Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's a more detailed map you can use to find enemies on the second screen and you can switch weapons on the touchscreen but that's it. http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/06/05/primi-dettagli-per-la-versione-wii-u-di-assassins-creed-3/

You say thats it, but I plan on renting this on the WiiU as opposed to ps3, just for a more detailed map. I wont be buying it unless it tickles me like no AC has so far so console exclusive content means nothing. A superior interface does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo released their forecast through march, they are expecting to sell 5.5 million WiiUs. That's about half of what I expected, so they are churning out maybe significantly less than a million a month?(I'm assuming a stockpile for launch).

If so those sold out Gamestop preorders are really for loving real, there ain't more coming for a while.

Of course there's a higher chance I actually don't know what I'm talking about here and their projections are plenty. For some reason I thought they'd be trying to hit ten million by March.

Can someone with more knowledge set me straight on these numbers?

Oh and if your want a good laugh read Bloomberg where they say this is low because consoles can't compete against smart phone games.

Edit: I missed one very interesting thing I the report, Nintendo says they are selling at a loss to begin with.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 24, 2012

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Apparently there was a fire at one of their assembly lines, so that might have something to do with it. I'm no business expert though. Surprised they're selling at a loss though. Either the gamepad's really expensive or the console's specs are better than expected.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Seems reasonable, according to Wiki the Wii moved 5.84 million units through March 2007.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I stand pleasantly corrected then.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Oh and if your want a good laugh read Bloomberg where they say this is low because consoles can't compete against smart phone games.

23 million people buy a smart phone game. Game makes 46 million dollars.

1 million people buy a Wii U game. Game makes 60 million dollars.

Consoles can't compete against smart phone games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Edit: courtesy edit for post below

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 24, 2012

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Nintendo becomes more conservative with their hardware/software forecasts for each quarter considering they haven't been hitting their numbers along with the weak dollar amounting to reported losses. Better to underforecast so it seems like you're beating expectations.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

23 million people buy a smart phone game. Game makes 46 million dollars.

1 million people buy a Wii U game. Game makes 60 million dollars.

Consoles can't compete against smart phone games.

Please do not start this stupid argument here.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: Whoops, mod intervention

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Nintendo becomes more conservative with their hardware/software forecasts for each quarter considering they haven't been hitting their numbers along with the weak dollar amounting to reported losses. Better to underforecast so it seems like you're beating expectations.

Is that legal?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

greatn posted:

Is that legal?

Yes, of course. Most investors don't pay attention to what the company predicts anyways. Apple is the best example for a company that always predicts earnings far lower than what they end up being.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

Please do not start this stupid argument here.

My bad. Talking out of my rear end.

Bloomberg also said the Wii U is being sold at a loss.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wii U is gonna sell at a loss?

That's... genuinely surprising. Is this the first console where Nintendo has started with a loss-leading strategy?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

That's... genuinely surprising. Is this the first console where Nintendo has started with a loss-leading strategy?

That would be the Gamecube I believe, but it was only for the first year or so.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gamecube's loss per unit was low enough it was basically at cost. At cost is the sanest pricing structure for a console in my opinion, seeing you make real money on games and licensing. But I am not a business man.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Folt The Bolt posted:

3DS post price drop.

edit: vv Oops, my bad.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 24, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

3DS post price drop.

He said started. Also the best pricing model is obviously a cellphonesque monthly contract fee because Microsoft and ugh I can't finish this sentence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah seriously if in the next wave all three of these guys are running a subscription based set up only I'm going back to Neo Geo/PC Engine 24/7.

Speaking of dumb pricing structures, is EA really still rolling out Mass Effect 3 for $59.99 when they're releasing the trilogy for everything else at the same price?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
^^according to Amazon they are. Even though it's half that price on PC and 360

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My bad. Talking out of my rear end.

That doesn't surprise me all that much considering how much the Gamepad is priced when sold separately in Japan, and how small all the chips are while still being comparable to the 360 in power.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 24, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

What's the deal with Skylanders? Every trailer I've seen seems like a cash in to add webkins to video games and make soccer moms buy their kids a ton of action figures and accessories.

However the game seems quite respected by actual gamers, so there's a really good game in there too? Is it a little of both?

It seems like something that if Nintendo did with Pokemon, they'd spend the rest of their days counting billions of dollars.

Skylanders is complete garbage and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a deluded manchild.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Skylanders is complete garbage and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a deluded manchild.

The Wii is also a baby console for babies that will never take off or compete with the PS3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chronojam posted:

The Wii is also a baby console for babies that will never take off or compete with the PS3

I gave Skylanders a serious chance, everything he says about it is true. Huge moneymaker or not it's a pretty bare bones game that I don't understand anyone older than like ten enjoying. It's not like other family appropriate games like Mario or something where there's still a high skill ceiling if you want to actually find everything or whatever (i.e., fun for the whole family), you just buy the figures and watch the levels go up. The gameplay itself is like a stripped down Gauntlet Legends. With so few abilities and only two player coop though it can't get as intense as any of the games in that series though. If it didn't include the figures also it would be a $3 iOS game like Dungeon Hunters or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 24, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm having this debate with my friends right now. For Nintendo's next 2d Mario platformer (after NSMB U), introduce a level creator and implement a system like Little Big Planet of online play and ranking maps thru popularity. I mean, who hasn't wanted to make their own Mario Level?

Thoughts?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Expertly-designed levels are Mario's biggest asset and the reason that even games like NSMB are miles ahead of most of the pack. I'm sure adding a level editor would tick a box or two in the brains of a few people but it wouldn't really add a whole lot of value to the experience.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm having this debate with my friends right now. For Nintendo's next 2d Mario platformer (after NSMB U), introduce a level creator and implement a system like Little Big Planet of online play and ranking maps thru popularity. I mean, who hasn't wanted to make their own Mario Level?

Thoughts?
Won't happen since having a never ending stream of new Mario levels harder for Nintendo to justify recycling the New Super Mario Bros. assets over and over again.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is skylanders good on a competitive level.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Expertly-designed levels are Mario's biggest asset and the reason that even games like NSMB are miles ahead of most of the pack. I'm sure adding a level editor would tick a box or two in the brains of a few people but it wouldn't really add a whole lot of value to the experience.

Agreed. The fact of the matter is that you would get a few levels on par with Nintendo's stuff, some that aren't great, but they're not offensive either, and the vast majority would make NSMB look like God's platforming gift to mankind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Robolizard! posted:

8-2 matchup in favour of the kid with the rich grandma.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

If you're asking whether you'll be able to buy WiiWare on the WiiU eShop then the answer is yes. If you're asking whether you'll be able to transfer WiiWare games from your Wii to your WiiU without them both being present in the same room then the answer is no.

Its pretty amazing that ITYOOL 2012 that they can make a system where you can buy and have a download history and redownload AND HAVE A NINTENDO ACCOUNT and not be able to transfer digital downloads anyway other than locally.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Benny the Snake posted:

Thoughts?

Go search "smw hack" on youtube. You will find tons and tons of custom made mario levels people make using the super-accessible editor, Lunar Magic. 99% are not very good.

I've been making these levels four going on five years now and I've only just started making levels that I think could be considered well-designed. An editor would be awesome, but it's incredibly hard to produce Nintendo-quality levels.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NCL/NOA have announced their next Nintendo Direct broadcasts, but from the sounds of things they'll be 3DS-centric, again. Don't get your hopes up.

Robolizard! posted:

Its pretty amazing that ITYOOL 2012 that they can make a system where you can buy and have a download history and redownload AND HAVE A NINTENDO ACCOUNT and not be able to transfer digital downloads anyway other than locally.

In the case of the Wii, a lot of the authentication protocols are stored on the console itself, so local transfer is probably the most foolproof/least exploitable method of doing things.

Once the Nintendo Network account system is in place (whenever that actually happens) you should be able to access your purchase history in a less stupid, platform-agnostic fashion.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

NCL/NOA have announced their next Nintendo Direct broadcasts, but from the sounds of things they'll be 3DS-centric, again. Don't get your hopes up.

Somebody from IGN tweeted that there would be some significant Wii U news tomorrow, but not from Nintendo Direct. They said Wii U might finally have it's "system selling" game, but then backpedaled and said it wouldn't be a new game, but new info on an already announced game. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

I bought the first Skylanders last year, played a couple levels, got bored and didn't touch it for about six months. I was really bored one day, so I pulled out the portal and figures. I upgraded a few characters, and the game suddenly became fun. I got a few secondhand figures cheap and enjoyed the hell out of the rest of the game. Giants has been pretty fun, although I don't give a poo poo about the actual giant figures (they're just an excuse to charge more for each figure). I have a feeling Giants going to be too short, but we're enjoying it so far for some good couch co-op.

Wii U Skylanders Giants doesn't use the portal, I saw a video where an Activision rep was trying to convince people that it was better for the gamepad to just display character stats. The only one that really changes is playtime, so it's just a constantly ticking clock. Worthless crap.

Robolizard! posted:

It's fun for a few matches at a time, but you are never going to end up in a Smash Bros style marathon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rake Arms posted:

Somebody from IGN tweeted that there would be some significant Wii U news tomorrow, but not from Nintendo Direct. They said Wii U might finally have it's "system selling" game, but then backpedaled and said it wouldn't be a new game, but new info on an already announced game. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

What could that even be, announcing online multiplayer for NSMB? I don't know what current game a newly revealed feature would suddenly make it a system seller, since the lineup is relatively strong already.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

greatn posted:

What could that even be, announcing online multiplayer for NSMB? I don't know what current game a newly revealed feature would suddenly make it a system seller, since the lineup is relatively strong already.

Dream scenario: Prime 1/2/3 combined into one gigantic game with the upgrades and story arranged so you can travel freely to any planet at any time
The reality: Add street passed Miis from your 3DS into your Nintendo Land game

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Neo Rasa posted:

Dream scenario: Prime 1/2/3 combined into one gigantic game with the upgrades and story arranged so you can travel freely to any planet at any time
The reality: Add street passed Miis from your 3DS into your Nintendo Land game
This would not surprise me one bit.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

HelloWinter posted:

This would not surprise me one bit.

It would surprise me that anyone in game journalism would tease that (or something like it) as a "system seller." I'm not holding my breath either way, because Nintendo TVii is their killer app as far as I'm concerned.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you're American, maybe. The rest of the (western) world isn't gonna geat the majority of that stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rake Arms posted:

It would surprise me that anyone in game journalism would tease that (or something like it) as a "system seller." I'm not holding my breath either way, because Nintendo TVii is their killer app as far as I'm concerned.

TVii's not happening in the PAL regions. Wasn't even mentioned in the livestreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

If you're American, maybe. The rest of the (western) world isn't gonna geat the majority of that stuff.

Yeah, I meant going off my own personal interests. And I'm American, so everything's great :D

• Locked thread