Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm sorry that updates have been slow on my part for a while now. Work has decided to eat up more of my free time lately, so I decided to put out this short update. Regular sized updates should start coming regularly again this weekend. Also, there was a weird audio bug in my recording, so there aren't any videos for the two conversations in this update.

Balmorra Episode 1: Bloody and limitless.

Previously...

After destroying the captured Republic superweapon HAMMER STATION, agent CIPHER NINE has arrived on BALMORRA, where she hopes to infiltrate a local terror cell...

: Balmorra. It's home to some of the galaxies largest...

: Boring. Wake me when we need to start shooting people.

: ...Maybe I can leave her here.

: Hey, your holoterminal back here is talking!

: This is Lodenth Kashar, secure transmission established. Apologies, Cipher Nine – Watcher Two is coordinating another operation, but we may review general information while you wait.

: What's the situation?

: Balmorra was an independent corporate world subjugated during the war. Since the treaty, a resistance movement has violently opposed Imperial governance. We believe elements of the Balmorran resistance are secretly supported by the Republic, but Imperial High Command is unconvinced and the information is not public.

: What are the terrorists doing here?

: Watcher Two shall – ah, I will excuse myself.

: Sorry about that, Cipher Nine. Welcome to the eastern galactic front. This whole star system is a crisis point. Republic and Empire are testing one another's strength. Meanwhile, the terrorists lurk in the middle.

: Good to see a friendly face.

: Good seeing you as well. I'm sorry the circumstances have to be unpleasant. The Eagle's men are using the war as a cover for local activities. Balmorra is their training ground. Cell members recruit, instruct and arm new terrorists here – fresh soldiers destined for other points in the network. It's a vital part of the system.

: So, where do I sign up to join?

: That, I can't tell you. But you have the right idea. To dismantle the terror cell there, you'll need local support. I'm alerting one of our officials to your presence. Lekern Renald is the station chief in Sobrik, the Imperial settlement where you landed. He runs Intelligence operations on Balmorra and can brief you more thoroughly.

: What's your assessment of the man?

: He's worked for us for decades. I've never met him, but I expect he's loyal. Renald runs his affairs out of the back of an arms dealership. He'll be waiting for you when you arrive. Move quickly on this one, Cipher Nine, and watch what you say. If things go bad, you'll have half a planet gunning for you.

: Also, Keeper instructed me to tell you that you are authorized to make your presence known to local Imperial commanders and render whatever assistance they may need in the fight against the resistance.

: Wait, so you're saying I have two jobs to do on this planet?

: Yes. Good luck!

Click here to listen to Balmorra's theme. It's very Russian and one of the few tracks of the game I enjoy listening to.

: Agent. Good to see the Empire's finest hitting up this bombed-out crater.

: Uh...and you are...?

: Captain Rigel, Imperial Conquest Consolidation Corps. When the Empire invades, we're the ones who seal the deal.

: I am not the least bit surprised that there is a part of your military devoted to that.

: Don't suppose you're aware of the situation here on Balmorra?

: I've been briefed, but I could use more details.

: It's war, bloody and limitless. The Empire invaded Balmorra in the last war, but we've been spinning our wheels in the mud ever since. Resistance fighters think they can drive the Empire off Balmorra. We're here to prove them wrong.

: How do you expect to succeed where the Imperial Army has failed?

: The army is capable enough, but other soldiers just don't have the capability to handle our specialized missions. The Balmorran government-in-exile, back by former Minister of Defence Vol Argen is giving us fits, backing a strong faction of the resistance. The Minister is safely off planet, but if we break his allies here, we break him. We break him, we break the resistance.

: What about the rest of the Balmorran government-in-exile?

: Vol Argen is the only one with military experience, and he's the most vocal. When we destroy his power base and wipe the floor with his whiskers, none of the others will have the backbone to oppose us. That's why we need to take everything out. Do we have the privilege of your support?

: If the Empire requires it of me.

: Spoken like a true patriot. My second in command, Lieutenant Davrill, is masterminding phase one of what we like to call “Operation Breaking Point.” You'll find him in Sobrik. He's got plans to blow the Balmorran resistance sky-high. I think you'll like them.

: Hold up now, I thought we were here to infiltrate a terrorist cell, not help the Empire kill resistance fighters.

: My orders were also to assist the local forces, which I will do up until it compromises my primary mission. Helping them out a little bit won't be that big of a deal.

: Well then. Welcome to Balmorra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So, wait. We're going to stop an indigenous resistance movement against foreign occupation by demoralizing one person until he throws in the towel? I don't think the Empire is all that good at breaking resistances...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

So, wait. We're going to stop an indigenous resistance movement against foreign occupation by demoralizing one person until he throws in the towel? I don't think the Empire is all that good at breaking resistances...

Yes, because as everyone knows, insurgencies are highly organized and run from the top down.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So, RockPaperShotgun had an interview with the "lead systems designer" of TOR, Damien Schubert. It's pretty interesting generally but then there's this one bit:

Damien Schubert posted:

I actually like, quite a bit, most of Guild Wars 2. But there’s no question in my mind that we feel less like grinding than they do, and a huge part of it is just the context that the story gives you for doing everything. There’s very few situations where it feels purely like you’re just watching a bar go up, right? That’s something that, personally, I’m pretty proud of. We managed to ship an MMO with a fairly long level curve, but where it doesn’t really feel like it drags or like it’s really grinding.

Which...doesn't seem to track given what gets said in the black bars.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Damien Schubert posted:

We managed to ship an MMO with a fairly long level curve, but where it doesn’t really feel like it drags or like it’s really grinding.

Did he say what the name of this MMO is because I'd like to play it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

The first 30 levels of TOR? Seriously you can power through those pretty fast... it's 30-50 that's a complete SLOG.

That said, the Balmorra insurgency is set up morel like it'd be a civil war, with both sides controlling a fairly good amount of the planet, and having governments with embassies etc. However, this is Star Wars, where each planet wears a single hat, has a monolithic power structure, and is taken over by a single Regiment in less than a week.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SirPhoebos posted:

So the chief bad guy gets piss-drunk, an autistic child saves the day, and the highlight is fighting an otter person?

How bad can that be? :v:

This post proves how well I mentally filtered out knowledge of Centerpoint. All I remember is it involved a space station and a huge amount of utter bullshit. These details? Meaningless.

now if I could just similarly purge all knowledge of Kevin J. Anderson's entire existence...

Moon Slayer posted:

:drat:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 18, 2012

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

:ssh: I don't think it's been invented outside of drug halucinations. :)

And for people complaining of the long flights, did none of you use your 30 minute hearthstone at all? By the time i'd done a couple of quests that was cooled down, and saved me all the flying. :)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zaodai posted:

He's a space wizard, though. It's like having a Space Marine surrounded. It just means they may have to go farther to kill you all.

Space Marines call being surrounded and outnumbered a "Target Rich Environment."

edit: Jesus, that'll teach me to hit submit right away and not leave the computer.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Psion posted:

This post proves how well I mentally filtered out knowledge of Centerpoint. All I remember is it involved a space station and a huge amount of utter bullshit. These details? Meaningless.

now if I could just similarly purge all knowledge of Kevin J. Anderson's entire existence...

Because I love inflicting mental anguish on the Internet, once again here's the Let's Read Star Wars thread!:iamafag: (archive required)

Game question: so the Agent arc on Dormond Kass ends with terrorists blowing up a big warship and assassinating a Dark Lord of the Sith? Do the other classes here anything about this? Because one of the cool possibilites in a Narrative-driven MMO is hearing about what the other classes are doing in their class quests. And unless the Empire is being run by Friend Computer, I don't see how an event of this magnitude could be suppressed.

Hmm...a Paranoia MMO? Now that could be interesting :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

Game question: so the Agent arc on Dormond Kass ends with terrorists blowing up a big warship and assassinating a Dark Lord of the Sith? Do the other classes here anything about this? Because one of the cool possibilites in a Narrative-driven MMO is hearing about what the other classes are doing in their class quests. And unless the Empire is being run by Friend Computer, I don't see how an event of this magnitude could be suppressed.

Nope. The events and stories of classes other than your own are never directly mentioned, and rarely referenced at all. I don't think the names Darth Baras, Darth Jadus, or Lord/Darth Zash ever appear outside the appropriate class stories.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

Nope. The events and stories of classes other than your own are never directly mentioned, and rarely referenced at all. I don't think the names Darth Baras, Darth Jadus, or Lord/Darth Zash ever appear outside the appropriate class stories.

What? Damnit Bioware, that's like a no-brainer right there!

But then, that can be said about a lot of what they've made recently :sigh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

What? Damnit Bioware, that's like a no-brainer right there!

But then, that can be said about a lot of what they've made recently :sigh:

It's not the worst of it. There's a certain thing one of our LPers will eventually do in Act 3, should the LP last that long, that should be front-page news for the Republic. But nope, never a word. I'd imagine Troopers hitting their epilogue who don't know the overall story could be very confused by who they're meeting with.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

While the story quests never really intersect there are some neat things with general NPCs. There are a couple of Sith jerks mentioned in the quests on Dromund Kaas that we'll eventually get to meet which I thought was pretty neat. Won't be for quite some time though.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Of the ones I recall, Baras certainly gets mentioned in at least one other class story in passing - I want to say IA but i'm not 100% certain (certainly Imp side.) I think there's a comment regarding the Emperors Wrath that relates to both the SW and JK stories but no other name specifically.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There's actually more cross-faction interaction than there is inter-faction interaction.

A minor example:
Vette's childhood friend Risha is a smuggler companion.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Plus the last or next to last mission for the Agent shows a handful of characters that are mentioned by name or even seen and interacted with several times in other character storylines.

This brings up something that I think is kind of stupid and relates to gameplay mechanics, but it might be kind of spoilers. Is it cool to talk Legacy, or do you want us to wait until you get to that point? I'm assuming someone will show off the gameplay side of things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

whowhatwhere posted:

So, RockPaperShotgun had an interview with the "lead systems designer" of TOR, Damien Schubert. It's pretty interesting generally but then there's this one bit:

Which...doesn't seem to track given what gets said in the black bars.

I'm going to try to dodge any discussion of quality (though it'll probably come through in word choice, it's no secret I'm not fond of SWTOR) to look at what makes GW2's "story-driven" levelling and SWTOR's "story-driven" gameplay different. Because I find these kinds of things interesting.

For SWTOR they said "okay, we need a story that takes the player through every planet they would visit" and did so; the player's story takes them to every point on a planet they may want to visit, which along with the planet's own story quest gives multiple reasons to go to any particular quest hub. It lets you craft a story and be sure the player will see all of it, the downside is that if there's a particularly annoying place (players don't have to agree on which one it is, but there are a few that always come up) it holds the story hostage until you go there.

In GW2 story quests are single quests every 2 levels or so. They don't care where you're making your own story and exploring the rest of the time, you can walk out of a completely different zone, do the story quest, and go back to that completely different zone. The story is a supplement to the rest of the gameplay, rather than being the sole motivator/metric. Painful levelling spots (Orr, all of Orr) can be avoided, aside from an occasional dash to a quest point.

So SWTOR takes the story and uses it to say "this is how you have to go through the planets. If you skip it and go to Kashyyk that's fine, but when you come back we're gonna sent you to Kashyyk anyway." GW2 says "you can go through zones however you like, but there's a bit of story this way. Do it whenever, you may get pointed to a zone you've been to but that just means you can warp right there and then leave." To GW2's credit it also lets them diverge things, where one choice can take you to two different zones instead of doing different things in the same place.

In SW's defense, the stories are quite nice the first time. They just don't give any reason to play another guy of the same class, and the overlap of everything beside class quests makes playing the same faction that much more of a slog as well. GW2 has separate stories for each race until 30, with their own internal variances picked at character creation, then merge into three order questlines with a few choices of places to go, then three "lesser race"-interaction questlines, then a bottleneck, then a choice of three again... and so on. There's less there, every character winds up telling the same story, but how they go about doing it has enough options to stay interesting for at least 2-3 alts or so.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, WoW's actually got more story than usual going on in the new zones but you're pretty much okay to skip around and do or not do everything after the first zone, allowing for the fact that there are some individual things that are important to do even if you skip most of the actual zone they're in.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Laradus posted:

Of the ones I recall, Baras certainly gets mentioned in at least one other class story in passing - I want to say IA but i'm not 100% certain (certainly Imp side.) I think there's a comment regarding the Emperors Wrath that relates to both the SW and JK stories but no other name specifically.

The things you learn in the Warrior storyline are directly relevant to the Knight and Consular... not that this is explained to you AT ALL.

The primary storylines for the game world, from what I can tell, are Warrior, Agent, Consular and Knight. Everyone elses tale is of a much more personal nature.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Apparently they've released a lot more details on F2P; from what I can tell F2P isn't gonna let you do much of an LP in any reasonable timeframe. It's pay or wait, as I think we all expected, but ... wow.

"Buy a license to equip purples" is my favorite.

e: wait I missed it. Pay to sprint. ahahahahah.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

I mean maybe someone who's played this can tell me but it seems like from this thread TOR is a game full of arbitrary fetch quests and waiting and repeating quests and grinding. With this thing having a 3 missions of each type/week restriction, you're going to do all of the above at 10% the speed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 19, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Psion posted:

Apparently they've released a lot more details on F2P; from what I can tell F2P isn't gonna let you do much of an LP in any reasonable timeframe. It's pay or wait, as I think we all expected, but ... wow.

"Buy a license to equip purples" is my favorite.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

I mean maybe someone who's played this can tell me but it seems like from this thread TOR is a game full of arbitrary fetch quests and waiting and repeating quests and grinding. With this thing having a 3 missions of each type/week restriction, you're going to do all of the above at 10% the speed.

No those restrictions only apply to the special missions (Flashpoints, Warzones) that usually require a party -- plus space missions, but that's segregated from the rest of the game. Flashpoints contain story elements, but they're entirely separate from the class/planet missions. I.e., you can do as many regular class/planet mission as you desire as a F2P player.

Some of the F2P limitations are annoying, but they're mostly quality of life issues (having to wait longer to respawn, no sprint by default (!), no rested xp). For the player only interested in the single player content (and you can still group up to do the non-Flashpoint group missions), I think it's not a bad deal, especially if the quality of life upgrades won't be at rip-off prices.

The grinding in the game became too much for me to handle even as a subscriber, so this isn't that attractive a proposition to me, but you do get access to a lot of content for free so I wouldn't call this an unreasonable offer.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Rinkles posted:

The grinding in the game became too much for me to handle even as a subscriber, so this isn't that attractive a proposition to me, but you do get access to a lot of content for free so I wouldn't call this an unreasonable offer.

Plus they're giving paid subscribers some 'free' coins for being subscribers. I'm not sure how that will work out. Like, will my subscription time translate to being able to buy sprint, purple gear, and fleet pass out of the gate and then play story missions for free? I don't see any store numbers.

I'm less bugged by the grind part (or maybe my complaint is the same--just in a different way) but I just unsubbed again because of the *time* it takes to get anywhere. I mean, they're witholding basic mobility stuff from people, I think that's a huge mistake. This game has huge maps and it takes a long time to get anywhere, and unlike single player KOTORs, once you clear an area to get into a cave or something, you aren't then free to walk back out--since it's an MMO stuff respawns and you have to fight again.

Combine that with stuff like the process of leaving your ship and getting to a mission hub sometimes going through 3 'elevators' and weird intermediate areas, and how slow the 'mounts' are in comparison to how far apart things are in the world, and I just don't see normal people sticking with it past the early zones--which are generally more tightly designed than later ones. This LP got me psyched to get back in and play an alt. But then I saw I'd never finished the story arc on my lvl 50 trooper and ... I've spent 2 weeks killing droids and imperials while trying to get the story to resolve, in part because I basically get an hour or so after work to play when I have any time at all, and then I have you know... a wife and a dog and stuff. I can't be spending college-kid levels of time just... walking places. Or tanking 'elites' that have no purpose other than to be in my way and immune to most of my cc.

It's such a shame because the core of it is a great bioware star wars rpg. It's just all the mmo crap that drags it down.

I hope the LPs keep going. I want to live vicariously. Even those videos of the flashpoints that I can fast-forward through on Youtube are way better than grinding my own gear and doing it myself :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Plus they're giving paid subscribers some 'free' coins for being subscribers. I'm not sure how that will work out. Like, will my subscription time translate to being able to buy sprint, purple gear, and fleet pass out of the gate and then play story missions for free? I don't see any store numbers.

What's really low about the whole coins-for-subbing program is that you only get anything out of it if you are subscribed at the time the game goes F2P. And they haven't even announced when that will take place.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
No SPRINT for free? They'll lose everybody within 2 days, tops! I'm enjoying the game OK, but it is WAY too big even at the start to not give Sprint to everyone. Actually a lot of the choices come off as "gouge for basic playability" decisions. Given that class skills require additional support skills to be any good, just one is pathetic, expecially if someone goes crafting by mistake (in WoW terms, it's like making a Leatherworker but not being allowed to get Skinning). The purple bullshit is basically a gently caress you to anybody who gets a lucky drop or crafts 'em. God, if they want a FTP model they should have looked at Star Trek Online; there are tons of conveniences/cool things to buy, but you don't pay through the nose for actual gameplay. Still can't believe they want to charge PER WEEK on things like operations too.

OK, rant over, just got my Bounty Hunter through Balmorra, and I give the planet a resounding "meh". There's nothing about the planet itself that's terribly memorable, though I find it hillarious the ending of the Empire planetary quest apparently doesn't come up for anybody else considering logically the effects on galactic politics should have been huge. Was somewhat annoyed a lot of the heroic missions are 4 man also; I hope that isn't a trend, because advertising in general chat for one person is annoying enough, let alone three. The BH story itself was also fairly bland (I'm looking forward to seeing it spiced up a bit for the LP), but I have to give massive points for dialogue options that let you state for the record (you saw the plot twist coming a million miles off. Other issue I'm noting is it's kinda easy to out-level content; I hit 23 right at the end and Balmorra was a 16-20 zone IIRC. Bit irksome the class missions boil down to "go to one of these two planets" but de facto (and confirmed by the loading screen) you're supposed to go to one first over the other.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty sure that you didn't get sprint until like level 10 when the game first came out. That was idiotic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Veotax posted:

Pretty sure that you didn't get sprint until like level 10 when the game first came out. That was idiotic.

Could someone post a video showing the difference between sprint and the 'default' speed? I want to see how bad it is :shepface:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Sprint chat: What I got from it is that you won't get it at level 1 if FTP but at level 10 instead, unless you buy the level 1 unlock.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior: Update 24 - Rebirth

You tried your best, at least?

Watch this conversation (recommended viewing)

But… if I don’t look… maybe you’re not really here. Oh blast… I looked….
Believe me, it doesn’t help. He’s definitely still there.
Please… please, I--I know why you’re here. The--the Republic… the Republic’s investigating my dad… and an agent’s comin’ to put the screws to me….
But… I won’t break, I promise. Let me live, my dad’s secret is safe with me. I--I’m a rock.
You must think I’m an idiot.
Fine, fine, you’re--you’re an idiot. If it’ll save me, I--I’ll think whatever you want me to.
My father’s done so much for the Empire. Maybe--maybe the apple’s fell off the tree, kinda far from the tree, but--it’s still… the apple’s still…
Uh… not exactly sure where I was goin’ with that. Please don’t kill me!
I’m willing to consider alternatives. Is there another solution?
Hold on, yeah! I just had a thought pop into my head. Quick, before it pops out!
My assignment here was in the medical lab, movin’s supplies and makin’ deliveries. Th--the docs there were working on something really cool.
It was a drug that was supposed to create temporary amnesia, but it wiped the mind totally clean. The test subjects didn’t even know their own names.
Sounds pretty farfetched to me.
I swear it’s true. They tested and tweaked and tested and tweaked, but all it ever did was completely wipe the mind.
You--you could break into the lab and bring back the drug. I’ll overdose and not know nothin’ no more.
That way my dad’s secret identity is safe.
You’ll be getting a second chance at life.
I’ve never had a second chance before.
The medlab is in the back building. The head doc kept a small supply of the drug in his footlocker.

Why?
Roofie?

Yeah, if that’s true, it’s probably ok to kill the doctor while we’re back there.
I’ll wait right here. Like I have a choice.

Watch this conversation (recommended viewing)

Oh, y--you’re back. I was just recallin’ my life. Tryin’ to remember the highlights, since I’m about to have my memory wiped clean.
You know I’m strongly against anything that affects the mind. Killing you would be more humane--
N--no, no, no, the mind wipe is fine! I’d far prefer the mind wipe!

Think I’m done. Not much to reflect on…so, did you get the drug? I’m actually lookin’ forward to startin’ over.
Try not to screw up your new life.
At least if I do, hopefully it will be in new and more exciting ways.
Here goes nothing’, I guess.
You may want to take off your--

:ughh:

Wuh…? Who are you?

I--I… I have no idea who I am. Do you know? Can you tell me?
Don’t let anyone tell you who you are. Goodbye.

Should I take that personally, Vette?
Of course not. I’ll never be able to forget you.
Let’s move on, shall we?

Recommended Listening

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 20, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

You--you could break into the lab and bring back the drug. I’ll overdose and not know nothin’ no more.

PTN, you accidentally used the wrong portrait for this line, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Ensign Wuss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So, uh, you killed several more people in order to get the drug so you wouldn't have to kill one person?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

So, uh, you killed several more people in order to get the drug so you wouldn't have to kill one person?

They were armed.

But yeah, 100% light side choice. I actually consider killing Durmat the lesser evil here.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
So, wiping the dude's mind is the light-side option. Why is that? Personally, I don't see any real difference between wiping away all of his memories and killing him.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My favorite part of it is that the check to make sure he was actually an amnesiac now was about as thorough as an old school concussion test in football.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"
"..3?"
"Close enough. Back on the field!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

They were armed.

Ah, so you should have brought a drop gun to give Durmat.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Eldataluta posted:

So, wiping the dude's mind is the light-side option. Why is that? Personally, I don't see any real difference between wiping away all of his memories and killing him.

Kinda reminds me of kotor 1 what with how killing you would be morally abhorrent and darksidey so instead we will just wipe your memory and manipulate you towards our own ends... yeah

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SpRahl posted:

Kinda reminds me of kotor 1 what with how killing you would be morally abhorrent and darksidey so instead we will just wipe your memory and manipulate you towards our own ends... yeah

That's becaus Jedi by nature are loving morons.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

SpRahl posted:

That whole thing just bothers the hell out of me.

We've captured the greatest threat to the galaxy. Let's brainwash him and force him to work for us now! No, we won't execute him. Jedi never execute their prisoners. That would be evil.

It would be one thing if they asked him if he wanted to be mindwiped instead of executed, but they didn't. And nobody ever brings up the nasty subject of consent once.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just a reminder that KOTOR 1 and 2 spoilers do not need to be tagged, unless someone objects, in which case, why haven't you played KOTOR yet?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eldataluta posted:

It would be one thing if they asked him if he wanted to be mindwiped instead of executed, but they didn't. And nobody ever brings up the nasty subject of consent once.

You can get extremely pissed off at Bastila (the only representative of the Jedi in the vicinity) when the truth comes out on the Leviathan.

• Locked thread