Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So it looks like there's going to be shortages in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

A new console being understocked isn't news, it's the norm.

quote:

#1 Zarckan 26/10/12, 9:35 am

Bull poo poo!

Nobody wants the bloody thing, as such Nintendo are doing a PR thing to make people thing there will be shortages so they all go, like lemmings, and pre-order it!

:allears:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did the wii u version of sonic all stars racing transformed just get delayed? Amazon pushed back the delivery date to dec. 11 (gamestop still shows november 18 though)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Amazon didn't have enough units. I hope that's the case anyway, that's the second game I pre ordered bring delayed if that's the case. On the other hand, less than a month, would give me something to pick up later and more time to play other launch games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god, if Monster Hunter is a release title I might have to get this as an early Christmas present. I don't think I give enough of a poo poo about AC3 or Arkham but maybe I'll grab the Mario game too.

edit: Oh, MH isn't a launch title? The OP is a little unclear on that.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 26, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Pollyanna posted:

Oh god, if Monster Hunter is a release title I might have to get this as an early Christmas present. I don't think I give enough of a poo poo about AC3 or Arkham but maybe I'll grab the Mario game too.

edit: Oh, MH isn't a launch title? The OP is a little unclear on that.

It will be released in NA and Europe in March 2013 (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31679).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

A new console being understocked isn't news, it's the norm.

:allears:

Gamers.txt is going to explode with all the nerd rage when MH comes out in a bit.

Oh God and Bayonetta in 2014 or whenever. "It doesn't matter if it wouldn't have existed without Nintendo! Nintendo should have funded it and then given it to Microsoft for free so they could sell it to true hardcore gamers like me." :allears:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

I also like how console launches make some people go kind of crazy with buying games. Instead of staggering game purchases over time, all of a sudden there's an impulsive need to buy everything they want all at once with the console.

...and yes I've done it before too :doh:.

I went almost a year without buying a single game for my PS3! It helped a ton that I used it as a bluray player a lot, but I survived off demos and discounted rentals from Blockbuster. Why would I pay full price for a game I can beat in 8 hours?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

Did the wii u version of sonic all stars racing transformed just get delayed? Amazon pushed back the delivery date to dec. 11 (gamestop still shows november 18 though)
Saw this over on NeoGAF's thread:
http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/24/amazon-us-claims-1211-delay-for-console-asrt-in-error/

quote:

Above is a shot showing the XBOX 360, PS3, and Wii U versions of ASRT’s bonus edition with the December 11th date as of 7:10 PM this evening, Eastern time. No date change has been seen on Amazon’s UK page, and no other retailer is listing the new date for the home console editions.

We have checked in with a source, and it appears this change was made erroneously. The home console versions of ASR Transformed remain on track for mid-November release.
So at least fow now it appears to be a screwup by Amazon.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

There were production issues in Europe if I remember, at least two big incidents that would be enough to hamper stock a bit. Going to play to their advantage, of course, making it rare to drive up hype. Hopefully they won't push the shortages much, not that I'll be able to get anything until January at the earliest.

2013's looking to be an expensive year, especially the first few months. :(

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I wish there was a way to change my vote, I voted "yes" before noticing "Waluigi" was a choice. :blush:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

I wish there was a way to change my vote, I voted "yes" before noticing "Waluigi" was a choice. :blush:

I meant to click Waluigi and accidentally clicked Waa. It haunts me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Need for Speed: Most Wanted seems to be coming to Wii U, which is cool I guess. Game looks pretty sweet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Just received these at work (Staples) today along with all the Windows 8 stuff.

Also: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/26/report-silicon-knights-was-working-on-eternal-darkness-2

Turns out ED2 was in (extremely early stages of) development. Before you start going "What could have been!" they developed a sort of "Hey check out this idea and fund us if you like it" demo for publishers and it was far from a diamond in the rough.

IGN posted:

Kotaku's sources go into further detail, saying during their tenure at the company, not much progress was made. One even described the demo as being generally very poor, citing "bad tech, combined with a team composed of people who had not shipped a title since Metal Gear... I can't explain why things went so poorly for them [except that] a lot of key people responsible for the original Eternal Darkness are long gone."

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 27, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I remember when SK lost their battle against Valve (or whoever built the engine they sued over) there were immediate rumors that Nintendo pulled out of a ED2 deal with them because of their financial situation. So that news isn't surprising to me, nor, to be honest, is the apparently poor quality of the mockup.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo should just try buying the rights to Eternal Darkness and doing it themselves/give it to a different developer.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
So does nintendo not remember that releasing so far in advance of the next-gen playstation is what killed the dreamcast? On a related note why are they releasing a new gen so soon after the last one?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Glenn_Beckett posted:

So does nintendo not remember that releasing so far in advance of the next-gen playstation is what killed the dreamcast? On a related note why are they releasing a new gen so soon after the last one?

What killed the Dreamcast was lack of support and that people were burned by the previous systems like 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn_Beckett posted:

On a related note why are they releasing a new gen so soon after the last one?

You're kidding, right?

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?

Glenn_Beckett posted:

:confused: The N64 came out late 1996, the Gamecube came out in late 2001, and the Wii came out in 2006. It's been a year longer gap than before for Nintendo consoles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Glenn_Beckett posted:

This generation's gone on for like 6/7 years now and the last one lasted from '99 to '05, so it's not that soon.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cliff Racer posted:

You're kidding, right?

While it has been 5 years the 360 and the PS3 were supposed to be a 10 year life cycle. There are still games being pumped out for the PS2 which has allready surpassed 10 years of active game releases.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

why are they releasing a new gen so soon after the last one?

Since when is 6 years "so soon"? That seems fairly normal.

edit:

Vaerai Archon posted:

While it has been 5 years
6 years for the PS3/Wii, 7 for the 360.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Q_res posted:

Yes but the economy is terrible.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Not sure how many of you use club nintendo, but they have some pre-surveys for Super Mario Bros U, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Nintendo Land that get you an extra 10 coins when/if you do buy the games and register them, expires Nov 11.

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008

Glenn_Beckett posted:

The PS2 launching after the Dreamcast did not alone kill the Dreamcast. By that logic you could just as easily say the Playstation 2 should have failed because the more powerful Xbox/Gamecube released a little under two years after it. By that same analogy we could say the Wii U is positioned to see a similar level of success to the PS2 because it's spear heading the next generation of consoles.

ReliableSand fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 27, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Glenn_Beckett posted:

So does nintendo not remember that releasing so far in advance of the next-gen playstation is what killed the dreamcast?

Dreamcast died because of Sega's idiocy and going apeshit because the PS2 had a built-in DVD player.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Vaerai Archon posted:

Yes but the economy is terrible.

The economy has been terrible before.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Policenaut posted:

This generation's gone on for like 6/7 years now and the last one lasted from '99 to '05, so it's not that soon.

I must be getting old because 2006 feels like it was a year ago somehow.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Q_res posted:

Funny thing is that it's glacial compared to the rest of the tech industry, consoles are sort of a bargain considering how long they remain relevant.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

For some perspective in the tech world, in 2006 smartphones looked like this, "iPhone" was just a perpetual rumor, Vista was just coming out, and Macs went through the PPC to Intel transition. And the 360 was already a year old by then! (while the original Xbox was only four years old when the 360 came out)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Well you can thaw yourself now, Cartman.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

Funny thing is that it's glacial compared to the rest of the tech industry, consoles are sort of a bargain considering how long they remain relevant.

And compared to the life of AV products like televisions and DVD players its pitifully short.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
To be fair TV manufacturers want you to buy a new TV every 3-5 years so loving badly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

To be fair TV manufacturers want you to buy a new TV every 3-5 years so loving badly.

True, but there are generally some advances in LCD/OLED tech to justify this a little.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True, but there are generally some advances in LCD/OLED tech to justify this a little.

Yes but we all know the dark truth that many of us are stockpiling Trinitrons for our old videogame systems.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cliff Racer posted:

And compared to the life of AV products like televisions and DVD players its pitifully short.

DVD players were relevant for maybe six or seven years before Blu-Ray arrived; TVs have been commented on already.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

DVD players were relevant for maybe six or seven years before Blu-Ray arrived; TVs have been commented on already.

If by relevant you mean "still vastly more common and put into use than Blu-Ray players" then DVD players remain relevant to this day.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I mean relevant as in state-of-the-art. Blu-Ray has definitely left the "early adopters/enthusiasts only" phase of it's lifecycle and is moving into the mass market at a massive rate. At least here in Germany, it seems like DVD releases are an afterthought to the Blu-Ray.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
More Miiverse info is coming before launch

quote:

- Iwata wants to explain the Miiverse in detail prior to the Wii U launching
- he wants to do this through a Nintendo Direct
- Iwata: You'll be able to become friends with others through Miiverse; increasing the number of friends to play with is its critical mission.
- It seems that Iwata might be saying that Nintendo has done away with the need for mutual friend code exchanges. Seems that you can become friends with some

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=189037

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Iwata posted:

Iwata: "I don't know when our fans will get bored with seeing a regular guy in his 50s talking about games over and over, but I'd like to continue doing it for as long as they enjoy watching and paying attention to Nintendo Directs."

:allears: I'll never get bored as long as important and interesting stuff is discussed.

• Locked thread