Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, sounds about right. Thanks!

This isn't steamworks, though, is it? Wanted to get a boxed copy and activate it on there so I can avoid the download.

Took me 24 hours, but I was taking my time and trying to avoid relying too much on powers. I played it more like Thief. I'll do at least two more playthroughs (I'm on the second one now), because I want to get the different ending and play the game in different ways, which also extends the lifespan of the game for me. If my habits with the first two Thief games are any indicator, I'll play it many times in years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I enjoyed it, I really did, but I played on 360 - as much as I loved the characters, the atmosphere, the environments, I just can not play through again until I have a gaming-ready PC. Textures were bland, framerate sluggish in points and with such a myriad of powers and gadgets the limitation of a controller was all too apparent - especially when you're trying to chain a combination of them.

I also feel vaguely guilty, because buying the title on 360 means I am part of the reason why the environments couldn't be larger and you can't have more than a handful of corpses around at once. Sorry guys.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does 'killing' weepers increase Chaos? I'd always viewed it as a mercy killing at worst.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Does 'killing' weepers increase Chaos? I'd always viewed it as a mercy killing at worst.

Yes, because they're still people.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How does branding somebody with the Heretic's Brand automatically make them a pariah? Don't they have to go through a trial first? Campbell is the pope, after all. He could just write a bull invalidating the brand, and ask a cosmetic surgeon to disguise the scars.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

YOURFRIEND posted:

Easy and satisfying. Stop time, stab dudes, place bullets, let time go, everyone dies. Slightly mischievous god of stabbing everyone to death is the most fun way of playing for me, if not the most satisfying. Setting up a wall of light to kill everyone, killing all the guys on one side and having a staredown with the two remaining people on the other, then their pal runs between them with his sword raised into the wall, gets evaporated. Laugh maliciously and blink behind them, shooting them both in the back of the head. It's a lot of fun.

"God of Mischief" is how I've been playing it too, just to set up brilliant chain reactions. A favourite trick is placing a springrazor on a dead body just as a guard rounds the corner to discover the corpse.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Dishonored is probably the best example of world building since Rapture.

Ren02
Mar 5, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

How does branding somebody with the Heretic's Brand automatically make them a pariah? Don't they have to go through a trial first? Campbell is the pope, after all. He could just write a bull invalidating the brand, and ask a cosmetic surgeon to disguise the scars.

It's a bit of a stretch but on the other hand only a select few Overseers would participate in a trial like that. The others would just accept this new bit of information from the Abbey without question. And in the next level a note from Martin to the City Watch says that he is the new liaison between Abbey and Dunwall. So Martin is probably the person who has convinced pretty much everyone that there was indeed a fair trial and Campbell was found guilty and well, you can see the brand yourselves if you don't believe me. Campbell was blackmailing other Overseers so there are likely many that are really happy to see him go (or they are now being blackmailed by loyalists to support the trial story).

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It seemed to me that the religion was super strict and superstitious too, and it wouldn't surprise me if the truly devout followers felt like it would be impossible for a good pious man to end up with that mark.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Quick question, which engine does this game use? I hope it's UE3, because that's going to mean the difference between playability and "DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED FUNCTIONING" every ten seconds.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
I thought the idea was that those were the Rules and if you've got the mark of the heretic, that's it. Guilty or no, rules are rules. If anybody wanted to debate the point, they were probably shouted down by the people who hated the old High Overseer/were the recipients of the conspiracy's blackmail.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
In the letter he leaves on the floor he's wandering around on as a weeper, he says that he should have banned it but didn't because he planned to use it against enemies, "perhaps even Hiram." Just didn't expect it to be used against him, which is why he didn't get rid of it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hobo Siege posted:

Quick question, which engine does this game use? I hope it's UE3, because that's going to mean the difference between playability and "DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED FUNCTIONING" every ten seconds.

It uses UE3.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

JebanyPedal posted:

It uses UE3.

Baller sweet, thanks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Introvert posted:

In the letter he leaves on the floor he's wandering around on as a weeper, he says that he should have banned it but didn't because he planned to use it against enemies, "perhaps even Hiram." Just didn't expect it to be used against him, which is why he didn't get rid of it.
Crap, I missed that letter :(

Also, finding stuff to loot with Batman vision feels like cheating, on the other hand there are quite a few things I wouldn't have found otherwise (I think I regularly missed roughly a third of the coins in the levels before I got the 2nd rank of darkvision). It really is ugly though and practically worthless underwater.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm just on the 4th mission now, and wow this game is unbelievably great. Does it keep this level of freedom and density up? So many cool things have happened; I think the funniest moment so far has been finding Piero spying on Calista in the bath totally randomly. Then after telling him he could spy on who he liked, I walked in and asked her if she'd like some company :D

So many great moments it's hard to list them all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Introvert posted:

This is why the non-lethal solutions are the best. All you're doing is ensuring these people are undone by their own plans and plots. Often crueller than a sword in the neck, but you can't say they didn't bring it upon themselves. All it takes from you is a little nudge.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Dominic White posted:

This is why the non-lethal solutions are the best. All you're doing is ensuring these people are undone by their own plans and plots. Often crueller than a sword in the neck, but you can't say they didn't bring it upon themselves. All it takes from you is a little nudge.

It does get a bit ridiculous, though. Who the hell, especially if you're paranoid, keeps an audio recording titled "Regent's Confession" in which you explain precisely why you're to blame for everything that has gone wrong over the past year?

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I finished the game and enjoyed it. I think it went pretty quickly, I clocked in at 12 hours.

I really loved the last level design. It felt like a believable military fort.
The plot was boring as soon as I met the Admiral, I thought he sounded fishy. He sucked as the last boss. Daud was pretty cool.

Great design, lots of possibilites but by the end I was mostly blinking behind guards to take them out, groups were dealt with the stop time power. By the 7th mission, you are really overpowered.

I would really like to know more about the settings. The game felt like a tiny peak in a huge universe which should be explored further.
Books were boring after a while so I didn't get all of what was going on.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Captain Walker posted:

Is the origin of the Heart ever explained? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't obvious 'who' but I wonder if they ever come out and explain the 'why' which is really more interesting to me.

One of the audio logs mentions this. It's the one on the bottom floor of Piero's building, before the first real mission. Piero talks about keeping a heart alive with electricity and machinery and theorizes that the spirit would be trapped. Also mentions he got the idea in his sleep and is uneasy about it.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

The Introvert posted:

It does get a bit ridiculous, though. Who the hell, especially if you're paranoid, keeps an audio recording titled "Regent's Confession" in which you explain precisely why you're to blame for everything that has gone wrong over the past year?

Well, considering the plan he had (and executed) of getting rid of poor. He isn't exactly the brightest individual around.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Introvert posted:

This strange habit is a hallmark of Thief, System Shock 2 and all its heirs.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Introvert posted:

The same reason why we have confessional booths in churches. Some people have to admit to things, even if it damns them. They don't want that damnation to be openly known, so they tell their secrets in a place that only they know of and feel safe because of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do the boot stealth upgrades mean I can run without making noise?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Brainamp posted:

The same reason why we have confessional booths in churches. Some people have to admit to things, even if it damns them. They don't want that damnation to be openly known, so they tell their secrets in a place that only they know of and feel safe because of it.
That isn't really related, because only good, remorseful people confess in church. Evil people have no qualms about what they do. They feel no need to confess to unburden their souls. They do like to brag, though, because they take pride in hurting or swindling people and getting away with it. The regent's confession would have been more believable if it was a wiretap recording him brag about his crimes to a fellow conspirator.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
I got the feeling that it was sort of a "history will absolve me" kind of deal. Something that future generations would listen to, nod their heads and say, "yeah, I see this dude's point, he wasn't so bad after all." Not something to be released in his lifetime, but maybe much later... the way he spoke seemed to be apologetics from a man who believes what he did was right and necessary but also understands other people won't agree and was trying to convince them.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

That isn't really related, because only good, remorseful people confess in church. Evil people have no qualms about what they do. They feel no need to confess to unburden their souls. They do like to brag, though, because they take pride in hurting or swindling people and getting away with it. The regent's confession would have been more believable if it was a wiretap recording him brag about his crimes to a fellow conspirator.

He is supposed to be feeling guilt though. In the recordings it really struck me that way anyhow. His desperate need to try and blame someone else, "if everyone had just followed my plan it should have worked" really seems like he's trying to avoid coming fully to terms with what he did. He's still a bad person, he wanted all those poor people to die in the initial plague waves, but he did not want to destroy the city completely like he seemed to be doing. He doesn't want to accept that it was all his doing, because he recognizes how awful what is happening is. He also feels regret about a side effect of the whole thing, in his target level if you sneak around behind him, he will mutter various things. One of them is about how he should have attended Lady Boyle's party, that maybe he could have done something. It struck me that he seemed to be blaming himself as much as the player. He regrets that Lady Boyle died because of her association with him, because someone was after him for his actions.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

Yes, by level 2, pretty much.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Scott Bakula posted:

Yes. I think sprinting still generates some noise, but walking will no longer make any.

Baron Bifford posted:

So only those who donate regularly to charity and can do no wrong can feel remorseful? What on earth makes you think that someone who has done an evil act can't feel regret in anyway?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
The manual for the Eastern European PC version of the game is the worst thing ever, the table of contents promises to explain the story, characters, how everything works, how to play and how the Xbox Live works and actually we got small notes about potions, food, electric keys and alarms in four languages. gently caress you, Cenega!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game is great. I haven't had so much fun exploring in a game since Dark Souls. Good exploration in video games is becoming a lost art.

It's really rare for me to go back and try a game again with a different playstyle but I could see myself running through Dishonored another 2 or 3 times at least.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Sounded that way to me as well, he sounds rather proud about his plan and more angry than guilty about how everything went wrong. When he said "She had to die, you see. SHE HAD TO DIE!", that didn't sound like a guilt-ridden man trying to justify himself, it sounded like an angry man trying to vindicate himself to whoever was listening. I can see that idea of the recording existing for future generations should his conspiracy come to light being right.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
For a non-lethal run through, is there anyway to check if you've killed anybody?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
And it's called "Dishonored RHCP" in the list view. :( I've made a huge mistake.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Nifft posted:

For a non-lethal run through, is there anyway to check if you've killed anybody?

You can see at the end of every mission if you killed anyone. A good bit of information really.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Finished my second playthrough last night. I really loved the small changes to the story between low chaos and high chaos. Emily is a very different person by the end of the game depending on your chaos. Makes sense that she would take hints from the most influential adult in her life.

Also, while I suspected it from the very start of the game, there is evidence that (relationship spoilers) Emily is Corvo's daughter, and that the Empress and Corvo were romantically involved. In high chaos, when the three conspirators turn on each other at Kingsparrow, a dying Pendleton says as much. Interesting that Havelock, Martin and Pendleton don't turn on each other in low chaos and actually regret what they've done. Somehow, your non-lethal actions make them start to question themselves.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

thetrin posted:

Finished my second playthrough last night. I really loved the small changes to the story between low chaos and high chaos. Emily is a very different person by the end of the game depending on your chaos. Makes sense that she would take hints from the most influential adult in her life.

Whilst I enjoy a game world that reacts to the player's choices, the game takes it to an absurd level. It's as if Corvo is the spiritual center of the universe, with the world reflecting the growing darkness in his own soul. Somehow Corvo's way of operating can influence rat populations, the virulence of the plague, and the bloody weather. This storytelling style appears a lot in novels and movies but in an interactive game it feels a bit off.

thetrin posted:

Also, while I suspected it from the very start of the game, there is evidence that (relationship spoilers) Emily is Corvo's daughter, and that the Empress and Corvo were romantically involved. In high chaos, when the three conspirators turn on each other at Kingsparrow, a dying Pendleton says as much. Interesting that Havelock, Martin and Pendleton don't turn on each other in low chaos and actually regret what they've done. Somehow, your non-lethal actions make them start to question themselves.
It's a bit like Bioshock, where the player takes the role of surrogate father to a little girl that he must rescue and protect. Emily's real father, the Royal Consort, is never mentioned. Bioshock Infinite will have the same drat thing. I think the developers of these games are really obsessed with their precious princesses.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 14, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
This game, more than anything, needs a really good postmortem that addresses the problems the game has and a 2016 sequel that corrects them. If only Bethesda knew an ambitious company that was skilled at making sequels to other people's IPs :allears:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baron Bifford posted:

Emily's real father, the Royal Consort, is never mentioned.
Never mentioned may be accurate - I don't remember there being any indication that such a person exists, unless I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Captain Walker posted:

This game, more than anything, needs a really good postmortem that addresses the problems the game has and a 2016 sequel that corrects them. If only Bethesda knew an ambitious company that was skilled at making sequels to other people's IPs :allears:

No, not until Obsidian is done with what they actually want to do.

• Locked thread