Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
We should get a meta tag going soonish.

Just started watching FuD, some nice little touches with some Reach Spartan concept art on the walls around the academy. Are the kids UNSC Army or Marines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Yes, a new meta tag is a must! I vote Napoleon Bonerfarts AKA Faart XCUSE ME to maintain it as he's clearly the gooniest out of all of us

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BabyMauler posted:

We should get a meta tag going soonish.

Just started watching FuD, some nice little touches with some Reach Spartan concept art on the walls around the academy. Are the kids UNSC Army or Marines?

I think they're Marines. It's never explicitly stated, but they do cryo training, which the Army wouldn't have any need to do, and according to Halo Nation, General Black and the Colonel are both Marines.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Pretty sure it's a Naval academy.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I think they're Marines. It's never explicitly stated, but they do cryo training, which the Army wouldn't have any need to do, and according to Halo Nation, General Black and the Colonel are both Marines.

At the end of the third one Dima calls the guy Marine, guess that it explains it. Show gets loving amazing, I got a little chief chubbie right now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This is some of the best quality footage I've seen yet, just in terms of capture quality. The commentary is also hilarious if you don't speak spanish. Trust me on this one.

But the real reason I bring it up is that this video seems to show lag. This isn't some alarmist "OMG THIS GAME WILL BE LAGGY" post or anything, but the lag compensation seems to behave a bit differently than Reach or Halo 3. Potentially interesting to check out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of this multiplayer footage, is this just the press getting early copies, or people having pirated the game? Some of this looks pretty official and authorized by Microsoft though. I really wish there had been a beta test.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Sublimer posted:

My biggest worry about Halo 4 is not that I won't like it. I'm sure it will be a great game. But what if I'm not awesome at it? I'm pretty bad rear end at Reach having gone onyx the past 3 arena seasons. Hopefully I can be just as successful in H4.

Gildersneeze, you gonna play H4 with me or what? I know we had some issues in the past, but that should be water under the man cannon at this point. You're a good player, I'm a good player... you play with good people, I play with good people. Lets squash the beef and rock out when H4 comes out!
I'm not hardly as competitive about Halo as you are, but I'm willing to give burying the hatchet a whirl. Just try not to talk poo poo about my buddies for not playing like/as well as you do in the very first game we ever play together. Some of those guys have been my XBL-bros for around five years now and it was kinda like "who's this new guy coming in here acting like an rear end in a top hat to my pals?"

After that you kinda started trying to dominate the conversation with "lol random monkey cheese" and some "edgy" story about guys kissing at a frat party or something that no one cared about or was as unnerved as you were seemingly hoping to make us. None of it was funny, so it ended with "will this moron shut the gently caress up for a second? No? Boot." Basically, don't come in trying to be goony as gently caress. poo poo can be funny on the forums, but it's dumb as hell in actual conversation.

Regardless of who I play with some of y'all do and some of y'all don't know my routine for a Halo game: I always beat the campaign first, so don't expect much MP the first couple days.

After that it'll depend on how good Forge is :v:

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 28, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

$25 gc if you order through MS store

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Funkmaster General posted:

This is some of the best quality footage I've seen yet, just in terms of capture quality. The commentary is also hilarious if you don't speak spanish. Trust me on this one.

But the real reason I bring it up is that this video seems to show lag. This isn't some alarmist "OMG THIS GAME WILL BE LAGGY" post or anything, but the lag compensation seems to behave a bit differently than Reach or Halo 3. Potentially interesting to check out.

How the hell are they playing this competitively already?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

I don't speak Spanish and now I want to know why one of the commentators switched to English to say "Master Chief is back, baby."

Edit: Wait, how does that show how it will compensate for lag? It's LAN play.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 28, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I don't speak Spanish and now I want to know why one of the commentators switched to English to say "Master Chief is back, baby."

Edit: Wait, how does that show how it will compensate for lag? It's LAN play.

Is it? Well poo poo, maybe it was the stream that was lagging then? It seemed to be running totally smoothly, and the audio never stuttered or desynched, but there was some distinct bungiechord lag visible. Looked a lot like CoD style lag compensation I guess.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Yeah, after the match is over, the two teams are sitting at two banks of four monitors face to face. It's basically a Spanish MLG-style tourney going on.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ah, well, sorry then. Didn't watch too much of it. It's still decent gameplay footage, though.

Namaste posted:

How the hell are they playing this competitively already?

Microsoft Sponsorship, I'd imagine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New battle rifle looks and sounds less like a Halo weapon and more like some kind of experimental rifle the military might use today. I think I like it.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Christoff posted:

$25 gc if you order through MS store

pretty sweet but no release date delivery is a deal breaker

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon is the only one I know of that offers release date delivery.

milkfat
May 6, 2003
Moo.
dewxp: w93mz hw9zx

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

There's a thread for this in Coupons.

milkfat
May 6, 2003
Moo.

Thanks, my bad.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ugh... cancelled my preorder

I cancelled the Limited Edition because I just wanted the Xbox. Then I cancelled the console edition because I figured I would be okay with using my current Xbox. So I've been trying to reorder the LE, but its sold out everywhere :cry:

I gotta have the LE at launch! Someone help me find one available please!!!!

well, I put my email in the Amazon.com queue. Maybe someone won't be able to pay for the game. There's still a chance!

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 29, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Keep checking Walmart too, it seems to come in and out of stock fairly often.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just bit the bullet and purchased the standard edition from Best Buy. I'll purchase the War Games pass separately. Plus, you get the specializations with the standard edition now. Also, I don't care about skins anymore. They can suck my left hairy testicle. Too much money!!

after cancelling both the LE and console I saved my self about $450. I preordered both ONLY for the helmets and skins. Now that they are cancelled I'm no longer a stupid idiot! When the opportunity arises, I'll go back for the LE.

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 29, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Yeah, the standard edition is looking like the best deal as long as you play one round of MP in the first week or whatever it is and don't really care about silly pack-in junk. Ten bucks cheaper overall.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why one round in the first week?

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Why one round in the first week?

If you play matchmaking from launch until November 20, you get 6 extra specialization classes.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
How much is the War Games pass?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Edit: ^^^ $30, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit again: I'm mistaken! 2000MSP ($25)

Yeah, that's it. They're the same Specializations as the LE, so getting the standard plus the season pass for the MP maps is the better deal by far unless you like not-actual-gameplay-related pack-ins.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shagster104 posted:

If you play matchmaking from launch until November 20, you get 6 extra specialization classes.

Specializations being the thing you can't use until you reach level 50 and all eight of which will be unlocked for everyone eventually?

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

How much is the War Games pass?

$25

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Wow, even less reason to buy the LE. I thought those were LE and early adopters only. Did I miss something or did MS start hating money all of a sudden?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edit: ^^^ $30, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit again: I'm mistaken! 2000MSP ($25)

Yeah, that's it. They're the same Specializations as the LE, so getting the standard plus the season pass for the MP maps is the better deal by far unless you like not-actual-gameplay-related pack-ins.

...I like non-gameplay pack-ins :negative:.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I am a steel case whore and hate money, LE it is! I can't even remember what is packed in it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wow, even less reason to buy the LE. I thought those were LE and early adopters only. Did I miss something or did MS start hating money all of a sudden?

Okay, but wait. Let's be fair here. If these weren't eventually unlocked for everyone latecomers would literally be at a disadvantage forever. Six stat-altering mods are unlocked via those specializations. Plus that's 60 levels worth of additional exp to be earned before you're "done" with MP, meaning the game would have shorter legs for those people too.

The bullshit part is giving them early to early adopters, especially when they had already announced they would be LE only until they unlocked for everyone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Any news yet for the length of the campaign?

I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything, apologies if this has been asked before.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

The bullshit part is giving them early to early adopters, especially when they had already announced they would be LE only until they unlocked for everyone.
Bullshit for nerds with more money than sense. I was never buying the LE so it's great news for me.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
True dat. I'm glad I got sense knocked into me, as well. That reminds me of the time I sold my textbooks and used the cash to get the Legendary version of Halo: Reach!

Ah, good times. I played the heck out of that game though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any news yet for the length of the campaign?

I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything, apologies if this has been asked before.

They haven't said anything specific, but they have said that it will be longer than previous titles. Whether this means "an hour or two longer" or "twice as long" or whatever is up in the air.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

True dat. I'm glad I got sense knocked into me, as well. That reminds me of the time I sold my textbooks and used the cash to get the Legendary version of Halo: Reach!

Ah, good times. I played the heck out of that game though.

Hey man, you still rocking the same gamer tag?

Lou Takki here.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

They haven't said anything specific, but they have said that it will be longer than previous titles. Whether this means "an hour or two longer" or "twice as long" or whatever is up in the air.
Man, some levels in Halo 3 are an hour+ long if you aren't pulling some crazy speed run stuff. If it's longer than previous titles I hope that means "more levels," not "levels that drag on for too long."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Man, some levels in Halo 3 are an hour+ long if you aren't pulling some crazy speed run stuff. If it's longer than previous titles I hope that means "more levels," not "levels that drag on for too long."

Reach really hit the right balance of level length and challenge, so that's probably a good sign for Halo 4. The levels had great setpieces and just enough time in corridors or minor fights between them for you to de-stress a little before the next one.

• Locked thread