Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gooby on rails posted:

Now what am I supposed to do with my "I AM MASTER CHIEF" T-shirt?

Get a sharpie and YOUR the Master Chief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

gooby on rails posted:

Now what am I supposed to do with my "I AM MASTER CHIEF" T-shirt?

Give it back to him.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Liked the tv ad being "fall of reach: the novel: the ad". Am really loving FuD, though all this excitement has me playing back through the series - got to get that utterly pointless waypoint score up!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FishBulb posted:

It's not a failing on Bungie's fault that they didn't include more explicit backstory in the games, it's a choice to make it ancillary because its not integral to the games.

It goes back to my earlier complaint about franchising/universe building. The ultimate goal of a video game series is not to create a fully realized universe with a consistent backstory but to create compelling games. It's nice that they've done more universe building than nessecary, but that was never a main focus of the games, it's extra content for the die hard fans.

Not enough people realize this. Games are about gameplay. Gameplay is chief (no pun intended :P) in games.

Master Chief is deliberately designed to be a shell for the player. Like Gordon Freeman being a silent protagonist, The Chief we get to hear, but never see. He is US, we are the Chief. (Notice both Gordon and the Chief are known largely for their suits... the idea being that we can imagine ourselves in that suit. Its like the suit is the hero, the suit is the interface between us and the story. They can't have JUST a suit, so they put a man in that suit, but the man is just a placeholder for us, so he should be as vanilla as possible, the everyman.)

That's why, though they wrote a great sci-fi backstory, they don't tell us almost anything about the Chief. Anything they say, any details released, could only diverge from the Chief of your imagination. Anything they tell you about the Chief just makes you realize the ways the Chief is NOT like you. And that's not what they want.

I was watching the FUD videos, and something really bothered me. There was a scene where the Chief came across as sort of a bully, and I understand he had to survive and stand up for himself, but my Chief, the guy I was playing all this time, was a selfless hero. The guy who would walk into oblivion and not care if he died to save the world and they never knew, because it needed doing. I saw him as the guy who could kick your rear end, but would choose to turn the other cheek unless it really mattered. Seeing those scenes, I almost felt violated in a tiny, subtle way. That wasn't my Chief.

If you want to write great story, go write a book. IMO, MGS4 kinda showed this, Kojima got too entrenched in telling a good story and forgot to let you play! Don't get me wrong, MGS4 was still a great experience, but it wasn't a game. It was ... something else. A game-movie. Something we don't have a word for yet, a hybrid medium.

But games are designed this way for a reason. I don't like the insinuation that Bungie just forgot to tell us about John-117, and 343i is now correcting that. Its more like Bungie made the conscious decision to tell us as little as they possibly could. I liked that.

Now, I can see why 343i is changing that, and its probably for the best. The new halo trilogy coming up is going to have a very different tone, which it needs.

See, Halo 1 was all about the mystery of the Halo ring, the science fiction setting. It was built on the sense of wonder that looking at the ring gave you.

Then Halo 2 and 3 built off that same conflict, the covenant / human war. The scale built up, we went to other rings, etc. So the Chief was largely static as a character here, he was already The Chief and now its just can he, as he is, do what needs to be done? Is he enough?

In the ViDocs, they discuss the Hero's Journey (groan) and how the chief can't possibly grow, he's already the chief.

But the problem is now that conflict is over. Just carrying on the universe as it is.. it would lose some of its urgency and epic scale. We've already done the war, so what, now another one?

No, in order to keep things interesting, now the story is going to be not about Humanity surviving, but about The Chief and Cortana themselves as characters. Its a character story now instead of a war epic.

They've said they're going to throw situations at The Chief which force him to change, stress him, make him question who he is. Also, Cortana is facing her own mortality (rampancy). These are going to drive the story of the new trilogy.

Its different, but they needed to change something. And that's fine. Both were fine.

I think its ignorant to say Bungie was wrong or 343 is wrong. They're both right, just doing different things at different times in different situations.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 22, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Overbite posted:

I don't know if I trust not-Bungie to make a Halo game.

To be fair, 343i has many former Bungie members, so its kinda like Bungie just hired new people so most of their core team could work on something else.

Still got Frank O'Connor. Although no Martin O'Donnell :(

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was watching the FUD videos, and something really bothered me. There was a scene where the Chief came across as sort of a bully, and I understand he had to survive and stand up for himself, but my Chief, the guy I was playing all this time, was a selfless hero.

Which FUD episode is this? So far John hasn't been in it spoiler (not really): None of the kids are the chief) the only spartan that we can actually confirm is Fred at this point.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I was watching the FUD videos, and something really bothered me. There was a scene where the Chief came across as sort of a bully, and I understand he had to survive and stand up for himself, but my Chief, the guy I was playing all this time, was a selfless hero.

Which scene is this? I don't recall seeing that :confused:

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Yeah, I might've been a little hasty in saying it was "Bungie's fault". I see what you're saying and I understand why they might've done it that way (same with HL).

For me, personally, I've never really gotten into that "the Chief is me!" type stuff. I always identified him as a separate character that I was simply controlling for the moment. Maybe it's the fact that the cutscenes are always third-person, or that you hear the Chief's voice. In Half-life it's easier to lose yourself in the immersion, but I never really had that sense in Halo. Plus, I started reading the books early on, so the Chief has been a character with a backstory to me for a while.

Ah well. Looking forward to Halo 4 regardless. It'll be interesting to see what directions they take the Chief's character in; even knowing his backstory from the novels, as a character he's always been pretty flat.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
How screwed am I in finding the limited edition? Just about everywhere I've looked is sold out, other than ebay prices does anybody else still have copies?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone know when the Halo avatars are given out for those of us stupid enough to watch the dumb Presidential debate 3 times?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

BrokenKnees posted:

How screwed am I in finding the limited edition? Just about everywhere I've looked is sold out, other than ebay prices does anybody else still have copies?

Check Walmart.com, it looks like they still have it up for preorder.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Another thing to keep in mind is that the details of John 117's background weren't relevant to the story being told in the first trilogy. Sure he was kidnapped as a child and experimented upon without any kind of ethical restraint, but where would that have come up naturally as a part of the game?

I suppose they could've added some NPC barks along the lines of "I'm sure glad you were stolen and modified by a secret military project!", but that wouldn't have made any sense narratively in addition to being badly written.*

On the other hand, where the universe building made sense, they integrated it into the plot as necessary. Examples from Reach, since it's the most recent I've played and thus still fresh in my memory: Noble team was sent to investigate rebel activity and they found the Covenant instead. Rebels smugglers gave stolen UNSC weaponry to Noble team to fight the Covenant. Jorge thinks of Halsey as some kind of mother. etc.

* Although, it would've worked reasonably well with the IWHBYD skull on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm not sure the Limited Edition is worth it. Given that you can buy the season pass on Live and that the faster unlockables (or whatever it is again) is also available to people who play in the first week all you're really getting for the money is a box and some extra's which seem utterly worthless in the long run.

If I thought I could sell the armor and skins for anything worth while I'd do it, but I seriously doubt I'd make enough back on my investment to feel like I didn't throw cash away.

Can anyone think of a reason to keep the Limited Edition on pre-order?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure the Limited Edition is worth it. Given that you can buy the season pass on Live and that the faster unlockables (or whatever it is again) is also available to people who play in the first week all you're really getting for the money is a box and some extra's which seem utterly worthless in the long run.

If I thought I could sell the armor and skins for anything worth while I'd do it, but I seriously doubt I'd make enough back on my investment to feel like I didn't throw cash away.

The feelies are comparable with Reach's?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I think you might be underestimating how much people will pay for that stuff. The LE-exclusive stuff is kind of boring, but that doesn't mean people won't buy it, and it doesn't mean people won't pay for most of your upgrade, either. I bought Mortal Kombat from Walmart when it came out and sold the lovely exclusive skin for over half the cost of the game. It wasn't even one of the ones people wanted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The feelies are comparable with Reach's?

Probably not. I haven't spent any time examining the non-digital offerings in the LE (I already preordered one and will probably not downgrade even though I no longer feel it's worth it), but Reach's LE was utterly fantastic in both physical content (the diary was very entertaining) and packaging. I really doubt 343 will match it.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone know when the Halo avatars are given out for those of us stupid enough to watch the dumb Presidential debate 3 times?

"On or around" November first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Binskin posted:

Which FUD episode is this? So far John hasn't been in it spoiler (not really): None of the kids are the chief) the only spartan that we can actually confirm is Fred at this point.

poo poo, I was thinking maybe it wasn't FUD... now I can't remember what it was. I'll try to think of it. Maybe some promotional material? Hrm...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shnakepup posted:

For me, personally, I've never really gotten into that "the Chief is me!" type stuff. I always identified him as a separate character that I was simply controlling for the moment. Maybe it's the fact that the cutscenes are always third-person, or that you hear the Chief's voice. In Half-life it's easier to lose yourself in the immersion, but I never really had that sense in Halo. Plus, I started reading the books early on, so the Chief has been a character with a backstory to me for a while.

Its interesting, that. In Halo you only hear the voice, no face. In Half-Life, Gordon has a face, you can see he's white and has a goatee and glasses, but has no voice. I'd be interested to study which works better for how many people and why. Some psychology there, maybe a big part of it isn't even the voice/face so much as the way that valve always leaves you in first-person for cutscenes, you never get pulled out to third-person, which Halo does do. But that's why halo uses the full suit, so they can get away with third person. Different approaches.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

InfinEight posted:

Check Walmart.com, it looks like they still have it up for preorder.

Thanks, now it's fingers crossed that they don't cancel my order.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

pseudorandom name posted:

I suppose they could've added some NPC barks along the lines of "I'm sure glad you were stolen and modified by a secret military project!"
They did!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Best part of the halo books was when chief murdered the odsts with his hands

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I sold the flaming skull code from my legendary edition of reach for 90 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.

it paid for a full 30% of the whole thing.

advertising the code from launch you can easily net a bunch of cash for it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think my favorite part of Reach was playing Spartan Dress-up and then never seeing my color combinations because every game I played was a team variant but who cares because dark green with light blue trim was awesome looking to me. ODST helmet all day every day, never changed it the whole time I played Reach.

Can't wait to do it all again in 4!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

FPzero posted:

I think my favorite part of Reach was playing Spartan Dress-up and then never seeing my color combinations because every game I played was a team variant but who cares because dark green with light blue trim was awesome looking to me. ODST helmet all day every day, never changed it the whole time I played Reach.

I always wished that you would have your custom colors in invasion, since it's pretty clear who is on what team, since one team is an alien and one is a human. I mean, they let you be your normal spartan in infection, so why not invasion?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FPzero posted:

assuming players 2-4 are generic Spartan IV's in co-op, it'd be cool if you could use your customized armor from multiplayer.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

So far it looks like the player's multiplayer model is used during Spartan Ops, but I dunno how online co-op campaign will work.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
For the Campaign I think we already established it's your the Master Chief.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

For the Campaign I think we already established it's your the Master Chief.

I'm talking about player 2-4 in campaign co-op. In Halo 3 it was three Elites, Reach essentially just had Nobles 7, 8 and 9, what's Halo 4 going to do?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm talking about player 2-4 in campaign co-op. In Halo 3 it was three Elites, Reach essentially just had Nobles 7, 8 and 9, what's Halo 4 going to do?

Just clone Chiefs like in the original. Who cares if it doesn't make sense, you're playing co-op to gently caress around and maybe see the story with a friend.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
My Halo friend always skipped the cutscenes in Reach so I don't play campaign with him anymore :colbert:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know what you meant and don't have an answer for you. I was just continuing a running joke I found funny.

My guess is that it'll just be cloned Chiefs or three Spartan IVs.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Creepy Goat posted:

My Halo friend always skipped the cutscenes in Reach so I don't play campaign with him anymore :colbert:

I haven't played Reach but I replayed 3 with a friend and whenever Chief and Arbiter did stuff together we would give each other high fives and chat about how we are great friends despite being a slimy alien and a faceless war automaton.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would be kind of humorous if player 1 gets to be Master Chief, but everyone else is just plain old USMC redshirts that die after one or two hits.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Kobayashi posted:

It would be kind of humorous if player 1 gets to be Master Chief, but everyone else is just plain old USMC redshirts that die after one or two hits.

I would love asymmetrical Halo co-op.

Also Battlefield Halo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Halo 1 and 2 just had several Master Chiefs. It didn't make sense, but whatever. You could imagine you were different Spartans.

What with them incorporating the multiplayer mode into the story, I could see them trying to explain co-op within the story too though. But Chief is pretty alone out there, so I'm not sure who he would team up with. Maybe some of the new Spartans on the UNSC infinity?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I would love asymmetrical Halo co-op.

Also Battlefield Halo.

I would really like to see more things like this, like a multiplayer firefight mode where everybody started as ODST, and then whoever did the best on the last round would be a Spartan on the next round and would be much stronger than everybody else, leading the charge... That'd be sweet.

I've also always wanted a mode where I can play as a grunt.

Maybe have a mode where different covenant are the different loadouts, and you have to choose one to spawn as like a class?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Spawn as suicide grunt all day every day.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Spawn as a infinite ammo fuel rod grunt and spam that poo poo errrry day.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I would really like to see more things like this, like a multiplayer firefight mode where everybody started as ODST, and then whoever did the best on the last round would be a Spartan on the next round and would be much stronger than everybody else, leading the charge... That'd be sweet.

I've also always wanted a mode where I can play as a grunt.

Maybe have a mode where different covenant are the different loadouts, and you have to choose one to spawn as like a class?

Ever since the first game I've always dreamed of a spin-off where you play as either a Marine or ODST, and it's all tactical like Ghost Recon or Brothers in Arms: Halo Style. Maybe some kind of squad command system like in Rainbow Six so you can use teamwork to make up for your lack of shields and health compared to Elites, Brutes, etc. Or maybe not and you have to get by with just your own firepower and cleverness, and those of any CoD-campaign-style nameless grunts nearby. I was so convinced ODST was going to be that game, but then it came out and you just played as a very slightly weaker Spartan. :(

I think you're right, though, that would work much better as a game mode rather than a full spinoff. Maybe in Halo 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyDevil
Jun 26, 2009
I just realized I can re-create my Moon Boots custom game: 50% gravity, 300% player speed, with hammers and rocket launchers with infinite ammo and nothing else.

I'm sold.

• Locked thread