Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
For a second I was excited because it was a Wii U controller squeezed into the SNES controller form. Then I realized I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Revol posted:

I'm surprised they got Bluetooth lag that low. I know from experience that audio lag is pretty bad. Watching TV through Bluetooth wireless is impossible, unless you are able to set a video delay.

I could possibly see them getting it to work using Bluetooth 3.0 (which uses 802.11 technology for high-speed transmission, and is supposed to be goof for up to 24Mbps).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
If any of you work at Walmart and are looking to spend your meager pay on video games, definitely put one on layaway, they'll accept your discount card and save you thirty bucks.

The person who helped me said they only have the deluxe version, I dunno if that applies to all Walmarts though.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
Newegg has a deal right now on game preorders: $12 off games priced $49.99 or above.

I just picked up Rayman Legends for $50 (including CA taxes). Might be worth checking out. Right now, that includes all the Wii-U titles they have listed and I hear that the discount works on the Pro Controller, too.

Promo code is: EMCJNJD242 - You can use it once per order. Shipping is free.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Read it. Not just hardcore gamers. "Professional" gamers. And that one sixtieth of a second "could be a significant disadvantage to somebody playing on the GamePad".

I'm trying to wrap my head around what the gently caress they're talking about. If you're playing on the 360 or PS3, the input lag from the controller in the most ideal situation is ~33 ms (1/30th). So the GamePad would actually have half the lag of a normal controller. How is that a disadvantage again?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SamBishop posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what the gently caress they're talking about. If you're playing on the 360 or PS3, the input lag from the controller in the most ideal situation is ~33 ms (1/30th). So the GamePad would actually have half the lag of a normal controller. How is that a disadvantage again?

Well, you're talking about two different types of lag. The lag he's describing is the lag from the system's video output to the controller. You're talking about the lag from an input on the controller to the action being registered by the console. It's not a lag of 1/60th of a second instead of 1/30th of a second, it's the video lag of 1/60th of a second plus whatever the controller lag on the gamepad ends up being.

Not that I'm defending anyone that's up in arms about this, but you're conflating two different types of lag.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

plasticbugs posted:

Newegg has a deal right now on game preorders: $12 off games priced $49.99 or above.

I just picked up Rayman Legends for $50 (including CA taxes). Might be worth checking out. Right now, that includes all the Wii-U titles they have listed and I hear that the discount works on the Pro Controller, too.

Thanks for this... grabbed the Pro controller, ZombiU, and NSMBU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

plasticbugs posted:

Thanks for this, saved $36 plus some tax! Got a Pro controller, Pikman 3 and Rayman.

Keeping my pre-orders going for Wallmart/Best buy since I don't want have them screw something up and end up with nothing launch day.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If any of you work at Walmart and are looking to spend your meager pay on video games, definitely put one on layaway, they'll accept your discount card and save you thirty bucks.

The person who helped me said they only have the deluxe version, I dunno if that applies to all Walmarts though.

Since we're talking about Wii U deals, if you are buying at Best Buy they have a deal with Amex where if you buy $200 at Best Buy in October you get a $20 statement credit. So basically... buy $200 in gift cards now and spend them in November.

You have to link your Amex to the Amex Like, Link Love App, but hey... $20 free bucks! Plus you'll probably be 4/5 of the way to a $5 Best Buy Reward Zone Cert, that's pretty much $25 off your system.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2012

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Am I the only one who really wants Zombiu to be so badass but each time they look at it they see the empty promise of Red Steel?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not even going to buy Zombi U most likely but I don't see the Red Steel comparison.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm not even going to buy Zombi U most likely but I don't see the Red Steel comparison.

I meant it in the fact that it was a Ubisoft title supposedly developed for "mature" gamers and it was supposed to showcase the new tech.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

thefncrow posted:

Well, you're talking about two different types of lag. The lag he's describing is the lag from the system's video output to the controller. You're talking about the lag from an input on the controller to the action being registered by the console. It's not a lag of 1/60th of a second instead of 1/30th of a second, it's the video lag of 1/60th of a second plus whatever the controller lag on the gamepad ends up being.

Not that I'm defending anyone that's up in arms about this, but you're conflating two different types of lag.

Gooooootcha. That kind of display lag is trivial anyway, since most TVs that aren't in Game Mode introduce a ton of processing lag. Having spent as much time with the system as I have, I know it's nice and quick, but it's always good to get it properly straightened out.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

suddenlyissoon posted:

Am I the only one who really wants Zombiu to be so badass but each time they look at it they see the empty promise of Red Steel?

I can't hear the name "Zombiu" and not think it has the title of a garbage shovelware game. I think until I play it for myself I'll be unable to break that association even though I've heard nothing but positive things coming out of trade shows.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

I meant it in the fact that it was a Ubisoft title supposedly developed for "mature" gamers and it was supposed to showcase the new tech.
I wouldn't worry too much. Unlike Red Steel, which was trashed before release and had the most positive opinion being "maybe they'll fix it up before it comes out", Zombi U has been enjoyed by pretty much everyone who's played it so far.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

I can't hear the name "Zombiu" and not think it has the title of a garbage shovelware game. I think until I play it for myself I'll be unable to break that association even though I've heard nothing but positive things coming out of trade shows.

If it helps at all, Zombi is a really old Ubisoft game for the Commodore 64. This is a sequel. Sort of.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I'd advise those on the fence about ZombiU to wait it out and get something else at launch. Most of the time none first party launch titles can be had incredibly cheaply a year later by which point you'll not only get it cheaper, but don't even have to buy it at all if it turns out to be poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Nope. I remember thirty years of empty promises from game developers every time I preorder a game.

I still have my fingers crossed, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

suddenlyissoon posted:

I have alway compared it to Red Steel, I'll definitely be renting it first before considering buying it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The difference between this game and Red Steel is that they're letting anyone and everyone play this game before release and most people have been very positive about it, whereas with Red Steel they just kept releasing the same three photoshopped screenshots over and over again while telling us how totally awesome it was gonna be.

It also doesn't hurt that this game is coming from Ubisoft Montpellier, ie the part of the company that makes good games, and not one of the million other divisions which crank out garbage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm with you on that, but there's nothing else I want on release so it's the only game I'm picking up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Red Steel was trashed waaay before release. I mean as soon as Kotaku or whatever was the equivalent then noticed that the game is called "bloody sword" but is rated T and that it began as a PS2 game there was much skepticism.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
ZombiU is one of those games no one would give much of a poo poo about if it was released later in the console's life. That's not to say it's going to be a bad game or anything, but what I've seen just seems so... average. It's got weekend rental written all over it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I generally hate anything zombie related because that genre has been played out for too long, but a lot of the hands on for ZombiU seem pretty positive so far with how they're really trying to make the game both difficult and feel like a survival game by providing you with little to no means to defend yourself. While the concept may not be completely revolutionary, seems like adopting the hard as balls Dark Souls difficulty and applying it to the genre may work out in their favor.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I just enjoy the fact that it's a zombie game where a bite actually kills you, whereas in most zombie games they could be replaced by robots for all the zombie aspect there is. And killing your former zombie self is neat too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Almost Smart posted:

ZombiU is one of those games no one would give much of a poo poo about if it was released later in the console's life. That's not to say it's going to be a bad game or anything, but what I've seen just seems so... average. It's got weekend rental written all over it.

So it's a great launch title then. (remember Kameo, or...Resistance: Fall of Man?)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Louisgod posted:

I generally hate anything zombie related because that genre has been played out for too long, but a lot of the hands on for ZombiU seem pretty positive so far with how they're really trying to make the game both difficult and feel like a survival game by providing you with little to no means to defend yourself. While the concept may not be completely revolutionary, seems like adopting the hard as balls Dark Souls difficulty and applying it to the genre may work out in their favor.

From what little I played it feels like they're definitely going for a middle ground where it's not unfair like parts of the original Resident Evil but still reasonably challenging like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. I never felt like I died for reasons that weren't totally my fault during my play time with it. So I'm hoping the full game keeps that up.

That's the real reason zombies are played out, it's not that there are products with zombies, but that they get shoehorned into everything. Like Human Revolution was one of my favorite games of last year but did it really need an entire zombie level at the end? I'm hoping that ZombiU's status as a reboot/whatever of a zombie game ripped off from a zombie movie about zombies keeps it on track. This stuff was played out and being mocked way before it was even a thing in video games (remember that X-Files episode with Gary Shandling and the sniper zombies?) though so I can understand not being interested.

What was that SWAT spinoff with zombies Irrational was making? That sounded like a genuinely great game too. I forget its name, but I'll never forget why it got canned, the publisher decided that "zombies won't be a popular next year." That January of course saw the release of Resident Evil 4. The way it was structured would actually work great on the WiiU now that I think about it. Imagine something like that or Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes where the commander player can use the tablet as their overhead for coordinating everyone else. Those games were waaaaay ahead of their time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To be fair, the HR zombie level wasn't just another "kill all undead sons'a'bitches", you had the option to sneak through and with good reason to do so. Mostly. I'm looking forward to ZombiU simply because it's a zombie game where you're always on the back foot and no better than a typical NPC (which usually get grabbed and mauled, while all you get a slap and a growl in most zombie games)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Wii U Volume 2: Gamepad! (click)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Louisgod posted:

they're really trying to make the game both difficult and feel like a survival game by providing you with little to no means to defend yourself. While the concept may not be completely revolutionary, seems like adopting the hard as balls Dark Souls difficulty and applying it to the genre may work out in their favor.

This sounds awesome and contradicts everything I've seen. The videos show Resident Touchscreen 5 and (after reading a bit) every article describes Zombie Souls. Maybe this is common knowledge for people following the game. It's news (of the good kind) to me. There can never be enough Souls.

Time to drop a preorder in now instead of waiting until March.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't know. The consoles will sell out but I think there will be a healthy supply of games that aren't Mario. I could try out demos and see for myself if ZombiU is actually a big deal (everything I've been hearing about it is amazing though, but no online? what the gently caress).

There are actually so many choices at launch the sales might be spread a little thin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't know. The consoles will sell out but I think there will be a healthy supply of games that aren't Mario. I could try out demos and see for myself if ZombiU is actually a big deal (everything I've been hearing about it is amazing though, but no online? what the gently caress).

There are actually so many choices at launch the sales might be spread a little thin.

ZombiU is partially online. It works like Demon Souls in that you can run into the zombified versions of other players as well as your own former characters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ZombiU is partially online. It works like Demon Souls in that you can run into the zombified versions of other players as well as your own former characters.

It has the messages and stuff but not the invasions or the co-op which means Demon/Dark souls feel truly connected to other people's worlds.

Plus it has multiplayer, they just decided not to take it online. Which is an asinine move to make in this day and age.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mailer posted:

This sounds awesome and contradicts everything I've seen.

What I mean by that is after reading impressions and interviews, the weapons are purposefully ineffective so that you're encouraged to avoid zombies but also forced to conserve the effective weapons you have when you find them. You can't just go crazy with shooting everything or beating up zombies with a bat, basically.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

What I mean by that is after reading impressions and interviews, the weapons are purposefully unaffective so that you're encouraged to avoid zombies but also forced to conserve the effective weapons you have when you find them. You can't just go crazy with shooting everything or beating up zombies with a bat, basically.

Along that line, it'd be kinda cool if loud weapons attracted zombies. Sure, you just plugged the one that was about to bite you in the face with a 12-gauge, but every other zombie in the building heard that shot and there's nowhere to hide nearby...

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Along that line, it'd be kinda cool if loud weapons attracted zombies. Sure, you just plugged the one that was about to bite you in the face with a 12-gauge, but every other zombie in the building heard that shot and there's nowhere to hide nearby...

I believe that is the case.
Zombi U really looks to me like it will be a cool game, lookin forward to it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Using your guns DOES attract zombies. I can't remember where... but I remember article linked in this thread about a week or so ago that mentioned it.

It talked about how a room would have 2-3 zombies and you could shoot them to kill them easy but then suddenly zombies would be coming.. that you often had to decide of a gun was really worth it due to other zombies coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Zombies are attracted by guns

Huh, I didn't actually know it was implemented that way. Should make things a lot more fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Call of Duty on the WiiU will not be getting the Elite service.

That might say something about Nintendo's online service, lack of internal storage, or just Activision being lazy, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Call of Duty on the WiiU will not be getting the Elite service.

That might say something about Nintendo's online service, lack of internal storage, or just Activision being lazy, who knows.

It is purely activision being lazy, because they're not doing it for the PC version either.

• Locked thread