Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

kater posted:

Why do they have to come up with dumb names for their game sections?

Marketing. Calling it a map pack isn't exciting enough for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

No ODST hekmet?

LE does look pretty lovely now, I cant believe it doesn't even bundle with the map packs! Still, as someone above said, I am way too deep into the franchise now, an extra tenner can't hurt all that much.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Venator looks like one of Isaac's RIGs from Dead Space and I can't decide if that's a bad thing or a loving awesome thing.

Yeah it's loving awesome.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.

lenoon posted:

No ODST hekmet?

More so annoyed that there is no ODST helmet D:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tighclops posted:

It sucks that they can render all that detail, only to have it wasted on such ugly designs.

I miss the ODST helmet but at least they have stuff similar to that and the Marathon helmets.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

lenoon posted:

No ODST hekmet?

LE does look pretty lovely now, I cant believe it doesn't even bundle with the map packs! Still, as someone above said, I am way too deep into the franchise now, an extra tenner can't hurt all that much.

I think you misread, the LE does include the map packs, it's just that the separate map pass + regular edition is cheaper than the LE.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ok so I was just watching a youtube video of the multiplayer with some MLG pr0 and apparently there are no weapon spawns on the maps, all the power weapons are dropped from the sky and land at random places on the map? Is that every game mode or just the one I happened to have seen?

Map control is a pretty loving fundamental part of Halo multiplayer, it's a pretty big deal if all modes are changed to random weapon drops...

(sorry if this has already been discussed, I just started paying attention to the new thread)

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

ironlung posted:

Ok so I was just watching a youtube video of the multiplayer with some MLG pr0 and apparently there are no weapon spawns on the maps, all the power weapons are dropped from the sky and land at random places on the map? Is that every game mode or just the one I happened to have seen?

Map control is a pretty loving fundamental part of Halo multiplayer, it's a pretty big deal if all modes are changed to random weapon drops...

(sorry if this has already been discussed, I just started paying attention to the new thread)

From what I've seen on the videos, the game will support both methods - location/time based weapon spawns - and random drops. I think it will vary by playlist.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

empathe posted:

From what I've seen on the videos, the game will support both methods - location/time based weapon spawns - and random drops. I think it will vary by playlist.

IIRC, "Infinity Slayer" is the drop-from-the-sky mode, while regular Slayer is the same as previous games.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I think they said because of the time that has passed certain armor has been phased out in UNSC service. It makes sense to not give your top spec solders at what at this point is three generation old hardware. (Mk V, Mk IV Grenadier) What I do want to know is if the Orbital hat is the new ODST gear or has Air Assault replaced it like the description in Reach states. (Recruit hat looks the best)

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Kin posted:

How about the whole "this game is a bunch of mini missions, scattered around a vacant city". I'm sure I read somewhere that it was going to be the Halo 2 that we never got (you know, the one set on Earth), but it turned out to be the mini-mission thing.
I'm pretty sure you read some speculation somewhere and thought it was official, because pretty much all the news released from Bungie told you that's what the game was going to be like. Although it was set entirely on Earth, with all your missions on Earth and took place between Halo 2 and 3, if that's anything close to what you mistook for "the Halo 2 that we never got (you know, the one set on Earth)."

quote:

Reach was implied to be this massive base-world, one of the last bastions of humanity. Giant crushing loss and all that. Save for a few small sections (where you're flying over the city for example) the entire thing felt like you were fighting for a few farms and there was no real gravity to any of it except for when your squad-mates died.
I dunno what game you played, but mine started in farms, moved to a secret military base, scouted an invasion force under cover of night, mounted a land/air assault on a Covenant installation, fought up a beach to a secret space-fighter launch facility, launched the secret space fighter, disabled, infiltrated and hijacked a Covenant cruiser, got tossed out of a spaceship, saved civilians from a massive city on fire, went back to the secret base to an even more double secret underground base to get Cortana, then hightailed it to a naval shipyard and defended that from a huge alien onslaught long enough to get Cortana on a dropship, then sacrificed myself to cover the Pillar of Autumn's launch/escape. Maybe your disc was scratched after level one or something?

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Shnakepup posted:

IIRC, "Infinity Slayer" is the drop-from-the-sky mode, while regular Slayer is the same as previous games.
This is basically correct.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

ironlung posted:

Map control in Halo generally meant "camp the power weapon spawn with the least entrances," making most matches on asymmetrical maps play out the same way every time. The change in Infinity Slayer promotes movement around the map since you can't just set up shop in the Acme Little Giant EZ-C4MP(tm) Snipin' Tower and wait for more snipe ammo all day long. Jury's (obviously) still out on whether or not it will actually be fun, but the concept sounds decent enough that I'll wait to play it before calling it bad or whatevs.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If the War Games Pass is included in the console then I'm going to cancel my preorder for the LE. No sense in preordering the console and the LE!!!!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The war games pass is not included in either the console or the LE. The LE comes with access to the maps, but not the extra bonus stuff (helmets, emblem) from the standalone pack.

DarkOmen
Jul 10, 2010
If anyone is in need of some of those double exp codes pm me and I will try to get you a few. I work for Pepsi so I will be able to get my hands on a good amount of them.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Funkmaster General posted:

The war games pass is not included in either the console or the LE. The LE comes with access to the maps, but not the extra bonus stuff (helmets, emblem) from the standalone pack.

Where was this confirmed? My understanding was that the LE had it's own armor stuff on top of the code for the war games pass and it's own unlocks.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

BrokenKnees posted:

Where was this confirmed? My understanding was that the LE had it's own armor stuff on top of the code for the war games pass and it's own unlocks.

They posted it in one if their 343 blog posts. That said, I was coming back to the thread to edit my post because someone from 343 apparently said on twitter today that this isn't the case and that the LE pass DOES include the helmets and emblem.

rrraaagggeee
Dec 9, 2009

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Map control in Halo generally meant "camp the power weapon spawn with the least entrances," making most matches on asymmetrical maps play out the same way every time. The change in Infinity Slayer promotes movement around the map since you can't just set up shop in the Acme Little Giant EZ-C4MP(tm) Snipin' Tower and wait for more snipe ammo all day long. Jury's (obviously) still out on whether or not it will actually be fun, but the concept sounds decent enough that I'll wait to play it before calling it bad or whatevs.

But that's wrong. Power weapons are almost never located near power positions on the map. Like The Pit in Halo 3 for example. Powerup is under sword and easily naded, rockets are in tunnel and again not a good place to be, and snipers spawn under the towers. You had to give up good positioning in order to obtain weapons.

Even the sniper on a map like Lockout (which admittedly was in a power position) required you to put yourself temporarily in a line-of-sight to get shot from almost anywhere on the top of the map.

Random is never a good thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MLG Halo matches are the most boring FPS competitions I have ever watched. I'll happily take random over whatever that is.

And in regular non competitive games, same story, I like some controlled chaos in my games, keeps them from getting stale.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I like the idea of everyone just going OH gently caress and racing towards wherever the rockets drop and all hell breaking loose

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

lenoon posted:

No ODST hekmet?

The recruit helmet looks like an ODST to me.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

rrraaagggeee posted:

But that's wrong. Power weapons are almost never located near power positions on the map. Like The Pit in Halo 3 for example.
That'd be great if I didn't specifically say I was talking about asymmetric maps.

quote:

Even the sniper on a map like Lockout (which admittedly was in a power position) required you to put yourself temporarily in a line-of-sight to get shot from almost anywhere on the top of the map.
Still, you're right about this; most of the time the maps were "get the power weapons and then go camp the power position every loving time." In other words: different from what I said, still completely boring as gently caress.

quote:

This is one of the biggest loads of horseshit that ever fell out of someone's mouth and the entire reason Reach's bloom was poorly received by the "pro" community as a luck factor and not a skill factor.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

InfinEight posted:

Also here's this if anyone is interested:

Oh no. I don't see ODST! MY TRACK RECORD IS RUINED!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MickRaider posted:

The Scout helmet looks pretty ODST-ish to me

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

MickRaider posted:

Gosh, Mick, that's a shame. I guess you won't be buying Halo 4! And as reigning Forge Second Banana, I will be glad to see you git the gently caress on graciously accept top chair of all things SA Forge related. It's been an honor, sir. :haw:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

They posted it in one if their 343 blog posts. That said, I was coming back to the thread to edit my post because someone from 343 apparently said on twitter today that this isn't the case and that the LE pass DOES include the helmets and emblem.

Can you link it? Cuz back in September, this was posted: https://twitter.com/bsangel/statuses/248590355480604672

quote:

No. Each SKU has unique associated DLC.

Though honestly I don't know if it matters that much, I'm guessing every-single bonus/preorder item is available for unlocking as you play the game, but I haven't actually read that anywhere.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Agreeing with the others, lack of ODST helmet is greatly saddening. I used it from day 1 in Reach. Won't be the same...

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Don't know if this is relevant, but gamespot has a few videos about the different editions and map packs. They open up the limited edition and review all the contents.

I was disappointed to find out that the "Forward Unto Dawn" is a download, and not a physical dvd included in the limited edition. Time to cancel my limited edition and get the standard version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BabyMauler posted:

I think they said because of the time that has passed certain armor has been phased out in UNSC service. It makes sense to not give your top spec solders at what at this point is three generation old hardware. (Mk V, Mk IV Grenadier) What I do want to know is if the Orbital hat is the new ODST gear or has Air Assault replaced it like the description in Reach states. (Recruit hat looks the best)

You can't imagine a few badass veterans using the old school helmet, maybe as a homage to the Spartan-IIs?

Also, is it really such a big deal that every helmet customization option be considered "In cannon" ??

Was Spartans running around in ODST helmets cannon? Pretty sure lots of the options they give you would never be worn by a Spartan.

And that also doesn't prevent them from making a few new helmets in the old "style"

quote:

I'm going to agree with the camp that says this logic is bullshit.

I like the classic halo style, and I'm glad that Slayer will be an option, but I'm definitely open to the new ideas of infinity slayer too.

I mean, comeon. This is the same "Final Destination No Items" that some people play on smashbros, no thanks! I like random stage, high item frequency, all items turned on please! Lets have fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 25, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Super happy the EOD head is back!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Last_Taste posted:

I was disappointed to find out that the "Forward Unto Dawn" is a download, and not a physical dvd included in the limited edition. Time to cancel my limited edition and get the standard version.

There really is no reason to get the LE after watching that review on Gamespot. Maybe I won't return mine if someone here wants to buy the avatar codes/etc from me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I mean, comeon. This is the same "Final Destination No Items" that some people play on smashbros, no thanks! I like random stage, high item frequency, all items turned on please! Lets have fun.

I miss Fiesta Slayer. Hopefully multi-team/grab bag makes a comeback!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
FOTUS looks sweet.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You can't imagine a few badass veterans using the old school helmet, maybe as a homage to the Spartan-IIs?

I don't even think Spartan IVs have any connection to the Spartan IIs outside of legends at this point. It is five years after the Covenant war. All Spartan IIs besides the Chief, and one or two others with Halsey are MIA (dead). I fully expect them to flip their collective poo poo when they meet Chief during the campaign, dude is like two feet taller than them and has not had a shower since Halo 2.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I would hope his armor takes care of that for him.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Spartan IIs can actually enrol in the Spartan IV project to recieve updated armour systems and specialized training :eng101: I don't think there has been any more info released on that matter though, but I'd imagine any remaining IIs that did come forward would be put in training and/or command positions within the new programme. It'll be interesting to see what the Chief has to say to their offer.

Also really excited for tomorrow, wanan see those Elites up close :woop:

secretcode
May 20, 2012

InfinEight posted:

Can you link it? Cuz back in September, this was posted: https://twitter.com/bsangel/statuses/248590355480604672

Ellis confirmed it on his Twitter yesterday. https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/statuses/261211848379092992

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Creepy Goat posted:

It'll be interesting to see what the Chief has to say to their offer.

"I need a weapon" or a similar badass line :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How does Master Chef poop :confused:

• Locked thread