Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

A tutorial doesn't add a whole lot to the game content other than 10 minutes of instruction that you'll only ever do once.

Instruction is an extremely important part of any complex game. I know tutorials aren't sexy, but they're necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Isn't Interstellar Marines that game that's been in development forever?

fake edit: yeah it started in 2005, not sure how I would feel about backing a game that's been in progress for so long.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Instruction is an extremely important part of any complex game. I know tutorials aren't sexy, but they're necessary.
For reference (and introduction, if anyone has missed this excellent series).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Axegrinder posted:

I've noticed a few old Kickstarters are returning for a second dip, such as Bionite Origins, FleetCOMM, and the Shadows of Esteren RPG.

I'm not sure I like this trend.

As in, they got their first Kickstarter's worth of money and are now asking for more?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yodzilla posted:

As in, they got their first Kickstarter's worth of money and are now asking for more?

No, as in, they failed miserably and are giving it a go again, sometimes with lower funding goals. Seems all right by me. It's not like they will be dumb enough to do a third attempt if they fail their second one; they would lose all credibility.

e: oh, wait, they aren't one of the failed repeats? They are actually asking for more money because they blew their previous funds on hookers? Screw that.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 29, 2012

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

Yodzilla posted:

Looks like it.

FleetCOMM got $17k (with $15k goal), and now it has a second kickstarter for $50k.

Guess the second one is for a sequel more content or something, plus an iOS port? Weird, none the less.

Cstar fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 28, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the first project is done? Sure. If it still remains to be seen that they'll have anything to port, or even expand upon, that's irresponsible at best.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It looks like they overestimated the cost to actually develop the game, so they are creating a Kickstarter for a port, when they really need the money to just finish the development of the original project. It looks like a lot of the core features still haven't been finished. I mean hell, they can't even release a Linux demo yet.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It looks like they overestimated the cost to actually develop the game, so they are creating a Kickstarter for a port, when they really need the money to just finish the development of the original project. It looks like a lot of the core features still haven't been finished. I mean hell, they can't even release a Linux demo yet.

If you write the code in C or LUA or something couldn't you just compile a Linux program as well as a windows one?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Why was the tutorial such a big stretch goal? How is that not a basic feature that's included from the start? That kind of made me not want to pitch in at all. They have some really bizarre design priorities.

They probably should have done something to make the info more prominent, but they addressed this in a comment a couple of weeks ago when the goal was revealed:

IdeaLcenter posted:

@Bradley Stephenson - There will be tutorial in our game! Just we want to move forward beyond standard tutorials.... and create something like "tutorial mini campaign" - where you can learn how to play and it won't be boring.. even if you know how to play ;)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

If you write the code in C or LUA or something couldn't you just compile a Linux program as well as a windows one?

It depends on what software you're building it on, but in general, no, it's not that simple.

If you're using an off-the-shelf engine like Unity or UE3, well, first of all, it needs support both windows and linux or you're poo poo out of luck. Even if it does, you need to make sure that you aren't using any platform-specific addon libraries, making platform-specific modifications to the engine, or bypassing the platform-independent parts (calling os.getenv("USERPROFILE") to find out where to save your games? That poo poo won't fly anywhere but windows).

If you're building your own engine from scratch, all of the above still applies but now you don't get that safety cushion of "well, as long you stick to using the engine's supplied APIs and tools, it's guaranteed to be portable".

And then, once you have running (and optimized, and tested) on everything, you get to package it for release, which is, in most cases, a totally different process for each OS.

Making cross-platform software isn't as hard as a lot of people seem to think it is, especially if you plan for it from day one, but it's still not as simple as "write program in a cross-platform language, there, you're done".

(If you're porting existing software, even if it does build and run without modification, you'll at least want some sort of budget for testing.)

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Cstar posted:

Looks like it.

FleetCOMM got $17k (with $15k goal), and now it has a second kickstarter for $50k.

Guess the second one is for a sequel more content or something, plus an iOS port? Weird, none the less.

Oh hey, I went to school with one of the devs on that project. Biggest loving douchebag I have ever met.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well I'm glad that people apparently aren't tolerating the double dipping much. $306 in the first 30 or so hours for FleetCOMM's second run. Bionite Origins is getting an equally abysmal amount of pledges. Creating a second kickstarter while your game is still in development only serves to embarrass. I know it's ostensibly for added content and ports, but I'm not sure how much I buy that. And the more times you have to go back to kickstarter before actually delivering a product, the scummier you look.

For Shadows of Esteren, it seems like their new kickstarter campaign is at least for a new project. Their previous one already shipped, as far as I can tell. I do wish they'd try to make a better effort to sell their products outside of kickstarter instead of relying on Kickstarter as the sole source of revenue. I always thought Kickstarter was, well, for kickstarting. It's not a permanent business solution, but a way to get your business started.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well I'm glad that people apparently aren't tolerating the double dipping much. $306 in the first 30 or so hours for FleetCOMM's second run. Bionite Origins is getting an equally abysmal amount of pledges. Creating a second kickstarter while your game is still in development only serves to embarrass. I know it's ostensibly for added content and ports, but I'm not sure how much I buy that. And the more times you have to go back to kickstarter before actually delivering a product, the scummier you look.

For Shadows of Esteren, it seems like their new kickstarter campaign is at least for a new project. Their previous one already shipped, as far as I can tell. I do wish they'd try to make a better effort to sell their products outside of kickstarter instead of relying on Kickstarter as the sole source of revenue. I always thought Kickstarter was, well, for kickstarting. It's not a permanent business solution, but a way to get your business started.

Maybe. On the one hand, I can see why people would get to wondering why they have to constantly fund these guys if they've successfully started selling their game, but on the other some absolutely great games sometimes don't sell very well because of tough markets or because it is a very difficult genre to get the general public interested in. Not to mention the massive outpouring of money to some kickstarters might mean there aren't as many people to actually buy the game at launch.

A lot of kickstarter games are ones that are part of either a (presumed to be) dying breed or ones that can't compete with regular blockbusters for cash. So you might be inclined to hand over up to 4-5 times as much as you would for a normal game in pledges just to see another game like it actually make it to the market. But the people who then end up buying it afterwards probably wouldn't, so you might see very little money actually available to make sequels. At least, that's a possibility, since we haven't had that many actual games come out yet to test that idea out yet. Besides possibly FTL, which sold amazingly well, or so I hear. Which I hope is the actual result of most kickstarters who get funded :)

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 29, 2012

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Shadows of Esteren is for a new product, but it's a product that backers of their last project got in pdf form (as a stretch goal) and it's an 80 page preview of stuff that's in the book they already kickstarted and the first book wasn't even enough to play the game and :psyduck:
There is a lot wrong with the new Esteren kickstarter but they are technically doing a new project.

For tabletop RPGs I totally get doing a second round for kickstarters for some of the small press folks - I'm looking into it for the next set of books I'm releasing - but there are a lot of RPG folks doing it all wrong. There is a lot of really, really dumb poo poo going on with RPG companies, both indie and established, and I could go on for pages about it. Probably better suited for the trad games kickstarter thread though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nyaa posted:

A new PC game kickstarter is up that's based on the Tabletop game Ars Magica. Seems to be a turn based wizard factions generational raising sim that might be similiar to King of Dragon Pass.

Edit: There's a free 4th edition pdf of the Ars Magica rulebook in the faq too.

They are 33% of the way to the deadline (10 days elapsed, out of 30 days) but have less than 15% of the required funding pledged ($40,384 out of $290,000). Seems like it won't be funded. A shame, but I guess it is not surprising, given that the project is by a relatively obscure group (Black Chicken Studios) for a game based on a relatively obscure licensed property (Ars Magica).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know; perhaps with a little promotional help (I certainly hadn't heard about this anywhere except this SA thread) it could make it, especially among the Academagia-loving crowd.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

They are 33% of the way to the deadline (10 days elapsed, out of 30 days) but have less than 15% of the required funding pledged ($40,384 out of $290,000). Seems like it won't be funded. A shame, but I guess it is not surprising, given that the project is by a relatively obscure group (Black Chicken Studios) for a game based on a relatively obscure licensed property (Ars Magica).

Like I mentioned, they needed actual UI mockups and a lower entry point to take off. Right now it's a cat in a bag for about ten dollars more than I'd ever be willing to pay for a cat in a bag.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Cicero posted:

Isn't Interstellar Marines that game that's been in development forever?

fake edit: yeah it started in 2005, not sure how I would feel about backing a game that's been in progress for so long.

I don't really care honestly, what is important is what they have now, and it's great

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

FleetCOMM is actually triple-dipping.
After their first kickstarter ended, they started an (unsuccessful) Indie-gogo flex funding campaign. http://www.indiegogo.com/fleetcomm
They're also proud of the fact that they lack any sort of business plan for this thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/126rw7/fleetcomm_kickstarter_relaunch/c6sodxw?context=3

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TwoDayLife posted:

FleetCOMM is actually triple-dipping.
After their first kickstarter ended, they started an (unsuccessful) Indie-gogo flex funding campaign. http://www.indiegogo.com/fleetcomm
They're also proud of the fact that they lack any sort of business plan for this thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/126rw7/fleetcomm_kickstarter_relaunch/c6sodxw?context=3
I tried the demo for FleetCOMM just to see if I could be justifiably mad at them for this stuff and although all the buttons work, there's zero game. The Kickstarter says that they just want money to port the game to mobile devices, but that sounds a bit like BS to me. If they have enough money to finish the PC version, why not just finish it, sell it, and use the profits to fund a mobile port? If that doesn't work, then they can try for a Kickstarter again, but as of right now I'm guessing that maybe their original Kickstarter wasn't enough cash for them to finish and now they need to raise more under the guise of porting it.

Which is what Star Command did too, come to think of it, right? Except the other way around: mobile to PC.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Not a videogame, but a boardgame.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/nothing-personal-0
Nothing Personal, it's gangster themed negotiation game. I'll let this video explain how the game works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzu217lxkWs
Ah I see. Though this isn't my kickstarter, so I thought I'd post this in the general game kickstarter thread. Didn't know that thread also allowed for general kickstarter boardgames, reference taken!

jvempire fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 30, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

jvempire posted:

Not a videogame, but a boardgame.

For reference, Trad Games has its own crowdfunding thread.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Are the dudes who are making Kinetic Void still around? What media outlets did you contact about your Kickstarter campaign and how did you approach them? Are there designated Kickstarter sites or authorities to contact? What did you guys do for publicity and what worked the best? Is there any general advice you could give? I've heard that Kickstarter campaigns are 24/7 jobs - should I expect a full month of NONSTOP PRODUCT SHILLING?

I hope you or any other Kickstarter veterans see this! Any advice would be appreciated! We are doing this very soon and I am feeling very apprehensive!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chef Boyardee posted:

I hope you or any other Kickstarter veterans see this! Any advice would be appreciated! We are doing this very soon and I am feeling very apprehensive!
Don't try and kickstart early prototypes that still show as little more than "like X, but on Y". This is my sage advice.

Also, you want to talk to media BEFORE the Kickstarter is live. Have day one posts, interviews, etc lined up, and make sure they've all played your demo. Everyone but the casual KS user should know and be excited about your game a week before you actually start the funding drive.

Also also, end the drive at a time when people are around and reading blogs/game news. The last 48 hours is critical, and should be timed to allow for lots of "they're only $2k away!" posts by media folks, backers, etc.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 31, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As Shalinor said, the first 72 and the last 48 hours are the biggest funding periods. You need to hit the ground running and do a media blitz- make sure to try and get your KS on every major news site (Kotaku, RPS, Giant Bomb are probably the "big three", and you want to get either an article about your KS or the KS itself to trend on r/gaming (a note: r/gaming isn't accepting Kotaku links because of their :reddit: meltdown about Gawker media, so you'll want to be featured on more than just Kotaku). Schedule an AMA with the mod staff of r/IAMA to launch somewhere either in the middle of your KS or at the end of your KS, for a renewed interest in your game.

The last 48 hours should probably rest on the weekend, when most people will be not working and able to access your KS at any time. You might want to do a livestream party of the last couple of hours, I dunno if it helps but when the Obsidian guys did it they made 15k in the last 90 seconds of the KS.

This is the sequel to SUaJ:G, right? Because if it is you're gonna be very likely to get funded very quickly, even if your pitch is the worst ever since you have prior, publicly available for free success with creating product. Your game is a pretty big hit and I would be most worried about stretch goals- you need to make sure you've planned out stretch goals for at least being up to 300% funded, and you might need even more than that if your starting amount you're asking for is low enough. Definitely make sure that at every moment your KS is alive that there's a stretch goal to fund for- every time there isn't, that's money you could be having that's being unfunded into your project- people love stretch goals.

All this remaining advice is working under the assumption that the KS is for the sequel to SUaJ:G:

Make sure to include the original game as a download link on your KS, so new people can experience the greatness of the first game and be more likely to back. Try and get in contact with Andrew Hussie (creator of MSPA) and ask him to mention your KS on his website if he could- Homestuck has referenced your game quite a bit and if you're able to get even a fraction of the MSPA fans to back you you're guaranteed to get funded.

Anyways more generally don't include a bunch of physical rewards in your tiers, and if you do make sure to make a rough estimate of how much that poo poo'll cost per item manufactured to make sure you're not losing money on a reward tier.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Megazver posted:

Like I mentioned, they needed actual UI mockups and a lower entry point to take off.
Speaking of UI mockups, another Ars Magica kickstarter update to explain more about the game and...

The Adventure UI (Dialogue variant) that you interacted with when you are questing!

Note: The stuff on the bottom left and right are spells. The one of the left side is detection-like spells while the one on the right is mind spells. :pseudo:

Edit: I think the spell are just in that order instead of separated by type.

Edit 2: According to the dev in the comment, the spell and text panel can be resized and spell section can even be reduced to icons to allow more room for the bottom text area. Apparently the event art can also be resized and it will scale within some boundary.

Along with a little add on to the front page that talk about the game phase of "Covenant gameplay, quests, battle, magic, personalities and time."

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 31, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of UI mockups, another Ars Magica kickstarter update to explain more about the game and...

This is looking a lot like Ars Magicka of Dragon Pass.

I've got a moratorium on kickstarters for the moment, but I'll definitely be checking this out once it's released.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

gibbed posted:

:(

Have they said anything to indicate they're going to try something else? I don't see anything on the Kickstarter page.

Sad, but a very good example of what happens when you don't advertise your Kickstarter. I just stumbled across it by accident and plonked down a pledge as a show of support, but I found it with 6 days to go and knew straight away that it wasn't going to be successful. Hopefully they'll learn and get the word out properly this time.

Speaking of getting the word out, check out Strike Suit Zero, a space/mech shooty sim with hot laser death and explosions. Seems they need the Kickstarter to publish the game rather then develop it, and the video looks very sweet. I mean, look at all that dakka! Plus if you can turn into a mech and use melee attacks, there's the very real possibility of punching a capital ship to death :black101: Must go find out.....

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

This is looking a lot like Ars Magicka of Dragon Pass.

I've got a moratorium on kickstarters for the moment, but I'll definitely be checking this out once it's released.

If.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Shadowgate expanded their $30 tier (soundtrack, artbook, game) to include the map (image only, no feely) and a calendar with more concept art.

Also they're at about 50% with 25 days to go :toot:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So there's now also a kickstarter for an Outpost-esque game by Simon Roth, who I guess is a semi-big deal with indie gamers? I wouldn't know anything about that, but it sure does look good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

I didn't miss this one already being posted, right?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It is definitely not a Kickstarter yet, but Ragnar Tornquist just went independent, and got the rights to The Longest Journey back.

I would be very, very surprised if we didn't see a KS for the third game in the series soon. I am so freaking excited - the last game ended on a cliffhanger, and the writing has been fantastic throughout the series.

EDIT: VV yes. I honesty loved Dreamfall. The action stuff was pretty easy, and it took the story in a unique direction. The biggest issues when it came out were that it was short / puzzles were often too easy / standard adventure game complaints, but now you can get it for super cheap, so whatevs.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 1, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shalinor posted:

It is definitely not a Kickstarter yet, but Ragnar Tornquist just went independent, and got the rights to The Longest Journey back.

I would be very, very surprised if we didn't see a KS for the third game in the series soon. I am so freaking excited - the last game ended on a cliffhanger, and the writing has been fantastic throughout the series.

Is it worth going back and playing Dreamfall if he announces his intention to finish the series (although I guess licencing the properties is as good as that)? I didn't get very far because of the action stuff they put in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Hell yes, I would Kickstart the hell out of that.

Dreamfall was a deeply flawed game, but drat if the continuing story wasn't engaging. And the original was a solid adventure game.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

evilmiera posted:

So there's now also a kickstarter for an Outpost-esque game by Simon Roth, who I guess is a semi-big deal with indie gamers? I wouldn't know anything about that, but it sure does look good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

I didn't miss this one already being posted, right?

I never played the first, but I put a lot of time into Outpost 2 when I was a kid. I don't know how much it would hold up for me now, but I really enjoyed the blend of Sim City and Command and Conquer at the time. It was also really cool to me that the game came with a digital novel.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shalinor posted:

New RPS article with Tornquist says there will be a Kickstarter, though not yet.

They don't really have much to show right now, so not yet, but he said there will be one. Probably early next year.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just hope that he doesn't try to make it episodic, like he suggested after Dreamfall was released.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bieeardo posted:

I just hope that he doesn't try to make it episodic, like he suggested after Dreamfall was released.

The interview suggests that it probably won't be and that "Chapters" has more to do with the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Things are not looking so good for Hero-U.