Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Coruscant is terrible and I refuse to hear good things about it.

The Jedi Knight / Soldier / Consular's quest hub is in the senate. Do you know where the Smuggler's is?

The first questing zone.

If it weren't for the necessity of having to go to the Senate anyway, I'd consider that a mark in their favor (because seriously, the run to quests in the senate from the taxi takes over two minutes and that's after a two minute car ride. This is then followed by another two minute run and another two minute car ride to the next questing zone.

It'd bad enough for everyone else, but the Smuggler then has to detour to the first questing zone (add another four minutes) before they can move on.

The Sith Warrior would have the same issue on Nar Shaddaa if the planetary quests were all picked up at the great bazaar (they're not, thankfully).

This is not good design. Especially since every character has a space telephone that they refuse to ever use.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Coruscant is terrible and I refuse to hear good things about it.

The Jedi Knight / Soldier / Consular's quest hub is in the senate. Do you know where the Smuggler's is?

The first questing zone.

If it weren't for the necessity of having to go to the Senate anyway, I'd consider that a mark in their favor (because seriously, the run to quests in the senate from the taxi takes over two minutes and that's after a two minute car ride. This is then followed by another two minute run and another two minute car ride to the next questing zone.

It'd bad enough for everyone else, but the Smuggler then has to detour to the first questing zone (add another four minutes) before they can move on.

The Sith Warrior would have the same issue on Nar Shaddaa if the planetary quests were all picked up at the great bazaar (they're not, thankfully).

This is not good design. Especially since every character has a space telephone that they refuse to ever use.

It should be mentioned that when you say "the Senate", people are actually all spread out throughout a shitload of small, unmarked rooms in all different parts of this big rear end Senate building. So you take your two minute run there from the nearest taxi, then you actually have to run around looking for these bastards and where they're hidden spread across different floors vertically and hallways horizontally.

It's definitely the worst planet for actually picking up quests (though I still think Alderaan is worse for actually having to DO them).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You may want to show that off in the next flashpoint. I don't think we've seen the telephone yet.

As to Corsecant, if they'd just made the Speeder landing in/at the foot of the Senate Tower things would be SO much better. Worst part about that place however is the last real hub. You go running through it to find a closer speeder point, and a link to the abandoned temple, which you only get sent to for two classes (that I know of... only done Trooper Knight and Consular to that point).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

It's definitely the worst planet for actually picking up quests (though I still think Alderaan is worse for actually having to DO them).

I'm leaving Nar Shaddaa at level 27. Hopefully, I'll be level 29 off Tattooine and can get away with only doing my class quests on the worst planet: Alderaan. gently caress Killiks!

Non-spoiler version: TOR makes me glad the Death Star blew Alderaan up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know, if the rest of the design weren't so unintentionally terrible I would almost give them credit for that being the intentional feeling it is supposed to evoke. I had the same thought when I was playing, though.

I hope your master plan works out.

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007

Bounty Hunter: Update 13 – Last Man Standing

Click here for the Cutscene

: And you believed him? I mean we did warn you about him.
: It wasn't up to me. Seems he was important enough that the Huntmaster believed him.
: Can you still get me into that melee, Crysta?
: Yeah, but just by the skin o' your knuckles.
: All the other hunters who survived are already inside! Get in there!

: That's the spirit!

: The arena is up ahead, we might just make it!
: Good. I'll let out the frustrations Tarro Blood has caused me on my opponents.
: Then I wouldn't want to be them right now!

: It looks like we made it just in time!
: You'll probably be forced to sit this one out. I doubt they'd let you help me in this fight.
: I'll stay outside then. Good luck, and tear them to shreds!

: -- and the last hunter left standing joins the Great Hunt. Simple as that.

: Somebody made up a story I was dead. A certain cowardly Mandalorian afraid of a little competition, it seems.
: Your competitors were relieved to hear it. Too bad for them, huh?
: Huntmaster, will you do us the honor?

: Good hunting to all!
: We all heard tales of your exploits, hunter. Perhaps I'll turn them into a song to commemorate your death.
: Make sure it's something you can dance to.
: Consider it done. I'd wish you luck, but it wouldn't help. So, I'll just say goodbye.
: Enough! You hunters are the best that the galaxy's goons and thug lords could send us.

: Anything last remarks before you die?

: I do have some advice.
: And what is that, hunter?

: Never stand next to the guy with a flamethrower.

: For someone who supposedly is a skillful hunter, your fighting style is awfully crude! It will be the cause of your defeat!
: And for someone who managed to poison an Imperial Moff, your fighting style is just plain awful!

: I guess you won't be making a song about my exploits after all.

: I just stomped my competition into the dirt. I feel great. Although I was looking forward to that song about me... :(
: Enjoy it. Things only get harder from here.
: Unlike Tarro Blood, I wouldn't have it any other way.
: Let the hunter stand before me. He is honored beyond all common hunters.
: Let it be known that--

: Speak of the Hutt....

: No, no! No unsanctioned kills in the Great Hunt!
: You see? That's a perfect example. I object to this farce. This ignorant thug does not deserve to enter the Great Hunt.
: I would think I'm more deserving than a certain pathetic, cowardly Mandalorian.
: His credentials are a lie fabricated by his little gutter rat of a sidekick. He deserves no honors.
: You lying, cheating, murdering scum!

: You fools! This is a place of honor, a competition of elites. Mandalore will hear of this!
: I sure hope you're not gonna cry.

: The Great Hunt just got way more interesting. Sorry to interrupt, Huntmaster. Please continue.
: The Great Hunt proves talent, resolve. Mandalore calls it to bring him the most skilled hunter in the galaxy.
: Sounds like the Great Hunt is essentially a job interview.
: Each hunter will hunt the other's prey. Then each hunter hunts the other. At the end, there is no prey and only one hunter.
: You get all that, hunter?
: What happens when I win this contest?
: Fame, glory, wealth -- and a chance to work with Mandalore, the greatest leader in the galaxy.
: Okay, so a job interview with potentially great benefits then.
: You'll be hunting targets spread across the galaxy. There will be at least one other hunter going after them, too.

: That seems simple enough. Although it looks like I'll need to acquire my own ship.
: Today you are truly the hunter, and all else is your prey. Welcome to the Great Hunt.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just can't take Tarro Blood seriously with that name and that hair. Hahahaha.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

You're not supposed to take him seriously. You're supposed to want to punch him in the face.

Bioware's pretty good at evoking that feeling, come to think of it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

As Cythereal said, you're not supposed to take him seriously. He is an internet tough guy in an era with no (true) internet.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That melee was really disappointing to me. I was kinda hoping for some huge brawl, but it ended up being like 5 guys that were really weak and me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
TOR is really paranoid about what will happen to the player character when they don't have a healbot companion around to heal them every three seconds assist them and tends to turn the difficulty down for any solo segments.

Unless you're a Jedi Knight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are they at least notionally hostile to each other, or do they all decide to gun for you first?

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

TOR is really paranoid about what will happen to the player character when they don't have a healbot companion around to heal them every three seconds assist them and tends to turn the difficulty down for any solo segments.

Unless you're a Jedi Knight.

Well despite what the cutscene says, Mako can and does help and heal me during the fight. Which is quite funny, but hard for me to find shots where it isn't obvious she is helping me (mostly that healing green glow).

Yes, they actually do fight each other Glazius. In fact, the reason most shots are of me fighting Ratle is because the others died killing each other!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

11. Interview with a Ghost

Dorotsech sent us a letter. How nice. There was no time to waste though so we headed straight for the Dark Temple.

We had to kill more than our fair share of possessed fools along the way. It's as if all of Kaas City had lost their minds here. After traveling deep within the temple we came upon the door to the chamber. I'm not pleased to say that I found it very unnerving.

Click here for Video. Watch This.

I am still too weak to leave, but I knew if I made myself enough of a nuisance, you would eventually come. The Sith throw flesh endlessly at what they cannot control. And here you are, blood of my blood. Here you are.
What are you talking about?
Ah, you don't know me. Has our family fallen so far that the daughter of my daughters does not know the name of Kallig, the name so long revered in the annals of the Sith? You are my descendant--by how many generations, I do not know--but know this: Your strength int he Force has awakened me from my stupor.
What do you mean I awakened you?

But I'm a former slave!
That is my shame. I was once one of the greatest Lords of the Sith. If I'd been wiser, I could have secured my family's greatness. But I let down my guard and was betrayed by a man named Tulak Hord, whom I trusted as a friend.
And yet you speak as if alive. I would serve my master well to correct that.
Ha! Your master is dead, beast. You serve the child of Kallig now. Flesh of my flesh, you should teach your servant to obey.

Of course... my master.
Good. You must not take obedience for granted. In restoring our bloodline to glory, you must not make the same mistake. Treachery is the Sith's endless game--you must win it.
Don't worry about me.
Beware your master, beware your apprentice. Never be taken by surprise. Do these things, and you will be unstoppable. But you have not come to see me; you have come for the artifact I managed to wrest from Tulak Hord before he died. Take the artifact, but be careful--I know not what it does. Only that betrayal follows it everywhere.
I'll use caution.
I hunger for the day when our power will be restored. We will meet again.

You wouldn't want to spoil the surprise now, would you?
Oh. Oh. You're teasing me, apprentice. Hurry back to Skotia's--I mean, my--chambers. I have a surprise for you.
I love surprises!
Trust me--you'll love it. Now, hurry back with the artifact! I can't wait!

Was this "surprise" what my descendant was talking about? Would betrayal come so soon from the only one I trusted? I decided to heed his advice and take caution but I still felt Zash was more than just a master. She was my friend.

Click here for Video.

Skotia's chambers are a treasure trove of research. Who would've thought a man like that had such a curious intellect? It almost makes me regret that we had to kill him. But I digress--I trust you were successful in the Dark Temple?
Did you expect otherwise?
Of course not. But tell me, how did you manage to pacify the apparition?
The apparition seemed to think you'd betray me.
Then that ghost is an idiot. I am not so stupid, you are my most valued apprentice. Now--

These artifacts will change everything, apprentice--you, especially. They will make you more powerful than you could imagine. I have foreseen it.
Let me guess, you've been dreaming again.
Always and ever. This artifact is one of five that together describe a peculiar ritual used by the great Tulak Hord when he conquered the Dromund system. Until I have all the artifacts, I cannot understand the full nature of the ritual, but I have foreseen that you alone will wield the ritual's power. The artifacts are scattered across the galaxy; some hidden by Tulak Hord himself, and some wrenched from his hands by betrayers.

I'll get started right away.
It's not much to go on, but I will continue my work behind the scenes to get you more information. But first--I believe I mentioned a surprise earlier. If you're going to find these artifacts, you'll need a ship and so I have ordered you one. All you need to do is pick it up.
For me? You're too kind.
Yes, you've earned it. You'll find your ship at the spaceport. Then, the galaxy is yours to explore. Don't forget to contact me when you reach each planet for more information on the artifacts' locations. Good luck, and good hunting.

I wanted to tell her the truth, I really did. But more and more Kallig's haunting words echoed in my head. I didn't lie to her but I kept my relationship with him to myself. But now we had a ship! Clearly she only had my best intentions at heart. On the way to the hangar Khem had some more things to say.

Ortan Cela also walked with a Dashade shadow assassin--a beast called Veshikk Urk.
What do this Ortan Cela and I have in common?
Your ambition outstrips your ability, and you do not hesitate to take what you don't deserve. Where Tulak Hord treated me as his ally, Ortan Cela treated Veshikk Urk as his animal. Veshikk Urk was once my greatest rival in the order of the shadow assassins on Urkupp, but Cela stole his dignity and reduced him to a slavering monster.
I'm sorry you think I'm cruel. I didn't intend it.
You have nevertheless made me a slave. Like you, Ortan Cela bound Veshikk Urk by force. Veshikk had no choice but to accept his indignities. I don't know what happened to Veshikk after I went into stasis, but I promise you, I will not be enslaved forever.

The galaxy was mine for the taking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dromuund Kaas is done! And more dire warnings from strangers about our master. But they don't know her like we do! So who are we going to trust more here? Our personal Sith Lincoln or Ghost Dad?

Zash
Pros: Saved us from slavery. Treats us like we have worth. Gave us a sweet new ride.
Cons: Is a Sith Lord. Might try to kill us someday? Looks cuter in a dress than we do.

Kallig
Pros: Is a ghost. Gave us one of the artifacts. Is also our great ancestor.
Cons: Could be lying? Was a Sith Lord. Kind of choked us and threw us around a bit.

Oh and just in case it's hard to tell because I think it started fading, the "30" for Khem in Kallig's conversation is a 30 point loss.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 15, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Don't know if that's a vote, but my sympathies are with neither. You are Sith, and serve only yourself. Zash is far, far too nice and willing to cede great power to you for me to trust what She says, while I bet the Sith ghost says such sweet nothings to all the inquisitors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Never trust a Sith Lord. Especially a dead one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Catsworth posted:

Lord Zash: Looks cuter in a dress than we do.

Unforgivable! Side with Kalig the Unfriendly Ghost!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Catsworth posted:

Cons: Looks cuter in a dress than we do.

That could also be applied to Mort.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm leaving Nar Shaddaa at level 27. Hopefully, I'll be level 29 off Tattooine and can get away with only doing my class quests on the worst planet: Alderaan. gently caress Killiks!

Oh god, I think I'm having a PTSD flashback to the Let's Read thread. :cry:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PoptartsNinja posted:

Side with Lord Baras!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I suspect both of them are using us. Can we choose to trust neither? :ohdear:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not Atronie's fault he was born with those great hips. :colbert:

SWMadness posted:

I suspect both of them are using us. Can we choose to trust neither? :ohdear:

Sure, whatever the thread wants! Think of it like the posts being the first whispers of madness within her head.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Trust no one. But, honor your master and treat everyone with respect.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Let's try and get to the next page here. I've got the update everyone some people have been waiting for...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Trust neither of them, because in all likelihood they're probably both as backstabby and insane as the other.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Psion posted:

Did you hear his voice? I cannot fathom how anybody thought giving him a pretty boy model was appropriate.

e:From one of Lamadar's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYuiD0BG_Hk&t=102s

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 15, 2012

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also, I'm voting for Ghost Dad, because...Ghost Dad! It's Bill Cosby under that mask, I know it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Moon Slayer posted:

Let's try and get to the next page here. I've got the update everyone some people have been waiting for...

Ever since you guys switched over to jpegs, I haven't really had problems with loading. I think 3 jpeg updates per page are fine.

Also I already miss my Imperial Agent :(. Subscription ran out yesterday.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Ever since you guys switched over to jpegs, I haven't really had problems with loading. I think 3 jpeg updates per page are fine.

Also I already miss my Imperial Agent :(. Subscription ran out yesterday.

Eh, my update was pretty long though. At about the point where I was like "I should probably stop here" I said "gently caress it let's finish this."

And Tarro "The Bieb" Blood always made me laugh at such opposing features.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
TRUST NO ONE, SPILL THE BLOOD OF ALL. :black101:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Trust no one but yourself. But remember that our Boss has treated us well so far.

Do the force-users really get the same type of ship? Is the TIE Fighter on steroids standard issue for Sith apprentices or what?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Hmmm, ghost dad or your crazy aunt.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with ghost dad. I mean, he would never stab you in the back. Right?

This is actually the point where I stopped on my Assassin so I have no idea what happens next. I can't wait to see.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean Lord Zash is already actively 'betraying' us by having us go do something really dangerous to get something really dangerous that she intends for us to make sure is safe before she does anything with. For the moment that actually makes her pretty safe, so there's no reason to stop trusting her yet.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Last Transmission posted:

Do the force-users really get the same type of ship? Is the TIE Fighter on steroids standard issue for Sith apprentices or what?

Unfortunately, yeah. Both Sith and both Jedi share the same ship type.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It kinda pisses me off that Bioware decided to use the TIE fighter as the model for that ship. Is that design reserved for evil uses or something in this galaxy? It's the same case of the Ebon Hawk and the Millennium Falcon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

It kinda pisses me off that Bioware decided to use the TIE fighter as the model for that ship. Is that design reserved for evil uses or something in this galaxy? It's the same case of the Ebon Hawk and the Millennium Falcon.

It's the same reason the Bounty Hunter ship bears a notable resemblance to Boba Fett's ship, the Jedi ship resembles the Rebel blockade runner ship, the Trooper ship looks like a B-wing fighter, and the Smuggler ship looks like the Millenium Falcon and Ebon Hawk: they're specifically intended to evoke the imagery and feelings associated with particular characters and organizations from the movies. Once again, the only place where Bioware got/was allowed to get creative was with the Imperial Agent.

In the case of the Fury, it's justified in-setting by being built by the same corporation that built the TIE ships.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Basically, there's been virtually zero creativity in ship design in most of the Star Wars video games. To add just one more data point to your list bad guys always have pseudo-Star Destroyers.

Edit: and, beaten. The explanation above is a bit more charitable than mine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And a couple more data points: the generic Imperial fighters are almost identical to the Sith fighters from KOTOR (which were Rakata ships produced by the Star Forge...), Imperial shuttles are close cousins of the Lambda-class shuttles from the movies, and the generic Republic fighters are Headhunters with the serial numbers filed off.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rinkles posted:

Haha! Vindicated.

Also, insofar as ship design goes, look at the ships in Episodes II and III and compare to IV-VI ... it's pretty obvious Lucas did the same thing TOR did.

The problem is, it's a lot more believable in an "in-universe" gap of 20 years for them to be so similar whereas 3000 or whatever is a bit dicier. But again, this is something of a no-win for Bioware. They either pander to what people Expect Star Wars To Be or they have legions of canon-obsessed 501st members ranting on the TOR forums.

At least they've established "ships from Sienar look like this and ships from Corellian Engineering look like this" so they're all stealing from the same basic archetypes but at least there are several archetypes to take.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And a couple more data points: the generic Imperial fighters are almost identical to the Sith fighters from KOTOR (which were Rakata ships produced by the Star Forge...), Imperial shuttles are close cousins of the Lambda-class shuttles from the movies, and the generic Republic fighters are Headhunters with the serial numbers filed off.

Basically the whole starwars universe has been aesthetically and technologically stagnant for millenia.

• Locked thread