Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I had a PL like that too. He was like YOU'RE AN E5 AND CAN'T RUN LOWER THAN A 14:30?!?!?!? OR STAY IN MY 5-6 MILE RUNS @ A 7 MINUTE PACE?!

It's was like "No douche. I can barely sustain a loving 2 mile doing 7 minute mile without puking my guts out. What the gently caress makes you think I can do it for loving 5 or 6?"

But he could barely do 50 push ups....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So what you're basically saying is that the PL you replaced is an officer. Because officers love themselves some runnin'.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Kaliber posted:

I had a PL like that too. He was like YOU'RE AN E5 AND CAN'T RUN LOWER THAN A 14:30?!?!?!? OR STAY IN MY 5-6 MILE RUNS @ A 7 MINUTE PACE?!

It's was like "No douche. I can barely sustain a loving 2 mile doing 7 minute mile without puking my guts out. What the gently caress makes you think I can do it for loving 5 or 6?"

But he could barely do 50 push ups....

I don't get where this poo poo comes from. It's like we never won a war without running really fast or something.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWdp2h00Ho

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Nobody cares about the numerous failings of your retarded organization.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

Nobody cares about the numerous failings of your retarded organization.

The Army?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

And the Marines according to Terminal Lance
http://terminallance.com/2012/07/26/terminal-lance-214-meritorious/

vains
May 26, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509712

If you want to whine about the Army, do it in the Army thread. Thanks in advance!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

psydude posted:

Went to the Relax-Relax-Relax method for an easy 240.

Of the 1,020 seconds alloted for the 2 mile run, I needed 1,016 of them.

I'm still too fat for the army.

keepitlikeitwas
Oct 14, 2012
The best gains I've gotten in almost a decade in the military came from kettle bells. I was normally a runner, however, being on a lovely JCOB put a damper on it. I spent some time using kettle bells while supplementing with P-90X, and came back still scoring over a 300.

Also, no more back pain, ever.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

keepitlikeitwas posted:

The best gains I've gotten in almost a decade in the military came from kettle bells. I was normally a runner, however, being on a lovely JCOB put a damper on it. I spent some time using kettle bells while supplementing with P-90X, and came back still scoring over a 300.

Also, no more back pain, ever.

Just doing swings? Or some sick kettlebell workout.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dick swings.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

In a lovely hotel right now in Vietnam and all I have for work out equipment is the 24 KG kettle bell, 16KG kettle bell, 10 lbs and 20 lbs slam ball I brought along. My E5 should be bringing along the bowflex dumbbell that goes up to 90 lbs and the dip bars when he comes.

Trying to figure out a PT plan for myself because all the teams coming back from our missions got a PT test the week after we get back.

I figure if I can do 15minutes of air squats I can run my 2 miles in 15minutes right?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
A cool kb workout my Marine bros and I would do involved a deck of cards. Each suit had it's own exercise such as goblet squats, one arm snatches, kb swings, and one arm over head presses. The number of the card determined the reps. Jokers were 50x push-ups. You can do some core stuff with those slam balls too like sit-up throws, and sit-up trunk twists.

Squatting isn't going to help much with running dude, so I'd suggest getting a jump rope, or just going out for an actual run through the streets if you can manage it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I've decided to invest in making my basement a weight room after I couldn't use the squat rack today because four guys spent a half hour doing calf raises in it.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Squats are useless anyway

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I ran relatively hard on the treadmill this morning and have been mentally confused and light headed at work all day. That's a good sign, right?

vains
May 26, 2004

barbudo posted:

You don't rate enough to troll this thread.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Crazy Mike posted:

I ran relatively hard on the treadmill this morning and have been mentally confused and light headed at work all day. That's a good sign, right?

Um, did you eat and drink after your workout? Usually people who feel like complete rear end for long periods of time after a good run are a bit dehydrated as well as needing(needed) some carbs post workout.

However, feeling like your did work is pretty much always a sign that you did something right.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If I run extra hard I pretty reliably get the squirts.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

barbudo posted:

Kind of like showers.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

MurderBot posted:

Um, did you eat and drink after your workout? Usually people who feel like complete rear end for long periods of time after a good run are a bit dehydrated as well as needing(needed) some carbs post workout.

However, feeling like your did work is pretty much always a sign that you did something right.

16 oz Gatorade and a protein bar an hour later. I ran about as hard today and don't feel light headed, so that's improvement.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kaliber posted:

In a lovely hotel right now in Vietnam and all I have for work out equipment is the 24 KG kettle bell, 16KG kettle bell, 10 lbs and 20 lbs slam ball I brought along. My E5 should be bringing along the bowflex dumbbell that goes up to 90 lbs and the dip bars when he comes.

Trying to figure out a PT plan for myself because all the teams coming back from our missions got a PT test the week after we get back.

I figure if I can do 15minutes of air squats I can run my 2 miles in 15minutes right?

you should be getting plenty of cardio wearing your flame thrower and chasing down charlie and the villagers harboring him

there is a real sick arm workout you can do while in vietnam is called the mow-mow..its how christopher walken got totally shredded I'll show you an example vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqakCa-MysE

gotta be 3 bullets tho.

vains
May 26, 2004

Yo what are some good ways to keep track of calories/get into the swing of doing that?

Obviously, I need to get a scale but like...gear, tricks to get into the habit etc.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Yo what are some good ways to keep track of calories/get into the swing of doing that?

Obviously, I need to get a scale but like...gear, tricks to get into the habit etc.

If you're talking about food logs myfitnesspal.com is pretty good. For logging weightlifting/cardio, I use a small notebook and then log poo poo on fitocracy.com.

Keeping a notebook of workouts triggers something in your brain to actually commit to it just a bit more. I can say that in the past 7 months I've kept one that I haven't missed a workout or haven't done most, if not all, of the poo poo I had planned to for that day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mapmyrun has a pretty good calorie tracking feature for all types of exercise (including weight training) and food. I believe it also adjusts calorie expenditure based upon your weight.

I'm not sure what your goal is, but in the past I've had a lot of success in cutting by simply calculating BMR and adjusting caloric intake for 200 calories underneath that. By doing any additional physical activity, you're adding to the deficit.

vains
May 26, 2004

I should have specified 'caloric intake'. I already keep track of my lifts because I'm not some scrub. Keeping track of how many calories you "burn" is retarded.

I know that I'm not eating enough. The logical thing seems to be to keep track of how much I eat. To that end, I need a scale, some way to keep track of caloric intake and, most importantly, I need to develop the habit.

edit: BMR is a joke. Mine says that I'm so disgustingly obese that I can't see my dick.

vains fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 2, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're confusing Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), the estimate of the number of calories, adjusted by weight, you burn each day just by living, with Body Mass Index (BMI), an outdated measure of fatness.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

You're confusing Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) with Body Mass Index (BMI).

Oh true.

In either case, I planned setting a goal of 2900-3100 calories and seeing if I gained or lost weight and adjusting from there.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Veins McGee posted:

Oh true.

In either case, I planned setting a goal of 2900-3100 calories and seeing if I gained or lost weight and adjusting from there.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Try that and then the daily needs calculator after it. 3000 calories is a lot of food dude I think you're overestimating unless you're doing serious workouts 5 days a week.

vains
May 26, 2004

SneakySnake posted:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Try that and then the daily needs calculator after it. 3000 calories is a lot of food dude I think you're overestimating unless you're doing serious workouts 5 days a week.

Since it spits out a value based on my height and weight, it's probably isn't worth anything beyond an okay starting point.

How did you all(as in, anyone that does this) get in the habit of keeping track of your caloric intake? White board on the fridge? Precooked and portioned foods? Just loving do it(the least helpful tip to get in the habit)?

Here is a cool picture from YLLS. Thanks for reading!

vains fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

How did you all(as in, anyone that does this) get in the habit of keeping track of your caloric intake? White board on the fridge? Precooked and portioned foods? Just loving do it(the least helpful tip to get in the habit)?

I kept my calorie log alongside my workout log. I pre-portioned food that was bought in bulk and read the labels for everything else. You're already going to keep the workout log, so it makes sense to keep the calorie log with it. But to be honest, the best setup in the world isn't going to work unless you Just loving Do It.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Second that. If you do it for long enough you can almost count it in your head as you go along if you get incredibly OCD about it. The beginning kind of sucks because you gotta measure poo poo out, look it up, add it up and then you know. After a while you start to remember things such as: okay my oatmeal that contains 1C oats, 1C yogurt etc etc has exactly 450 calories.

Oh, and get one of these, since it's portable and you can write poo poo down on the go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 3, 2012

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
The light green clothbound hardback govt issue books are amazing for logging anything and everything.

The Chap
Nov 4, 2012
i got started this deployment in june as a fat POS as far as the army is concerned, running a 19min 2 mile and passing push ups by 1 coming in at 70 inches and a scale busting 205lbs of pure pound cake. but its a deployment to Kuwait which is really just like a lovely day at work anywhere else in the army so ive got nothing better to do.

enter workout plan.

20 min of cardio @ 60-80% max heart rate to start every workout

then i do the muscle groups like any other soldier, bis/tris one day, back/shoulders the next ect ect. i wont bore you with the counts or any of that fun stuff but ill tell you i do less weight than most but i never stop, i super set all my workouts with 15 secs in between sets.

finish off with 20 more min of interval cardio and 10 min of stair stepper.

supliment with you Pre work out of choice and ive gone from 205 to 170 and a 270 on the pt test in just a few months, also i eat like a fat kid, so if you have more discipline then me there you mileage may vary

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've decided that running in the cold is always terrible. Also, I hate how quickly cardiovascular fitness fades. You can go 2 or 3 weeks without lifting and jump right back into it. 2 or 3 weeks without running and it's like you've been a pack a day smoker for 5 years with a KFC addiction.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

psydude posted:

I've decided that running in the cold is always terrible. Also, I hate how quickly cardiovascular fitness fades. You can go 2 or 3 weeks without lifting and jump right back into it. 2 or 3 weeks without running and it's like you've been a pack a day smoker for 5 years with a KFC addiction.

I broke my foot in June and am going to be allowed to run again in a week or two. I'm not looking forward to my regression.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

psydude posted:

God this. gently caress running

vains
May 26, 2004

I'm about to hit a personal goal on the bench(225x10) and I'd like to switch up chest day for a few weeks. Currently I do:
Barbell flat
Incline dumbbell
Cable cross over
Pec Deck

I'm looking to replace barbell flat and incline dumbbell with something that is easy on the shoulders and involves free weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

A lot of my power lifter friends get good mileage out of close-grip bench. I like paused bench. Maybe try pin press, too?