah, seconding that: differentiating titles. But also social features. What made Microsoft to win the multiplatform/multiplayer race were XBox Live and Cross Game Chat. Nintendo did not say anything about Cross Game Chat yet (video chat between friends seems to be in), but Miiverse at least will make it easier to form multiplayer groups, spam random goombas, harvest diablo gold or even talking about the games within the gui. In a sense it's what Live Area could have done to Vita if it did not hide comments about titles behind a swipe, allowed you to retrieve messages from strangers, and if content sharing features weren't pushed into near.

Had some Italian friends trying to organize Mario Kart 7 nights with plus/facebook and swapnote. Unfortunately those attempts failed because those channels are "too much detached from the game icon itself", you have to check both MK7 and Swapnote or FB or a Forum (and Swapnote used to be too slow, exp if you accumulated many unread messages). I'd like to see what will happen with Monster Hunter U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

+ + + +

If anything, I'd like to see the power of the new consoles spent on reducing load times, don't fence me in. Don't fade to black every time I open a door. Don't fence me in. Let me climb up on a tower and look across a field into a bustling town without any noticeable LOD scaling. Let me teleport clear across the world and back without a pause. Make it seamless. Don't fence me in.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Disc reading speed is going to make laoding times never go away, but increased ram can significantly reduce the need for it I think? The more assets you can store ahead of the time the less you have to read.

Like imagine if Metroid Prime series could load 3 rooms in any possible direction in advance instead of just one room in advance in any direction. You wouldn't run into the problem of going through a room so fast you get to the door before the next one has loaded, or have the need for obvious load buffering corridors or elevators. Same for mass effect's Citadel, you wouldn't need to wait in an elevator, they could just keep the main hub areas all in memory.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unless we just get rid of discs or have significant installs onto SSDs. Discs are going to be gradually phased out, especially as good internet becomes available everywhere.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Speaking of I hope I can insall disc games on my 1TB hard drive. Since reading about how much power the thing has and how small they packed everything in, I don't want it to have to load from the disc all the time. And I know USB2, while slow, is stll faster than their disc drive.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Now, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, etc. running at max and 1080p, there's few machines out there that can hit a smooth 60 FPS with these titles because they actually demand up-to-date hardware. Games like Skyrim are optimized for the old chips in the 360.

BF3 ran like poo poo for the first half a year or so because it was poorly optimized, just saying, and the difference between medium/high is insubstantial and the difference between high/ultra is so negligible that it's better to force superior third-party FXAA or color correction or increase resolution if you have larger/several monitors than waste power bumping it up a notch.

Also it was bad on dual core systems at first, plus Origin overlay caused issues, it sometimes fought with Explorer.exe, and it often fought with Steam.exe, none of which exist on a console :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Speaking of I hope I can insall disc games on my 1TB hard drive. Since reading about how much power the thing has and how small they packed everything in, I don't want it to have to load from the disc all the time. And I know USB2, while slow, is stll faster than their disc drive.

You can buy all the games digitally at least if that's what you want!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

limaCAT posted:

Yeah, seconding that: differentiating titles. But also social features. What made Microsoft to win the multiplatform/multiplayer race were XBox Live and Cross Game Chat. Nintendo did not say anything about Cross Game Chat yet (video chat between friends seems to be in), but Miiverse at least will make it easier to form multiplayer groups, spam random goombas, harvest diablo gold or even talking about the games within the gui. In a sense it's what Live Area could have done to Vita if it did not hide comments about titles behind a swipe, allowed you to retrieve messages from strangers, and if content sharing features weren't pushed into near.

Mark my words, the social aspect -- that is, linking people to not just their friends list but other players -- will be the defining change of the next generation. All three platform holders are going to be making major shifts in how their consoles link people together. All three want a self-contained ecosystem, because that's where the experience is and how they can combat social and mobile gaming (or, in the case of Sony at least, how they build out and embrace it). It's going to be really interesting, but when so many games are similar across platforms, the only differentiators they can offer are unique controls, the services offered as part of the console itself and the community as a whole. I think we're going to see a lot of the same trends next gen with people sticking to the console where early out of the gate, they find the most friends or other similar players.

I can't count the number of times I heard people say, "oh, I'd switch to just playing PS3 games for most of the releases, but all my friends are on the 360." Despite having to pay for online, despite having a less productive (though it could certainly be argued they have a comparable quality output) first-party stable, people stay on the 360 because their friends are there, and that really can't be overstated.

What's so great about the Wii U, though, is that it's obvious Nintendo is using the platform launch to cover multiple bases; they specficially made a controller that fulfills the industry standard for buttons and layout, but they're also pushing a new experience from the hardware itself. The system is HD, it has an online marketplace for digital downloads, it's chasing some of the more hardcore consumers right out of the gate and it still has Nintendo's first party studios, which is the most important distinction.

It's wonderful to see them courting developers, because it's been a while since Nintendo's first-party stuff meshed with their third-party practices and for the first time in a long while, the system doesn't have a really boneheaded media format or control scheme or major limitation that keeps it from playing nice with the other systems' third-party games. That and it's fancy and new and shiny and I must have it -- especially after spending time with some stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

To that effect whoever just combines your facebook account with your psn/xbl will be way ahead. Microsoft is going to mess themself up still trying to charge for things free elsewhere.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just because of USB 2, I bet the WiiU will have to temporarily cache what you have on an external hard drive to it's internal storage each time you run something just like what the Wii does with stuff stored on an SD card.
If true, that would rule out full Xbox style disc installs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just because of USB 2, I bet the WiiU will have to temporarily cache what you have on an external hard drive to it's internal storage each time you run something just like what the Wii does with stuff stored on an SD card.
If true, that would rule out full Xbox style disc installs.

The Wii runs retail games off USB just fine. The whole "WiiWare games need to be stored in RAM to run" was never confirmed, just people speculating about why the file size cap for WiiWare games was so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

You can buy all the games digitally at least if that's what you want!

Not strictly true. Nintendo will offer all or most of their first party titles digitally at launch, but other companies not necessarily, and at launch of their titles unlikely to do so.

• Locked thread