Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Pontiac Sunbird headlights switched left/right. :v:

Good eye, thanks. Though the use of that emoticon made me think you were joking. Or are you? Damnit internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

BoostCreep posted:

Good eye, thanks. Though the use of that emoticon made me think you were joking. Or are you? Damnit internet!

I just saw the new posts and I was going to post the same thing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The front end of that bricklin almost looks like that of a late 80s corolla.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I was joking in hopes some poor Bricklin owner didn't actually try to align a set of crosseyed headlights.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Couldn't possibly be these, could it?

e: no

echoplex fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 28, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The front end of that bricklin almost looks like that of a late 80s corolla.

It looks like a mini Delorean front end to me.

Sockington posted:

I was joking in hopes some poor Bricklin owner didn't actually try to align a set of crosseyed headlights.

Ah, ok. If I go with something like this I'd keep the stock headlights and just use the Sunbird lights as dummy/parking lights. Though looking at that picture again, it does look like the lights are angled inwards a bit to correct for the switched positions.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Sockington posted:

To own a Bricklin you need to be crazy and/or stupid, and to try to align crosseyed headlights you need to be crazy and/or stupid. I see no problem. :v:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

It looks like a mini Delorean front end to me.

My first thought was Corrado. The lights aren't the right shape though.

Any reason you have to use Sunbird (assuming that's what those are) lights? You may have better luck taking measurements and finding something that will fit out of a common car in a JY that you won't have to swap sides or turn upside down. Along the lines of a late '80s Pontiac 6000 or Cutlass Ciera.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Black88GTA posted:

My first thought was Corrado. The lights aren't the right shape though.

Any reason you have to use Sunbird (assuming that's what those are) lights? You may have better luck taking measurements and finding something that will fit out of a common car in a JY that you won't have to swap sides or turn upside down. Along the lines of a late '80s Pontiac 6000 or Cutlass Ciera.

Nope, any lights would work. I don't even necessarily have to keep the same design as that suntan one. I just like how the sides line up with the front of the fenders. It gives it a nice clean look. The idea is just to make a bigger opening for an intercooler without having to cut holes in factory body panels while still making it look somewhat nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BoostCreep posted:

Nope, any lights would work. I don't even necessarily have to keep the same design as that suntan one. I just like how the sides line up with the front of the fenders. It gives it a nice clean look.
Yeah, that's the trick isn't it. The 90s GM/Chev C/K trucks had a long and somewhat narrow headlight assembly that might fit pretty well and should be plentiful and cheap, but not sure about that corner for the fender.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
The 90's cutlass supreme had long thin lamps. Might look cool.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Have classic Camaro hide-away headlights behind the grill. The normal pop-up headlights activate your ram-air setup for each one of your twin turbos.

:clint:

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

BoostCreep posted:

I just found a very cool front end modification that might allow me to use an intercooler without needing to cut holes anywhere. Plus it looks really nice.

Problem is I don't know what headlights these are. Anyone have any ideas? I thought 90's Dodge Daytona at first, but after looking it up that's wrong. Google reverse image search just brings me to an out of date Geocities type page.

Its like the sportier Canadian cousin of the Aston Martin Lagonda.

Refreshed version ditched the popups for 6(!) Halogens

Edit: lol I've never seen a picture with the popups open before:

Didn't think it was possible to make that car any more awkward.

Mike_P fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 29, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man they missed a trick not making a "spyder" version. :v:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mike_P posted:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Have classic Camaro hide-away headlights behind the grill. The normal pop-up headlights activate your ram-air setup for each one of your twin turbos.

:clint:

It's a good thing there isn't room for two turbos cause that would be amazing.

Also your avatar threw me for a loop. I thought someone was randomly using one of your sexy pictures for an avatar until I saw it was you.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got a price quote for an iron block 5.3 changeover at $1,300. That comes with everything needed for the swap except the transmission. So that's an engine with around 50-60k miles, ECU, wiring harness, and all accessories minus the A/C compressor. I do want A/C though so I'd need to figure that bit out.

My plan is to go up there and check it out in person on Saturday to see what kind of deal I can get. They don't have any T56 transmissions, but an auto will add an additional $750 on top of the $1,300. I feel like $2050 is a bit much. Am I off here? I know the engine has half the mileage of those $300 5.3 engines out there, but 2 grand for a used engine and auto tranny seems high. Wiring harnesses and ECUs are usually in the $400 range from what I've seen.

I'd still rather look for a T56 if I can, but the lowest I'm seeing one around me is $2,200 and it has 118k miles on it.

Still researching other transmission options.

Also, here are my engine bay measurements.

Width, frame rail to frame rail: 28.5"
Width, top of shock towers: 34"
Width, windshield washer bottle to brake master cylinder (inner most points at the top of the bay near the firewall): 28"
Width, between stock engine mounts : 12"
Length, firewall to radiator: 38"
Length, cowl to radiator (engine would have to fit under the cowl lip): 35"
Length, firewall to engine mount center: 15"
Height, engine cradle crossmember to hood: 23"
Height, top of engine mounts to hood: 18"

Trans tunnel:
Top of tunnel to cowl: 9"
Trans tunnel opening at firewall: 16" wide, ~11" tall
Width at top of tunnel: 11"
Length, firewall to center of shifter location: 24"

Hopefully I can find a suitable transmission that costs less than a used T56, can handle 500+ ft lbs, doesn't shift like a truck, and bolts up to the LS1.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

Hopefully I can find a suitable transmission that costs less than a used T56, can handle 500+ ft lbs, doesn't shift like a truck, and bolts up to the LS1.

And then to ride off into the sunset on your gilded unicorn :allears:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BoostCreep posted:

costs less than a used T56, can handle 500+ ft lbs, doesn't shift like a truck, and bolts up to the LS1.

Choose any 3.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$2k is too much IMHO. Can't you get a Z28 half cut for that with an LS1 and T56? I could be off, but a wrecked donor should go for less than their price.

I think you should be buying the donor and doing the pull yourself. It will help immensely in the "where the gently caress does that go" department.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BoostCreep posted:

For what your wanting... only requirement 1 and 3 will work together... your going to need some beefy rear end internals to handle 500 ft lbs.

Have you looked to the Germans? I think ZF makes a manual transmission that would fit the first 2, but would require some modification.

Edit: Never mind.. the input shaft is to short. It can be done though from looking around on the internet.

But it is rated for 450 ft lbs. The S6-40 was used in the corvette.... So again, its a thought.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 1, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

And then to ride off into the sunset on your gilded unicorn :allears:

A man can dream, ok?

He can also buy cheaper transmissions and adapter plates. 6 speed 350z transmissions are in the $500 range and I'm seeing rumors of adapter plates on the internet, so we'll see.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

$2k is too much IMHO. Can't you get a Z28 half cut for that with an LS1 and T56? I could be off, but a wrecked donor should go for less than their price.

I think you should be buying the donor and doing the pull yourself. It will help immensely in the "where the gently caress does that go" department.

I completely agree on the donor car, but prices are always crazy inflated where I live. Beat-to-poo poo Camaros and Firebirds with V6 engines and auto transmissions are selling in the 4k range. V8 models that actually run won't dip below 6k, and V8 models with manual transmissions are in the 8-10k range. Too rich for my blood. There just isn't a good donor vehicle with the engine or transmission that I'm looking for unfortunately, so I'm stuck with buying things piecemeal.

The problem with junked or wrecked cars in California is that they don't go to junkyards unless they are 20 years old or so. The newest cars you'll find in junkyards are maybe late 90s to early 2000's, and those are usually beat up Hyundais that have already been picked clean. The more modern cars that get wrecked get bid on by auto dismantlers who then sell the parts to dealers and people like me for a premium.

Of course there is a running '93 SC400 for $750 10 miles from me...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mike_P posted:

Its like the sportier Canadian cousin of the Aston Martin Lagonda.

Refreshed version ditched the popups for 6(!) Halogens

The Lagonda has always been my secret auto crush. It's so loving ugly and I love it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bucephalus posted:

Choose any 3.

Always sandbag on shifting like a truck. Why have all that torque in the first place?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I think I paid 400 for my complete 4.8 but 500-600 for a complete motor 4.8 or 5.3 and wire harness/ecu seems about average. But that is the cheap part, beware of the hidden costs of the swap they really add up quick. You will need an oilpan and dipstick from a car since the truck one is really deep. You will also more than likely a a car intake, TB, and accessories. And finally you will have to have the security disabled by a tuner or by hptuners and do it yourself. Your really should see about a parts car if you want ac and everything.

But If you can get away with truck stuff I got an intake and crap you can have.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

The Lagonda has always been my secret auto crush. It's so loving ugly and I love it.
And not only is it ugly, but it's also such an engineering disaster it could fill an entire mechanical failures thread by itself.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Holdbrooks posted:

I think I paid 400 for my complete 4.8 but 500-600 for a complete motor 4.8 or 5.3 and wire harness/ecu seems about average. But that is the cheap part, beware of the hidden costs of the swap they really add up quick. You will need an oilpan and dipstick from a car since the truck one is really deep. You will also more than likely a a car intake, TB, and accessories. And finally you will have to have the security disabled by a tuner or by hptuners and do it yourself. Your really should see about a parts car if you want ac and everything.

But If you can get away with truck stuff I got an intake and crap you can have.

This is all fantastic advice, thank you. Where did you source your engine and everything if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like you spent $400 for what would cost me $1,300. That difference in price is a holset turbo, entire fuel system, and then some. Also I've looked for a parts/donor car and I'm coming up empty. Is there a secret to locating donor vehicles other than Craigslist?

I knew about the oil pan and intake needing to be swapped to fit, but wasn't aware of the security issue. If you have any other tidbits like that I'm all ears.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just won this on eBay.

It's a clutch and brake assembly from a 71-74 AMC Javelin. I guess I just made my manual transmission swap bed and now I have to sleep in it. Is that a correct metaphor? It's been a long week...

There is a GTO T56 near me on car-part.com for $1650, which seems to be the cheapest one I can find. The next cheapest is $2,500 for an F-body trans. Apparently all I need to do is buy a shifter cup and shifter for an F-body to shorten the shifter location by a couple inches compared to the GTO location. Now if only I had some visual aids to help you understand...

Boom!:

That little extra mount to the GTO transmission where the shifter is located adds 3 and a half inches to the length of the transmission, which is already 5 inches too long for my application to begin with. I'm hoping between pushing the engine an inch or so forward, cutting a bit of the fiberglass for the shifter to sit back a bit more, and possibly finding a shift lever that bends forward, I can get it all to play nice together.

Now that I have the clutch pedal assembly on the way, I need to figure out the linkage. Since the T56 is hydraulic, I will most likely be drilling a hole in the firewall and finding a way to mount a master cylinder. This is all new territory for me and I'm pretty excited about learning how all this works. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

I'm holding off on buying an engine until I have the rest of the car prepped for it. I'm probably going to go with the 55k mile 5.3 LS with harness and ECU for $1,300 as it's the cheapest I've located so far. Two other places came in at $1,500 for the same thing. What can I say, SoCal is expensive.

One of the first things I want to get figured out is the fuel system. I've decided on a plastic fuel cell for the e85. I measured the stock tank last weekend and came up with these measurements:

Length (rear of car to front): 17"
Width (Side to side): 32"
Height: 14"

I found this 16 gallon cell on Summit that looks like it will fit, assuming they switched the width and length.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290108/overview/

Length: 25"
Width: 17"
Height: 9"

I was getting ready to order it when I remembered the fuel filler neck on the Bricklin is behind the license plate. I have no experience with fuel cells, so can anyone school me on how fuel cells work as far as hooking up to filler necks? Do I need a special type of cell if it is filled at the back of the car vs. the side? Will they still automatically shut off at the fuel pump? Since the filler neck is at the back of the car, will fuel shoot up the neck and leak out on launches?

Here's the gas cap behind the license plate and the seemingly bottomless pit it leads to:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

BoostCreep posted:

One of the first things I want to get figured out is the fuel system. I've decided on a plastic fuel cell for the e85. I measured the stock tank last weekend and came up with these measurements:

Length (rear of car to front): 17"
Width (Side to side): 32"
Height: 14"

I found this 16 gallon cell on Summit that looks like it will fit, assuming they switched the width and length.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290108/overview/

Length: 25"
Width: 17"
Height: 9"

I was getting ready to order it when I remembered the fuel filler neck on the Bricklin is behind the license plate. I have no experience with fuel cells, so can anyone school me on how fuel cells work as far as hooking up to filler necks? Do I need a special type of cell if it is filled at the back of the car vs. the side? Will they still automatically shut off at the fuel pump? Since the filler neck is at the back of the car, will fuel shoot up the neck and leak out on launches?

Here's the gas cap behind the license plate and the seemingly bottomless pit it leads to:

I have been looking for the same thing, and couldn't find one that filled through a factory filler. All the fuel cells have to fill at the top with that red thing, which will be inside the car.

I was told to keep the factory tank.

Fuel shutoff when filling is handled by the pump when fuel touches it. doesn't matter too much if its filling from the side or the back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Maybe you should get an engine (dead one?) for mockup so none of these additions get in the way (like clutch master assembly).

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

BoostCreep posted:

I just found a very cool front end modification that might allow me to use an intercooler without needing to cut holes anywhere. Plus it looks really nice.

Problem is I don't know what headlights these are. Anyone have any ideas? I thought 90's Dodge Daytona at first, but after looking it up that's wrong. Google reverse image search just brings me to an out of date Geocities type page.

Those headloghts look like they're out of an 80s/90s Nissan sedan...

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blindjoe posted:

I have been looking for the same thing, and couldn't find one that filled through a factory filler. All the fuel cells have to fill at the top with that red thing, which will be inside the car.

I was told to keep the factory tank.

Fuel shutoff when filling is handled by the pump when fuel touches it. doesn't matter too much if its filling from the side or the back.

My factory tank has been sitting for 31 years with fuel in it. I'm going to assume the tank and everything associated with it are boned. I saw that POR15 has a gas tank restorer, but I don't think I want to modify the stock tank to be able to supply enough fuel for a turbo V8, and I still want to be able to put the car back to showroom stock if possible.

Here's what the hatch floor looks like. Hopefully this little tunnel where the fuel filler neck runs will give me enough room to use a fuel cell.

Sockington posted:

Maybe you should get an engine (dead one?) for mockup so none of these additions get in the way (like clutch master assembly).

Yeah, I'm going to have to get the engine sooner than later I'm starting to realize. I just wanted to have it ready to run for warranty purposes without going through the process of getting it to run on a stand first.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Try calling some local performance shops and see if they have any scrap blocks they could sell you.

They might even give you one once they know what you're doing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BoostCreep posted:

I'm not sure about the fuel cell aspect of this, but my Nova was set up the same way with the filler behind the plate. It will definitely keep you on your toes. The pump will shut off when the fuel hits it, but by that time the fuel is already hauling rear end up that filler tube and will not hesitate to burp all over the pump handle, your hand, the license plate, your pants, etc. If you pay attention, you can hear the tube filling up and stop it in time, though.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I don't care what anybody says, I'd rock the gently caress out of one of them in the estate/wagon version, even if it does look like a silly putty stretched version of a Volvo wagon.

I'm pretty drat excited to see how this weird Canadian plastic car ends up. It's strange enough as is, it'll be one hell of a conversation starter once you're done.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Boat posted:

I don't care what anybody says, I'd rock the gently caress out of one of them in the estate/wagon version, even if it does look like a silly putty stretched version of a Volvo wagon.

I don't know why I love that, but I do.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Boat posted:

I'm pretty drat excited to see how this weird Canadian plastic car ends up. It's strange enough as is, it'll be one hell of a conversation starter once you're done.

it looks like someone squashed a 1995 Cadillac Deville and used carpentry and bondo to stick a truck cap on the back of it.

/end derail

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Linedance posted:

it looks like someone squashed a 1995 Cadillac Deville and used carpentry and bondo to stick a truck cap on the back of it.

/end derail

I think the Lagonda is an awesome car, and I've got to say that, well, there is a reason there is only one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I decided to tackle the acrylic door skin today. I figured I'd start with the broken door so if I screwed up it wouldn't really matter.

Totally professionally installed 70's era weatherproofing: duct tape.

This was the process. Pretty simple. Heat gun, putty knife, repeat.

You can see what's left of the window peaking out the door.

And separated! (this actually took about two hours of heating and prying.)

There is definitely rust, but it seems to be all surface rust and fixable. I'm placing an order for POR15 for the doors and the front part of the frame and engine cradle.

I'm holding the outer window channel piece that snapped off the door frame. This will need to be welded.

God, so much glass EVERYWHERE!

This is the rip in the fiberglass at the top of the door. It actually doesn't look nearly as bad from the inside. The fiberglass could be fixed, but the acrylic is the big issue.

One Bricklin window, in super condensed form. Whoever I get for Secret Santa is gonna LOVE me!

Crack from the inside.

Crack from the outside.

Crack from the side.

So this actually went very well. I'm going to strip the other door and then find the best way to get them media blasted. Then I need to weld the cracks, weld on reinforcing supports to the arches so they don't break again, and buy upgraded window channel hardware. There's a window for sale on ebay right now so hopefully I will win that and have it arrive soon.

Then I have to buy the air door conversion for $1,300 and work on installing that.

So the good thing is while the doors will be expensive and awkward to handle at times, at least it's all straightforward work.

• Locked thread