Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Just a warning...Steam decided it needed "re-allocate" the files for Tribes:Ascend and managed to completely gently caress up my installation.

Don't ever start Tribes:Ascend with Steam in online mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just to chime in with the others: if you're a pubstar, most of that transitions very well to pugging. The biggest hurdle is communication. Always say what you are doing, at least ever 20 seconds. The team that talks together, wins together. Also, if you are constantly giving out your position, respawns, and actions, then it is easier for your team to coordinate with you or help you to do the right thing.

Example:
"Respawning, heading back out on offense."
"HoF spotted, chaining him down."
"I just died, but the capper is low health and going slow."
"Mortar spamming the base, watch for FF."

Oh, and if you see someone on a capping route or the enemy sniper, spot them with the ingame key and mention it on mumble.

Are you NA or Euro?

i'm na east, finally fixed my computer and i'm back to play.

Barn Door posted:

Don't ever start Tribes:Ascend with Steam in online mode.

i've stopped running tribes through steam altogether because this turd optimized game needs every ounce of computation from my outdated computer.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 15, 2012

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Rockwind SMG for 64 gold. Worth it or should I skip? I've only got 69 gold left...what else could I get with that?

Edit: Oh wait, it has less DPS, ammo per clip, and firing rate than the standard. Screw that then. Stil...what *can* I get with 69 gold?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 17, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

Rockwind SMG for 64 gold. Worth it or should I skip? I've only got 69 gold left...what else could I get with that?

Edit: Oh wait, it has less DPS, ammo per clip, and firing rate than the standard. Screw that then. Stil...what *can* I get with 69 gold?
Probably the other Reskin weapons you don't own yet. Or brute light sticky for even less, light sticky is less than 3k Exp or something supercheap like that.

EDIT: If you ever get bored with the LMG, I love the Juggy's reskin Spinfusor. Turns out it's slightly STRONGER than the soldier spin.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 17, 2012

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't think there is much of anything that cheap that you couldn't get by just playing a couple of games anyhow. Having odd amounts and small leftovers is one of the lousy things about fake money.

In other news, I was playing a late night TDM game the other night going for a first win of the day. It was a small game, only 4v4 or so, I joined near the start, and my team was dominating pretty hard. A couple people joined and left and I ended up getting team balance swapped towards the end to the then drastically losing team. I still gave it my all as I was in the zone and doing well, grabbed the flag and got another kill or two before the game ended.

I'm not sure if it has been like this for a while and I had not noticed, if it is something new, or it was just some strange bug, but I still was awarded the first win of the day even after getting swapped to the losing team. Is that normal? If so, it is a pretty cool feature for not punishing you for being selected for the swap. Maybe my memory is failing, or I just got lucky. Either way I'm not complaining.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Twenty Four posted:

I don't think there is much of anything that cheap that you couldn't get by just playing a couple of games anyhow. Having odd amounts and small leftovers is one of the lousy things about fake money.

In other news, I was playing a late night TDM game the other night going for a first win of the day. It was a small game, only 4v4 or so, I joined near the start, and my team was dominating pretty hard. A couple people joined and left and I ended up getting team balance swapped towards the end to the then drastically losing team. I still gave it my all as I was in the zone and doing well, grabbed the flag and got another kill or two before the game ended.

I'm not sure if it has been like this for a while and I had not noticed, if it is something new, or it was just some strange bug, but I still was awarded the first win of the day even after getting swapped to the losing team. Is that normal? If so, it is a pretty cool feature for not punishing you for being selected for the swap. Maybe my memory is failing, or I just got lucky. Either way I'm not complaining.

When you are auto-balanced, you always receive xp like you won. So while people bitch about getting switched, it's pretty much the best thing that can happen.

I other words: you can get first place on the losing team and receive xp like you were first place on the winning team.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That to start with is a very cool thing. I did get good xp for the match. It actually popped up with the "First Win Of The Day" accolade after the match was over as well, which suprised me. I'm not sure if I haven't seen that before or I just don't remember but it feels like the right thing to do that alot of games would ignore.

Has anyone heard anything about upcomming patches? I don't really follow the official forums or other outlets. I know things have slowed down but it seems like we are overdue for something even if it is just a low effort attempt like blitz versions of existing maps or more tweaked versions of existing weapons. Hopefully something is in the works.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Patches have generally slowed to 3-4 weeks apart. The last patch was Oct. 3 and only contained some minor tweaks and no new content. I'm hoping that they'll pull out something new soon but who knows.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Finally landed 2000 artillery shots tonight, 3k is definitely the next goal although morbid curiosity has me wondering if I can break 10k before the game is finally laid the rest.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Man this game had so much promise.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Hopefully someone competent will take over and steer the game away from the iceberg, though I think that ship is already sinking.

It's real shame too, Tribes is still such a fun game and the combat is better than anything on the market, it is such a shame to see something come so close to being spectacular and yet falling so far. I had a chance to try the Planetside 2 beta and it is just another lovely rattatattat spamfest with horrible combat and terrible controls. It IS still beta though, maybe they'll iron things out before launch. Then again, I thought the same thing about T:A. :ohdear:

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Keep seeing the same guys over and over on west coast servers.

Looks like I'll be back on T2 again soon.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/dodgepong

That Tao v ZFZ match was probably the closest, most exciting set of games I have seen in tribes. The teams were so evenly matched that all 3 games went into overtime or ran out the clock, but it wasn't just stale game play for 25 minutes. There were enough clutch plays for a whole tournament of matches.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Izam posted:

Finally landed 2000 artillery shots tonight, 3k is definitely the next goal although morbid curiosity has me wondering if I can break 10k before the game is finally laid the rest.

Proud to say that nearly half of my kills are Artillery Shots.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mauzeraut posted:

Keep seeing the same guys over and over on west coast servers.

I have noticed this but in more of a good way. I run into more goons on a server at once then I used to it seems. My schedual has changed around a bit, but I keep running into Izam and Handen alot lately.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Twenty Four posted:

I have noticed this but in more of a good way. I run into more goons on a server at once then I used to it seems. My schedual has changed around a bit, but I keep running into Izam and Handen alot lately.

I really shouldn't be playing as often as I am... But being able to get relatively consistent blue plates and air mail ever since I've been able to break 60fps in Parallels is what I imagine a crackhead must feel like every time he lights up. I can't escape. And I have no idea what servers I play on, I just join a goon whenever I see one. :haw:

Edit: Speaking of, I just abandoned some friends at a lovely club so I could come home and play T:A (instead of getting me some T&A), so feel free to join me in a match or whatever because there are no goons currently online that I see.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 20, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Mastered my first class :dance:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is this game dead or is something wrong with my server list? When I take a look at Custom Servers with all filters off, the only servers that actually have people in them require a password.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 21, 2012

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Custom Servers never were popular because you couldn't gain XP on them. As well, the game has been bleeding out for the past few months because hirez cried about it being too hard to make an E-Sports game. (They are probably moving on to Smite+Global Agenda 2.)

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Team Slamurai has risen from the ashes as a Arena Team and played our first official match.

http://www.twitch.tv/silverchaos/b/336553775 (Start's around 23 minutes in)

We're now RANK 1 on the ladder.

All Money No Skill.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

WTF, and I don't get an invite? I am the number 1 kill feeder.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

WTF, and I don't get an invite? I am the number 1 kill feeder.

You're the team bitch mascot.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't watched a ladder arena match before. After watching the first map (Lava Arena) from Rynex's match, it seems like from a spectators point of view a different ruleset would make it more interesting to watch. Having so many pooled lives makes the first 90% of the round just watching people flying around shooting autos waiting for it to come down to the final spawns, and I found myself fast fowarding to the end. That portion was actually quite suspenseful and entertaining. It seems like it would be better to watch if the resource pool was smaller or it had more of an old Quake style arena match with alot of shorter matches where individual kills and deaths seemed more meaningful. This has nothing to do with anyones performance, and just how fun the match is to watch with the ruleset in place on that map.

The second map (Hinterlands) made the first portion of each round alot more interesting to watch. Perhaps it had alot to do with how the shoutcaster was spectating (I know the spectator mode in T:A is bad), but the map gave a better feel for how each team was forming up or spliting off. The first portion of the rounds were much more interesting to watch, and the final moments were still exciting. Shorter rounds with a smaller pool might not have worked as well here because of how unfair the beginning spawns sometimes were. It could still work if the spawns were ironed out a bit.

The third map (Walled In) played alot like the second one to watch and was enjoyable as well. The team coordination was alot more obvious and the use of terrain made the match much more watchable then the first. Watching the end match standoffs play out was a real treat.

I'm still not sure how I feel about regen as a whole in arenas (other then maybe survivalist perk style) especially when it comes to viewing matches. Anyhow all of this has everything to do with viewing the game as it is set up and isn't meant as playstyle criticism as I really enjoyed the match.

TL;DR floating arena maps apparantly aren't fun to watch, ground maps are.

It was good to watch you guys play again, and congratulations on the #1 win!

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

There was a general agreement from my team that Lava Arena is just not fun to play with that many people. It's too tight, and too much of a cluster gently caress with all the AP grenades just flying everywhere. I agree that the life pool size is a bit too big, but at the same time it felt very tense pretty much the whole time while we was playing. Hinterlands was probably the most fun to play on, simply for the lack of inventory stations.

Regen actually isn't that big an issue, all you need to bear in mind is that you need to hit them and reset an enemies regen. It's also the main reason why raider is so powerful, because you can cover yourself from having an enemy reset your regen with the shield pack.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I noticed that a lot of the Soldier players are still using the Thumper. Is the Spare Spinfusor just not good?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Artificer posted:

I noticed that a lot of the Soldier players are still using the Thumper. Is the Spare Spinfusor just not good?
Spare Spinfusor: 660 direct
Thumper D: 770 direct
Thumper DX: 840 direct

I kept using the Thumper when I still played because I could reliably get direct hits.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I prefer the Spare Spinfusor for the simple fact that the projectile doesn't arc and explode 5 feet from the barrel. It's worth the damage loss to me.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Artificer posted:

Spare Spinfusor is ok, but the fact that the thumper has an arc is what makes it so potent.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Rynex posted:

Spare Spinfusor is ok, but the fact that the thumper has an arc is what makes it so potent.

Why is the arc so important? I'm not sure. It seems like a spinfusor would be easier to aim precisely because it doesn't have one.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Arced weapons have a dueling advantage, it's easier to hit terrain angled away from you. Plus a much higher direct hit damage amount.

I've seen the same 10-15 people on oceanic lately, and almost no new players even on my smurf account. Game is dying.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Must be the west coast that's seeing new blood or just a ton of smurf accounts as it took me nearly an hour to get out of the kiddie pool and into a server with some gold and plats.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
200 sanic flyby proxy nade to kill the capper and win :toot:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

During gameplay I keep getting messages that tell me recording started, or screenshot saved. It isn't the usual steam notification and I don't have any recording software one. What the hell?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

nightwisher posted:

Arced weapons have a dueling advantage, it's easier to hit terrain angled away from you. Plus a much higher direct hit damage amount.

I've seen the same 10-15 people on oceanic lately, and almost no new players even on my smurf account. Game is dying.

Thumper DX has direct hit (airmail) of ~850, the spinfusor is ~910 IIRC (SLD). There's also some odd discrepancy that I've noticed with SLD spinfusor that if you shoot a standing target while airborne, they accrue more damage than if you had made the same shot while standing on the ground. Essentially if I fly up to a sniper and can hit him directly while I'm in midair, it's a one hit kill. If I walk up behind him and use the same weapon, he lives. It seems like some counter-intuitively weird advantage if you have good flying disc aim. Or maybe I'm just crazy, I don't loving know.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Handen posted:

Thumper DX has direct hit (airmail) of ~850, the spinfusor is ~910 IIRC (SLD). There's also some odd discrepancy that I've noticed with SLD spinfusor that if you shoot a standing target while airborne, they accrue more damage than if you had made the same shot while standing on the ground. Essentially if I fly up to a sniper and can hit him directly while I'm in midair, it's a one hit kill. If I walk up behind him and use the same weapon, he lives. It seems like some counter-intuitively weird advantage if you have good flying disc aim. Or maybe I'm just crazy, I don't loving know.

The spare spinfusor (not the regular one) does much less damage.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Artificer posted:

During gameplay I keep getting messages that tell me recording started, or screenshot saved. It isn't the usual steam notification and I don't have any recording software one. What the hell?

I'm just keeping tabs on you LLJK style.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
what mumble do you people hang out in?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Am I correct in determining that playing INF without smoke grenades if there are more than four or five people anywhere the stand is basically impossible? I feel like as soon as I break cloak there's no way to get it back because everyone is shooting at me.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't play alot of Infiltrator (though I do have everything maxed) but I play alot of Raider and I look at it the same way. It's not about whether or not I die, it's how much I take out before I do. Maybe if I used the smoke grenades more instead of the stickies as Infiltrator my opinion would change, but I think I play too agressively when I am trying to clear flag stands and disrupt bases for them to suit me. That is probably also why I prefer jammer pack Raider overall, though this makes me want to go be a sneaky Infiltrator for a bit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
"Taking them down with you" doesn't work well with a light class, which I why I presume that people in this thread were telling me that as an Infiltrator my job is to be a pain in the rear end, not drop a couple stickies on the stand and die. Plus, I usually play defense and when I do I vastly prefer kamikaze Infiltrators to the dickheads who disc me and then run away over and over and over again.

• Locked thread