Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Will have to see this later, especially with my new perspective on Flair.

In regards to the HHH/Flair match (which is incredible), make sure you watch the promo that Flair did to convince the fans to make it a cage match. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Not yet, it is on the queue though!

There were many truly great wrestlers in that time period it seems. Is it a result of the territory system? There were more markets, so more opportunity for a lot of great talent to rise up around the nation is my assumption.

Basically. With the territory system you had dozens of touring companies based in various cities. That meant there was a need for top workers and drawing cards in Florida, Georgia, New York, the Carolinas, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, the Midwest, Memphis, Texas, SF, LA, Oregon, etc etc. That meant there were many more wrestlers making a living at their craft back then, more dates to work, more great workers to learn from, and so there were more greats.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Have you watched his I Quit match with Terry Funk that followed on from Wrestlewar 89? That match is pretty much :stare: personified and it'll make you realize just how great Terry Funk was as well.

It's also a great example of how well Flair could do as a babyface too. That and the run up to the first Starrcade.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 20, 2012

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Flair's personality was always sort of ideal for working both sides. As an heel he's an arrogant showoff with lots of money (well, in character.) As a face he's a charming son-of-a-gun. He never even had to change that much about how he acted.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

Flair's personality was always sort of ideal for working both sides. As an heel he's an arrogant showoff with lots of money (well, in character.) As a face he's a charming son-of-a-gun. He never even had to change that much about how he acted.

Crazy Ric is the best Ric.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Crazy Ric is the best Ric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxWUKMJfEI

Yup.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As for wrestling questions - What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment? It's hard to nail down in a career that spanned so many decades and includes so much gold, but for me I don't think anything can top,"Did you know that when Shane and Stephanie sold their stock to that consortium.... that the consortium.... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... the consortium..... WAS ME!?!"

I bet on a winner last night!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZLPaT2z05w

Flair basically being a mafia don. I loved Evolution.

But really, the Funk/Flair I Quit match or RR92.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 20, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

As for wrestling questions - What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment?

I realize it's trite but the 1992 Royal Rumble.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Jerusalem posted:

As for wrestling questions - What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment?

I think I go Funk/Flair I Quit match too. I also really liked his work with Edge in the TLC match just because of the natural drama built in and how well they both played with it.

Also, everyone go ahead and type "FIRE ME?! I'M ALREADY FIRED!" in caps because we all want too.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Not yet, it is on the queue though!

There were many truly great wrestlers in that time period it seems. Is it a result of the territory system? There were more markets, so more opportunity for a lot of great talent to rise up around the nation is my assumption.

Guys used to have a hell of a lot more seasoning before they cane up on television. People like Jericho or Guerrero or Michaels had years of experience under their belts before they ever saw a camera. Seems to me like one of the main reasons talent doesn't seem as polished as they were in eras gone by.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

As for wrestling questions - What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment? I

This is mostly from the same promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRBkAG_iY4

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to the HHH/Flair match (which is incredible), make sure you watch the promo that Flair did to convince the fans to make it a cage match. :allears:
Isn't that the promo where he takes off the bandage on his forehead and progressively becomes bloodier and bloodier?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Glamorama26 posted:

I think I go Funk/Flair I Quit match too. I also really liked his work with Edge in the TLC match just because of the natural drama built in and how well they both played with it.

I'm gonna go Funk/Flair because that feud showed off how good of a promo Flair was; he could transition between bragging about his watch, talking about his opponent, and firing up the crowd to make them think someone's manhood was at stake, all in the same promo. He was way more versatile on the mic than most guys before and since.

And of course Funk made you think that he was a) insane and b) going to literally murder Flair with his bare hands. He brought something out of Ric that a lot of guys didn't, and so their matches were special in ways that even the Flair/Steamboat matches (which was incredible) weren't.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jerusalem posted:

What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment?

When he placed third in People Magazine's "Most Beautiful People" online poll in 1998. :v:

In all seriousness, I can just safely say "all of the 1980s" from when I saw him. No matter who he wrestled, a Flair match was almost always guaranteed to be a good one to watch. I was lucky enough to see him in his prime, and got to see him wrestle a ton of stars: Race, Luger, Sting, Funk, Steamboat, the Von Erichs, Nikita Koloff, Magnum TA...and of course, the man he says would probably be his best opponent ever, Dusty Rhodes. If like me, you were able to watch wrestling during the era of Dusty vs. the Horsemen, you knew you were seeing some rasslin' history in the making.

Here's a great promo from the Nature Boy himself, back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yinr7RVSdM

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Flair/Windham are facing Gilbert and a mystery partner. The partner is revealed to be Steamboat and Flair starts freaking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMNhvXLv2E

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

bobkatt013 posted:

Flair/Windham are facing Gilbert and a mystery partner. The partner is revealed to be Steamboat and Flair starts freaking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMNhvXLv2E

Thanks for the spoiler alert jerkface.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

As for wrestling questions - What is everybody's favorite Ric Flair moment? It's hard to nail down in a career that spanned so many decades and includes so much gold, but for me I don't think anything can top,"Did you know that when Shane and Stephanie sold their stock to that consortium.... that the consortium.... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... the consortium..... WAS ME!?!"

I bet on a winner last night!

I loved his match against Barry Windham from the Ultimate Collection DVD. I only started watching wrestling in 2000 so old matches always seemed boring to me (so many restholds, no cool moves) until I saw that match and everything just clicked. Can't find it online but here's another match they had that was probably good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz7i1o0tg6o

Can't find a video for this either but I really liked his I Quit match against Foley at Summerslam 2006. It was a really cool time for him, winning secondary titles left right and centre fresh off the Evolution break-up, and he did a lot of funny stuff during the match (humping the air after doing the strut, yelling "I'll kill you too you stupid bitch" at Melina). Great stuff.

And his promo vs Jay Lethal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVU0MW-IGrM

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Frot Lesnar posted:

Calling goatse clever is stretching it.

No one noticed this, so I don't know if this was on purpose or not. But if it was, :golfclap:

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I've recently made it my mission to see more wrestling outside my usual sphere (which is really only WWE and TNA, and TNA only for a few months). From what little I've seen, I really like Kana and Sara Del Ray and want to see more of them in particular. So I'm looking for match suggestions, preferably something I can just watch online, but any recommendations are good. Thanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Quasipox posted:

I've recently made it my mission to see more wrestling outside my usual sphere (which is really only WWE and TNA, and TNA only for a few months). From what little I've seen, I really like Kana and Sara Del Ray and want to see more of them in particular. So I'm looking for match suggestions, preferably something I can just watch online, but any recommendations are good. Thanks.

SDR's series with Mercedes Martinez in SHIMMER was pretty drat good. Just two tough bitches beating the hell out of each other to prove who's the best. It's not the kind of feud you can do that often, as there really wasn't a heel/face dynamic. But it's completely different than almost any women's match you'd see in WWE or TNA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Quasipox posted:

Have you seen the great match they had against each other that main evented a CHIKARA show last year yet?

http://www.smvod.com/premium-video/chikara-october-8-2011-klunk-love-kingsport-tn

Here's some free highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYP0sGn5M0&t=235s

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 21, 2012

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Was there ever an explanation for who decided to try to censor RAW's mention of moving to the USA network during their last show on Spike TV? Even for Spike it's hard to imagine someone basically trying to out-carny the WWE live on television.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The best part of that episode is Hacksaw coming out and getting everybody to chant USA.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

The best part of that episode is Hacksaw coming out and getting everybody to chant USA.
Did this really happen?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I remember it happening, though it may have been something I thought they should've done.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

SDR's series with Mercedes Martinez in SHIMMER was pretty drat good. Just two tough bitches beating the hell out of each other to prove who's the best. It's not the kind of feud you can do that often, as there really wasn't a heel/face dynamic. But it's completely different than almost any women's match you'd see in WWE or TNA.

Thauros posted:

Have you seen the great match they had against each other that main evented a CHIKARA show last year yet?

http://www.smvod.com/premium-video/...ve-kingsport-tn

Here's some free highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYP0sGn5M0#t=235s

I haven't seen any of these, but I'm definitely going to. All day, I've been marathoning all the ROH DVDs I bought last year, so this is something else to watch now. Thanks a lot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRayPer posted:

Basically. With the territory system you had dozens of touring companies based in various cities. That meant there was a need for top workers and drawing cards in Florida, Georgia, New York, the Carolinas, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, the Midwest, Memphis, Texas, SF, LA, Oregon, etc etc. That meant there were many more wrestlers making a living at their craft back then, more dates to work, more great workers to learn from, and so there were more greats.

Plus, with rotating between territories, you get to be real good at making a crowd give a poo poo about you in a very short timeframe.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So I was home sick from work all of last week and somehow ended up mindlessly clicking videos on YT. I, of course, ended up on wrestling videos and man was there some stuff going on there.

From awesome Attitude Era things like a bazillion Rock promos and Mankind turning back into Cactus Jack against HHH to some crazy rear end WCW bullshit that seriously blew my mind (again) to some Legends of Wrestling roundtables, topping it off with a re-watch of Beyond the Mat.. it was all pretty good and fun stuff. Way nostalgic and fun to see, especially since I apparently only remembered the Mick Foley part at the end of Beyond the Mat where he's all shocked at the reaction of his kids (what did you expect, Mick?) and then just goes and does it all again anyway because.. well, he's Mick Foley.

My first question here is, was the HHH/Mankind/Cactus Jack stuff awesome? I don't remember it and it sounded awesome but I couldn't find anything but the maybe 1.5 minute Mankind promo where he goes "YOU MIGHT KNOW HIM, HE'S CACTUS JACK!", rips off his Mask and HHH has the biggest, most awesome "oh my god I'm making GBS threads my pants more than ever before" look on his face.

Of course I couldn't end all this on the good stuff and somehow stumbled upon a video some dude made of the whole "Kane is trying to figure out who put Undertaker in a vegetative state" storyline compressed into like, 45 minutes of just cut together promos, backstage segments and whatever else.

Holy poo poo, who the gently caress thought all that up? I vaguely remember watching parts of it and it wasn't even that long ago iirc but man, that went from "sort of intriguing" to "hell in a handbasket" real quick, especially seeing it compressed like that. The first few Kane promos and stuff were good, it was fairly interesting. Then, after dragging it out for seemingly eons, Kane starts pinning it on Rey Mysterio out of all people :psyduck: I mean apart from the fact that Rey barely had any reason to do it in-universe, who was seriously supposed to believe tiny Rey could put sit-up-from-sure-defeat Undertaker, the Deadman, the Phenom into a vegetative state?

And to end it all on the worst swerve they could've possibly thought up by making Kane the culprit after all this long-rear end time just completely blew my fever riddled mind. Was this as atrocious to follow in real time while poo poo was going down from week to week? I can only imagine it being even worse. I seriously want someone to compensate me for those ~45 minutes of my life.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Attitude Era had plenty of crap that made no sense. The big advantages it had were that people loved the raunchiness and that they had such a concentration of stars. People would accept the dumbness as part of wrestling and watch to see the Rock or Stone Cold or Mankind or whoever, and most of those guys were close enough on the hierarchy that they could make all kinds of credible main events.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That Kane storyline sure did suck, yup.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

abraxas posted:

My first question here is, was the HHH/Mankind/Cactus Jack stuff awesome? I don't remember it and it sounded awesome but I couldn't find anything but the maybe 1.5 minute Mankind promo where he goes "YOU MIGHT KNOW HIM, HE'S CACTUS JACK!", rips off his Mask and HHH has the biggest, most awesome "oh my god I'm making GBS threads my pants more than ever before" look on his face.

It was pretty great especially for people who had followed both men back when they first came into the company. As much as HHH wanted Rock or Austin to be his direct foil it was always Mick Foley. Foley and HHH fought for the IC Title, they fought for the King of the Ring, they were almost always polar opposites as characters and both loved to brawl it out.

People really wanted Mick Foley to kick HHH's rear end which made it all better that he never beat him. It added a lot into HHH's stock with the Royal Rumble street fight. I like to pretend that's where the feud ended because the Hell in a Cell afterwards was just over doing it.

Foley did one of the best put over jobs in the day and you never really hear HHH credit him for it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It was pretty great especially for people who had followed both men back when they first came into the company. As much as HHH wanted Rock or Austin to be his direct foil it was always Mick Foley. Foley and HHH fought for the IC Title, they fought for the King of the Ring, they were almost always polar opposites as characters and both loved to brawl it out.

People really wanted Mick Foley to kick HHH's rear end which made it all better that he never beat him. It added a lot into HHH's stock with the Royal Rumble street fight. I like to pretend that's where the feud ended because the Hell in a Cell afterwards was just over doing it.

Foley did one of the best put over jobs in the day and you never really hear HHH credit him for it.

I understand what you mean about their Hell In a Cell match, but I love that thing to death as well. Not as good as the Rumble match, but still an incredible performance.

Also, the hope kickout spot in the Rumble match after the first pedigree is one of my favorite crowd pops of all time. They even handled that beautifully by not deflating the crowd with Foley's immediate loss right after, but shocking them with the tacks spot. Who the hell WOULD kick out of a Pedigree on tacks, for Christ's sake?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

abraxas posted:

It's my favorite storyline/feud from the Attitude Era. All of it was great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

It's my favorite storyline/feud from the Attitude Era. All of it was great.

This, just because it made both guys look amazing. Obviously it put over HHH as a real main-eventer, but it made Mick Foley look like a loving weapon of mass destruction. Triple H, this guy who had relentlessly hosed up Mankind week after week was loving TERRIFIED of Cactus Jack.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The street fight is probably HHH's best match. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he did everything right in that one. Top five for Foley as well.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

That sounds awesome and I don't think I've ever seen any of that, at least not completely. Can you guys give me a list of matches/promos that I should watch to get most of the feud?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Here's a write-up of the feud I found that seems pretty thorough. Should have all the information you need.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VogeGandire posted:

This, just because it made both guys look amazing. Obviously it put over HHH as a real main-eventer, but it made Mick Foley look like a loving weapon of mass destruction. Triple H, this guy who had relentlessly hosed up Mankind week after week was loving TERRIFIED of Cactus Jack.

There's a great quote on one of Mick's DVDs where he and HHH are talking about the transition, taking the mask and tie off and revealing the Cactus shirt, where Mick says something along the lines of "It was a fat guy in tights taking his mask off to reveal the same fat guy in tights. All HHH needed to do was just smirk under his hand, and it would have killed the entire angle. HHH looking like he had just seen a ghost is what sold the bit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Memento1979 posted:

There's a great quote on one of Mick's DVDs where he and HHH are talking about the transition, taking the mask and tie off and revealing the Cactus shirt, where Mick says something along the lines of "It was a fat guy in tights taking his mask off to reveal the same fat guy in tights. All HHH needed to do was just smirk under his hand, and it would have killed the entire angle. HHH looking like he had just seen a ghost is what sold the bit."

He said something very similar, if not the same thing, in one of his books.