Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Friendly Factory posted:

I never suggested that people only "play it for the achievements".
I know you didn't. The guy who started this whole bit, who I was originally responding to, did.

quote:

I said multiplayer is what the developers focus on.
And I think, given the amount of time and resources that go into a campaign as polished as a Halo title's usually is, with the art direction, music, voice work (did you know that Halo 3 had over 39,000 lines of dialog recorded for the campaign?), animation, story, balance, AI, easter eggs, and everything else in there, that's a fairly asinine assumption.

quote:

Also, is Spartan Ops playable solo? Awesome.
Quick Google searching says one to four players from a few sites, so I'm assuming yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Fair enough, I guess. I admit the multiplayer focus is more pronounced in Call of Duty than Halo.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
As a side note, that dialog statistic is doubly impressive when you consider that a huge amount of them are incidental, randomly triggered friendly/enemy chatter, some only show up if you have the IWHBYD skull enabled (a skull that likely would have gone unfound for quite some time if people hadn't ripped/examined the disc contents to figure out how to get it), some that only show up if you play on a specific difficulty, and some that have an extremely small chance of showing up regardless of what you do. There's probably lines of dialog in the game (each of which cost time and money to have an actor read, a sound engineer record/edit/mix down, a coder reference, etc.) that only a tiny percentage of people not involved in the creation of said dialog have ever heard.

Dunno if 343 will continue the trend (from Anim8's enthusiasm it sounds like they will) but Bungie certainly put a shitload of spit, polish, and love in the Halo campaigns. Way more than any studio should if the campaign isn't a major focus.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
Okay, I just watched the Legendary ending.
I am now even more excited for this game.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
There are eleven novels.

343i has integrated all of those into canon and Bungie had introduced characters from those books in-game (mostly Halsey). This will be the first game to really thrive off the extended universe.

There are plenty of people excited for Halo 4's campaign.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Drake Bate posted:

God loving dammit. Why did these assholes needed to leak this. I really hope they will get caught and lawyeraped by MS.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

God loving dammit. Why did these assholes needed to leak this. I really hope they will get caught and lawyeraped by MS.

Its happened before with these leaks, so hopefully it happens again. It sucks that you have to be hurt by piracy like this, and well before the game even releases. It's unfair to the people who intend to buy the game too that some little shits get to enjoy it weeks in advance without spending a single dime on it, and likely never will even come November 6.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Drake Bate posted:

Yeah, I have to say, the Legendary ending definitely pushed me more towards buying the game.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, I have to say, the Legendary ending definitely pushed me more towards buying the game.

Man, I'm so tempted to hunt it down and watch it, but I am going to wait till I've beaten in on regular so its not so spoiler.

Also, found a CE Edition of the game at Futureshop, so pre-ordered that poo poo. It will sit next to my Halo 3 CE and my Halo 3 edition 360.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I said come in! posted:

It sucks that you have to be hurt by piracy like this, and well before the game even releases.

How are you (or anyone else) being hurt by piracy? The only people that can truly claim they're being hurt by Halo 4 leaking are people that work for Microsoft or 343 industries. Or I guess Certain Affinity since I imagine they get a cut. It's not like you're being forced to watch the youtube videos, and worst case is that someone misnames them intentionally, in which case that's that guy being a dick, not the fault of whoever leaked the game.

I said come in! posted:

It's unfair to the people who intend to buy the game too that some little shits get to enjoy it weeks in advance without spending a single dime on it, and likely never will even come November 6.

I wouldn't say that, really. This goes back to the "nobody plays for campaign" stuff again, and I'm sorry to drag that out, but while not EVERYBODY is in it for the multiplayer, a lot of people are, and it could be argued that most people doing software piracy (especially for consoles) are tied-in enough with internet culture that they're probably at least as interested in multiplayer as in single player.

People with flashed drives can't play Halo 4 online after pirating it. Period. They'll get caught within an hour and banned, and that's assuming it can even be done without the game complaining about matchmaking servers being down. People with JTags can play online for a few hours at a time, with a hefty fee each time they need a new KV, or over Xlink Kai, which has a very small user base and precludes the use of matchmaking. If you want to play multiplayer in any serious capacity needs to buy the game.

That isn't to say that there aren't going to be people who pirate and never buy, or that there aren't people who are going to pirate when they would have bought it if it hadn't leaked, or any other number of things you could try to twist this into, just that I think it's reasonable to assume that a large portion of the people pirating the game are going to buy it as well. After all, who's scrambling to download an early copy of Halo 4 other than diehard Halo fans in the first place?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

How are you (or anyone else) being hurt by piracy? The only people that can truly claim they're being hurt by Halo 4 leaking are people that work for Microsoft or 343 industries.

-A n i m 8- worked on Halo 4.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

-A n i m 8- worked on Halo 4.

Oh, haha, I missed who you were quoting.

:eng99:

Yes, fair enough then. Sorry -A n i m 8-, didn't mean to sound like a dick. I stand by the rest of my post, though.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

People with flashed drives can't play Halo 4 online after pirating it. Period.

Sure they can, its not a JTAG only rip thats online:

- Grab yourself an xkey, load the iso onto a usb drive and away you go
- Burn the iso using one of those ihas drives, then if you've flashed your drive you can play online.

Xkey can actually do this as far as anyone knows quite safely (no bans this far), obviously in this case though playing this far in advance will get your rear end banned.

Waiting for my collectors edition (from EB) on the 6th like everyone else that isn't an rear end hat and i must be one of the few who is in it more for campaign than multi. Im guessing they'll still be using the existing netcode model - and for anyone outside the U.S that plays like absolute utter poo poo as soon as one person from the U.S gets into the lobby.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I've never heard of this xkey thing, but even if it works as you describe, this is Halo 4 we're talking about. If you don't think Microsoft is keeping an eagle eye on who is playing this while connected to Live you're crazy.

edit: And good lord, this thing costs $100. Not saying pirates aren't willing to spend money on piracy (some of them spent ridiculous ammounts on KVs back when I was paying attention to this stuff), but that's certainly a barrier to entry that you can bet is going to keep a majority of "casual" pirates away.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 13, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

343 released a statement about the leak; http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2012/10/13/Possible-Spoilers-Beware!.aspx

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

If you don't think Microsoft is keeping an eagle eye on who is playing this while connected to Live you're crazy.

Yes exactly, why i said "obviously in this case though playing this far in advance will get your rear end banned." instead of the typical mechanism of 'we have detected altered hardware so gtfo'.

The xkey is generally pretty cheap to get setup, around the cost of 2 games i would say and up until this point hasn't had any issues with dash / games updates etc

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So how's this game shaping up? I haven't really followed it at all but I've loved every single halo game thus far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

So how's this game shaping up? I haven't really followed it at all but I've loved every single halo game thus far.

From what i've seen so far, this is going to be really good. In my opinion, i've liked all of the announced changes, and i'm constantly floored by the graphic improvements. I thought Reach was pretty impressive looking, but this just blows it out of the water, and shows that the Xbox 360 still has a lot of untapped power left in it. The multiplayer will tie me over until the next Xbox for sure. So hyped for this game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drake Bate posted:

Just saw it too. Wow, the CGI rendering is ridiculously good!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tezzeract posted:

There's apparently a Legendary opening if you beat Halo 3 on Legendary.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reading the Halo 4 threads on NeoGAF, and it appears Microsoft is on the ball with banning people who are playing this. If they detect it, they just console ban right away.

[edit]
Also, Halo 4 is $45 on Newegg.com with promo code EMCYTZT2339 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=1312731&SID=

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 14, 2012

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tezzeract posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, the people almost looked real.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's apparently a Legendary opening if you beat Halo 3 on Legendary.

That seems like a weird thing to include if it's true. Would you just choose which intro you wanted to watch or just show up on Legendary only or something?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

I said come in! posted:

[edit]
Also, Halo 4 is $45 on Newegg.com with promo code EMCYTZT2339 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=1312731&SID=

Nice, thanks!

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Are there any places left to buy the limited edition, or are they sold out everywhere?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Lediur posted:

Are there any places left to buy the limited edition, or are they sold out everywhere?

If your in Canada Futureshop still has LE copies.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

NuckmasterJ posted:

If your in Canada Futureshop still has LE copies.

In California, but thanks anyways :smith:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Tighclops posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, the people almost looked real.

I get the distinct impression that everything 343 and Microsoft does with the Halo franchise now is calculated to be a message to Hollywood saying "And you didn't want to make a Halo movie. :smug:"

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

ApathyGifted posted:

I get the distinct impression that everything 343 and Microsoft does with the Halo franchise now is calculated to be a message to Hollywood saying "And you didn't want to make a Halo movie. :smug:"

I want a full on Forward Unto Dawn series.

The first two episodes are awesome.

Would love Halo-star Galacttica.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I want a full on Forward Unto Dawn series.

The first two episodes are awesome.

Would love Halo-star Galacttica.

I would not be surprised if someone does actually pick up the rights to a full on mini series, just use ODST/Marines instead of the Chief with a few Spartan tie in's. It would be awesome.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 14, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would want Ronald Moore to do it, he handled Battlestar Galactica really well.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
As long as they do not include awful drama filler episodes every now and then. BSG was good, until endless dialogue episodes. Needs more action, less but mah dreams!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Some of BSG's best episodes were filled with "awful drama" and loads of dialogue. If we ever got a Halo series we should be so lucky if it were that thoughtful in between epic action set pieces.

If anybody at HBO (the network) had balls or a desire to have a go at some decent science fiction, Halo would be a great opportunity. Too bad Forward Unto Dawn is probably as close as we'll get.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I can't wait for the dramatic DoA fighting episode where the Chief is beaten up by the commander.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There is no way they would ever make a show that was just an hour of space and super alien battles a week. That would be the most expensive and tedious thing ever.

They don't even make movies that are just constant action, it doesn't work as a thing.

Why does Halo even need to be a movie? Or a TV show, can't it just be a game series? I hate this desire to franchise everything :(

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Tighclops posted:

Some of BSG's best episodes were filled with "awful drama" and loads of dialogue. If we ever got a Halo series we should be so lucky if it were that thoughtful in between epic action set pieces.

If anybody at HBO (the network) had balls or a desire to have a go at some decent science fiction, Halo would be a great opportunity. Too bad Forward Unto Dawn is probably as close as we'll get.

Do we know if FUD is getting a bluray release?

I made mistake of buying Halo Legends sight unseen but would happily pay for FUD on disc.

FishBulb posted:

There is no way they would ever make a show that was just an hour of space and super alien battles a week. That would be the most expensive and tedious thing ever.

They don't even make movies that are just constant action, it doesn't work as a thing.

Why does Halo even need to be a movie? Or a TV show, can't it just be a game series? I hate this desire to franchise everything :(

Because mainstream 'action' games are inherently poor story tellers.

It's hard to tell a good story when you have to engage the player by throwing combat scenarios every 30 seconds.

There's a lot to the Halo universe that warrants more multimedia exploits.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Do we know if FUD is getting a bluray release?

I made mistake of buying Halo Legends sight unseen but would happily pay for FUD on disc.

Because mainstream 'action' games are inherently poor story tellers.

It's hard to tell a good story when you have to engage the player by throwing combat scenarios every 30 seconds.

There's a lot to the Halo universe that warrants more multimedia exploits.

This. It doesn't have to be super awesome action fun times, but an actual scifi action/drama revolving around mankind's survival and the sacrifices we have to go through in order to even inflict a few casualties to the covenant. Along the way, dozen of colonies get glassed and billions of people are turned into dust.

Sounds like a decent premise.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
So finally got Reach back from my buddy and was curious what the best custom challenge set up is.

Also the more I read about Halo 4 the more my fears slightly dissipate that it might suck. Wasn't really fond of the changes they made to reach.

Even if i did still think it would suck, who am I kidding? I'll probably be first in line at midnight. Halo franchise has always had me by my ballbag.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 15, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

That seems like a weird thing to include if it's true. Would you just choose which intro you wanted to watch or just show up on Legendary only or something?

Apparently the leaked opening is just the regular opening of the game that somebody marked as the Legendary Halo 3 opening. It has some amazing CGI in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I hope they have the different dialogs based on what difficulty you're playing on. I always liked how you could play through the game on one difficulty, and then when you switched to a harder difficulty for the second run through, there were dialog bits that were nice and new and really cool to hear.

• Locked thread