Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
The realtime predictions are key on this. My problem with Swype is if I started to swipe a long word, and gently caress it up someway through, I was hosed. If it can figure out what I was trying to type in the first place, then I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

You don't have to be exact with Swype. You can overshoot letters and even be pretty crazy and still get a decent Swype. You just kind of have to turn off your brain and trust Swype to do it's thing.

poo poo, in some cases, I honestly feel like Swype is more accurate if you're less accurate. It's weird. There will be times I think, "Yep, I totally hosed that up" and it'll pop up with exactly what I was going for.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Does Swiftkey use Android/the stock JB keyboard's built in voice to text? That poo poo is awesome and works really well, but if this swiftkey flow can use that, and there's a way to make it look nicer, I'll definitely start using it. Hopefully since I'm in their VIP poo poo I'll get access to try it soon.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

big mean giraffe posted:

Does Swiftkey use Android/the stock JB keyboard's built in voice to text? That poo poo is awesome and works really well, but if this swiftkey flow can use that, and there's a way to make it look nicer, I'll definitely start using it. Hopefully since I'm in their VIP poo poo I'll get access to try it soon.
Yes, (at least on ICS) when you use the mic button it switches input to "Google Voice Typing".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter287 posted:

Swiftkey is already the best Android keyboard, hands down. Adding swype-style tracing to it just seals the deal.

I love the look of the trace line. I worked on that Kinect game, Dance Central, and the blue-purple neon laser stuff reminds me a lot of that style.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm in a similar boat. Swype had been slowly declining in quality but I can't go back to typing.

New annoyance is they have moved the dot to a different page from the numbers which to me seems completely counter intuitive. I have to hit shift or go back to letters every time I want a decimal point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Frozen-Solid posted:

You don't have to be exact with Swype. You can overshoot letters and even be pretty crazy and still get a decent Swype. You just kind of have to turn off your brain and trust Swype to do it's thing.

That's also how you use Swiftkey. Don't worry about hitting the letters, just tap like wild in the general area of the key you want.

Personally, I can use Swype without even looking, but I'm still way faster with Swiftkey.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The part of Swype that took me the longest to get used to was that you have to get used to tapping wrong words and "reswyping" or tapping it out instead. That's how you teach Swype to understand you better. Rather than backspacing over failed Swypes make sure you tap the wrong word so it's highlighted, and change it. It will weight corrections higher, compared to backspacing and retyping.

The absolute worst part of Swype is that going from swyping to tapping is really awful on it. I hate typing my passwords out on Swype, and I don't want to add them to the Swype dictionary because that's hilariously insecure. Finding symbols and typing numbers is really slow and painful on it. I'm still not used to the new keyboard layout.

It's also really bad when you're trying to use RDP, VNC, or Splashtop/TeamViewer, because typing your passwords that way adds really weird poo poo to the Swype dictionary, and there's no way to correct it's auto correction without adding the "word" to the dictionary.

Unless I'm typing passwords, or trying to type someone's name, I could never go back to tapping. It really sucks too, because Nuance is really loving up everything about Swype. Forcing us to use Dragon Go for voice recognition is awful. I hate it. It never works for me and I can't ever get it to understand anything I say. Meanwhile the new Google Voice Typing is superb.

Swype also started doing this obnoxious thing where sometimes it won't add spaces and sometimes it will. You're supposed to never have to tap the space bar, but it can't decide whether to use spaces or not the strangest places. Sometimes swyping a URL or password won't add spaces. Sometimes it will. I use ConnectBot for SSH, and it refuses to add spaces in there, so I have to type them manually.

Mega Comrade posted:

New annoyance is they have moved the dot to a different page from the numbers which to me seems completely counter intuitive. I have to hit shift or go back to letters every time I want a decimal point.

This drives me insane! The sheer number of IP addresses I type on my tablet or phone makes this the single most obnoxious thing when it comes to trying to tap something out instead of swyping.

It's the little things that make me really hate Swype, but I can't stop using it :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm in a similar boat. Swype had been slowly declining in quality but I can't go back to typing.

And still noautospacesinthestockbrowser. I've signed up for the SwiftKey Flow beta.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek posted:

I really want to jump to CM10 on my GS3, but the only thing holding me back is the Samsung camera app, which has a great HDR feature that makes pretty much every photo balanced and great-looking, but requires TouchWiz.

Can you all suggest a good replacement?

Reposting, got swallowed up in the SwiftKey chat.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Aatrek posted:

Have you tried Camera Zoom FX?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInNsaWRlLmNhbWVyYVpvb20iXQ..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Did SwiftKey servers go down for everyone? I'm trying to put in my credentials for Gmail and Twitter but it stopped and grayed out everything in the personalization menu.

Aatrek posted:

I'd try camera zoom fx. It worked pretty nicely on my Nexus S.. Though it didn't seem to have HDR settings.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 25, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Aatrek posted:

I've been using this app for a few years not for my HDR pictures... they have a free version you can try too if you like.

HDR Camera
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almalence.hdr_plus

Camera Zoom FX doesn't do HDR, at least that I've seen

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
The only thing that makes me nervous about Swiftkey is that it logs everything you type, right? Doesn't that include passwords and whatnot? I've been using an old de-crappified version of Swype with the internet blocked (thanks, Droidwall!) because I was always afraid of the keyboard app having access to my passwords.

Please goons, relieve my paranoia about Swiftkey! I'm tired of this old version of Swype but could never go back to touch typing. I signed up for the new Switftkey beta so I'll give it a shot (probably going to block that too though).

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2012

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Did SwiftKey servers go down for everyone? I'm trying to put in my credentials for Gmail and Twitter but it stopped and grayed out everything in the personalization menu.

Yeah, they seem to be down - same thing happened for me as well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I do really like Swype's number keypad screen. Not the symbol page, the one the kinda looks like a calculator layout. Also, the Edit page. I do wish that SwiftKey had something like that, so I could select lines of text to cut/copy and whatnot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

The only thing that makes me nervous about Swiftkey is that it logs everything you type, right? Doesn't that include passwords and whatnot? I've been using an old de-crappified version of Swype with the internet blocked (thanks, Droidwall!) because I was always afraid of the keyboard app having access to my passwords.

Please goons, relieve my paranoia about Swiftkey! I'm tired of this old version of Swype but could never go back to touch typing. I signed up for the new Switftkey beta so I'll give it a shot (probably going to block that too though).
No you're definitely correct that the entire point behind Swype and SwiftKey were to create trust by legitimately serving millions of people just so they could harvest your password to SomethingAwful. The whole thing- hiring people, giving them wages and benefits, filing corporate tax returns, all of that is so they'd be able to maybe, just maybe, sniff out your online banking password so they could get away with the tens of dollars you have in checking. And if they manage to order something on your Amazon account, well, that's just gravy!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

No you're definitely correct that the entire point behind Swype and SwiftKey were to create trust by legitimately serving millions of people just so they could harvest your password to SomethingAwful. The whole thing- hiring people, giving them wages and benefits, filing corporate tax returns, all of that is so they'd be able to maybe, just maybe, sniff out your online banking password so they could get away with the tens of dollars you have in checking. And if they manage to order something on your Amazon account, well, that's just gravy!

I'm not necessarily worried about the company behind these apps. I'm worried about their security. Data leaks happen all the drat time. But you just go on and troll anyway. :rolleyes:

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

Is this app supposed to take 3 of the same picture or is it supposed to vary the exposure between shots? It just appears to be a way to take 3 slow photos on my EVO 3D and then add yet another filter at the end.

edit:

FlyingCheese posted:

I'm not necessarily worried about the company behind these apps. I'm worried about their security. Data leaks happen all the drat time. But you just go on and troll anyway. :rolleyes:
Here is their response and privacy policy.

Cruseydr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 25, 2012

I light fires
May 12, 2001
Are there any amazing slide show apps out there? I want to run slideshows on TV monitors on a couple of those android hdmi sticks and grab photos off a networked drive. I've tried Digital Photo Frame Slideshow but its kind of meh and constantly messes with the picture order and is slow to update when new photos are added to the directory.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

The sum of all fears.

FlyingCheese posted:

Data leaks do happen all the time, including to the places where your passwords etc are stored. No, not Swype Headquarters, I mean all the places that you're using those passwords (like Sony Online :woop:). Anyone breaching the Swype Datafortress would have a way harder job making use of the information than the people who got usernames, passwords, and credit information all in a tidy package from Sony (especially because a lot of people re-use usernames and passwords all over the place). They'd need to decipher which things in your hundreds or thousands of personal words were actually login names and passwords, and then they're need to decide what those were credentials for. If your passwords are so bad that they give it away (like BankOfAmerica666) then I suppose you reap the derp you've sown. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FlyingCheese posted:

SwiftKey turns off the word recommendation thing on most password boxes, and it's never reccomended any of my passwords in autocomplete so I think it doesn't track that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Data leaks do happen all the time, including to the places where your passwords etc are stored. No, not Swype Headquarters, I mean all the places that you're using those passwords (like Sony Online :woop:). Anyone breaching the Swype Datafortress would have a way harder job making use of the information than the people who got usernames, passwords, and credit information all in a tidy package from Sony (especially because a lot of people re-use usernames and passwords all over the place). They'd need to decipher which things in your hundreds or thousands of personal words were actually login names and passwords, and then they're need to decide what those were credentials for. If your passwords are so bad that they give it away (like BankOfAmerica666) then I suppose you reap the derp you've sown. :v:
This is exactly right. Any data leak from a third-party keyboard would be pretty much indecipherable information. A data leak from someone with whom you do business where they have all of your information neatly defined in a database that can be searched is what is desirable.

Being afraid of the data a well-known keyboard is sending home about your usage habits due to fears they're logging your information is pretty close to NSA mind-probe ray territory. Even if you have no idea how the data it's logging is being used (and judging by the question, he clearly doesn't) it's positively ridiculous to think that it's a security risk in the way of compiling usable information about a particular user.

It'd be one thing if this was some third-party keyboard no one's heard of instead of one created by the guy who invented T9 and is currently being installed by OEMs and carriers on devices.

Edited to add:

I guess if someone though is dumb enough to use some version of the app that's been hacked up on xda to "de-crappify" it, then yeah, there's a risk it's harvesting your data. But who'd be retarded enough to use keyboard that's clearly been tampered with when the real version is freely available and is known to be trustworthy? You'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 25, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Splizwarf posted:

Thank you for explaining it intelligently and being straightforward.

LastInLine posted:

Being afraid of the data a well-known keyboard is sending home about your usage habits due to fears they're logging your information is pretty close to NSA mind-probe ray territory. Even if you have no idea how the data it's logging is being used (and judging by the question, he clearly doesn't) it's positively ridiculous to think that it's a security risk in the way of compiling usable information about a particular user.

Except that android has a very specific warning when you enable a 3rd party keyboard, stating that it has direct access to passwords, etc. It's hardly NSA mind-probe levels of insanity. It loving tells you right in the OS.

LastInLine posted:

I guess if someone though is dumb enough to use some version of the app that's been hacked up on xda to "de-crappify" it, then yeah, there's a risk it's harvesting your data. But who'd be retarded enough to use keyboard that's clearly been tampered with when the real version is freely available and is known to be trustworthy? You'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

I never said it was a hacked version of Swype gotten off XDA. It's simply an old beta that I reverted back to from before they added a bunch of useless poo poo. It came from my own backup of the app. I might have used the wrong word "de-crappify" but you don't have to be offensive about it. Dick.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 25, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Cruseydr posted:

Is this app supposed to take 3 of the same picture or is it supposed to vary the exposure between shots? It just appears to be a way to take 3 slow photos on my EVO 3D and then add yet another filter at the end.

It creates the HDR image by taking 3 pictures at different exposure levels and then presses them together. There are no filters applied.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 25, 2012

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

It creates the HDR image by taking 3 pictures at different exposure levels and then presses them together. There are no filters applied.
Must be just one of many 3rd party cameras that don't work properly on the EVO 3D then. The filters I am talking about are after you take a picture and choose the preset brightness/contrast/saturation levels (Natural, Black and White, Candy, Artistic, etc).

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Oh ok, yeah the resulting image that you get is supposed to be from 3 images of different exposure. I guess the filters after are there if you want to further "enhance" the image.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mega Comrade posted:

For what it is worth, you can press and hold the ' key (next to EN) and choose the period. It is slower and annoying, but available.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Peppersmith posted:

When I was looking for a Google Books-style syncing ebook reader, I found Fabrik:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.icereader&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImVzLmljZXJlYWRlciJd
Attractive, syncs book library with a folder in your Dropbox, syncs reading position between devices, handles the common formats. My only gripe is that sync frequency can't be modified as to sync in the background, like Google Books. I've read a few books on my cellphone and tablet- once the background sync is finished, the experience is seamless.

Thanks for this. It's great. I was using nook reader but the sync on this works really well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cruseydr posted:

Yes, (at least on ICS) when you use the mic button it switches input to "Google Voice Typing".

When I hit the mic button on my Swiftkey, it does nothing :(

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is there an audio streaming app that I can set to record a .pls stream at a specific time so I can listen later?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

internet celebrity posted:

Is there an audio streaming app that I can set to record a .pls stream at a specific time so I can listen later?

I know that tune in does this, but not sure if it can handle a custom .pls stream. Poking around now...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

beerinator posted:

ComicRack it's not free, but there is a free version that should be linked from that Play Store page. I like it because I can host the comics on my computer and share them wirelessly with my tablet. I think the wifi share options are only available on the paid version.

Sweet, thanks! I have no problem paying for good apps, so I'll try the free one for a few days and get the paid one if I like it.

BluDiE posted:

Perfect Viewer has always worked wonderfully well for me.

This looks good too! Thanks for all the good ideas!

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 26, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Need recommendation for .epub file book app. The one that comes with my tablet, Asus MyLibrary, is terrible.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Bobulus posted:

Need recommendation for .epub file book app. The one that comes with my tablet, Asus MyLibrary, is terrible.

Aldiko is what you're looking for, which was mentioned just a bit ago. I don't do a lot of reading, but it worked for the wife, who read drat near then entire "Song of Ice and Fire" series on it. (Night Mode tends to work better for readability).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm a big fan of Moon+ for ebooks. Moon+ and Aldiko are the Coke and Pepsi of Android e-readers, with FBReader playing RC Cola.

e: Oh yeah, I forgot. Fabrik is apparently the Monster Energy Drink. Gotta try it.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 26, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I just responded to a post 5 posts before yours for Fabrik. It's a sync'able epub reader which is awesome. Uses dropbox to do so. It's been working good for the last few days that I've been using it.

Fabrik
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.icereader

Other than that, I've been using the nook app to read my epubs. Has always worked really well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Adding praise to Fabrik... I bought it for the occasional book I, for whatever reason, don't get on Google Play or Amazon...

Actually, that brings up a new question... How many different ebook readers do people have on their devices?

I have 3, Google Play Books, Amazon Kindle and Fabrik Pro...

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I'm running CoolReader, FBReader and ezPDF on my Nexus 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
swiftkey flow looks good, can't wait for that.

• Locked thread