Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Ain't gotta school me but once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Has anyone successfully redeemed a mountain dew xp code? I don't even drink soda, but bought a bottle of mountain dew today for the code only to find that it was "INVALID" when I tried to use it on the website.

That's probably because some kid used the code without buying the dew. I had a bag of doritos the other day and it worked, giving me 3 games of double exp. The joys of them being printed on the outside of the package. At least I don't have to waste food!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Booties posted:

That's probably because some kid used the code without buying the dew. I had a bag of doritos the other day and it worked, giving me 3 games of double exp. The joys of them being printed on the outside of the package. At least I don't have to waste food!

How does that work exactly, though? The dew codes are only on the bottles, right? They put them under the cap. Dew is just opaque enough that you couldn't really hold the bottle upside down to peek at it.

I actually drink the stuff regularly because I am a goon. I've got a pile of unredeemed caps and I'm wondering if I should be worried about them being already used.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Funkmaster General posted:

How does that work exactly, though? The dew codes are only on the bottles, right? They put them under the cap. Dew is just opaque enough that you couldn't really hold the bottle upside down to peek at it.

OOOOH I thought it was on the outside. Who knows with kids these days. Some are packaged in a case? Hold onto the code and try again. You're logged in with your gamertag and everything, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Funkmaster General posted:

I dunno, people used to steal iTunes codes off sealed bottles of Pepsi the same way and that stuff is pitch black.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

gooby on rails posted:

I dunno, people used to steal iTunes codes off sealed bottles of Pepsi the same way and that stuff is pitch black.

The Pepsi bottles were setup so you could tilt the bottle and tell if you got a winner before buying it. Maybe read the code too, it's been a while?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
First Halo4 TV trailer premieres today on Jimmy Fallon. It was produced by David Fincher. It will blow your mind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

First Halo4 TV trailer premieres today on Jimmy Fallon. It was produced by David Fincher. It will blow your mind.

Really looking forward to this. :)

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Had a Halo nerdage the other day and ordered a bunch of halo shirts off cafepress for 50% off. Is it Nov. 6 yet?

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
That poo poo was awesome.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7dqtgkSWeQ

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Eh. It was alright. Pistol/Shotgun dualwielding let's go.

The description is absurd though:

quote:

Watch the official Halo 4 Launch Trailer, "Scanned." Master Chief's mind is violated by a powerful new enemy, who in searching for Chief's weaknesses, finds the source of his strength.

Was that what I was supposed to get out of it? He's strong because he was a shrimpy kid forever ago and also like alot of dudes died under a scalpel? Or is it because he has weird mother issues with Cortana?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That trailer was really flaccid. Why even get David Fincher involved if the end result is just going to be so flat? I guess the CG looked kind of nice in spots?

Sorry, didn't do anything for me.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Dan Didio posted:

That trailer was really flaccid. Why even get David Fincher involved if the end result is just going to be so flat? I guess the CG looked kind of nice in spots?

Sorry, didn't do anything for me.

The CG looked drat amazing in spots. Otherwise I kind of agree - the trailer was pretty mediocre ( something about the pacing of it, I guess ).

Anyway, that 14-minute multiplayer-video got me more excited than anything, so I'm game. I'm looking forward to this more than I do any other release now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Arthe Xavier posted:

The CG looked drat amazing in spots.

Yeah, some of that stuff looked really, really nice, but the bit at the end and John on the beach just didn't look right.

Which, like, again, if you can't do matte CGI backdrops and you've got David Fincher involved, there's a problem somewhere. I mean, even as a producer or whatever, he should have been able to swing some of that Zodiac clout.

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm looking forward to this more than I do any other release now.

Anniversary kind of passed me by, and to be honest, I was expecting this to do the same, but yeah, I'm really loving excited.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The trailer only really works if you remember The Fall of Reach and the stuff in it about the Chief's origins, but yeah even then it was kind of flat and unexciting; on it's own I'm not sure how it's supposed to make me care about what's happening. The CG was really good though. Were any of those people real?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
An Ancient Evil Awakens

That's the best you guys can do huh

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

An Ancient Evil Awakens

That's the best you guys can do huh

And on this week's episode of "Ancient Galactic Evils", Master Chief faces a new even more dangerous threat than the Flood!

Tune in next week for an even morer dangerous threat than the Ancient Evil!

monheim
Dec 22, 2009

how're things
I'll need to buy a new Xbox if I want Halo 4 (which I really do), but I'm not sure if a 360 is worth $200 near the end of its life cycle. Anyone want to help me in my conflict by convincing me one way or another? :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I see two ways about it. The first is buying 7 year old hardware is just flat out stupid. For nearly any price. For $200 it's pretty darn crazy.

The second is if you want it then you want it and should just spend the money.

victrix posted:

And on this week's episode of "Ancient Galactic Evils", Master Chief faces a new even more dangerous threat than the Flood!

Tune in next week for an even morer dangerous threat than the Ancient Evil!

You know they are gonna need to come up with something to do after this Forerunner stuff is done and they need more Halos. Master Chief and Arbiter search for the fountain of youth? Humanity and the Covenant fight each other on a planet inhabited by space pandas?

oh god I just realized Halo 4 and Aliens 3 have an awful lot of parallels.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

kater posted:

You know they are gonna need to come up with something to do after this Forerunner stuff is done and they need more Halos. Master Chief and Arbiter search for the fountain of youth? Humanity and the Covenant fight each other on a planet inhabited by space pandas?

They could introduce a few actual characters in this trilogy, and then, if there's a trilogy/game after this one, the stakes can be different. Instead of the galaxy or Earth being under threat (I've saved them both, more than once) make it a smaller story about a character being under threat. One that both the player and the Chief actually care about.

Basically, what I'm saying is that since they're crafting the stories, the stakes can literally be whatever they want, because they can make one person as important as the entire galaxy.

Just don't make it Cortana.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 19, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

We're those things supposed to be forerunners? Or what?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Bob NewSCART posted:

We're those things supposed to be forerunners? Or what?

I thought they were supposed to be drones/biological-robot-type things that the Forerunners leftover to defend the shield world (where Halo 4 takes place). Then again, I've read that "Promethean" is a specific class/rank/sub-race of Forerunner, so who knows.

I'm sure they'll explain in the game. Supposedly they're making a concerted effort to bridge the canon details explained in the books; previous Halo games were never really all that good about that kind of stuff, and always seemed to go off on their own tangent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That was pretty cool, but I have to be honest, I really wish you guys hadn't decided to write a story about Master Chief. I liked it better when he was a mystery. He just seemed more badass when I thought of him as just a very talented soldier. Now that we know he is just some kid who was kidnapped from his parents, and engineered into a kill machine, originally to slaughter other humans, it's not as cool anymore.

fluxus posted:

I'll need to buy a new Xbox if I want Halo 4 (which I really do), but I'm not sure if a 360 is worth $200 near the end of its life cycle. Anyone want to help me in my conflict by convincing me one way or another? :(

I got one last year expecting the life cycle to be over this year. The way I justified it to myself was that the system has a crap load of games on it that are worth playing and aren't on any other system. Once the next Xbox comes out, it will only have like three, maybe five games worth playing for the first two years of its cycle; that's how it always works it seems, and the system will be very expensive. So there's still plenty of life in the Xbox really.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 19, 2012

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I said come in! posted:

That was pretty cool, but I have to be honest, I really wish you guys hadn't decided to write a story about Master Chief. I liked it better when he was a mystery. He just seemed more badass when I thought of him as just a very talented soldier. Now that we know he is just some kid who was kidnapped from his parents, and engineered into a kill machine, originally to slaughter other humans, it's not as cool anymore.

Look at this guy who hasn't read the halo books.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't read the halo books.

Lmao, video game books. But no seriously, are there really any good ones? Which ones would I want to check out?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I said come in! posted:

Lmao, video game books. But no seriously, are there really any good ones? Which ones would I want to check out?

No they're all awful but the the first book (which came out like a year after halo 1) is his origin story, so it was existing fiction.

e: Actually it turns out the first book game out before the game thanks wikipedia.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 19, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

No they're all awful but the the first book (which came out like a year after halo 1) is his origin story, so it was existing fiction.

Okay fair enough, liked it better knowing that didn't exist, thanks for ruining everything for me once again Hopterque!

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Eh I have a pretty high bar for fiction books, mainly because I don't have much time to read everything I want to. The first book, Fall Of Reach, is actually pretty good if you are interested in the Halo universe. Personally I thought it made MC a more interesting character rather than 'ruining' him. Yeah it's not the best writing, but it's not bad per se. There's some really cool moments in it that your imagination translates into video-game cutscenes, and it definitely developes the character you play in the games rather than takes away from him.

I've never really wanted to touch the other books though.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

hopterque posted:

e: Actually it turns out the first book game out before the game thanks wikipedia.

I wouldn't say they're all awful. They're certainly not shining examples of literary excellence, but they're pretty decent considering that they're novels set in a video game franchise.

Yeah, Fall Of Reach came out before the first Halo game even came out. It's not like Chief's backstory was some kind of retcon; they've always been upfront about it. The problem is that the games pretty much never directly address anything from the books, making any details from the books feel ancillary rather than essential (which is something Halo 4 supposedly will rectify).

I mean, hell, Dr. Halsey never even showed up (game-wise) until Halo Reach, despite the fact that she's an important character who's been in nearly every novel.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've read some bad books based on video games, and the Halo ones aren't even close to them.

Both Fall of Reach and First Strike are pretty decent. Hell, they are pretty decent all of them (I haven't yet read Glasslands but have heard bad things about it. Gonna read it at some point, though.)
Joseph Staten's Contact Harvest also provided some "behind the scenes" knowledge, while also elaborating on the whole "AIs become rampant after 7 years" that's in the Halo universe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I kind of like how every single thing outside of the games drives home the fact that the UNSC is horrific and if the Covenant weren't around they'd be the bad guys you have to defeat.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 19, 2012

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, some of that stuff looked really, really nice, but the bit at the end and John on the beach just didn't look right.

Which, like, again, if you can't do matte CGI backdrops and you've got David Fincher involved, there's a problem somewhere. I mean, even as a producer or whatever, he should have been able to swing some of that Zodiac clout.

I never would have guessed Fincher was involved from watching that trailer. I mean - it looks nice but anybody could have directed / edited it. Fincher is one of my favorite filmmakers, but his involvement didn't show here at all.

Dan Didio posted:

Anniversary kind of passed me by, and to be honest, I was expecting this to do the same, but yeah, I'm really loving excited.

I bought it a few weeks ago - got it cheap - and it was surprisingly enjoyable. I played the original Halo to death back in the day, and it was pretty cool to re-live that experience with an updated game-engine. The game was much more difficult than I remembered, though ( I played Heroic, but had to switch to Normal on a couple of the later missions :smith: ).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was all about the books until I found out Karin Traviss is writing them now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Arthe Xavier posted:

I never would have guessed Fincher was involved from watching that trailer. I mean - it looks nice but anybody could have directed / edited it. Fincher is one of my favorite filmmakers, but his involvement didn't show here at all.

The first ads for this I saw said he directed it, but since then he's been credited as a producer in everything I've seen so I don't think he was that hands on in the process.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Creepy Goat posted:

Eh I have a pretty high bar for fiction books,......The first book, Fall Of Reach, is actually pretty good
Yeah that describes me perfectly as well, don't have time to squeeze in all the top books so i'm real picky. My favourite series is Goosebumps (R.L. Stine)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Part 3 of Forward Unto Dawn is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBYG77VeCE

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Dan Didio posted:

The first ads for this I saw said he directed it, but since then he's been credited as a producer in everything I've seen so I don't think he was that hands on in the process.

Ah, gotcha. Probably not that much, but just enough to have his name tagged along for posterity.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kirbyabc posted:

Yeah that describes me perfectly as well, don't have time to squeeze in all the top books so i'm real picky. My favourite series is Goosebumps (R.L. Stine)

This is my favorite post ever right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That ending was great. Actually looking forward to next week now.

• Locked thread