Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah...I'm still not completely sold on Rocky, but if that track is indicative of the album as a whole, it's gonna be the surprise hit of the year.

LiveLove was the poo poo bro. Nearly every single song on that album is a banger. However I can understand why people might be judging him wrong. For me, he's the most feel good artist since Busta.

EDIT: Just realised my name contains ASAP. Apologies, I'm not a fanboy I swear! :hawaaaafap:

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

i liked 90% of liveloveasap, but this new track does nothing for me.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

What are the best Gucci mixtapes? I listened to and really liked Hard to Kill and I've heard Trap God.
Off the top of my head: Chicken Talk, Mr. Zone 6, The Burrprint: The Movie 3D

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Muck and Mire posted:

What are the best Gucci mixtapes? I listened to and really liked Hard to Kill and I've heard Trap God.

lol thats like asking what someone's favorite screw tape is

check out the movie, the movie hd, the movie 3d, from zone 6 to duval

for more current beats the ones from earlier this year are good

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cardedagain posted:

i liked 90% of liveloveasap, but this new track does nothing for me.

for real? do you like drake?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

temple posted:

I'd say the same about Katie Got Bandz.

Woahhhh. Thanks. I avoided all that drill poo poo but I just got lost in youtube with Katie Got Bandz and Sasha GoHard.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
GKMC is probably a classic concept album. It's not illmatic, but it was never going to be. Kendrick is definitely his own breed. The mixture of everyday quirkiness, street life, and introspection is awesome.

This verse sums up a lot of album.

quote:

Hot sauce in my Top Ramen, ya bitch
Parked the car and then we started rhyming, ya bitch
The only thing we had to free our mind
Then freeze that verse when we see dollar signs

Just awesome. Comparisons to MBDTF are pretty accurate imo. It's like the hood version of that album or something. Take out the money, the cars, and the success in general, you might get GKMC.

On a song by song basis, Section 80 might be stronger. Anyone that flips through the clips on itunes will probably be disappointed. None of the choruses catch me like Ronald Reagen Era or even ADHD did, so I was initially dissapointed. But Kendrick is going for something different here I think, and it works better as a whole.

also my friend works at a record store where kendrick did a signing recently and apparently he was kind of a dick

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 19, 2012

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Muck and Mire posted:

This year's run has been really good. Trap Back and I'm Up are definitely worth checking out if you liked Trap God. Lots of zaytoven, mikewill, lex luger, sizzle, drumma boy, etc.

Gucci Sosa, Writing on the Wall, EA Sportscenter, The Movie 3 are all great. Pretty much anything from his 08-09 run is great and worth listening to.

I just can't get into Kendrick. I'ma listen to GKMC and see if it changes my mind but there's just something bout the dude's music that grates me

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I think i have listened to MAAD City like 80 times at this point and it still owns real loving hard

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think anyone comparing GKMC to MBDTF is reaching pretty drat far

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Wezlar posted:

NAH

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Diodeous posted:

So what you're trying to say is that you think Q is the standout because you don't really listen to Ab-Soul much, haven't listened to Jay Rock and have pretty much just listened to one Kendrick album? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right

Hey, I'm owning up to that rather than saying that Q is the best and can't refute poo poo. If people wanna post some songs from Jay and Ab-Soul that got them hooked, I'm down to listen. But while Kendrick is good, he can't hook me but Q is just too raw. It's the parts of Kendrick that I like such as the beats and some of the wordplay, but rawer and harder.

EDIT: For Gucci mixtapes, I got into him via the Cold War Series (Guccimerica and Great Brrtain in particular) and The Movie 3-D: The Burrprint.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 19, 2012

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I've been listening to GKMC for about 2 days straight and it's really grown on me. Previously I would of said Mr Thug Isolation was album of the year no question but this gives it a run for its money. Very different from section.80, but it works. I still listen to MTI like once a week, wonder if this will have the same longevity

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 19, 2012

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I wasn't a fan of "I'm Up" but I really like the new Gucci tape -- feels more subdued or something, I can't really describe it.

The new Skyzoo is fairly solid as well.

Wezlar posted:

Why?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

asap-salafi posted:

kendrick > schoolboy q

also, loving that new asap/kendrick/drake/2chainz track! been playing it all day.

Thank you Joffrey avatar dude.

Is there even a reason to argue "kendrick > Q"? Both guys just drop great tracks

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Completely different themes, production and lyrical content?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

its the one rap album non rap fans will listen to this year you cant really blame them for trying to relate it to the one rap album they listened to last year, 2010, whatever

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Nah, they'll be listening to Macklemore too

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I think Section.80 was just a much different kind of a rap release. GKMC is definitely more traditional, maybe more accessible in terms of the sound. My favorite track off of S80, Spiteful Chant, or anything of the sort would not have fit in on this album. Personally I'm glad GKMC sounds the way it does. Is it better than S80 from top to bottom? Maybe not, but the highs of the album (Money Trees, MAAD City, Sing About Me) might well be the best tracks Kendrick has ever released. It's definitely my album of the year at this point. I do wish Cartoons & Cereal was on there though.

And gently caress a Mackelmore

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 19, 2012

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eXquire's dropping an EP in a couple of weeks. Look at these muthafuckin production credits.

01. CAri ZALloni (Produced by Dot Da Genius)
02. Cheap Whores & Champagne (Produced by Harry Fraud)
03. Telephuck (ft. Gucci Mane) (Produced by El-P)
04. Supa Speaks (Interlude)
05. AGGIN LAER (ft. Goldie Glo) (Produced by SpaceGhostPurrp)
06. The Message Pt.1 & 2 (Produced by BSBD)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Gucci over an El-P beat :stare:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

Gucci over an El-P beat :stare:

the song's already on youtube, its good but gucci's had better verses

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011
http://soundcloud.com/universalrepublic/mr-mfn-exquire-telephuck-feat

pretty great, plus the soundcloud looks like a dong, love eXqo's new cover art direction; he also released another free album yesterday, possibly most consistent set yet, enjoying the SF direction, he should prob collab w/ Ab-Soul and poo poo

...oh, the album's here: http://beatsandblood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/ringo-mandingo-on-attack-new.html

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011
I also can't stop putting the Gucci feature 'Superstitious' on Main Attrakionz' - very very good - 'debut', Bossalinis & Fooliyones, on repeat... I like GKMC too and poo poo, but both these deserve near as much, if not more, shine.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

dieFALKENATOR posted:

I also can't stop putting the Gucci feature 'Superstitious' on Main Attrakionz' - very very good - 'debut', Bossalinis & Fooliyones, on repeat... I like GKMC too and poo poo, but both these deserve near as much, if not more, shine.

yeah, gucci really kills that track. Bossalinis was solid all the way through, and probably my favorite thing out of main attraktionz since 808s&DG 2

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

farmtrill posted:

its the one rap album non rap fans will listen to this year you cant really blame them for trying to relate it to the one rap album they listened to last year, 2010, whatever

Thats not me homie. Its a bit of a stretch but i still think the comparison works. Sonically, theyre very different, and kdot n yeezy are very different rappers, but both albums explore a lifestyle though two very different ones.

Or maybe not

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Every time I hear "Real" off GKMC I can't help but think of how much the synth on the beat reminds me of "Excuse Me Miss" I'm warming up to the album but I still think there is way too much filler. They could have left 'Sing About Me' intact as is and cut the rest of the filler sections and it would've been a much tighter album IMHO. Also the Drake feature is terrible, cut that song as well.

Rap artists shouldn't be afraid to release <60 min albums (GKMC minus bonus clocks in at 1h8m).

edit: Funny thing I just noticed, MBDTF is also 1h8m (actually 16 seconds longer). It has its fair share of filler too but I think stuff like the Chris Rock section, the vocoder solo, the extended instrumental section on Devil in a New Dress seem to fit a little bit better in the context of the album. Still hate the Nicki intro though.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 20, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

hobbez posted:

Thats not me homie. Its a bit of a stretch but i still think the comparison works. Sonically, theyre very different, and kdot n yeezy are very different rappers, but both albums explore a lifestyle though two very different ones.

Or maybe not

That's such a vague and undefined statement that really it could apply to anything. Like 99% of rap explores a lifestyle.

About the only real link I can see is that both dudes are like totally...earnest and sincere. There is very little artifice or w/e (which has always been a hallmark of Kendrick).

But yeah that Exquire tape is real nice, the first half of "gently caress Your Moms" had me laughing my rear end off.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think the comparison kinda works because of the introspective nature of the two albums. They're both pretty maximalist in terms of style and production. Dense and substantive, they both utilize in-depth themes in the way they examine the harsh realities of life. The picture painted is more gritty and at times visceral than most major label rap -- for lack of a better word: more realistic. It isn't all just idolizing the money and women; Kendrick seems to rap more cautiously around those subjects while considering how the thug mentality/lifestyle can weigh heavily on one's soul.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

thathonkey posted:

I think the comparison kinda works because of the introspective nature of the two albums. They're both pretty maximalist in terms of style and production. Dense and substantive, they both utilize in-depth themes in the way they examine the harsh realities of life. The picture painted is more gritty and at times visceral than most major label rap -- for lack of a better word: more realistic. It isn't all just idolizing the money and women; Kendrick seems to rap more cautiously around those subjects while considering how the thug mentality/lifestyle can weigh heavily on one's soul.

:goonsay:

(I actually agree though)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Even the song lenghths and production is highly infuenced by ye

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

And Outkast did had long songs with with big old instrumental sections before that.
Kanye is one of the most if not the most influential people in the rap game and Kendrick has quoted him in other songs (and dressed like him in the Swimming Pools video); but the albums are pretty drat different and the two artists are at entirely different points in their careers so I don't think the comparisons are really meaningful.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
But Kanye is the only critical comparison I can make. I'd say GKMC is like the Marshall Mathers LP, good sir.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

snyprmag posted:

And Outkast did had long songs with with big old instrumental sections before that.

Despite being from very different scenes and eras, I think Aquemini is a more apt comparison for GKMC than MBDTF.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Just as long as we establish that Kanye isn't the end all be all of hiphop.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hell yes.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
They debuted a song with Das Racist and Killer Mike not long ago. It's pretty swell.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QCXMsELQE

Apparently this exists. Kind of underwhelming, but its better than Meth's last video, in which he name dropped ODB in a track shilling Sour Patch Kids.

Besson fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 21, 2012

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The Man With the Iron Fists soundtrack is pretty amazing so far. I hope every movie RZA directs has a soundtrack this awesome.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

when does this come out, coup owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GET MONEY posted:

Despite being from very different scenes and eras, I think Aquemini is a more apt comparison for GKMC than MBDTF.

I'd say it's more like ATLiens, but any of those two are a MUCH better comparison than Kanye's last one.

• Locked thread