Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
:siren: This game is more fun if you don't quickload every time you're spotted. :siren:
Maybe other stealth games have taught you that being spotted = screwing up and screwing up = reload, but in Dishonored, you have magic powers that let you escape. If guards spot you, blink away, preferably out of their line of sight, then run and hide in a dark spot behind something. Or freeze time and escape. Or possess a rat. If you reload every time you screw up, the game is too easy and you won't see awesome emergent gameplay. If you go with the flow and use the options open to you, a stealth playthrough is just as exciting and varied as a "kill everyone" playthrough.

Reviews are pouring in, and the acclaim is, well:

quote:

Dishonored is a work of rare imagination and skill, the sort of thing that can’t simply be copied and repeated. - Rock Paper Shotgun

quote:

Where most games have strict rules and guidelines, Dishonored has suggestions. Suggestions that it encourages you to mess around with at every turn. Blending the do-what-you-want structure of Deus Ex with the masterful world design of BioShock, this game is really something special. - Kotaku

quote:

The benefit of ignoring market-driven thinking shines throughout Dishonored’s asymmetric story of politics and comeuppance. It is aggressively different from anything else you’ll play this year, though old-school PC gamers will feel the threads of familiarity strummed again and again as Dishonored borrows and steals material from a wide variety of influences to make something new. But Dishonored’s clear vision and thoughtful design choices make for an experience that feels different, new, and more importantly, uniquely engaging. - Polygon

quote:

That’s why Dishonored is important right now. It feels like a game from another timeline, one where Thief and System Shock set the bar for what first-person games could be, leading to designs that were built around intelligent use of space and world-building. - Rock Paper Shotgun again

RATS!

Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbQgdSlsd0

Rendered Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlQ0aV_Iw1k

What is Dishonored?
Dishonored is a game by Arkane Studios. Arkane is the developer behind Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Its Co-creative Director is a guy named Harvey Smith. If you've never heard of him, you've definitely heard of some of his games: System Shock, Deus Ex, and Thief* (plus BlackSite: Area 51, which we will never speak of again). This is a wonderful article that goes into the history of the studio and the people behind it. And if you hate reading, here's a video about the studio's heritage!

* It turns out that Wikipedia is wrong. Harvey Smith never worked on Thief.

I asked about Dishonored, not Arkane Studios.
Sorry. Arkane wanted to make another game like all those awesome games I just mentioned. Specifically, they making a game where you play as an assassin with magic powers, set in a Victorian steampunk city inspired by London in the 1940's. The game focuses on many different paths to your objective, huge amounts of choice in how you carry out your assassinations, reactivity to the various choices you make, including the moral ones, and also you can turn into rats. You can use guns and swords and daggers and who knows what else.

Did you say Victorian steampunk London in the 1940's? What the hell does that even mean?
This video will explain everything, but here's the short version: the game is set in Dunwall, a dense, intricate Victorian city with a painterly look and steampunk technology inspired by the design of 1940's London. There are soldiers that walk around on giant metal stilts firing lightning bows. And there's a plague going on.

This game is pretty
The art design in this game is the responsibility of two people: Sebastian Mittion and Viktor Antonov. Viktor Antonov worked on the world and all the crazy machines. Antonov is the guy who designed much of Half-Life 2, particularly all that iconic Combine architecture. The character designs were directed by by Sebastian Mittion, and I don't know who he is but the characters look neat. The game itself is like playing inside of a painting. It's beautiful in a way that's very different from lots of other games.

What is the gameplay like?
Imagine Thief plus Hitman plus System Shock (or BioShock if you're not that old). You explore large, intricate levels, sneaking past or shooting or otherwise dealing with enemies, talking with people, and using your awesome weapons, gadgets, and supernatural powers to accomplish your objective. Your objective is to assassinate people but you can beat the game without killing anyone. There are secrets hidden everywhere and more ways to approach each encounter than there are rats in the sewers.

FAQ
    Q: I want low chaos/ghost/no kills! But don't spoil anything.
    A:
    PC Gamer has you covered.

Q: How do I holster my weapon?
    A: Hold down the "use" button (default F).

Q: I saved Curnow in the first assassination mission but the game says he died!
    A: The game is sort of weird about what counts as saving him. If you knock him unconscious, there is a dumpster you need to dump him in. You'll need to turn on the UI to find the magic dumpster unless you are psychic. If you don't knock him out, like, for instance, if you swap the poisoned drink, sometimes he runs away and is fine.

Q: The FOV is too low.
    A: You must be a PC gamer! Via TheCoon:

quote:

Until someone comes up with something better you can rebind a button to whatever fov you want in DishonoredInput.ini, for example:

BaseBindings=(Name="Backspace",Command="FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Alternatively, Klyith suggests Flawless Widescreen. Over and over again.

Q: A corpse disappeared :(
    A:
    Via Hank Morgan, a fix that hopefully doesn't break anything - edit your DishonoredAI.ini in [documents]\my games\dishonours\config to look like this:
    code:
    m_bCorpseCleanupInView=False
    m_CorpseAbsoluteMaximumCount=100
    m_CorpseIdealMaximumCount=50
    Q: How do I skip the intro movies?
    A:
    Via Klyith:
    • Go to Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config
    • Open DishonoredEngine.ini in a text editor
    • Scroll way down or crtl+f to [FullScreenMovie]
    • Delete lines for startup movies you don't want to see, or just edit "bForceNoStartupMovies=false" to true for no movies at all. I like to keep the blackscreen & loading movie just for feedback.

Q: What's the code to the safe in the sewers at the start of the game? I've examined every whiskey bottle in the area for 10 minutes!
    A: There's a shelf full of whiskey near the safe. Look at the shelf. Alternatively, do you play a lot of these kinds of games? System Shock, Deus Ex, BioShock, etc.? Just guess the code.

Q: Should I turn the quest markers off?
    A:
    Yes, turn them right the gently caress off! Right now. And squeeze the heart in every new area. That will make sense to you at some point in the game.

Q: Do you think I will get my own squad after what happened last night?
    A:
    Indeed, I believe so.

More stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wW7b0wYD3Y

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Holy poo poo, this looks awesome

edit: What was Harvey Smith's role in Deus Ex and System Shock? That's quite a resume, but I can't find what his actual job was on those.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Has Kicking been confirmed yet? It's not Dark Messiah if you can't evoke the mighty boot.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I don't like to get excited about videos games because you end up disappointed more often than not, but this seems promising.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Alright Arkane, this is the game you've been threatening to make for a while now. I hope you live up to your potential.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

YourAverageJoe posted:

Has Kicking been confirmed yet? It's not Dark Messiah if you can't evoke the mighty boot.

Yeah I want to kick some dude into the fireplace so hard his monocle flies off.

(I seriously completed about 90% of Dark Messiah by kicking dudes into and off of various things, it was always so satisfying)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Adam Bowen posted:

edit: What was Harvey Smith's role in Deus Ex and System Shock? That's quite a resume, but I can't find what his actual job was on those.
Looks like he was "Lead Tester" on System Shock (although somehow he wrote part of the manual too?), "Lead Designer" on Deus Ex, and "Creative Director" for Deus Ex 2 Fast 2 Furiously Invisible. Also it turns out he didn't work on Thief, so Wikipedia was lying to me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I hope they see the sneaky assassin thing all the way through instead of just being a guy who mostly shoots other guys who are shooting at him and is occasionally presented with a guard with his back turned. Also I hope that there are lots of assassination missions instead of one or two in the first couple of hours followed by six hours of trying to kill the main bad guy.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Dishonored, Prey 2, Borderlands 2...I know all these games are all really different, but drat, 2012 is a fantastic year for fans of FPS games :dance:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Looks good and I'm glad their steampunk is dirty as poo poo instead of polished brass everything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'd describe it as Thief 2 banging Dark Messiah while Bioshock watches from a tree outside with binoculars.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Then Arx Fatalis comes home from work early and Thief 2 hurriedly pulls its pants on and tries to leave out the window only to fall on Deus Ex. Then System Shock walks over from the house next door to figure out what the hell is going on, but just then that douchebag Deus Ex Invisible War comes home from college with his boring rear end girlfriend Far Cry 2, and he wants to kick everyone out so he can host a big party and invite his friends like Strife and Ultima Underworld even though they're creepy 28 year old guys who hit on high school girls.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
As long as it isn't "Everything is brass and leather and also covered in cogs for no reason" steampunk, this seems pretty great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Any word on the game's level of difficulty? It seems right in line with my wife's interests thematically, but she's bad at playing 3-D games and couldn't handle typical gamer-difficulty (as in, she plays Skyrim on it's lowest setting and still has trouble). I want to encourage her continued gaming but it's dependent on the games themselves taking it easy on her.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

As long as it isn't "Everything is brass and leather and also covered in cogs for no reason" steampunk, this seems pretty great.

Seems to be more along the lines of all the technology being harsh, cold black-iron designs reminiscent of Combine structures from HL2.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lotish posted:

Any word on the game's level of difficulty? It seems right in line with my wife's interests thematically, but she's bad at playing 3-D games and couldn't handle typical gamer-difficulty (as in, she plays Skyrim on it's lowest setting and still has trouble). I want to encourage her continued gaming but it's dependent on the games themselves taking it easy on her.

I haven't seen the developers say anywhere "we are going to have a mode for people who suck at games" but I wouldn't hold out hope. Hopefully you can just edit an .ini or use cheat codes or something to bump her health up 500% or whatever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Seems to be more along the lines of all the technology being harsh, cold black-iron designs reminiscent of Combine structures from HL2.

I feel like I end up gushing about this every time this game comes up but it's the same dude behind the art direction of both vanilla HL2 and Dishonored, so you're exactly right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Then Arx Fatalis comes home from work early and Thief 2 hurriedly pulls its pants on and tries to leave out the window only to fall on Deus Ex. Then System Shock walks over from the house next door to figure out what the hell is going on, but just then that douchebag Deus Ex Invisible War comes home from college with his boring rear end girlfriend Far Cry 2, and he wants to kick everyone out so he can host a big party and invite his friends like Strife and Ultima Underworld even though they're creepy 28 year old guys who hit on high school girls.

Hitman sneaked out the window just before Dark Messiah came home to greet Thief.

I read about this game in Game Informer last year and have been hyped to gently caress over it ever since. It seems like it will scratch the itch that Hitman Absolution will inevitably fail miserably to scratch.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
i recommend that everyone reads the Dishonored tag on RPS, they cover it extremely well and are just as excited as the rest of us.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is this what was going to be called Crossed?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're thinking The Crossing and no, that was canceled and is unrelated to this.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Aww, you've beaten me to the punch with the thread. :shobon: Was gonna re-make it since the old one fell into the abyss.

niff posted:

i recommend that everyone reads the Dishonored tag on RPS, they cover it extremely well and are just as excited as the rest of us.
It is indeed good reading. There's also the Game Informer stuff ( http://www.gameinformer.com/p/dishonored.aspx ) that has some older info, but info nonetheless.

There's also the video preview on GameSpot aka "Stealthy, Gruesome Murder" if you want to see the game in motion. Then there's the "Creating Steampunk Beauty" video as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Had me at 'Deus Ex, Thief' lost me at 'Victorian Steampunk.'

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I think that was just some buzzwording for the sake of buzzwording. All the art released looks great, but if marketing has to describe it then, "What do kids like these days? loving STEAMPUNK"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's less steampunk, more weird sci-fi. It's victorian as gently caress though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It actually looks like steampunk should look, outside of the ridiculous giant teslabots. Steampunk looks like oppression in the industrial revolution, plus some tech.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

TOOT BOOT posted:

But Thief is pretty much steampunk with fantasy mixed in.

Could be interesting and I like the style other than being a bit too much on the grey side. I have a feeling that steampunk is getting more popular as other genres are getting a bit stale. Let's just hope it's not overdone....

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TOOT BOOT posted:

As GoldenNugget points out, Thief is one of the most steampunkiest game series. I mean, what's more steampunk than Thief other than Arcanum, Greed Corp, and Bioshock?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Adam Bowen posted:

Holy poo poo, this looks awesome

Harvey Smith has had his fair share of flops. The game itself seems to be a bit of a risky concept though, so maybe it'll be decent or at least interestingly flawed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As GoldenNugget points out, Thief is one of the most steampunkiest game series. I mean, what's more steampunk than Thief other than Arcanum, Greed Corp, and Bioshock?

There also hasn't been a Thief game in 10 years. I'm really sick of Steampunk at this point.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Harvey Smith has had his fair share of flops. The game itself seems to be a bit of a risky concept though, so maybe it'll be decent or at least interestingly flawed.

If this has like 60% as fun combat as dark messiah they can take a poo poo in the box for all i care and i'll still buy it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Their artist worked on HL2, didn't he?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dodoman posted:

Their artist worked on HL2, didn't he?

From the OP:

quote:

The art design is being handled by two people: Viktor Antonov is working on the world and all these crazy machines. Antonov is the guy who designed much of Half-Life 2, particularly all that iconic Combine architecture. The characters are being directed by Sebastian Mittion, and I don't know who he is but the characters look neat.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Chaos Engine was steampunk as poo poo. It was also very good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Huh, this looks like Arcanum hosed a FPS and this is the baby it had.

I'm down with it, here's hoping it's good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I think people think they are sick of Steampunk when really they're sick of nerds in utilikilts with some plumbing supplies hot glued to their felt top hats and repurposed ski goggles.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

signalnoise posted:

It actually looks like steampunk should look, outside of the ridiculous giant teslabots. Steampunk looks like oppression in the industrial revolution, plus some tech.

Agreed. I always marvel at how many high fantasy games are crapped out every year, when steampunk is an easy to produce atmosphere.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gonna John Wilkes Booth a motherfucker. I hope there's a special move where I can grab somebody by the handlebar mustache, then stab them with a clockwork dagger.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What's been released so far about the setting and the world outside the city is giving me kind of a Bas-Lag feel, which is absolutely a good thing. If I recall correctly, the Industrial Revolution in this game was jump started by magic oil from giant mutant lovecraft whales.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Something like that, I think. Check out this screengrab from the first video linked in the OP:

Totally a whale. I also should've grabbed an earlier frame because the boat design is even neater when you can see the prow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't think you placed enough emphasis on the monsterous, overwhelming horde of rats that run around this game. :allears:

I look forward to seeing how it turns out, at any rate.

• Locked thread